• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams produced movie "God Particle" renamed "Cloverfield"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Releasing OCT 27.
DEADLINE said:
Bad Robot’s God Particle, which was originally expected to launch on Feb. 24 has been moved off the schedule. Meanwhile, there’s a new Cloverfield movie in Imax that landed on the release calendar for Oct. 27, the pre-Halloween frame. It’s a clever way of wording a release date announcement because the gist is that Julius Onah’s God Particle is now Cloverfield. God’s Particle stars David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl and Chris O’Dowd. Pic focuses on a group of astronauts aboard an international space station who make a shocking discovery and must fight for their survival. Oren Uziel and Doug Jung wrote the screenplay.
http://deadline.com/2016/12/cloverf...ot-moves-pics-around-at-paramount-1201866792/
"CLOVERFIELD" might be a working title for now.

Phased

I'm really digging the anthology route they're going with Cloverfield.

So long as they keep being good movies, I'm on board.

Viewt

Just "Cloverfield?" That's odd. We already knew that this movie was going to be part of the anthology, but I figured they'd at least give it a title like, "The Cloverfield Mission" or "Cloverfield Outpost" or something.

Blader

Just "Cloverfield?" That's odd. We already knew that this movie was going to be part of the anthology, but I figured they'd at least give it a title like, "The Cloverfield Mission" or "Cloverfield Outpost" or something.

I think they mean it's renamed to [Untitled Cloverfield Movie] for the time being.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So Cloverfield is going to space?

Cloverfield 1 - Alien-engineered Kaiju (like pacific rim) dropped off to test earth's respons/capabilities

Cloverfield 2 - invasion begins

Cloverfield 3 - fighting aliens in space

it's basically independence day

I remember reading a summary when the movie was first announced that basically said the "discovery" wasn't aliens, but that the Earth had disappeared.

Yup, found it from 2012:
The crew of an American space station dealing with the disappearance of the Earth and an approaching European spaceship.

EDIT: Also from IMDb,
“God Particle” is a “Die Hard in a Space Station” movie, one of those “big idea” flicks that starts out really well, then ends up really (almost shockingly) generic. I liken it to Danny Boyle’s “Sunshine” crossed with “Die Hard”.

Ashhong

I remember reading a summary when the movie was first announced that basically said the "discovery" wasn't aliens, but that the Earth had disappeared.

Yup, found it from 2012:

EDIT: Also from IMDb,

This soudns like a fucking spoiler to me. I hope this is different in the movie now.

This soudns like a fucking spoiler to me. I hope this is different in the movie now.
Well, this was the pitch when Bad Robot bought the script back in 2012. For all you know, they might have changed a lot about the movie since then. The Die Hard comparison was from the script bought in 2012.

Akahige

Well, this was the pitch when Bad Robot bought the script back in 2012. For all you know, they might have changed a lot about the movie since then. The Die Hard comparison was from the script bought in 2012.
The co-writer of Star Trek Beyond wrote the latest draft so it's probably quite different.

Ashhong

A similar thing was said about Cloverfield Lane, and that movie ended up exactly what people thought it would be. :(

Just saw that trailer for LIFE though. Between that and this, I'm going to love next year! Sunshine is still one of my all time favorites so any comparisons to that is a good one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Cloverfield: The Revengening

"Take this, alien scum!" As a spaceship in the shape of the statue of liberty crashes into the alien planet

Burai

shitonmychest57
I like to think all three Cloverfield movies are set during the same day.

Even though they clearly aren't.

I liked that I spent all of 10 Cloverfield Lane trying to find the link to Cloverfield only for her to drive past the mailbox to reveal that there wasn't one and that the twist was that there was no link.

More of that please.

Vinc

Why would SAW move? Halloween is their bread and butter.

Because Cloverfield would likely destroy them. Saw's been gone for what... 7 years by that point? And the last couple Saw movies nearly bombed, with 3D only being helped by its gimmick. The Saw 1 re-release bombed at record levels, and the franchise doesn't have the pull it used to have. They're hoping to soft-reboot it so they can make yearly sequels again, so they'll want to give Saw a nice spotlight.

Even though they clearly aren't.

I liked that I spent all of 10 Cloverfield Lane trying to find the link to Cloverfield only for her to drive past the mailbox to reveal that there wasn't one and that the twist was that there was no link.

More of that please.
Except that there was a link, Goodman worked for the company that owned Slusho and was responsible for the drilling that woke up Clovie in the first movie/timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom