• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I have two questions for you guys:
  • Is there a chance that Kizumonogatari part 2 would still be on theaters by the time I arrive to Tokyo on Sept 12th?
  • Are there any sites where I could look at a list of theaters that have the movie so that I can choose whichever's closest to where we'll be at and/or get the tickets in advance?
Any help would be appreciated, since I'd really like to go and watch it there if I have the chance.

Check the official website:
http://www.kizumonogatari-movie.com

Rowena

Neo Member
I know the Yamanote line is covered but going over my Tokyo itinerary I've noticed to get to a few of my other destinations I need to ride these lines shown below. Questions is are the lines I've listed below, are they covered by the JR pass? I assume they are but just clarifying before I put the finishing touches on my itinerary.
Thank you.

Yamanote line
Chuo-Sobu line
Chuo line Rapid (Ghibli Museum)
Keihin Tohoku line
Keiyo line (Tokyo Game Show)

I know the Yamanote line is covered but going over my Tokyo itinerary I've noticed to get to a few of my other destinations I need to ride these lines shown below. Questions is are the lines I've listed below, are they covered by the JR pass? I assume they are but just clarifying before I put the finishing touches on my itinerary.
Thank you.

Yamanote line
Chuo-Sobu line
Chuo line Rapid (Ghibli Museum)
Keihin Tohoku line
Keiyo line (Tokyo Game Show)

Yes. They're all operated by JR East.

Hi folks,
Does this plan sound practical? For October

-2 people, with green class JR pass

-In order to not have to take luggage to kyoto, hiroshima, and himeji castle over a 7 day period, we use Osaka as our "hub" city and get a hotel there for 7 days.

Plan is, from Osaka, travel daily to:
-Kyoto, for 3 days
-hiroshima for 1 day
-Himeji for 1 day
-and of course spend 2 days having fun in osaka itself

Thanks for reading!

Do you know if the bus services are good in Japan? I assume is way slower but is also way cheaper than the jrpass and if you can ride them by night...

Well... If you're able to sleep on buses you could save a lot of money,,, But it's slower for sure :p

Hi folks,
Does this plan sound practical? For October

-2 people, with green class JR pass

Hm... Why the green class pass?

Anyway... If you're going to Hiroshima and Himeji within 5 days, it much much cheaper to get the Kansai-Hiroshima Area pass:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

Well... If you're able to sleep on buses you could save a lot of money,,, But it's slower for sure :p

Hm... Why the green class pass?

Anyway... If you're going to Hiroshima and Himeji within 5 days, it much much cheaper to get the Kansai-Hiroshima Area pass:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

Thanks for the suggestion, but for the first few days of the trip (coming into tokyo...) I will need the JR pass, for ferries too. Long legs = green pass :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but for the first few days of the trip (coming into tokyo...) I will need the JR pass, for ferries too. Long legs = green pass :)

Well, I mean... The shinkansen trains I've taken has much more legroom in normal train cars than premium/comfort economy on flights.

Stalk

Well, I mean... The shinkansen trains I've taken has much more legroom in normal train cars than premium/comfort economy on flights.

I'm 6ft 2 and I don't even reach the other seat, nor even close. Can agree. Even have my bag on the floor in front of me.

In Hiroshima now. Very different to my last two stops in Osaka and Kyoto. Just wish i hadn't planned Hiroshima last now haha. Mistakes, ah well.

I'm 6ft 2 and I don't even reach the other seat, nor even close. Can agree. Even have my bag on the floor in front of me.

In Hiroshima now. Very different to my last two stops in Osaka and Kyoto. Just wish i hadn't planned Hiroshima last now haha. Mistakes, ah well.

Interesting. My last trip (10 yrs ago) I incorrectly boarded an ordinary instead of green and found it a little too small (esp with suitcase) and certainly more crowded. A very friendly staff member later moved me to a green car front row - lots of room. That was a long time ago though, it sounds like today both are good options.

Stalk

Interesting. My last trip (10 yrs ago) I incorrectly boarded an ordinary instead of green and found it a little too small (esp with suitcase) and certainly more crowded. A very friendly staff member later moved me to a green car front row - lots of room. That was a long time ago though, it sounds like today both are good options.

On all the trains I went on, I reserved a seat, there was enough room overhead for most suitcases as well. I can't speak for the renewal rate of trains but I have rode on 2x Hikari line and 1x Sakura trains Kyoto, Shin Osaka and Hiroshima and can't say I have had a noticeable issue. For reference as well, my bag is a 45 litre rucksack.

On all the trains I went on, I reserved a seat, there was enough room overhead for most suitcases as well. I can't speak for the renewal rate of trains but I have rode on 2x Hikari line and 1x Sakura trains Kyoto, Shin Osaka and Hiroshima and can't say I have had a noticeable issue. For reference as well, my bag is a 45 litre rucksack.

Wow! Thats great. Thanks for the detail. :)

All the Shinkansen trains from Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Fukuoka should have about 42 inch seat pitch.

VoxPop

Wooooot going to Japan (Tokyo) from the 23-28 :)

Will I have enough time to check out other cities and go back to my hotel in Tokyo every night?

VoxPop

There's enough to check out in Tokyo for more than those days. And which other cities are you thinking of?

cj_iwakura said:
Unlikely. I'd focus on Tokyo given that limited amount of time, there's more than enough to see.

I haven't really looked into it yet. I'm heading to neighboring countries on the 28th (HK + Seoul) but my friend has some friends out there that want to show us around. I for one am super excited as I've always wanted to go to Japan and I've been to the other countries before.

I just want to be able to see as much as I can especially if there is a huge difference in culture and ambience in the other cities. Or any other standout things in general. Thanks :)

I haven't really looked into it yet. I'm heading to neighboring countries on the 28th (HK + Seoul) but my friend has some friends out there that want to show us around. I for one am super excited as I've always wanted to go to Japan and I've been to the other countries before.

I just want to be able to see as much as I can especially if there is a huge difference in culture and ambience in the other cities. Or any other standout things in general. Thanks :)

Well, you'd most likely not want to be going to Kyoto or whatever since it would be 5 hours total by train just to get there and back. Osaka and Hiroshima is even further away. You could check out Kamakura instead if you want to see lots of shrines and temples though. And Hakone or Nikko if you want to check out an onsen town. But again, there's plenty to see and do in Tokyo as well for several weeks of sightseeing. Could think of each special ward as it's own city almost.

srst

Tokyo is getting so much rain! I'm going there in a week. :\
Is rain crazy in Japan? Do I need a rain jacket or an umbrella will do? I thought it will be hot and dry like the West coast.

Darksol

Tokyo is getting so much rain! I'm going there in a week. :\
Is rain crazy in Japan? Do I need a rain jacket or an umbrella will do? I thought it will be hot and dry like the West coast.

Umbrella is fine. Don't bother bringing one -- they're everywhere, and they cost almost nothing.

Nothing about Japan is dry. Hot and humid is the name of the game.

Fritz

It would be cool and helpful, if we could collect food and drinks recommendations in Tokyo and other highly frequented spots.

I am currently looking for options in

Shimokitazawa - lunch, dinner & drinks
Asakusa - dinner
Kuramae - lunch & dinner (drinks at NUI is my rec)
Yoyogi Park - lunch
Harajuku - lunch

I'd be more than happy if you guys got some tips

It would be cool and helpful, if we could collect food and drinks recommendations in Tokyo and other highly frequented spots.

I am currently looking for options in

Shimokitazawa - lunch, dinner & drinks
Asakusa - dinner
Kuramae - lunch & dinner (drinks at NUI is my rec)
Yoyogi Park - lunch
Harajuku - lunch

I had the best Okonomiyaki in Asakusa at "okonomiyaki sometaro".

http://beauty-of-japan.com/article/sometaro-okonomiyaki-restaurant-named-after-japanese-comedian/

So I am getting towards the end of a project and I am looking to take holiday and visit Japan for ~10-12 days. Flying into Tokyo but I will have flexibility to move around quite a bit, even up to Osaka if I choose to.

