• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Carrey: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

looks like we should expect some comedic goodness...

Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The (2005) (announced) .... Walter Mitty
Six Million Dollar Man, The (2005) (announced) .... Col. Steve Austin
Fun with Dick and Jane (2005) (pre-production) .... Dick Harper
Over the Hedge (2005) (filming) (voice) .... RJ
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) (post-production) .... Count Olaf

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000120/

"Walter Mitty, a daydreaming accountant with an overprotective mother, likes to imagine himself as a hero experiencing great adventures. His dream becomes true when he accidently meets a mysterious woman who hands him a little black book. According to her it contains the locations of the Dutch crown jewels hidden since World War II. Soon Mitty finds himself in the middle of a confusing conspiracy and has to admit that being a hero in real life isn't that easy."

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Meh, I've always liked Jim Carrey far more when he's in serious roles (Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon, The Truman Show); like Roman Williams, he is an unlikely stellar dramatic actor.

As far as comedy goes, he was good in The Cable Guy and Dumb & Dumber, and that's about all I can think of.

Mashing

What would you say your favorite Jim Carrey comedies are? I'd have go with Liar, Liar and The Mask... followed by the first Ace Ventura. He played that character to perfection. I feel he's slipped in recent years

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mashing said:
What would you say your favorite Jim Carrey comedies are? I'd have go with Liar, Liar and The Mask... followed by the first Ace Ventura. He played that character to perfection. I feel he's slipped in recent years
See, I disliked all of those. I'm not big on his "I'm overacting and exaggerating so it has to be funny!" routine. I guess that's why I feel just the opposite -- that he's gained some ground in recent years.

EDIT: Amen to that, Matlock. I see that movie get a lot of hate, but I think it's brilliant...maybe even one of my most favorite comedies.

Desperado

Liar Liar, Ace Ventura 1, Bruce Almighty. Yes, I liked Bruce Almighty. So sue me. =P

Mashing

Actually my favorite Jim Carrey movie is the The Truman Show, but it's not a comedy so that's why I didn't list it.

But you're right, he's actually good in dramatic roles.

human5892 said:
See, I disliked all of those. I'm not big on his "I'm overacting and exaggerating so it has to be funny!" routine. I guess that's why I feel just the opposite -- that he's gained some ground in recent years.

EDIT: Amen to that, Matlock. I see that movie get a lot of hate, but I think it's brilliant...maybe even one of my most favorite comedies.

I agree somewhat. I loved ACE VENTURA! But the problem is... It gets old, real fast. To date, his two fave movies of mine are The Truman Show, and Bruce Almighty. And I think in Bruce.A, if he had been a little more serious, he could have shown a much broader range of acting. He was really good in it, but he still had a bit of that "I'm the Pet detective" stuck in him. I'd like to see him in just one movie where he doesn't pull a Mask with his face. :) Doesn't have to be a drama, just a comedy that doesn't involve spinning around at high speeds and stretching out his body to inhuman proportions.

Malakhov

Banned
carey.gif

Malakhov said:

Still the most ridiculous sports story I can remember. How does a guy go from Vezina to career over like that?

Back to the other Jim, though - I agree. He was robbed for no Truman Show nominations.

A lot of his bad films were bad mostly due to the script, not his acting. His acting normally fits the character pretty well. And Eternal Sunshine > anything you will ever be or wish to accomplish.

ced said:
Did no one like The Majestic?

I liked it. I really liked it actually.

However, I absolutely loved The Truman Show. It's one of my all-time favorite movies. Everyone should be required to watch it at least once. Obviously it's my favorite Jim Carrey movie.

The Cable Guy was great. The Ace Ventura movies were not so great.

Mason

Walter Mitty is based off a short story. I didn't know they were still going through with a movie on that.

And Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, and Dumb and Dumber are my favorite comedies. I love all his dramatic stuff too, even The Majestic.

Mashing

Please, that movie sucks... I'd watch Cable Guy before that piece of shit (and I'm not one of those persons against the subject matter like a lot of people cried about at the movies release)

Edit: Although I do have to admit those 3 black kids in that movie were hilarious.

Mason

I remember before Me, Myself, and Irene came out I was so excited Jim Carrey was finally in a R-rated comedy. I wanted to hear him say "fuck" so badly; it was like he'd been avoiding it for years.

Socreges

Banned
Amazing how diverse the opinions are on his work.

My favourite comedy of his is easily Dumb and Dumber.

Every movie he has coming up sounds really good. I think he's more selective now in choosing roles.

gblues

Banned
No love for "High Strung?"

OK, so it's a bit part, and the rest of the movie is basically a monologue. Still, Carrey does a good job in his role.

Nathan

GodsTyro

I have no doubt that Carrey will be one of those actors remembered for the quality of his work and never giving a performance below par. He's a smart, talented dude.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Leon said:
Did your brain snap back into place since that post of yours or not yet?
I don't see how the two are at odds. There were quite a few scenes in The Cable Guy where he had to contain himself to a slow, psychotic burn, which he did very well. He only went "crazy" when he literally needed to -- and even then, there were very few rubber face/fast motion windmill arms moments.

Compare this to his Ace Ventura character or his performance in Liar Liar, and you'll see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom