• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z talks Tidal's pay-structure, lack of free tier, and how indie artists benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay Z interview with Fader Mag

How will TIDAL change the industry with regards to artists' bottom line? Spotify has received much criticism for the portion of revenue that the artists receive through their music being streamed there. Is TIDAL a direct response to this criticism?

Jay Z: Not a direct response. You don't want to single anyone out, per se — but currently we pay the highest royalty percentage. And there is no free tier service. If you have five people paying for music, and ten people consuming it, then the artist starts at -5. We start at 1. There is no free tier and we'll pay the highest royalty percentage. That's how we'll change the industry, as well as through a number of other things which I'm sure you guys are gonna ask about, so, I don't want to go too into it on the first question.

Will TIDAL offer a student discount for subscriptions like Spotify does in the near future?

J: Oh. Okay, well I'm going to let Vania answer that one.
Vania Schlogel: Yes. When we look at the data, the data says that students don't really care about paying for streaming. I actually don't believe that, necessarily — I think that this demographic here, sitting in the room, cares very deeply about music. I think in fact that a lot of you have a deeper emotional connection with music than any data says. And so the short answer for that is, absolutely yes, because we want you all to be Team TIDAL and to be a part of this.

How difficult is it for an indie artist to put their music onto TIDAL? Services like Spotify can be very difficult, if not on a label or going through a digital distributor. Does the same apply for TIDAL?

V: There is that difficulty, I know, with other services. I'm not a musician, but some of my friends are and they tell me "I had to go through an aggregator, I had to wait six months for this and that and nobody paid attention to me." And these are all things that we hear and that are very personal to us, and that we are addressing. The truth of the matter is, we took control of this company a few weeks ago. We're still a very young, nascent company and we have a lot of initiatives that we're working on, especially when it comes to indie talent, emerging talent, giving people visibility, giving people a forum to put their music up and giving them control of their distribution and their creative content, how they want to communicate with their fans. Those are all initiatives, and that one specifically is something that we're working on addressing.
J: As well as having a discovery program, where established artists can take things that they like and just showcase them. It's all about paying it forward and working very cyclically and discovering new music. Imagine if Win from Arcade Fire puts up an artist that he discovered in Haiti — and he had this idea, actually, I don't want to step on his idea — and through the curation process gets something really good and introduces it to the world. And then the world is inspired by that sound. It gets a little ethereal from there, but just the possibilities of what TIDAL can do are really exciting, on a creative front.

How is TIDAL's payout structure for artists different from competitors such as Spotify?

J: I know everyone thinks "new company, main business competitor is Spotify" but we're really not here to compete with anyone, we're actually here to improve the landscape. If just the presence of TIDAL causes other companies to have better pay structure, or to pay more attention to it moving forward, then we've been successful in one way.
So we don't really view them as competitors. As the tide rises, all the boats rise.
V: The royalty rates will be higher than other services. In addition to that, there won't be that free tier that's been depressing the recorded music industry, and frankly been a part of what's been driving the downfall of the recorded music industry, is that free consumption. Music is not free, fundamentally. Someone came in and produced that beat, someone came in and sang that song, someone wrote that song. Someone came in to clean the studio afterwards. There is an entire ecosystem around this, and we've somehow come to believe that it's okay to pay hundreds for consumer electronics but to pay nothing for the music that helps sell it. It's around the education process, with that there will higher royalties. And then another point that I want to touch on that's really important philosophically, not just from a dollars and cents perspective, is the equity ownership. All artists who come in — and this is an open platform, an open invitation — will participate in the equity upside. And that is important, too, because of that participation in the process, by having a board seat, by actually being an owner in this. It's a different type of involvement.

Will "exclusive content" be available for purchase anywhere?

J: I don't know. It's available for streaming immediately. I don't know where streaming will go in the future. The analytics that we're seeing tell us that streaming is the next thing, and downloads are going down. I feel like with the history of this platform, from vinyl to where we are now, it just seems like the next logical step. Before you had a CD, you put it in, you had the download, they eliminated the CD so just downloads. Now you're going to eliminate the download and you just play it. So it just seems like the next logical step in what's going to happen.

TIDAL is a streaming service created by artists. Is it necessarily for artists? Does this streaming service exclude the major labels in any way?
J: Well, we can't exclude the major labels because they have contracts with the artists. But if you don't have a contract as an independent artist, they you can do whatever you want and we would love to work with you.

Does that mean that artists that are currently on TIDAL, when their contracts expire, could have the option of going in lieu of a record company, and work with something like TIDAL?

J: I'm on Tidal. I don't have a record deal. So… yes.

How does TIDAL tend to shift its current perception as a pretentious, self-serving platform for the musical elite, to one referencing the brand essence of being all and for all artists?

J: I guess by having a conversation, and telling people what it is. That opinion came before we even explained what it was — "This thing is horrible! … What is it?" You know? You never hear Tim Cook's net worth whenever he tries to sell you something. Steve Jobs, God bless, he had to have been pretty rich — nobody's ever said, "Oh, the rich getting richer! I won't buy an iPhone!" Yeah, right. It's not about being pretentious; again, this is a thing for all artists. You pay $9.99 for Spotify, so why not $9.99 for TIDAL. We're not asking for anything else, we're just saying that we'll spread that money to artists more fairly. We're not saying anything other than that, and we're saying that we're in a position to bring light to this issue. We're using our power that way. And of course there are greater causes, of course. This is not mutually exclusive — there are other problems, real problems going on in the world. We don't miss the problems; we try to take care of them all. Imagine the President: he has to take care of ISIS, gay rights, equal pay for women, discrimination — all at the same time! So, you can't say "You started this site when you should be out in St. Louis!" It's like, okay, J. Cole is out in St. Louis. I wasn't in St. Louis, but I was in the governor's office. Because, we can march all day long but if the laws don't change, then we'll be marching again and it'll just be a different slogan on the shirt, and that's a greater tragedy as well. Everyone has to play their part, everyone has to do different things, and it all has to happen at the same time.

Do you think you can reverse the trend of peoples' valuation of music?

J: Absolutely. If a person can pay $6 for a bottle of water, something that used to be free, if someone can do that? I can definitely show you why you should pay for Lauryn Hill's album. There are 14 reasons, it's incredible. Someone's changed our mindset to believe that that bottle of water is worth $6.

http://www.thefader.com/2015/04/01/...t-the-clive-davis-institute-of-recorded-music

Other than the somewhat odd tap water comparison, I don't think what he's saying sounds all that terrible. Definitely a lot of pretentiousness to serve an entire nation though.

JohnsonUT

You never hear Tim Cook's net worth whenever he tries to sell you something. Steve Jobs, God bless, he had to have been pretty rich — nobody's ever said, "Oh, the rich getting richer! I won't buy an iPhone!".

That is because they weren't complaining about being ripped off and how unfair their business was. The artists introduced money into the equation by whining about money.

royalan

That is because they weren't complaining about being ripped off and how unfair their business was. The artists introduced money into the equation by whining about money.

Bingo.

Jay is doing a whole lot of talking here, but he ain't saying much.

Kibbles

J: Absolutely. If a person can pay $6 for a bottle of water, something that used to be free, if someone can do that? I can definitely show you why you should pay for Lauryn Hill's album. There are 14 reasons, it's incredible. Someone's changed our mindset to believe that that bottle of water is worth $6.
lol speak for yourself. I don't know any sane person who would spend $6 on a bottle of water.

lol speak for yourself. I don't know any sane person who would spend $6 on a bottle of water.

image.php

Toparaman

Banned
I do hope this makes artists get paid better. I agree that there is this weird paradox where young people say "music is my life OMG!!!", but they don't want to pay for it.

It is kinda funny to see Jay-Z's lyrical obsessions backfiring on him. When you're bragging about your bank account all the time, of course people are going to be cynical about your true intentions.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
A bottle of water costs $6?

Jay believes that because that is how much water goes for at his concerts. Arguably the music junkie who pays exorbitant prices to see artist live (and pay $6 for water while doing it) is the demographic Jay is probably aiming for. What might be the disconnect between the demographic Jay is aiming for by offering this (and the Lossless option) and them paying is in the world of Downloads there is nothing special or unique about Tidal.

I think they should send stuff (such as exclusive downloads, songs,and maybe band related accessories) to subscribers once a month to justify it to music price. If the artist are involved then they should offer the chance to win front row (or really close) tickets to their shows. They need to up the ante on the returns to justify in a spotify/itunes/download world paying 10 - 20 to a large group of people and giving them more for their dollar is the best chance they have to do that.

royalan

I'm getting sick of this idea that people who stream music aren't paying for it.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, and I'm becoming more perceptive of how I spend my time, and the many ways in which my time is wasted. As such, I notice when I'm forced to sit through ads. I notice when my gratification is delayed by even a single fucking second by a company's need to make money for their services. And I usually allow this. But I don't view the time I waste having ads forced on me as free, cheap, or invaluable. Every second I spend getting hit over the head by ads has a value to me; my time has a value to me. I am paying you something.

And it is the ultimate sign of unacknowledged privilege, and the ultimate disrespect to the consumer ("the fans"), to think you have the right to force ads on us, make money from those ads (because Spotify runs the ads to make money and, among other things, pay you), and yet still treat those very consumers as thieves, as people taking something from you for free.

Jay, Taylor, and all these artists who seem more interested in devaluing their fans to make their pockets bigger can go fuck themselves. Like hell are we getting anything for free here.

Spoken as someone who a last year switched to a premier Spotify subscriber, but that's because having the ability to stream a catalog of billions on your mobile device on-demand is actually a worthy value on top of the free tier.

CoolOff

I do hope this makes artists get paid better. I agree that there is this weird paradox where young people say "music is my life OMG!!!", but they don't want to pay for it.

I shell out 12*11 dollars for Spotify + maybe a consert bi-monthly (6*30), and a major festival ticket a year (200).

If the music industry can't make that work for the artists I'm listening to I really don't see why I should feel bad for it. It's the labels that are the problem, always will be.

Slayven

I'm getting sick of this idea that people who stream music aren't paying for it.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, and I'm becoming more perceptive of how I spend my time, and the many ways in which my time is wasted. As such, I notice when I'm forced to sit through ads. I notice when my gratification is delayed by even a single fucking second by a company's need to make money for their services. And I usually allow this. But I don't view the time I waste having ads forced on me as free, cheap, or invaluable. Every second I spend getting hit over the head by ads has a value to me; my time has a value to me. I am paying you something.

And it is the ultimate sign of unacknowledged privilege, and the ultimate disrespect to the consumer ("the fans"), to think you have the right to force ads on us, make money from those ads (because Spotify runs the ads to make money and, among other things, pay you), and yet still treat those very consumers as thieves, as people taking something from you for free.

Jay, Taylor, and all these artists who seem more interested in devaluing their fans to make their pockets bigger can go fuck themselves. Like hell are we getting anything for free here.

Spoken as someone who a last year switched to a premier Spotify subscriber, but that's because having the ability to stream a catalog of billions on your mobile device on-demand is actually a worthy value on top of the free tier.
I think they mad because you can't have one or 2 good singles and trick people into buying a album that is hot garbage except those 1 or 2 good singles. I still want my money back from Ace of Base, Color Me Bad, and Another Bad Creation

jetsetrez

I thought they pay the exact same royalty rate as Spotify unless the user is paying for the $20 tier? This seems so hypocritical, and fueled by unbridled ego.

Someone's changed our mindset to believe that that bottle of water is worth $6
Sheesh.

jtb

Banned
That bottled water argument is even dumber the second time around and only reinforces that Jay-Z completely botched the marketing plan for this and is hopelessly out of touch.

oh and this will fail.

aly

I would have to be extremely thirsty to be paying $6 for a bottle of water. Sorry, but people are going to have a real hard time accepting money sob stories from the super rich.

I think they mad because you can't have one or 2 good singles and trick people into buying a album that is hot garbage except those 1 or 2 good singles. I still want my money back from Ace of Base, Color Me Bad, and Another Bad Creation

No kidding. No longer will I pay $20 for 1 song on a terrible album.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They could really clear up all this cynicism about Tidal if they actually provided figures of their royalty rates vs. Spotify etc. What point of difference are they offering? They talk on and on about it but still haven't fronted up with actual numbers. Stop appealing to people's morals if you can't tell them how you're acting in their best interest. Also, Spotify free is supported by ads, isn't it? So it's not 'free'.