Looking for some of the best places to go: I know I will definitely be spending a couple days shopping (Akihabara is calling me!!!) and prolly hit Tokyo Disney at least one day and Studio Ghibli tour as well.

What are the TOP TOP things I need to see?

Also, I am traveling late September to early October...what is the weather like that time of year?

Thanks!

Harajuku - lunch

Get some Harajuku crepes ;P

Also, I am traveling late September to early October...what is the weather like that time of year?

Thanks!

It's still typhoon season so it could get rainy, or even be some flooding. It'll still be hot, but not as humid as in the middle of the summer, so light clothes or even possibly shorts is good.

Oh, and join our meetup:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253412

Won

On the topic of food I might as well ask. A co-worker suggested I should bring back something sweet to eat. Any suggestions that would actual survive the way back to Europe?

JardeL

Anyone been to Nagoya? Worth checking out?

Depends on what you're looking for. Nagoya is a modern city but don't expect to see lots of temples or historical places, or a crazy night life. I spent a month there last year, if you're looking for nightlife try Osaka or Tokyo, if you're looking for hell lot of temples try Kyoto.

On the topic of food I might as well ask. A co-worker suggested I should bring back something sweet to eat. Any suggestions that would actual survive the way back to Europe?

Get an omiyage box with some kind of cookies, candy or chocolate at the airport or something. Oh, and remember that the expiry date in Japan is in yy/mm/dd format.

VoxPop

Just some questions before I hop my flight.

What's the best way to get from Narita Airport to Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku,?

How much would a cab be?

Are they gonna try and hustle me?

Where's the best place to exchange my money?

How much would a cab be?

Take the Narita express or the airport limousine (bus). If you're super ballin, then I guess you can take a cab.

Exchange at the airport.

How much would a cab be?

Take the train. I can't imagine how much a cab would be but Narita's pretty far from Shinjuku.

Don't exchange money. Get your money from an ATM.

Guevara

Hey Japan Travel GAF!

I'm visiting Japan this fall, I'm about to order a rail pass. One question: can I reserve tickets on a Shinkansen ahead of time (from the U.S.)?

Or will I be ok just booking it with the pass in hand, once I arrive in Tokyo?

Hey Japan Travel GAF!

I'm visiting Japan this fall, I'm about to order a rail pass. One question: can I reserve tickets on a Shinkansen ahead of time (from the U.S.)?

Or will I be ok just booking it with the pass in hand, once I arrive in Tokyo?

You can reserve some here:
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx

You can't reserve for the most useful Shinkansen trains which is the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen between Tokyo->Nagoya->Osaka->Kyoto->Hiroshima->Fukuoka though.

But usually it's good enough to book when you're in Tokyo, unless you're there on Japanese vacation days/periods like Golden Week.

If you know Japanese you can reserve tickets on more trains (including the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen) on the Japanese site:
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/personal...eserveTop.aspx?src=ekinettop#DivTabShinkansen

VoxPop

First full day. Having a blast. Absolutely drenched in sweat from walking around all day. So much more to do than the neighboring Asian countries. Gonna see some of the nightlife tonight with friends before going crazy on the weekend. Can't wait!

Copons

But usually it's good enough to book when you're in Tokyo, unless you're there on Japanese vacation days/periods like Golden Week.

Last time I went in Japan (2012, late March, the blossom was just beginning, so the Kansai was already packed enough) I've never had to book tickets in advance, but pretty much always right at the station.

Related: I can't remember for which trains I'm supposed to book a sit.
Shinkansen, sure. But express, ltd express and others? Do I just show the pass at the turnstiles get on the train and sit wherever?

NeoCane

hello dear NEOgaf family :D,

i'm finally a member now and super hyped. i didnt read everything yet but plan to travel to japan for about 3 weeks. i have some japanese contacts here in my country and recommended me to stay longer, what's your experience?

Related: I can't remember for which trains I'm supposed to book a sit.
Shinkansen, sure. But express, ltd express and others? Do I just show the pass at the turnstiles get on the train and sit wherever?

Depends on the train :p

Just as (most) shinkansen trains got both reserved and non-reserved cars, most limited express trains got both reserved and non-reserved cars as well (overnight trains is one exception). Most of the remaining express trains are overnight trains I think that requires reservations. Normal and rapid (including special rapid, commuter rapid, etc) trains usually got no booking.

Copons

Depends on the train :p

Just as (most) shinkansen trains got both reserved and non-reserved cars, most limited express trains got both reserved and non-reserved cars as well (overnight trains is one exception). Most of the remaining express trains are overnight trains I think that requires reservations. Normal and rapid (including special rapid, commuter rapid, etc) trains usually got no booking.

Got it.
(and also, meanwhile I remembered that Hyperdia should say if a train has a reservation option)

Man, I'm getting super hyped!
This'll be my 3rd time, and the 1st for my SO, so I got to do a super beefy schedule with both places I've already been (I mean, she just NEEDS to check out Nara, Fushimi Inari Taisha and Miyajima!) and places new to me (Shirakawa, Takayama and Koya).

I noticed that the Koya World Heritage Ticket, that's supposed to be very convenient, doesn't include a limited express return ticket, which... of course was the one I planned to take (mostly because we're going back to Tokyo next, so we'd love to get the shortest travel time possible), and I'll need to pay an additional fee, that I'm sure will be super easy to get, speaking English at Gokurakubashi station. :D

i have some japanese contacts here in my country and recommended me to stay longer, what's your experience?

Depends on what you're there to do and how many cities you're planning to visit.

I noticed that the Koya World Heritage Ticket, that's supposed to be very convenient, doesn't include a limited express return ticket, which... of course was the one I planned to take (mostly because we're going back to Tokyo next, so we'd love to get the shortest travel time possible), and I'll need to pay an additional fee, that I'm sure will be super easy to get, speaking English at Gokurakubashi station. :D

They're probably used to tourists at that station, so it'll surely work out :p

Guevara

You can reserve some here:
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx

You can't reserve for the most useful Shinkansen trains which is the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen between Tokyo->Nagoya->Osaka->Kyoto->Hiroshima->Fukuoka though.

If you know Japanese you can reserve tickets on more trains (including the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen) on the Japanese site:
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/personal...eserveTop.aspx?src=ekinettop#DivTabShinkansen
Thank you very much!

Copons

Depends on what you're there to do and how many cities you're planning to visit.

They're probably used to tourists at that station, so it'll surely work out :p

I trust my own Italian skill of randomly moving my hands until the other person understand precisely my needs.
At the same time, I don't trust them, for their own Japanese skill of super politeness to the point of telling the wrong answer when they don't know the right one, just to show great courtesy. :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey guys,

This is a super random question:

I own my own business that generates plenty of income, but can be run virtually from anywhere. I have business partners in Japan (several of our board games are Japanese imports).

My question is, if I wanted a Visa that let me rent an apartment and travel back and forth, is there any real feasible way to do so? It seems the Japanese government wants me to have a sponsor? Maybe I could get that from one of my business partners? Or would they have to say they are paying me money?

Help! Booked my ticket to Japan and I wanted to go to Studio Ghibli. Tried booking through one agency and they said it was sold out. Went to another and they wanted $62 when the face value is ¥1000.

Any ideas where I might be able to get a last minute ticket for the 29th of September and not get price gouged?

Thanks.

Rowena

Neo Member
Help! Booked my ticket to Japan and I wanted to go to Studio Ghibli. Tried booking through one agency and they said it was sold out. Went to another and they wanted $62 when the face value is ¥1000.

Any ideas where I might be able to get a last minute ticket for the 29th of September and not get price gouged?

Thanks.

I had asked this question a couple pages back and got a few links to get some tickets. I used these people and got a response and tickets in hand within 4 days. Hope this helps.
Out of all 3 links this was the best in price. With shipping and their fee's both tickets came out to $35.00USD a piece. But it was worth it.

https://bridge.jpn.com/tickets.php

Top Bottom