• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts, Media Create 9/12-9/18

VerTiGo

Banned
moku said:
I know this will sound strange, but hear me out for a second.(All this relates ONLY TO JAPAN)

Could Sony, by releasing a handheld, and getting trounced by Nintendo, be, in a way, setting itself up for a losing effort with the PS3? My thinking goes like this;

Gamecube gets killed by PS2, gamers see Sony as king and keep buying products.

PSP gets killed by DS/Micro, gamers see Nintendo as king, keep buying products.

Couple that with the fact that the Revolution seems to be like a console version of the DS(By that I mean, new, and interesting) could the unthinkable happen, and we see a complete reversal in Japan?

I know this sounds wacky, but public image is a big deal, and the VERY public killing of the PS in Japan may lead the Revoltion/PS3 battle into the same direction. I KNOW this is COMPLETE conjecture, but hey, it's late, and I'm completly dumbfounded at the sales of Mario brothers.

Oh yeah, Mario brothers will be available for download on launch in Japan right?

I mean who would have thought that the DS would be just on cruise controll like this?

While I don't share the same opinions on you... Since, the Revolution the Revolution will be offering a much more expanded form of interactive gaming compared to the Nintendo DS, I think Japanese audiences will warm up to it very well. I think greater sales performance than the GameCube is almost guaranteed, if not a significant increase.

KINGMOKU

VerTiGo said:
While I don't share the same opinions on you... Since, the Revolution the Revolution will be offering a much more expanded form of interactive gaming compared to the Nintendo DS, I think Japanese audiences will warm up to it very well. I think greater sales performance than the GameCube is almost guaranteed, if not a significant increase.
Well, it's not really an opinion, it's more of a "I wonder". type of moment.

It just blows me away when I KEEP SEEING those brain fucking games, week after week. I mean c'mon already. I'm sure everyones taught it to roll over by now ffs.

Mrbob

moku said:
I know this will sound strange, but hear me out for a second.(All this relates ONLY TO JAPAN)

Could Sony, by releasing a handheld, and getting trounced by Nintendo, be, in a way, setting itself up for a losing effort with the PS3? My thinking goes like this;

Couple that with the fact that the Revolution seems to be like a console version of the DS(By that I mean, new, and interesting) could the unthinkable happen, and we see a complete reversal in Japan?

I know this sounds wacky, but public image is a big deal, and the VERY public killing of the PS in Japan may lead the Revoltion/PS3 battle into the same direction. I KNOW this is COMPLETE conjecture, but hey, it's late, and I'm completly dumbfounded at the sales of Mario brothers.

Oh yeah, Mario brothers will be available for download on launch in Japan right?

I mean who would have thought that the DS would be just on cruise controll like this?

I think the problem is that most of the high profile PSP games in Japan are console ports. PS3 is getting new iterations of heavy hitter franchises.

Rock_Man

heidern said:
I like being right. :)

Yes you were right, but I wasn´t wrong ;)

Games with sales of over 100k usuallyranks higher than brain training for more than one day.

I admit though that my predictions were a bit off this week.

cvxfreak

Seeing micro's predictions at over 150K, I gotta help but wonder. Some retailers said it did slower than the SP, which was 100K or so. FF Tactics Advance and Metroid Fusion were out then, too.

I gather in early 2003 in Japan, a million gamers already bought an old GBA with Pokemon, and in 2005, where GBASP sales have dropped dramatically, the demand for the micro is much higher this time.

Unison

Was this the week of the White PSP + FFVIIAC?

Wasn't this supposed to be when the tide turned, if it was going to?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Unison said:

Well, WE9 did sell very well for a PSP title, and I'm sure the PSP got a nice sales boost from that and FFVIIAC. Maybe even enough to come close to the DS. Except Micro kinda blew both away.

heidern

Unison said:

Gamescience said:
According to the Yahoo Oricon DVD weekly charts, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Chldren was the number one selling DVD in Japan during the week of 12 - 18 September. The number one ranking for the week was the Metal Package; the fifth on the ranking was the Advent Pieces Limited Edition and number nine was the regular edition.
Yes this was supposed to be the week of the tide turning. However it's not over yet, after all psp sales did increase. Tommorow also sees the release of 4 brand new psp games including Gundam Battle Tactics and Princess Crown. So yeah there is some fight there. Unfortunately it all got railroaded by the GBM+Mario/Tamagotchi+Brain Training combo. Next week also sees Screw Breaker for GBA which could be pretty huge.

Oh and is Tamagotchi the most successful game for its developer? Cos I know they've mainly been doing niche stuff before now.

BTW Famitsu updated their charts, they have Naruto RPG 2 at 90,006 and Power Pocket Koushien at 66,446. Dunno how that compares with expectations after the initial cries of bomba?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
moku said:

Yes and no.

Let's assume that the DS continues to dominate the charts until next year. You may not see the Playstation brand weaken, but you will see the Nintendo brand strengthen. People like to say that Nintendo is irrelevant, but after a year plus of commanding sales, there's no room for that claim. Confidence in the name "Nintendo" will be improved in the eyes of the consumers, the media, developers, and retailers.

If Sony doesn't do something, if Nintendo doesn't screw up and is able to recreate the DS with the REV... then I'd say the Japan is very much in play next-gen.

JJConrad said:
Yes and no.

Let's assume that the DS continues to dominate the charts until next year. You may not see the Playstation brand weaken, but you will see the Nintendo brand strengthen. People like to say that Nintendo is irrelevant, but after a year plus of commanding sales, there's no room for that claim. Confidence in the name "Nintendo" will be improved in the eyes of the consumers, the media, developers, and retailers.

If Sony doesn't do something, if Nintendo doesn't screw up and is able to recreate the DS with the REV... then I'd say the Japan is very much in play next-gen.

I <3 your wisdom :D

Drakken said:
What is "Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brother" and how is it different from the NES Classic title of the same name that was released last year?
Famicom Mini is just the Japanese name for what America got as the NES Classics line. Same old game, just rereleased for the 20th anniversary and GB Micro.

Zeo

Banned
I thought UMD movies sold like crap in Japan compared to the US. Why would anyone think an FFVII movie on UMD would create some huge PSP sales boost when it's on DVD as well? The white PSP and WE, but not a UMD movie.

mj1108

No telling what DS numbers may end up being since last week they came out at 48k and that was with no new releases.

My MC predictions:

PSP: 45k
DS: 75k

I think Tamagochi + steady Brain Training sales will put it up over last week.

cvxfreak

If DS sales aren't above last week's (or this week's PSP for that matter), then Japan is officially weird.

It has to be higher, because of Tamagotchi and Gyakuten Saiban, and higher Brain Training sales.

Can't wait for tomorrow night! :D

mj1108

PezRadar said:
you think mc is going ot be 9k off by dengeki numbers for hardware o_O?

Shit, I forgot about that. Since Dengeki's been pretty close lately, 54k is a good ballpark number. I guess the only number to really "predict" would be DS numbers. It's late. I need sleep.

happy easter!

b0054884_21224178.jpg

Thomper

Drakken said:
What is "Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brother" and how is it different from the NES Classic title of the same name that was released last year?
NES Classics are named Famicom Mini in Japan. So yes, this is the rerelease of a rerelease of a 20 year old game, for a rererelease of a 5 year old piece of hardware. :lol

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
NDS Gyakuten Saiban DS (Capcom) - 65,000 (NEW)

Does this include the LE edition or not?

If so, okay.

If not, great!

Izzy

Banned
1 GBA M 148,000
2 DS 62,000
3 PSP 55,000
4 PS2 23,000
5 GBA SP 14,000
6 GC 2,000

Hahaha - it looks like I was wrong again. My PSP prediction was 35k.

AniHawk

Izzy said:
1 GBA M 148,000
2 DS 62,000
3 PSP 55,000
4 PS2 23,000
5 GBA SP 14,000
6 GC 2,000

Hahaha - it looks like I was wrong again. My PSP prediction was 35k.

I was wrong too. My DS prediction was 36k!

Culex

Banned
Awesome.

About 12 more hours for MC's hardware numbers to come out. Hopefully, the difference between DS/PSP is greater than Dengeki's :)

WEOWNED. PSPOWNED.

ziran

masud said:
Could someone post some pics of the Tamagotchi game? I still haven't seen it.
ss01.gif
ss02.gif

you create and maintain a shop.
...In Tamagotchi: Corner Shop, players help Mametchi, Memetchi or Kuchipatchi set up a shop, with the ultimate goal of creating a "royal" shop that is a favorite of Princess Tamako. Players can select from a variety of different stores, including a bakery, beauty salon, dentist's office, flower shop, and more. Once the shop is open, players will help their customers by completing mini games with the Nintendo DS stylus. Players apply makeup, treat cavities, decorate cakes and complete many other shop-specific tasks to earn Gs, the Tamagotchi money unit, and progress towards "royal" shop status! Shop interiors can be customized, and cute Tamagotchi characters will make appearances throughout the game...

Razoric

Banned
Damn for everyone saying PSP is 'dead' in Japan, 55k in one week is fucking great. It's not beating DS of course but at least Sony is holding it's own in the handheld market. This also proves the PSP WILL SELL if Sony would just get some more godddamn games out for it!

Aehm, there were three major releases - WE9 PSP, FF AC UMD and the white PSP, that's nothing you can just release every week...

Razoric

Banned
Frankfurter said:
Aehm, there were three major releases - WE9 PSP, FF AC UMD and the white PSP, that's nothing you can just release every week...

so? my point still stands that the system will sell if its supported with games. and FF AC UMD means jack shit because most will just buy the DVD version.

