• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Urban Music Rap, HipHop, Reggae, RnB, Soul

Laws00

I feel as though this stuff doesn't get enough exposer or talked about compared to Jpop and rock and Korean music nowadays.

I've been a fan listening to this stuff since early 2000 when I read about Ken Hirai album the changing same and downloaded stuff on Napster. 3 years later I chanced found a Japanese Forum website that catered to pop and rock music and urban.

I didn't think (at the time) that Japan had any urban sounding music that wasn't pop influenced or driven which was one of the main reasons I dismissed it.

When I was on winter break I heard Crystal Kay- 4 Real and that album made me fall in love with the genre. Winter Break I discovered Misia- Mars and Roses

I didn't actually start listening to Rap/HIhop music until about early 2005 when I heard the DJ Master Key Album Daddy's House vol. 3 and saw the music video Be my lady that made me appreciate the genre.

I stopped actively listening to the about 2009 when I fell off really listening to the stuff. I was just looking through my old portable hardrive and all the music videos, pictures, and albums I had accumulated. I have soo much stuff.

Does anybody still listen to, follow any artist on twitter instagram or some social media?
Most of how I find out stuff is from Itunes and or http://amebreak.ameba.jp/. Thre used to be a few websites that had info on artist but they have long since been gone.

Lets see off the top of my head that I listened to:

Aria/Asuka, Dabo,Zeebra,ANTY The Kunoichi, Original AI, Nitro MicroPhone Underground, S-Word, H-ID, Rappagariya, Twigy, Fireball, Doberman INC, Full Of Harmony, SoulHead Jamosa, KoheiJapan, Hime, Gaggle, Coma Chi, Scars, Pushim, NORIKYO, Seeda, Double

I just want to talk and reminisce about the music, post pictures and not

shahkur

I've been listening to J-Urban music for like 10 years now. Started when I first watched Bleach and heard the ending theme "Arigatou" by Home Made Kazoku.

And well, J-Urban is all I've been a huge fan of since then.

On the J-Hiphop front you've got M-flo as one of the more well known artists though they've fell off over these past few years as they've been doing house etc. You should check out Doberman Inc for someone more recent.

As for RnB, as you said Full Of Harmony. The best artist for JRnB IMO is Exile with other artists such as J Soul Brothers and Deep/Color close behind.

Laws00

I'm a hip-hop guy and I'm interested to hear what Japanese hip-hop is like. I remember copping a few DJ Honda albums when he did a few collabs with US rappers. I haven't heard if he's still around.

Also, DJ Dyber done a lovely tune with the GOAT, Max B called I'm So Wavy (2009).

Remix with French Montana

And here is a Vice 16 min documentary about hip-hop in Japanese projects. From Feb 2014.

KOHH has been getting around. He's been on a few peoples tracks of late looking at things.

I don't like recommending music but to point you in some direction of DJs to explore.

MURO aka KING OF DIGGIN a lot of his music is funk originated 70s sounds. Ive listened to sweet bad ass encounter so many damn times, as well as 20 Street Years
He's done a collab or to with Kon and Amir 2 well known diggers

MITSU THE BEATS

DJ HASEBE aka OLD NICK

Dev Large

DJ Masterkey

DJ PMX for the west Coast Sounds of Yokohama

I-DeA

JHETT a.k.a YAKKO

Mr. BEATS a.k.a. DJ CELORY

My absolute favorite beat maker Bach Logic. I have a personal bias for him lol He has done most notably Jay-z the red album beats and he has a bunch of Music Repair Shop Volumes where he has reworked/did beats for popular artist at the time like 50 cent, Alicia Keys, Usher, Aaliyah, Kanye West to name a few

Laws00

I've been listening to J-Urban music for like 10 years now. Started when I first watched Bleach and heard the ending theme "Arigatou" by Home Made Kazoku.

And well, J-Urban is all I've been a huge fan of since then.

On the J-Hiphop front you've got M-flo as one of the more well known artists though they've fell off over these past few years as they've been doing house etc. You should check out Doberman Inc for someone more recent.

As for RnB, as you said Full Of Harmony. The best artist for JRnB IMO is Exile with other artists such as J Soul Brothers and Deep/Color close behind.

Everyone knows M-FLO. I love them they are practically the one ones who I have bought their CDs besides Ken Hirai too

Exile I used to like them. On a board I used to go to they said that they were more along the lines of NSYNC or Back Street Boys but they had a damn good sound to them. I have a lot of J Soul Brothers and Deep/Color albums. Wasn't a fan of Color at first till my friend kept ranting and raving how him and his girlfriend loved them

I don't like the direction that Doberman INC took. They seem to have gone into a popish direction not to mention changed their to Doberman Infinity and might have changed or dropped memebers. I don't like how they personally sounded after they stopped having Bach Logic beats

Ninja Dom

It never really occurred to me that different parts of Japan would have different varying styles of hip-hop. It's like most other countries in the world but I didn't think it would apply to Japan.

Yes, with the hip-hop for me it's gonna be more about the beats than the rapping - simply because I don't understand Japanese. I heard KOHH drops a little bit of English in his rhymes. Thanks for the list of DJ's though. It's a shame that these DJ's are pursuing what DJ Honda did in the 90's and 2000's by hooking up with US rappers for collab's but I can guess that the US rappers already have more than enough US DJ's to work with.

Laws00

I'm going to post some of these old album covers. The reggae ones are strange

6142_GSi3m_YL_SS500.jpg

tkca73194_zoom.jpg

bypharthedopestlb9.jpg

babybreathwarmupcovermiio9.jpg

harlemver10jw3.jpg

harlemver17nl3.jpg

harlemver30gd1.jpg

Laws00

It never really occurred to me that different parts of Japan would have different varying styles of hip-hop. It's like most other countries in the world but I didn't think it would apply to Japan.

Yes, with the hip-hop for me it's gonna be more about the beats than the rapping - simply because I don't understand Japanese. I heard KOHH drops a little bit of English in his rhymes. Thanks for the list of DJ's though. It's a shame that these DJ's are pursuing what DJ Honda did in the 90's and 2000's by hooking up with US rappers for collab's but I can guess that the US rappers already have more than enough US DJ's to work with.

To be honest with you I didn't know personally until I started looking deep the following some of this music. From where I read dancehall and reggae in Japan have the 2nd biggest following in the world, first only to Jamaica.

Tokyo is like New York so you're going to hear alot of rappers rap about it. Tokyo Tokyo big city of dreams.

I have list of beat makers list to that come to mind but, I think i'm just going to let this thread rock a little and have people post a bit and I can reply. I don't want to hog it all. I'll post some youtube videos and songs later.

If you need/want help or interested in an artist I can help research or find bodies of work for you to listen to or have suggestions to listen to.

Top Bottom