• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Daly's Pro Stroke Golf |OT| MOVE EDITION

OnlookerDelay said:
Gluv, how big of an impact is the fact that the entire course is loaded into memory (as opposed to Tiger Woods 20XX's one hole at a time) on the gameplay? I'm thinking it would not only improve the pace of the game, it should also bring more realistic shotmaking into the picture. I'm sure that in JDPG's Tour Pro mode, there will be times when one will spray a shot into an adjacent fairway and be forced to play a recovery shot. In the same scenario in Tiger Woods, you'd be declared "O.B.".

OTOH, the fact that the game does load the entire course into memory at the start probably accounts for the lackluster graphics. I can stomach the PS2 1/2 graphics as long as the gameplay and interface make up for it.

I check these things for you. I can safely say, that it being 1:1 and knowing the glowing sphere is treated like a club head, being able to transfer weight(in game), opening and closing the head, and great physics this game, in the swing mechanic takes a giant dump on Tiger Woods.

Gluv, how big of an impact is the fact that the entire course is loaded into memory (as opposed to Tiger Woods 20XX's one hole at a time) on the gameplay?

The initial load is about 26sec. and Once it loads(Tested Front 9) it just goes to the next hole no loading. I'm glad you asked this because I wasn't even paying attention but the pacing is really good.

I'm sure that in JDPG's Tour Pro mode, there will be times when one will spray a shot into an adjacent fairway and be forced to play a recovery shot. In the same scenario in Tiger Woods, you'd be declared "O.B.".

Pro Tour(RED) If you have all 18 holes course rendered, so that if you really hook a shot, you might end up playing off of another fairway, rather than being OB.

I'm going back down to Pro, I need a little help from the cpu. Pro Tour taught me one thing, I am not a professional golfer. So I'm going down to Pro yellow and see how I fair.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
is this available digitally for pc? or just retail?
adn what kinda DRM is it using?
was really hoping to pickit up on steam but doesn't seem to be in the catalog

Afrikan

Never been to a golf course before...and never played Golf...but I've always been interested.

played Golf videogames since the NES days.

I just didn't want to go out there to spend money on something I would've been f'ng up on the whole time :lol .

so hopefully with the tutorials in the game...as well as practice swings..and how Gluv is explaining how accurate it is......I'm probably going to get this...just to get a better idea on initial stances and swings...and just to practice.

I'm guessing for its price....this is the cheapest way to get some accurate practice swings in for various situations....before going to a range or course? At-least it seems like it.

edit- I'm not expecting it to be "omg real" but just for it to make the adjustment for someone who has never played before alittle easier...before putting up money for the real thing.

Malio

Extra accessories include a beer can, a dirty wife-beater, half a bottle of Jack and a pack of smokes.

Fixed1979

I think I'm just going to say fuck it and jump in. It can't be worse than Tiger in terms of actual swing mechanics and all I'm looking for is solid gameplay.

Torgo

Got this yesterday, but can't play it until tomorrow. I liked what I played at E3 though, a I'm excited to see what they've done with the Move controls etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gluv65 said:
Updated with Onelooker question answered.

Nice. Hey can you correct the OP's misspelling of some things. Like Barbazon and the incorrect " tags. And can we have a full list of courses and maybe a look at the playable golfers?

AndyD said:
Nice. Hey can you correct the OP's misspelling of some things. Like Barbazon and the incorrect " tags. And can we have a full list of courses and maybe a look at the playable golfers?

I cut and pasted that info directly from their site.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gluv65 said:
I cut and pasted that info directly from their site.

I know. It was mispelled on their site as well. I just thought people here might want a correct OP.
Heres a quick and dirty edit of the courses section.

---

We have secured both interesting and challenging courses, designed by some of the greatest names in world golf.

Ballesteros, Faldo and Woosnam were three of the "Big Five" generation of European golfers, all born within 12 months of one another, all of whom have won majors, and made Europe competitive in the Ryder Cup.

The Shire London (only course in England designed by Ballesteros) is laid out like few other golf courses in the world. There are six par 5s, six par 4s and six par 3s, and on both the front nine and the back nine, no two consecutive holes are the same par, with equal numbers of par 3s, 4s and 5s. This gives maximum variety, and maximum enjoyment - a core philosophy of Seve's designs.

