• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Culex said:
Fucking DS is selling too much now. How the hell am I supposed to update my chart now if it's at 300k :lol
heh.. it took me a second to get this, but now I do.

sux to be the guy with the graph. you could just use regular line heights for all the other systems and then a little picture of Mario from Game & Watch high above everything else.

Calidor

shigerumiyamoto-satoruiwata-01.jpg

"We Killed the PSP" :lol

Mrbob

Yes! Rogue Galaxy with the comeback win! Take THAT, Mario Kart DS! :D

And WTF is Monster Hunter Portable selling 63K in its second week? PSP killa app? I didn't know the series was so popular in Japan.

heidern

300K would be absolutely insane. Also, normally next week is 10-20% bigger than this, and the week after is 50-80% bigger than that for hardware be it handheld or console. With Brain Training and Mario&Luigi 2 out in 2 weeks, and the games out consistently showing strong legs(Pokemon Dungeon, Tamagitchi etc) well 600K would be a fairly low estimate for the 2 weeks after this, with DS possibly hitting 800K. If you think 300K is bad for your chart, what the fuck would 400,000 or 500,000 do to it?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Calidor said:
shigerumiyamoto-satoruiwata-01.jpg

"We Killed the PSP" :lol
I think the photoshopped one with "poor psp" in the background is funnier.

heidern said:
300K would be absolutely insane. Also, normally next week is 10-20% bigger than this, and the week after is 50-80% bigger than that for hardware be it handheld or console. With Brain Training and Mario&Luigi 2 out in 2 weeks, and the games out consistently showing strong legs(Pokemon Dungeon, Tamagitchi etc) well 600K would be a fairly low estimate for the 2 weeks after this, with DS possibly hitting 800K. If you think 300K is bad for your chart, what the fuck would 400,000 or 500,000 do to it?
With 300K this week that would put the DS's LTD at 4.25 million. Think it could top 5 million by the end of the year (three more weeks)? :)

mutsu

300,000? My goodness... lots of them must have been sold with Mario Kart DS.

I don't think next week's DS numbers will be as high though, simply because this week's Mario Kart DS release was a big boost for them, so next week COULD drop off a little. But yes of course, it still has potential since it's
Easter
Christmas.

heidern

Fuzzy said:
With 300K this week that would put the DS's LTD at 4.25 million. Think it could top 5 million by the end of the year (three more weeks)? :)

Well, if 300K for this week is true, then something like:
300K-> 450K -> 250K for a grand total of 1 million over the next 3 would not be... totally unrealistic. That would take it to 5.25M. Hmmm, would that mean DS in Japan outsells psp worldwide in December? Probably not, but it'd be fairly close I imagine.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So PS2 RE4 better the Cubes?

Brain Training 2 is out December 29th IIRC

Go Go DS!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
heidern said:
Well, if 300K for this week is true, then something like:
300K-> 450K -> 250K for a grand total of 1 million over the next 3 would not be... totally unrealistic. That would take it to 5.25M. Hmmm, would that mean DS in Japan outsells psp worldwide in December? Probably not, but it'd be fairly close I imagine.
EDIT: Oops I made a mistake (wasn't paying attention).

Culex

Banned
heidern said:

I'll worry about that when the time comes! For now, I've made it so 300k is more than doable.

Excel 2003 is god-aweful for making charts. There's a ton of options, but not nearly enough for resizing or enlarging graphs without zooming. If anyone knows of any good charting programs (free or $), let me know.

Animal Crossing has some amazing legs. It could pass 1 million easily.

Mario Kart...hmmm. Not the most impressive launch numbers, but I'm sure it'll have legs, and I bet word of mouth about the online goodness will spread fast.

Can the DS do 300,000 in a week? I say...no. 150,000 at the highest.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PhoenixDark said:
Animal Crossing has some amazing legs. It could pass 1 million easily.

Mario Kart...hmmm. Not the most impressive launch numbers, but I'm sure it'll have legs, and I bet word of mouth about the online goodness will spread fast.

given that the shinobi blog has proven itself to be reliable I expect 270k ds for this week.

Culex

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

You're on crack. Last week, the DS sold 176,958 units. Historically, for both consoles and handhelds, the following two weeks are HIGHER. Always.

woo!

fatiwataftw4oi.jpg

...but 300,000? That seems REALLY unlikely for a weeks worth of sales. That's freakin' ungodly for the DS.

But I'm guessing it's safe to assume Nintendo Revolution has Japan in the bag next gen
or at least, a bigger piece of the console pie
?

Izzy

Banned
Culex said:
Nope. DS LTD is 3.951 mil in Japan

PSP LTD NPD ~2.4 mil + Japan 2.228 mil = 4.628 mil

Actually, PSP number is a little bit higher.

According to Nintendo's own numbers PSP was at 2.16M sold in US as of October.

Nintendo said:
DS vs. PSP sales
LTD Sell-through
(Through October, in Millions)

DS
Japan: 3.63
U.S.: 2.37
Total: 6.00

PSP
Japan: 2.10
U.S.: 2.16
Total: 4.26

So, with November NPD numbers, PSP is currently at >2.5M sold in the US.

Izzy

Banned
Culex said:
You're on crack. Last week, the DS sold 176,958 units. Historically, for both consoles and handhelds, the following two weeks are HIGHER. Always.

I dunno - last week PSP sold 92k units - I expect reasonably lower figures this week.

Izzy

Banned
Culex said:
Honestly, I think the PSP might even graze 100k for this week's numbers.

Hmmm...dunno - both Geki Sangoku Musou and MGA2 flopped, and Monster Hunter is the only consistent seller. I say 50k for the week.

Wow the next 3 weeks will see some huge DS numbers. I'm betting the 396k from last December will be beaten and maybe even well beaten. Animal Crossing, Brain Training and possibly Nintendogs should all pass the 1m mark by the turn of the year.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Izzy said:
Hmmm...dunno - both Geki Sangoku Musou and MGA2 flopped, and Monster Hunter is the only consistent seller. I say 50k for the week.

From 90k down to 50k while heading into the biggest 2 weeks of the year for a platform with good selling hardware regardless of software sales? I think you're undershooting the PSP number so that you'll be "surprised" at how well it does when the real numbers come out :lol

polg

What is unsual to GAF, compared to other forums, is the level of emotion in discussions of business topics. While there are other gaming forums (such as the IGN, GameSpot, or 1UP forums) where the relative merits of games are hotly debated, and a number of other forums (such as QuarterToFour) where business topics are discussed, GAF has emotional discussion of, for example, the latest sales numbers out of Japan.

I wanted to share this, which I found a couple of days ago...

(could be old... but it is still funny)

heavenly

BorkBork said:
From 90k down to 50k while heading into the biggest 2 weeks of the year for a platform with good selling hardware regardless of software sales? I think you're undershooting the PSP number so that you'll be "surprised" at how well it does when the real numbers come out :lol

I concur.

mutsu

PhoenixDark said:

You forgot that it sold 170K last week WITHOUT Mario Kart DS launch? It will most definitely be more than 170K this week.

Juice

Gahiggidy said:
Wait a sec. Where are the 360 games. It launched on the 10th.
confused.gif

Fake?

Good Lord, it's like the 8 people to reply to this one didn't see that the user was Gahiggidy first. Of course the 360 didn't crack the top ten in software, as the 10th best selling game outsold the 360 itself.

Something tells me that Gahiggidy just stealthily ninjaed you all doing his work for him.

p.s. 300,000 DS systems in one week is fuckdickulous. You have to imagine the Revolution will be just fine in Japan, if nothing else. Still, people predicting the number to go even higher next week have to remember that this is the week MKDS came out.

p.p.s. My friends picked up Monster Hunter and it looks fun as hell--I might buy it. That anecdotal evidence leads me to believe it will have legs.

Emotions

Mrbob said:
Yes! Rogue Galaxy with the comeback win! Take THAT, Mario Kart DS!

Oh yes Mario Kart flopped horribly take that Mario Kart , you will never sell good , R.I.P DS and Nintendo. /end sarcasm

On a little bit serious note why are you always so happy when a Sony-Microsoft game beats a Nintendo game in sales, do you want the DS to miserably fail and the PSP to stomp it forever?
i suppose that's what you want judging by your post history.

On Topic wow if the DS sold that much this week that's so impressive , hope the DS keeps getting better and better games.

jman2050

Emotions said:
Oh yes Mario Kart flopped horribly take that Mario Kart , you will never sell good , R.I.P DS and Nintendo. /end sarcasm

On a little bit serious note why are you always so happy when a Sony-Microsoft game beats a Nintendo game in sales, do you want the DS to miserably fail and the PSP to stomp it forever?
i suppose that's what you want judging by your post history.

On Topic wow if the DS sold that much this week that's so impressive , hope the DS keeps getting better and better games.

Don't worry, he (hopefully) won't be here much longer. Thank God for that.

And the DS - o_O

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kevtones said:
When does Elf Bowling 1&2 launch for DS in Japan?

It has to sell at least one to be listed

cvxfreak

Dengeki:

DS: 300,000

Rogue Galaxy: 225,000
Mario Kart DS: 220,000
Animal Crossing DS: 165,000 / 686,000 (may reach a million before the end of the year)

(Mario Kart Double Dash: 176,000 / 797,000)
(Mario Kart Advance: 184,000 / 728,000)

Apparently MKDD > MKSC in Japan

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mrbob said:
Yes! Rogue Galaxy with the comeback win! Take THAT, Mario Kart DS! :D

And WTF is Monster Hunter Portable selling 63K in its second week? PSP killa app? I didn't know the series was so popular in Japan.

listen okay, you are on super duper duper duper thin ice. im warning you only because outside of the gaming forum you are not a total moron. So get with the program.

Rock_Man

From dengeki:
360 hardware - 54k
360 software - 52k
Ridge Racer 6 - 24k

DS hardware - 300k
Mario Kart - 222k

#13 Mushi King
#19 Bleach GC
#21 Ridge Racer 6
#24 Geki Sengoku Musou
#27 Perfect Dark Zero