Razoric said:
Damn for everyone saying PSP is 'dead' in Japan, 55k in one week is fucking great. It's not beating DS of course but at least Sony is holding it's own in the handheld market. This also proves the PSP WILL SELL if Sony would just get some more godddamn games out for it!

Well, the difference of course is that the DS this week managed to amass its sales based on the strength of its software, whereas the PSP had a new hardware color in addition to its old and new software. If the PSP can use this week's surge as a springboard to further success, then great. But there is still a very real danger that it will fall back to its previous levels. Next week will be interesting - the PSP software releases should allow Sony to retain some of the additional marketshare they captured this week.

jarrod

Banned
Razoric said:
and FF AC UMD means jack shit because most will just buy the DVD version.
I'd say the same of WE9 honestly. :p

PSP's problem has never been a lack of games... it's actually gotten more releases than DS so far in Japan and never had a dry period like DS suffered it's 2nd-3rd months. The real problem is PSP lacking almost entirely in unique "only on PSP" games. Which at least SCEI looks to be trying to correct recently with stuff like Loco Roco, Monster Kingdom, Fukufuku Island, Talkman and Beit Hell. Sony now finds itself in the situation Nintendo was in 2001 though... splitting resources to try and handle 2 simultaneous platforms. It's pretty clear PSP won't survive long in Japan as just a handheld PS2, so now Sony's job becomes a lot tougher....

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The PS2 didn't do so well this week.

Then again, for how old it is and for how many people probably already have one, I suppose it's still selling pretty well.

Razoric said:
so? my point still stands that the system will sell if its supported with games. and FF AC UMD means jack shit because most will just buy the DVD version.

Where is the point? You could sell a NES for 500 Dollar in Japan if you would have Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy exclusive. Of course a system sells if it is early in it's lifecycle, gets a new color, a new game and a new UMD...

Razoric

Banned
jarrod said:
I'd say the same of WE9 honestly. :p

PSP's problem has never been a lack of games... it's actually gotten more releases than DS so far in Japan and never had a dry period like DS suffered it's 2nd-3rd months. The real problem is PSP lacking almost entirely in unique "only on PSP" games. Which at least SCEI looks to be trying to correct recently with stuff like Loco Roco, Monster Kingdom, Fukufuku Island, Talkman and Beit Hell. Sony now finds itself in the situation Nintendo was in 2001 though... splitting resources to try and handle 2 simultaneous platforms.

I would agree with you on that. Not to mention the fact that Sony lacks a "war chest" to grab old classics from. I mean look at Super Mario Bros. That shit still sells like hot cakes. Sony really doesnt have anything like that. They have to get other companies to follow suit. Could you imagine a Dragon Quest 1-6 Collection UMD? Holy hell. Or a Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 UMD (either seperate or together). They are getting the ball rolling with Suikoden 1&2 on UMD but that's a little too niche to make a huge difference. They need more popular 'classics' re-released for the PSP. Throw in some original, exclusive games (loco roco) and then you'll be getting somewhere. Releasing PS2 games on PSP isn't gonna do much.

Razoric

Banned
Frankfurter said:
Where is the point? You could sell a NES for 500 Dollar in Japan if you would have Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy exclusive. Of course a system sells if it is early in it's lifecycle, gets a new color, a new game and a new UMD...

uh my point is the system isn't nearly as 'dead' in japan as certain fanboys make it out to be. 55k in one week regardless of wtf was released is pretty damn good imo.

jarrod

Banned
Razoric said:
I would agree with you on that. Not to mention the fact that Sony lacks a "war chest" to grab old classics from. I mean look at Super Mario Bros. That shit still sells like hot cakes. Sony really doesnt have anything like that. They have to get other companies to follow suit. Could you imagine a Dragon Quest 1-6 Collection UMD? Holy hell. Or a Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 UMD (either seperate or together). They are getting the ball rolling with Suikoden 1&2 on UMD but that's a little too niche to make a huge difference. They need more popular 'classics' re-released for the PSP. Throw in some original, exclusive games (loco roco) and then you'll be getting somewhere. Releasing PS2 games on PSP isn't gonna do much.
Agreed, though getting FF & DQ collections seems difficult as Square Enix has already voiced their intentions not to just do ports on PSP. With the older FC/SFC FF & DQ games too, there's likely more incentive to do GBA/DS releases anyway (userbase, R&D costs, etc).

SCEI seems to have snared Capcom already though with their Rockman remakes and a new Makaimura. But overall, it seems like companies are content to leave their FC/SFC "classics" on Nintendo handhelds while PSP gets mainly PSone/Saturn ports.

New content really is the holy grail though. I think Crisis Core is going to make or break PSP's Japanese future.

Top Bottom