• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan - Who/what will suffer and succeed in Nov./Dec.

cvxfreak

So yeah, we all know the drill. Sony recently confirmed that the PSP will still be launching in December in Japan, and Nintendo has solidifed the Dec. 2 DS launch with several pieces of software. So now my question is: Which systems or games will suffer because of the PSP and DS, in terms of shop shelf space? Having a small glimpse of Japanese shops last June, they tend to vary in size. Some are pretty big, others aren't so big.

I personally think the first system that will be scaled back in terms of shelf space will be the Swan Crystal, PSone and Xbox. They still have a presence in Japanese shops, but I think the PSone section will be reduced in favor of the PSP games, and that the Swan Crystal section will be reduced for DS titles. I don't see a scale back of GC or GBA games; a select few GC titles always perform very well during the last two months of the year, and the DS's GBA compatibility should ensure a rise if software sales for that system. I'm sure the Xbox might lose SOME shelf space, if it hasn't already.

As for sales of some games, I think mostly some PS2 games will suffer, but it has more to do with Dragon Quest VIII and the greater variety of PS2 games. I personally can't see Tales of Rebirth doing as good, but that's because of DQVIII. I see the GC edition of Viewtiful Joe 2 outpacing the PS2 edition, although both won't sell much. Nintendo's delivering a good GBA lineup to close the year out, so I anticipate Zelda: MC, Kingdom Hearts COM, Pokemon FR/LG/Emerald, Fire Emblem, Mawaru Made in Wario and RockMan EXE 5 to be the top sellers. On the GC front, I see Mario Party 6, Naruto 3, DK: Jungle Beat and Mario Tennis to close the GC out with stellar sales; biohazard 4 might come out Dec. 30, but I see the bigger impact for January.

So, what do you all think?

It won't hurt the PS2 at all. The GBA will be hurt, but it will still do very well. I expect the PSP to be hurt after a few weeks. Of course, that's because I have no idea what the launch software or pricing will be.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I predict that Nintendo will dominate this holiday season. :O

Solid

I think Sony and their PS2 will own all this fall in Japan.

PStwo + MGS3, GT4, Tales of Rebirth, Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special = eek!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I imagine Sony and Nintendo will do well, though perhaps not as well as in prior years.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
DQ8 will do well, and that's about it.

(I really enjoy MGS3, but I think it's cruisin' for a holiday bruisin' worldwide.)

Troidal

The new PS2 on a national holiday.

Dragon Quest VIII on a weekend.

You know people will line up for this.

The wildcard I think is the DS.
Aside from early adopters, will kids want this for Christmas?
(Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl in 2005 will guarantee sales though.)

Top Bottom