• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Stuart444

Leaving tomorrow. It's been a fun trip though a very tiring one. Getting the airport limousine from the hotel to the airport in the morning.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka. Is there anything else I should see in Japan? I don't have to see more of Japan. There's still tons of the world to see. I'm just curious whether there's something else I should see for sure.

What's the best way to handle currency exchange?

My Credit Card doesn't charge any international fees, so I'll use it when I can, but having cash in hand seems like a good idea. Should I just have some USD in cash and exchange at the airport, use traveler's cheques, something else?

(My bank card fee is expensive enough that using it at an ATM would be a bad idea)

Bring USD and exchange at the airport in Japan. How much is the card fees for using the ATM abroad?

I've been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka. Is there anything else I should see in Japan? I don't have to see more of Japan. There's still tons of the world to see. I'm just curious whether there's something else I should see for sure.

Well I enjoyed going to Hokkaido at least.

Zoe

My Credit Card doesn't charge any international fees, so I'll use it when I can, but having cash in hand seems like a good idea. Should I just have some USD in cash and exchange at the airport, use traveler's cheques, something else?

(My bank card fee is expensive enough that using it at an ATM would be a bad idea)
Traveler's checks will get you better rates than cash, but apparently they're getting harder to find.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think when I am in Japan this weekend I will head to the sucide Forest. If I could die anywhere in Japan it might be there.

elhaym

Bring USD and exchange at the airport in Japan.

I was actually really surprised how good the exchange rate was at the bank at NRT. I think it was within 2 JPY or so of the "advertised" exchange rate.

For me, I think the 7-11 ATMs didn't have an international fee separate, but Wells Fargo's $5 transaction fee blooooooooooooooooows. Toward the end of my 2nd trip my CapitalOne360 card started working, and I think I didn't get hit with (visible) fees on either side somehow...

Yeah, bring cash and exchange at the airport. Worked great for me, and you definitely want cash on hand.

The ATMs at 7-11 do not have fees, which is awesome, but of course your bank will. How bad is it? Mine is $5 which seems standard and that honestly doesn't bother me. It was a small price to pay when I needed some extra cash in a fix. (You wouldn't want to keep doing that, obviously, but as a one time thing it doesn't hurt. Just try to get what you think you'll need at the airport and don't go blow it all straight away in shot bars like I did.)

Ratrat

Okinawa and Hokkaido.

Get tons of cash and store some in the hotel if you aren't comfortable carrying it around (although it's REALLY unlikely you'll get mugged). Many places take cards, but it's more convenient with cash in most cases. Also, for all that's holy, get a Suica card if you're staying in Tokyo. I can't begin to describe how useful it is.

Salamando

Yeah, bring cash and exchange at the airport. Worked great for me, and you definitely want cash on hand.

The ATMs at 7-11 do not have fees, which is awesome, but of course your bank will. How bad is it? Mine is $5 which seems standard and that honestly doesn't bother me. It was a small price to pay when I needed some extra cash in a fix. (You wouldn't want to keep doing that, obviously, but as a one time thing it doesn't hurt. Just try to get what you think you'll need at the airport and don't go blow it all straight away in shot bars like I did.)

It was $5 AND 3%. Pretty gross, and only something I'd want to use in an emergency.

cj_iwakura

Pleasantly surprised by the inn, suits me just fine. Shinagawa is nice, lots of stuff around here. My sleeping schedule is so shot, heh.

cj_iwakura

Any recommendations for breakfast or what people usually eat? Every place in shinagawa seems to be closed. Its 7AM here.
Maybe Anna Miller's at the station?

We go to a Café Veloce around here. I think it's a chain. Otherwise, just grab a can of (hot) latte from a machine and a sandwich from a Lawson or something and snack away.

Gvitor

Planning a trip to Japan later this year.

Probably a stupid question, but I see lots of people in this thread planning trips involving multiple cities, some lasting only 1 day. How are y'all handling accommodations? Change hotels every time or most tourist-centric cities are close enough that allow you to just hop on a train at the end of the day and stay in the same hotel during the whole trip?

Probably a stupid question, but I see lots of people in this thread planning trips involving multiple cities, some lasting only 1 day. How are y'all handling accommodations? Change hotels every time or most tourist-centric cities are close enough that allow you to just hop on a train at the end of the day and stay in the same hotel during the whole trip?

Yeah, Nara/Hiroshima/Himeji/Kobe is close enough to Kyoto/Osaka and Hakone/Nikko is close enough to Tokyo to do day trips.

I'm also planning a trip and I've been thinking about getting a hotel in the middle of the places I'd like to go. The bullet train is pretty quick, so you can just spend a day in one place and get back later in the day.

Last time I was in Japan, I was in Hiroshima for a study abroad program. Me and a few others took a day trip to Himeji, and it took like no time at all. We could have easily gone farther and still had a lot of time to do things.

daegan

Any recommendations for breakfast or what people usually eat? Every place in shinagawa seems to be closed. Its 7AM here.
Maybe Anna Miller's at the station?

Didn't check this yesterday, so glad you made it! We were in Shinjuku close to the station and made an expensive, but incredibly delicious, habit of hitting Gontran Cherrier in the morning...

Waiting for the Shinkansen from Atami to Kyoto now. Last night we stayed at Seizan Yamato, a ryokan in Ito, and it was incredible. We went overboard and even got a private bath on the balcony. I had tried to prepare myself for the food experience but I mean nothing can really prepare you for a baby squid, lol. It was all delicious though and that was probably the best nigt's sleep I've had since getting here. As we were leaving this morning they even apologized for not realizing my wife's birthday is later this week (the 15th!) I was floored. Anyway, up next is an airbnb for a few days and so as long as we find it okay, we should be good :) we have great directions though so I'm confident.

//ARCANUM

Hey! My wife and I are in Tokyo right now. We live in America but are considering buying an iPad Pro from the Apple Store here in Tokyo as opposed to waiting until back in the US. because we're impatient. Lol. Is this a bad idea? I assume it's the same iPad? You can just select English. Any problem with customs in the US?

//ARCANUM

Also does anyone know of any stores selling Evangelion merch currently besides the Evangelion store? Not looking for figures. More apparel and knick knacks.

elhaym

Also does anyone know of any stores selling Evangelion merch currently besides the Evangelion store? Not looking for figures. More apparel and knick knacks.

I didn't even -know- about the Eva store until I randomly walked into the PARCO building looking for the Tower Records, lol. Ended up buying one of the EVA TYPE 500 Skinkansen phone charms, a Sushio art... thing? and a set of branded fork/spoon hahaha. I'm a sucker, what can I say. The Shinkansen thing was important to me though, because there was no way I was actually riding the real train. =(

For USD at least. Some of the other rates sucks.

Oof, yeah, didn't realize that. =(

SKINNER!

Banned

Anywhere in Akiba? Like, I found Evangelion razors there. If they got Evengelion razors then they'll probably have what you're looking for...I mean...RAZORS! who needs Evengelion razors?!?! haha

Hey! My wife and I are in Tokyo right now. We live in America but are considering buying an iPad Pro from the Apple Store here in Tokyo as opposed to waiting until back in the US. because we're impatient. Lol. Is this a bad idea? I assume it's the same iPad? You can just select English. Any problem with customs in the US?

Why not just wait a bit or order one and have it waiting for you at the post office when you get home? A 128 GB 9.7 inch iPad Pro at Yodobashi camera is approx $850. The same one sold directly by Apple to the US is only $750. You're throwing money away.

As for customs, they have no idea of knowing what you brought with you or got while there, unless of course it's obviously from Japan. I wouldn't worry about that.

Today was Shinjuku. What a crazy place! We did the park first and it was amazing - well worth the effort but probably one of the last days it will be really pretty. We then went and found the Capcom Bar. It's pretty cozy and they have all themed food and stuff. I had a Rashid drink (lemonjuice and yoghurt) and a Miles Edgeworth cake tray. My friends got a Dante pizza and some onion rings for whoever, and a Jill Valentine drink. They also had some games set up, so I was inspired to go and buy Sengoku Basara 4 after that.

I had tracked down a band that was playing nearby, so we went looking. It took forever to find the place, as it turned out to be two floors down. Then we went inside and had to pay a 4100 yen fee. Well, okay then. And then we realized that we were in the wrong place. It was some visual kei group performing for a horde of screaming schoolgirls, which was kind of fun to watch until our ears fell off. Then I went looking and realized that we were supposed to go across the hall to another place.

This was a very small stage, like a tiny cinema theater, and it was only 1500 yen. The band was a small j-pop girl band called Electric Ribbon, and they were pretty good. It was hilarious how the audience (of mostly men aged 20-40) were as crazy as the schoolgirs, but the band had a great show. Then there was a meet-and-greet and they ushered us up on stage, so we got to talk to them a bit. I asked to buy their cd and got it signed. :)

We ended up not going to Robot Restaurant - as we went by the entrance and the thousands of "offices", it looked more and more like a tourist trap. I think we had more fun at this concert, even if we paid extra for a gig we didn't even stay for :D.

SKINNER!

Banned
Robot Restaurant a tourist trap but Capcom bar was ok? haha wat? Don't get me wrong, Capcom is cool if you like Capcom but the food and drink there is not that great at all.

cj_iwakura

I never thought too much anime could be a thing until I saw Akihabara. Good God. Got a copy of Tengai Makyou IV at Book Off for 500Y
Also Castle Shikigami 2 at Super Potato. :D

I feel like I got shafted when I bought the Narita express ticket. It was 3190y, and they said there was no Suica combo. Is there a way to get back to Narita using only the normal trains?

Pretty sure I'm going to need more yen, $200 isn't holding up well, heh.

I never thought too much anime could be a thing until I saw Akihabara. Good God. Got a copy of Tengai Makyou IV at Book Off for 500Y
Also Castle Shikigami 2 at Super Potato. :D

I feel like I got shafted when I bought the Narita express ticket. It was 3190y, and they said there was no Suica combo. Is there a way to get back to Narita using only the normal trains?

Try the Hyperdia-app.

This thing is pretty amazing and you can set it to different settings, whichever type of transportation you want to use.

Fritz

Any recs for a decent Onsen/Ryokan in Nikko?

First week of October and they are almost sold out on booking.com it seems.

Why not just wait a bit or order one and have it waiting for you at the post office when you get home? A 128 GB 9.7 inch iPad Pro at Yodobashi camera is approx $850. The same one sold directly by Apple to the US is only $750. You're throwing money away.

As for customs, they have no idea of knowing what you brought with you or got while there, unless of course it's obviously from Japan. I wouldn't worry about that.

I agree with this. Even if you get a deal or its on sale, you'll still end up paying more than you would in the US.

I ran into this when I needed a new digital camera. Spend about a week looking around different places. Eventually found a store that was on clearance and selling everything super cheap. And I still payed about what the normal US price would have been.

Then again, this was in 2012 and the yen was worth more.

//ARCANUM

We ended up getting one from the Ginza Apple Store. It was about $18 more than getting it in the US. And they did it as tax free. Now what I read online is that if you buy $800 of stuff, that's all non-taxed when going thru customs in the US. Everything over $800 is a flat 3% tax. Hopefully that's correct. Would mean the iPad was cheaper in the long run. And customs will know we bought it because they stapled the receipt into the passport and stamped it/the page it's on. And even if they charged us 3% tax on the whole thing, that's still cheaper than the sales tax in Texas where we live. We'll see what happens at customs I guess.

Top Bottom