I must live and work in the parts of Manhattan where Voss hasn't achieved a monopoly yet.
I'm in Australia and Voss isn't even $3 for an 800mL bottle. I only bought it for the reusable bottle, though :p

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You can smell the damage control.

And the attack on Spotify's free tier is highly disingenuous. The recording industry is not being "killed".

Spotify been the main driving force behind streaming uptake and if streaming is bringing in more money than downloads now, and downloads haven't collapsed merely dipped, then that is mainly EXTRA money that it coming in. From the ad supported free streaming to people subscribing, and it will continue to grow.

Spotify's model is working, and with Spotify handing over 70% of the money they make if artists are missing out the problem isn't Spotify.

Servbot24

Banned

...Not sure if you're trying to say what it sounds like you're saying.

Artists and craftsman do deserve to be paid for the products they create, to be clear, and the heartiest of fucks to anyone who suggests otherwise.

knicks

He literally went from rags to riches, and without the help of education, I don't hold him to high standards in explaining a business model.

He is so fortunate and is in such a good position as far as money/power. I don't see why he would do any of this. Does he actually not realize that he has no idea what he's doing?

Slayven

Vania Schlogel: Yes. When we look at the data, the data says that students don't really care about paying for streaming. I actually don't believe that, necessarily — I think that this demographic here, sitting in the room, cares very deeply about music. I think in fact that a lot of you have a deeper emotional connection with music than any data says. And so the short answer for that is, absolutely yes, because we want you all to be Team TIDAL and to be a part of this.
I feel like she isn't respecting history

Cyan

Banned
Absolutely. If a person can pay $6 for a bottle of water, something that used to be free, if someone can do that? I can definitely show you why you should pay for Lauryn Hill's album. There are 14 reasons, it's incredible. Someone's changed our mindset to believe that that bottle of water is worth $6.
:/ This is not a positive example! There's gotta be a PopGAF gif for this...

Also, I don't think Jay saw our most recent Tim Cook thread!

entremet

That was the 90s at the height of the CD era. Artists can't get away with that as much anymore. Productions are more refined due to the effect of piracy and streaming.

The music industry was suckering us all back then. 12 bucks per cd for two decent singles lol.

Oersted

I thought they pay the exact same royalty rate as Spotify unless the user is paying for the $20 tier? This seems so hypocritical, and fueled by unbridled ego.

Sheesh.

According to tidal, around 75% of the monthly subscription goes back to the studios and then to the artists. Spotify gives 70, so yeah, if you are not part of the 16, it looks like you will barely profit from it more.

ITunes and Bandcamp(especially Bandcamp) will remain the best, and I guess with Dre now on Apple, the lead will increase.

Floridian

Absolutely. If a person can pay $6 for a bottle of water, something that used to be free, if someone can do that? I can definitely show you why you should pay for Lauryn Hill's album. There are 14 reasons, it's incredible. Someone's changed our mindset to believe that that bottle of water is worth $6

kzBVegu.gif

besada

Banned
As a user that pays for Spotify, I'm mostly concerned that artists are going to yank their music and put it on Tidal, splitting the available catalogs of music. That's not good for any fan of music. Splitting the content onto three or four services, so full access requires me to subscribe multiple times just damages the entire streaming model.

Floridian

As a user that pays for Spotify, I'm mostly concerned that artists are going to yank their music and put it on Tidal, splitting the available catalogs of music. That's not good for any fan of music. Splitting the content onto three or four services, so full access requires me to subscribe multiple times just damages the entire streaming model.

Absolutely. If the artists want to have joint streaming services then i'm fine with that, but if they take their music with them that's already been supported by Spotify since the beginning, then that creates a forced division, which in turn will create much more backlash for the artists & their labels.

They could really clear up all this cynicism about Tidal if they actually provided figures of their royalty rates vs. Spotify etc. What point of difference are they offering? They talk on and on about it but still haven't fronted up with actual numbers. Stop appealing to people's morals if you can't tell them how you're acting in their best interest. Also, Spotify free is supported by ads, isn't it? So it's not 'free'.

Yeah it's kinda ridiculous they haven't even shown some data. Just "oh we definitely pay more!" okay but is it significant?

besada said:

IMO. Won't happen. Labels exist to and want to make money anywhere they can. There will be changes, but a mass exodus, I highly doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom