• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JD POWER RANKINGS... BUICK > EVERYTHING BUT LEXUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update 1: J.D. Power: Lexus Again Leads All Brands
06.29.2004, 02:38 PM

Toyota Motor Corp. remains the automaker with the most dependable vehicles, led by its Lexus luxury brand, though Detroit's Big Three manufacturers all showed improvement in the past year, according to the latest J.D. Power and Associates vehicle dependability study released Tuesday.

For the 10th consecutive year, Lexus was the highest-ranking brand in the closely watched study. It was followed by General Motors Corp.'s Buick nameplate, Nissan Motor Co.'s Infiniti brand, Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln label and GM's revamped Cadillac lineup.

GM was the only one of the domestic automakers to score better than the industry average of 269 problems per 100 vehicles, but Ford and DaimlerChrysler AG made significant headway. Last year's industry average was 273 problems per 100 vehicles.

"The domestics are putting their money where their mouths are in terms of consistent long-term quality improvements," said Joe Ivers, J.D. Power's executive director of quality/customer satisfaction. "However, while the domestics continue to outpace the Europeans, the Japanese continue to dominate."

The study is based on responses from more than 48,000 original owners of 2001 model-year cars and trucks. It measures problems such as wind noise, excessive brake wear, vibrations and the replacement of parts not called for under normal maintenance.

Toyota, whose U.S. sales were up 11.6 percent through May, had seven models score highest in their respective segments - the Corolla compact car, Avalon premium midsize car, MR2 Spyder sports car and 4Runner midsize sport utility vehicle for the Toyota label, and the ES 330 entry luxury car, LS 430 premium luxury car and RX 300 entry luxury SUV for Lexus.

Among individual brands, the most improved from last year were Kia, Suzuki and Audi, though all three continue to perform below the industry average. Kia had 77 fewer problems per 100 vehicles, Suzuki 38 and Audi 23.

GM was tops among the Big Three with 262 problems per 100 vehicles, two fewer than last year. Ford (275) improved by 12 problems from a year ago, and DaimlerChrysler (302) was better by nine problems.

Segment-leading models for the Big Three included the Chrysler Concorde among full-size cars, Ford Ranger among compact pickups and the redesigned GMC Sierra HD among heavy-duty, full-size pickups.

Hyundai, which showed the most improvement among 37 brands in J.D. Power's initial quality study released in April, was near the bottom in the dependability study, registering 375 problems per 100 vehicles.

The bottom five in terms of problems per 100 vehicles were Volkswagen (386), Isuzu (393), Daewoo (411), Kia (432) and Land Rover (472).

Among manufacturers, Toyota (207) was followed by American Honda Motor Co. (210), Porsche Cars North America Inc. (240), GM (262) and BMW of North America (264). Those were the only manufacturers to rank above the industry average.

How specific brands ranked in J.D. Power and Associates' annual vehicle dependability survey released Tuesday.

The study is based on responses from more than 48,000 original owners of 2001 model-year cars and light trucks. The figures represent the number of problems per 100 vehicles:

Brand Problems/100 vehicles

Lexus 162

Buick 187

Infiniti 189

Lincoln 194

Cadillac 196

Honda 209

Acura 212

Toyota 216

Mercury 224

Porsche 240

Chevrolet 262

GMC 262

BMW 264

Saab 265

Saturn 267

INDUSTRY AVG. 269

Ford 276

Nissan 280

Chrysler 285

Mazda 285

Subaru 288

Plymouth 289

Audi 295

Pontiac 297

Dodge 298

Jaguar 310

Jeep 314

Oldsmobile 314

Mercedes-Benz 327

Mitsubishi 327

Volvo 346

Suzuki 365

Hyundai 375

Volkswagen 386

Isuzu 393

Daewoo 411

Kia 432

Land Rover 472

holy crap, am just amazed at the Buick standings, even better than cadillac?

GM is doing very well, half their brands are doing better reliability wise than BMW!

HIP HIP for VOLKSWAGENS AND MERCEDES QUALITY... GERMAN ENGINEERING AT ITS FINEST..

Mercedes is having lots of quality problems as they churn out more and more lower costing cars... volkswagen's business is a mess, read autoextremist.com for a good profile on why the current president is bungling up this company real bad..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Heh, makes me feel safe anytime I have to drive one of my brother's Lexus' anywhere. (He's got the mentioned RX330 and the SC430) :rock

I am disappointed in Nissan...but not surprised. *Thankfully* my Maxima hasn't given me any trouble yet. If only Nissan built their lineup as well as they did their Infinitis. Pricks.

Nissan has sent a shitload of engineers to america (literally like 300+) to figure out whats going on with problems at their plants, so my guess is if they are serious about it, they'll fix up their problems and get back on track..

even with the lower quality, they are still some of the best looking cars around, and pretty feature-laden for the price.. the maxima is a beatiful sedan..

i am particularly fond of the infiniti qx56/nissan armada lately.. the thing is a beast, and it just looks so huge/masculine as well as looking smooth, upscale and sheik.

i think the QX56 will steal some sales from escalade...

however, like always, there is a partial bullshit factor with these rankings.. old people drive lexus and buick alot, so they are going to baby their car more than the typical pontiac owner.. even though buicks and pontiacs share alot in common, they are far different in quality rankings.. however, buick is spending alot more money on their cars these days in their bid to move upscale;.. they want to be the american lexus, so i am sure they will be glad to see they were #2 to lexus on this list...

i am a big fan of their 2005 buick lacrosse.. that car is beautiful, and can be had fully loaded for like $28-30K.

AlphaSnake

LuckyBrand said:
Nissan has sent a shitload of engineers to america (literally like 300+) to figure out whats going on with problems at their plants, so my guess is if they are serious about it, they'll fix up their problems and get back on track..

even with the lower quality, they are still some of the best looking cars around, and pretty feature-laden for the price.. the maxima is a beatiful sedan..

i am particularly fond of the infiniti qx56/nissan armada lately.. the thing is a beast, and it just looks so huge/masculine as well as looking smooth, upscale and sheik.

i think the QX56 will steal some sales from escalade...

however, like always, there is a partial bullshit factor with these rankings.. old people drive lexus and buick alot, so they are going to baby their car more than the typical pontiac owner.. even though buicks and pontiacs share alot in common, they are far different in quality rankings.. however, buick is spending alot more money on their cars these days in their bid to move upscale;.. they want to be the american lexus, so i am sure they will be glad to see they were #2 to lexus on this list...

i am a big fan of their 2005 buick lacrosse.. that car is beautiful, and can be had fully loaded for like $28-30K.

Nissan's facing a recal issue with the new Maxima right now. There are reports of the sky roof exploding. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/612165/2 Check that out, it's got pics of this one guy who just experienced it. It's insane. The 2004 Maxima is such a shitty car. It doesn't deserve the Maxima namesake. It's bulky. The interior is *cheap!*. The ride is clunky, and so on. They just started assembling the 6th generation Maximas here in America, which may explain the crap factor of the new Maxima. The previous generation (the one I own) was assembled in Japan and didn't have nearly as many initial problems as does the 6th gen. Nissan needs to step the shit up, they've been pissing me off lately.

well they are stretching themselves thin with so many new models and opening so many new plants in USA.. plus renault is their parent company and their only goal is profitability, they are really cheaping out wherever they can...

and i guess i am in the minority when I saw i think the new maximas are the best looking ones yet.. i love its bulky/wide stance..

AlphaSnake

LuckyBrand said:
well they are stretching themselves thin with so many new models and opening so many new plants in USA.. plus renault is their parent company and their only goal is profitability, they are really cheaping out wherever they can...

and i guess i am in the minority when I saw i think the new maximas are the best looking ones yet.. i love its bulky/wide stance..

Drive one and compare it to the 5th gen. They're crap. If it was a bit shorter in length then it may retain some of its appeal, but it's as long as a frigin' Bentley. Nissan pissed all over the Maxima namesake.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fatghost28 said:
The Altima V6 SE is the real successor to the Maxima.

IAWTP bigtime.... This is the first Altima I seriously considered trading in my Accord for...

This has to be one of the worse rear quarters I've seen on a car in recent memory.

c442583a.jpg

And even that picture doesn't paint a good picture of how awkward looking that rear is up close.

The Altima has a similar back end style but the bumper isn't NEARLY as pronounced as the one on the Max.

Here are the top ten with # of makes/models. Kudos once again to that crazy truck company Toyota for all those vehicles and still keeping quality highy.

Lexus: 9
Buick: 6
Infiniti: 6
Lincoln: 4
Cadillac: 8
Honda: 8
Acura: 6
Toyota: 17
Mercury: 6
Porsche: 4

Status
Not open for further replies.