• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I have some questions for anyone in Sapporo.

I'm going to Sapporo for the Snow Festival with a few friends next month. Aside from sightseeing, I'd like to look for illustration books, some games, and art supplies(Copic and other stuff).

A friend suggested a place called Daimarufujii CENTRAL (大丸藤井セントラル) for art supplies. Seems like it's near the Sapporo JR Tower that we will visit so I think that's good.

My friend had no idea about games unfortunately. I would like to look for some(hopefully cheap) old PS2, Game Boy/GBA and DS games like the Sega Ages series and Gamecenter CX 2.

I've seen people mentioned Book Off. Is it like a Goodwill store for books and games? I have also seen people mentioned Softmap. Which one has better selections and which one is easier to find? I thought Book off might be good as I can look for books there as well.

Also what's a good place to go to get some anime goods? I know a couple of kids who are into Sketdance so I'm hoping to get maybe character charms for them. I kinda want to get small Nintendo and Ultraman figurines for myself, too.

The trip is sadly only for a few days though so I won't have much time(not to mention my sense of direction is horrible). If possible I would like to find places that are in the same area to save time. We will be in Sapporo and Otaru.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Book Off is pretty good, but they seem to vary massively from location to location.

I'll be in Sapporo from 7-11 Feb. PM me if you want some Gaf chillin!

Trojan X

Banned
Saya,

I traveled to Tokyo for a couple weeks in September for TGS.

You're in for such a treat.

I've never felt more at home, at peace, alive and comfortable than 5000 miles away on the other side of the world where I could barely communicate and definitely didn't know my way around.

I stayed at Khaosan Kabuki, where you're staying too. Tsubasa, Chieko, Kana and Eriko, all the staff, are amazing and so are the facilities. Nicest place I've ever stayed.

Sensoji/Kaminarimon are the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I visited every day I was there. During the day with tons of people and at night being nearly alone. It was eye opening for me...I've never traveled that far or experienced people and culture so different. I came back transformed, a better person.

I really envy you. I can't wait to go back, next time traveling around the country, visiting Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Okinawa.

Enjoy.

I'm in Japan but I still envy what you say. I love those feelings, I understand yours completely, and I appreciate you sharing them here. Thank you.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000970988

Cherry blossom predictions.

Damn, I'm gonna miss it I think. :(

Do note that the best time to view cherry blossoms seems to be between 1-2 weeks after opening though:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

And this:
Be warned that such early forecasts have been rather inaccurate in past years. It is not usually until early March that the accuracy of cherry blossom forecasts increases to a more reliable level.

scarlet

Any recommendation for shoes?

I always have problem finding the right shoes for long walking.

I'm thinking something warm like boots but I'm not sure it's comfortable enough.

hwalker84

I'm thinking something warm like boots but I'm not sure it's comfortable enough.

Roshe Run's. I come from a cold climate so I don't wear boots. I like ultra comfort.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Anybody know how far in advance you can buy baseball tickets? Season hasn't started yet, of course. When my Dad and brother visit me in the spring I plan to take them to a Hanshin Tigers match.

tokkun

Focus on comfortable walking shoes. I got some brutal blisters from all the walking. If you are worried about cold, bring some thick wool socks. They'll take up less room in your luggage, and you can switch to normal socks if you find that you are not cold.

Saya

Saya,

I traveled to Tokyo for a couple weeks in September for TGS.

You're in for such a treat.

I've never felt more at home, at peace, alive and comfortable than 5000 miles away on the other side of the world where I could barely communicate and definitely didn't know my way around.

I stayed at Khaosan Kabuki, where you're staying too. Tsubasa, Chieko, Kana and Eriko, all the staff, are amazing and so are the facilities. Nicest place I've ever stayed.

Sensoji/Kaminarimon are the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I visited every day I was there. During the day with tons of people and at night being nearly alone. It was eye opening for me...I've never traveled that far or experienced people and culture so different. I came back transformed, a better person.

I really envy you. I can't wait to go back, next time traveling around the country, visiting Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Okinawa.

Enjoy.

Thanks! I'm quite excited for the trip. Great to hear all the positive feedback regarding the hostel Khaosan Kabuki. For some weird reason I always avoided staying in hostels.

Honestly slow. Work has me swamped all I know is my flight information but haven't planned out each days activities. I arrive in Tokyo at 5pm Saturday November 9th. Wherever I stay I just want to drop my bags and head out asap. Then I want to hit up some awesome Japanese hip hop club. Then see whats up Sunday and move to a new city Monday. Then keep on doing that for a few weeks coming back to Tokyo for the last few days before I leave.

Mufasa you want to go on a 3 week journey with me? Two black men in Japan!

Your trip sounds dope. I have nearly 2 months of vacation time I need to burn because I don't take off, and I've been trying to figure out what to do myself. I haven't taken off since I started working for more than a couple days, It's frightening.

Edit: Shit this thread is ancient.

Sallokin

Went to Ginza for the first time over the weekend. I've been in the Tokyo Station/Imperial Garden area before, but never took the time to explore.

I've never felt so poor in all my life...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Went to Ginza for the first time over the weekend. I've been in the Tokyo Station/Imperial Garden area before, but never took the time to explore.

I've never felt so poor in all my life...

Honestly, Ginza is for old people. I only buy jewelry there. Head to Omotesando for more varied shopping. Unless you actually are poor, then nevermind.

Japan is the less friendly wifi country I know. Be warned

Can't stress this enough. I took an impromptu week-long trip to Tokyo last fall, and I just assumed, with it being such a technologically developed city, that I could easily find wifi in the city. Definitely not the case at all. Barely found any usable wifi at all during my stay there.

Sallokin

Honestly, Ginza is for old people. I only buy jewelry there. Head to Omotesando for more varied shopping. Unless you actually are poor, then nevermind.

Ha ha yeah I've been. I just felt I needed to check that off my list. One of the ladies I work with used to work there and told me I needed to at least see it once.

scarlet

I read Japan Guide and hyperdia to check the routes like everyday and I still don't understand about the train system hahaha

Well I guess I'll just gonna get lost and enjoy it!

DTU

Banned
Well, my sightseeing planning is not complete yet...but so far:

Has anyone visited the Robot Restaurant? I believe Anthony Bourdain went there too. Reviews on tripadvisor are quite positive, it looks insane.

http://www.robot-restaurant.com

Robot Restaurant is a must do, but eat beforehand, like at Blackhole yakiniku in Kabukicho--very good. Don't skip Tsukiji; maybe skip the tuna auction and go at 830 for sushi.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I read Japan Guide and hyperdia to check the routes like everyday and I still don't understand about the train system hahaha

Well I guess I'll just gonna get lost and enjoy it!

It is impossible to get lost in Japan. Unless you cannot read.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can't stress this enough. I took an impromptu week-long trip to Tokyo last fall, and I just assumed, with it being such a technologically developed city, that I could easily find wifi in the city. Definitely not the case at all. Barely found any usable wifi at all during my stay there.

http://300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa/index_pc_en.html

This will save you so much pain. 380 Yen a month(!) for basically Wifi everywhere in all metropolitan areas...

Also for everyone going to Japan for the first time, I cannot recommend learning at least "katakana" enough. So much shit is actually written in English, but since it's katakana, foreigners can't read it. That "Lemon Ice Tea" on the menu looks like this: レモンアイスティー Which says exactly "Lemon Ice Tea", no translation needed. So if you have like... 2 spare weekends, learn Katakana! Also if you think that was pretty easy, just learn Hiragana as well. Suddenly your mobile dictionary will be incredibly useful!
ba-loai-chu-Kanji-Hiragana-Katakana-trong-tieng-nhat.jpg

hwalker84

You might be fucked then.

Yep. My sense of direction of fantastic. I was walking in Tokyo for about an hour. Took one call on Skype and my pocket WiFi almost died (was using it for navigation). My sense of direction kicked in and I had no issues getting back. I come from a city that doesn't have much on the form of public transportation compared to NYC or Chicago. It took. Me two days to understand the Tokyo system.

Fritz

Booked all my accomodation now:

Tokyo -> Staying at Nui Hostel in Kuramae
19 April
20 April
21 April
22 April
23 April

Japanese Alps -> Staying at the Hirayuno-mori (Onsen Ryokan)
24 April

Japanese Alps -> Staying at the Zenkoji Temple Inn in Takayama
25 April
26 April
27 April

Kyoto -> Staying in an apartment in a private house in the national museum area via AirBnB
28 April
29 April
30 April
1 May
2 May

Tokyo -> Staying at The Okura
3 May

It's all budget accommodation except for the Okura, which is one of the best hotels in town. The Nui seems less backpackery and more hip, which I like. The apartment seems really friendly and well kept. Got some raving reviews. The rest is very traditionally Japanese. I am super happy with my choices.

Will now start planning the details

Yep. My sense of direction of fantastic. I was walking in Tokyo for about an hour. Took one call on Skype and my pocket WiFi almost died (was using it for navigation). My sense of direction kicked in and I had no issues getting back. I come from a city that doesn't have much on the form of public transportation compared to NYC or Chicago. It took. Me two days to understand the Tokyo system.

I live in a place where we don't really have any sort of public transportation at all and I managed to learn the rails in a day. It's sooo easy to use, I wish we had something like that here. Though after a few weeks in Japan, I really did miss being able to drive places as well.

Apparently Nara police will be shipping back my lost phone to me :) Someone I met in Tokyo offered to help me contact them and she told me they'll ship it as long as I pay shipping (about $12).

scarlet

Is the Ghibli museum a day trip or more like a couple of hours? When do I have to apply for tickets?

Couple of hours, 4 times a day. You can buy the ticket in Lawson

For international ticket check MikeHattsu's post

If you're planning to go to the Ghibli Museum, you should buy tickets ASAP:
http://www.jtbgmt.com/eng/ghibli/TicketSystem.html

If you wait they might sell out. If you plan buy Japanese tickets, then you get assigned a time slot you have to be there (and they might be sold out anyway). With the international tickets you can go whenever you want to on that day.

I live in a place where we don't really have any sort of public transportation at all and I managed to learn the rails in a day. It's sooo easy to use, I wish we had something like that here. Though after a few weeks in Japan, I really did miss being able to drive places as well.

Apparently Nara police will be shipping back my lost phone to me :) Someone I met in Tokyo offered to help me contact them and she told me they'll ship it as long as I pay shipping (about $12).

So glad to hear your phone was found!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
going to be out in Japan for two weeks over Easter with my wife and kids, and we usually stay in Chiba (in-laws house) with day trips into the city etc. This year my wife is planning to take us to Hiroshima, and we'll visit Itsukushima Jinja while we are there (and obviously the atomic bomb memorial). As it is quite a trip from Tokyo we'll be staying for one or two nights so I was wondering what else there might be in the area.

Trojan X

Banned

Yes! Great news. See. Be kind to others and you will be rewarded. Let's hope it is not destroyed but at least your made friends during your adventure. Do not lose touch and look after your new if they come and visit you or vice versa. :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Tip about Ghibli Museum: if you happen to get a timed ticket and you're there early then sometimes they'll let you in early depending on how busy it is. I had a 2pm ticket and decided to check out Mitaka first before going to the museum. Arrived at the museum around 12.30-ish and the staff asked me if I had a ticket, I responded with "yes but my turn isn't until 2pm so I can wait", they just looked at my ticket and told me to go in. I was like "sweet!"

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
going to be out in Japan for two weeks over Easter with my wife and kids, and we usually stay in Chiba (in-laws house) with day trips into the city etc. This year my wife is planning to take us to Hiroshima, and we'll visit Itsukushima Jinja while we are there (and obviously the atomic bomb memorial). As it is quite a trip from Tokyo we'll be staying for one or two nights so I was wondering what else there might be in the area.

Itsukushima is sooo awesome. Try to get there when the tide is out so you can walk under the water tori. If you like oysters they ones they have there are quite amazing. The peace plaza is the most solemn thing I've been to. (get me teary eyed seeing school children leave flowers at the memorial). It's not a part of the plaza, but the hospital nearby is the actual epicenter. (worth being there just to say you stood at the very spot where it went off). Also if you're into baseball or haven't seen a japanese baseball game you should go to a Carps game. If you're into pool, the world's best pool cue tips (kamuis) are hand made by Masato Hiraoka in his workshop in Hiroshima. Nagarekawa is also fun at night.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Itsukushima is sooo awesome. Try to get there when the tide is out so you can walk under the water tori. If you like oysters they ones they have there are quite amazing. The peace plaza is the most solemn thing I've been to. (get me teary eyed seeing school children leave flowers at the memorial). It's not a part of the plaza, but the hospital nearby is the actual epicenter. (worth being there just to say you stood at the very spot where it went off). Also if you're into baseball or haven't seen a japanese baseball game you should go to a Carps game. If you're into pool, the world's best pool cue tips (kamuis) are hand made by Masato Hiraoka in his workshop in Hiroshima. Nagarekawa is also fun at night.

oh, we were going to time it for high tide for better photos. Might look again at that then, thanks.

Wife also tried to book into ANA's maintenance tour, but its fully booked until the summer. Going to the Gundam museum though. Not a huge fan of gundams, but they're iconic.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
oh, we were going to time it for high tide for better photos. Might look again at that then, thanks.

Wife also tried to book into ANA's maintenance tour, but its fully booked until the summer. Going to the Gundam museum though. Not a huge fan of gundams, but they're iconic.

As the tide is coming in is also nice. You get really amazing pictures of the sun setting over the tori. (I guess this is dependent on season as well since I went in the fall) So I guess it's really preference and what your schedule is like. You can also rent a canoe and row through the gate when the tide is up.

matt360

Itsukushima and Miyajima are amazing. I think I've already mentioned it in this thread, but I've probably been there about 30 or 40 times in the past 8 years and I still look forward to every visit. If you're into hiking (there's also a ropeway if you're not), you can go to the highest point on the island, called Mt. Misen. It's about 1 hour by hike and it's beautiful. Lots of stairs though. There are also a bunch of smaller temples and shrines scattered around Miyajima. Definitely check out Daishoin in addition to Itsukushima Shrine. There's also a newly-renovated aquarium pretty close by. I haven't been though so I can't comment on its quality. There's a shop on the main shopping street that sells "Age-momiji" which are deep-fried momiji manjuu cakes. They are cheap and they are amazing. I recommend the cream flavor. They look like this:
XCbybu3.jpg

You've also gotta try Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. Don't go to the Okonomimura building though because that place is just a tourist trap and their okonomiyaki is shitty. Go to places like みっちゃん or ごえもん (there are several) for the good stuff.
JnseVMA.jpg

Besides the A-Bomb Dome and Peace Park, there honestly isn't that much else to do. Shopping on Hondori is alright, but compared to Tokyo it's a joke. If you're into craft beer, Hiroshima has a few great beer bars. Phi's, Golden Garden, and Rakubeer are all good, with Rakubeer serving only Japanese craft beer on tap. They've usually got around 15 varieties I think. No bottles. Phi's and GG will have a couple things on tap, but they are mostly bottles. Imports and domestic.

If you want to try a great local ramen place, I'd recommend Gaba. There are several throughout the city. It's tonkotsu style and very similar to Ippudou. We also have Ippudou and Ichiran, but Gaba is actually from Hiroshima. If you go to the Fukuromachi branch, they actually have a full izakaya style menu in addition to the normal stuff like gyoza and fried rice.
pvbAXRW.jpg

Itsukashima/Miyjaima is incredible. My wife and I stayed there during out honeymoon in 2006. I can't remember the name of where we stayed at the moment, but I'll look it up and post the link. Expensive but so worth it. After the last ferry leaves for the night, you pretty much have the island to yourself.

Top Bottom