Hailed as one of the finest recently-built golf courses in England, Chart Hills is the British architectural debut of six times Major winner, Nick Faldo. There are 18 very distinctive holes at Chart Hills which, collectively, demand a great variety of shot-making skills, making this a very strategic test and a real thinking mans golf course. More than anything, Faldo wanted to design a course that would offer different challenges to different players.

We also have The Brabazon (at Belfry) which doesn't really need introducing. After all, it's unique. This course has played host to more Ryder Cups than any other course on the planet - four in total. The excitement comes from playing memorable and familiar holes- there is more water on the Brabazon than just about any other inland course in the British Isles- the course has two outstanding holes, which have been popularised - the 10th and 18th.

There's a strong connection with our title to the Ryder Cup and this is something we have planned with our release date in mind.

We are also pleased to announce that Mystic Rock, designed by the legendary Pete Dyer is also featured in the game.

---

A couple more questions for those who've played the game:

1.) Is it true there is no online multiplayer matchup lobby? I'm hearing that it's only possible to get a multiplayer game by setting up a private match and inviting players. If this is true, it's going to make it difficult to get a match as small a footprint as this game is likely to make.

2.) When you're playing against a computer player, do you watch them play their shot from your golfer's postion (or really any non-shot camera position), or are you forced to watch it from the default shot camera perspective? I had heard that they were going to use alternate viewing perspectives for other player's shots, but I wasn't sure that might only apply to online multiplayer.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Every time I see this thread, all I can think of is:

lee-carvello-putting-challenge.jpg

AndyD said:
I know. It was mispelled on their site as well. I just thought people here might want a correct OP.
Heres a quick and dirty edit of the courses section.

---

We have secured both interesting and challenging courses, designed by some of the greatest names in world golf.

Ballesteros, Faldo and Woosnam were three of the "Big Five" generation of European golfers, all born within 12 months of one another, all of whom have won majors, and made Europe competitive in the Ryder Cup.

The Shire London (only course in England designed by Ballesteros) is laid out like few other golf courses in the world. There are six par 5s, six par 4s and six par 3s, and on both the front nine and the back nine, no two consecutive holes are the same par, with equal numbers of par 3s, 4s and 5s. This gives maximum variety, and maximum enjoyment - a core philosophy of Seve's designs.

Hailed as one of the finest recently-built golf courses in England, Chart Hills is the British architectural debut of six times Major winner, Nick Faldo. There are 18 very distinctive holes at Chart Hills which, collectively, demand a great variety of shot-making skills, making this a very strategic test and a real thinking mans golf course. More than anything, Faldo wanted to design a course that would offer different challenges to different players.

We also have The Brabazon (at Belfry) which doesn't really need introducing. After all, it's unique. This course has played host to more Ryder Cups than any other course on the planet - four in total. The excitement comes from playing memorable and familiar holes- there is more water on the Brabazon than just about any other inland course in the British Isles- the course has two outstanding holes, which have been popularised - the 10th and 18th.

There's a strong connection with our title to the Ryder Cup and this is something we have planned with our release date in mind.

We are also pleased to announce that Mystic Rock, designed by the legendary Pete Dyer is also featured in the game.

---

Edited: Now in OP.

a cool little tip for those playing the game, to get shot tracker

in prostroke view practice swing, after swinging press the triangle button too see how your ball will travel.

Earlier in the thread I asked if there was a matchup lobby, thinking that the only way to get an online multiplayer match was via a private match and inviting players to join. I now know there is no matchup lobby, but the game does have a Quick AND Custom game search function. Custom search is what I use 90% of the time in Tiger Woods anyway, so this will get the job done for me.

A full-fledged matchup lobby, with a chat window would be nice to have, but the Custom match search will more than get the job done for me... the lack of a matchup lobby is no longer a concern to me having learned this now.

gluv65 said:
a cool little tip for those playing the game, to get shot tracker

in prostroke view practice swing, after swinging press the triangle button too see how your ball will travel.

Is that available in Tour Pro mode? Just wondering if it would be considered an aid that wouldn't fit their perception of Tour Pro difficulty.

OnlookerDelay said:
Is that available in Tour Pro mode? Just wondering if it would be considered an aid that wouldn't fit their perception of Tour Pro difficulty.

I'll check, I will also check your online question, from my understanding though online is gimped to private matches.

This is a quote from a poster over at operation sports regarding online.

Rupe: "No online lobbies which kinda sucks, You can have private matches where you invite friends to play. Also quick and custom matches".

Since not too many people have the game, I will post others opinions so that this thread doesn't look like I work for these people.

from Operation Sports

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/golf/449078-some-quick-john-dalys-prostroke-impressions.html

Rupe

After playing for an hour here are some impressions.

I have not played a full course yet because you have to unlock the john daly challenges before it will allow to enter a tournament. The challengers are a good way besides the tutorial to get a feel for the game. Bare bones on the options. You wont have all the fun stuff that TW golf has, but I hated the move implementation in that game.

Swinging is not a true measure of speed and power as I hoped. Either that or I doing something wrong. When I golf i dont have a full back swing, more of a 3/4, but I explode into the shot. In this game a full range of motion is necessary for full power.

The feel of the game will take some getting used to but will be really fun. Don't think it will help your golf game much though as you really don't get that "feel" of a golf club. I'm pulling the ball more than I do in real life. Chips shots I'm hitting way too hard along with puts. There a 3 levels of difficulty with 2 or three levels within those levels. I have not figured out how to change the difficulty (need to read more of the manual).

Graphics are really bad, but hey its golf.

The menu navigation is not as smooth as Sports Champions. The calibration seems off no mater how many times I recalibrate. The pointer shakes a bunch and is really really touchy.

Have not tried online yet. Not until I get a good feel for the game. I'll play some more tonight after I get done playing some lego batman and lego starwars with my 4 year old. Ooooooooooo the difficulties in sharing your ps3 with you boy lol.

All in all, once I get a feel for everything I can see myself playing this alot. I do wish they allowed for custom sound tracks as the overall sound of the game is pretty stale. Might be better in tourney mode.

Ok this game would definitely benefit from custom sound tracks. The commentating is just bland.

The game is harder then I expected which is a good thing. Im getting better but I still pull too many shots. I really need to practice the driving part of the game. Putting is hard. I wish they had a better free moving camera to get a better look at the puts. One that rotates on the y axis.

No online lobbies which kinda sucks, You can have private matches where you invite friends to play. Also quick and custom matches. I'll try an online game tomorrow night as the wife is going out for girls night and I should have a bunch of time to play it. Hti me up if you wanna try the online out. psn is rupe. My back is sore as hell just like when I play real golf lol. Not a good thing.

Shon:

Played for about an hour and I liked what I played. The sensitivity in the menu's needs to be addressed as I had to use two hands to steady the pointer to select menu items but it worked well while playing.

The graphics weren't terrible and didn't distract from the game. The best thing is the loading times. After the initial load of the course there are no loads between holes, in TW there is a 5-10 sec wait and I hate that. Also since you are playing the whole course and not just one hole at a time I hit into another holes fairway and that is like my real game.

There are 3 difficulty levels and I need more time to practice to see which one I like best. I found on the hardest difficulty that I couldn't get the full swing power without really swinging hard, I'm not sure how much the swing rhythm is taken into account.

Putting was a little difficult for me as I felt it was too sensitive and some times I would hit the move button to start my shot and I would be over the ball and accidentally hit it a couple of inches.

The commentary is not good and I heard repeats after 9 holes. You can play a quickmatch and I was able to chose different courses but I didn't check to see if all were
available but I did go through 4 of them so there is a way to play the courses without
doing the challenges.

One strange thing did happen though, I was playing a quick match and after 9 holes a video started playing and it was a commercial for a car, it wasn't long maybe 10 seconds but I wasn't expecting it and hadn't heard of that being in the game.

Psunami

I will agree with what you guys said that chipping is very difficult. I was struggling with it even in the tutorial.

Getting the feel for putting will be a challenge as well.

One thing that I really liked was how you adjusted the ball in your stance, it was very intuitive and felt right.

It's funny that you guys mention your back hurting a bit when playing the game, I noticed that last night as well. I played for about an hour or so and once I sat down my back was aching a bit. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to how the game wants you to swing, rather than how my 'normal' golf swing works.

Triggerfish

just started playing with it. I think i'm going to like it! Stance ..release...angle of club...things that golfers struggle with...i know i do! lol!! Finally some fun! Not knocking the other brand..it's hard for them to make it like that because of the generic crowd but i'm lovin it! Finally another golf game! Graphics are not on par with Tiger but for me at least not a big deal. Again i liked prostroke in 2007!

OnlookerDelay said:
Gluv, how successful have you been in finding Custom matches using the search function?

I'm trying to get my swing correct and play properly. This is not a game you just jump online, you must learn how the swing mechanic works. It's very sensitive and requires your utmost attention.

I will eventually get to online, but I have a feeling no one will be there when I get there.

gluv65 said:
I'm trying to get my swing correct and play properly. This is not a game you just jump online, you must learn how the swing mechanic works. It's very sensitive and requires your utmost attention.

Are you finding the cursor control/navigation any easier to manage over time? One of the developers suggests lower the Move sensitivity in its calibration to help with this, but I have a feeling that could result in the player having to swing the Move even harder to produce a 100% swing. I still read a lot of complaints from people about how fast they have to swing the Move to get near a 100% result. I’m guessing this is with default sensitivity? (I don’t own a PS3, let alone a Move so I don’t know how or where the Move’s sensitivity is adjusted).

I will eventually get to online, but I have a feeling no one will be there when I get there.

I haven’t read one account of anyone playing an online match thus far, so I imagine this is going to be tough unless more people pick the game up.

I’m curious, can you see non-Move owners playing this game and enjoying it? I’ve read one account from someone who actually preferred playing it with the DS3 over the Move.

Ristlager

Got to bump this thread. DAMN THIS IS A GOOD GOLF SIMULATOR GAME!!

Everyone who is interested in golf and play it regulary, should run to the nearest store and pick it up NOW. I am utterly amazed on how good the controls are. I am a 10 hc irl, so I know my way around a golfcourse. And damn how interesting it is to se how much they have done right with regards to the swing. I can't recommend this game enough to the serious golfer. Put on the highest sensitivity on tour mode and you have real one on one controll. What is really good is the short game, where you can actually make any shot you want. And it is all your input that counts, not press a button to make a flop or some shit.

The there are lot of negatives:
- terrible sound,
- ok graphics (they do their job)
- hard to use the move to select stuff in the menues (but they menues are quick so there isn't that big of a problem to go back)
- almost no content outside the courses (which are very good)
- weird bugs/glitches (nothing severe and happends rearly)
- totally uninterested John Daly (turn the sound down and listen to your own music
- poor carriere
- to inch putts, when you are switching from practice to swing and not paying attention...
This means that if you are not golfinterested irl, you should pick up TW instead. The move controlls in that game are terrible, but there are much to do and unlock.

But the controlls are so good that it outweights the negatives by a huge margin. Go buy this game, so we get a sequel with tons of extras and it'll be the game of the year (for me) next year. GO GO GO!!

I am in now way related to John Daly or the makers of this game :)

jayb

so there haven't been any recent patches for this game yet? I was holding out on buying this until they released a patch for some of the things Ristlager lists.

patsu

I have this game, and play with a few ex-Golf buddies. We were surprised by the accuracy and authenticity of the feel. If you like Sports Champions and are a golfer, you'll most likely like this game too.

The only problem for us was... we looked at each other and joked a lot during the game. By the time, we looked down to swing, we forgot where the imaginery ball was (Ha ha). Had to mark the ball on your carpet using a coin or something.

So if I get this for my dad who's an avid golfer will he like it or be annoyed with the move controls? I'm assuming by the above post it should be good to go?

1-D_FTW

Last dude who bumped got nothing, but I figured I'd give it another go.

Just picked up the Starter kit (with Sports Champions) for 49.99 on Amazon. Wondering if this game is worth it. Thought Tiger Woods with motion+ was shit. It's my understanding that was better than the PS3 version with Move. So is this really worth trying, or is it just more hyped shovelware?

Top Bottom