• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure STONE OCEAN on NETFLIX December 2021

Netflix? Does that mean they'll release a bunch of episodes and take a break for a year or so?

I'd much rather have the regular weekly broadcast.

is this gonna be exclusively on Netflix or would Crunchyroll also be simu-casting it too?

edit: never mind, just saw that end where it says "only on Netflix". guess that'll be exclusive then.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Definitely one of my favorite parts of the manga. Awesome trailer.

This is a Netflix timed exclusive, coming out there in December and elsewhere in January. I'm really wondering the specifics of how the streaming distribution will be handled...

I need my JoJo Fridays.

daTRUballin

Yooooooo! My brother and I have been waiting for the 6th part to come out, so this is good news. He introduced me to the series and we watched the first 5 parts together last year lol

I hope this arc is more ambitious than the last two.

Honestly this series has been kinda mediocre since Stardust Crusade ended on such an amazing high.

Stone Ocean is where JoJo went bad, anyway.

I hope this arc is more ambitious than the last two.

Honestly this series has been kinda mediocre since Stardust Crusade ended on such an amazing high.
Take a load of these takes.

There should be a term for when the popularity of a series reaches a point where you start seeing people who can't resist the urge to express their dislike of that series. I swear this happens with every single popular series out there.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
For people who've read the manga how do you rate this arc? I thought Diamond is Unbreakable was the best series so far, and Golden Wind was a bit all over the place.

GymWolf

Gold Member
People told me that this one make look the fuckery in giorno's adventure like logic and intelligent stuff...

YCoCg

For people who've read the manga how do you rate this arc? I thought Diamond is Unbreakable was the best series so far, and Golden Wind was a bit all over the place.
It's pacing is a bit weird but in all honesty the anime versions of DIU and Golden Wind seriously improved on that, so if Stone Oceon gets the same treatment then it'd be one the best considering the ending.

Fuz

Banned
Take a load of these takes.

There should be a term for when the popularity of a series reaches a point where you start seeing people who can't resist the urge to express their dislike of that series. I swear this happens with every single popular series out there.
Take a lod of this take.

Here's we see a sheep thinking something is good just because it's popular.

NahaNago

I guess I'll work on catching up since I had stopped watching somewhere during the second season?

Last edited:

Fbh

As long as they get zero creative input and don't get to choose the animations studio I guess this is fine.

It's trash with some minor things I like about it. Those being two characters.

Female MC and unironic gay couple and also has the first appearance of a character being a woman then later changing to a man so you know the trans debate from Zoomers will follow. It was MADE for Twitter.

Stands are shit, scenario is shit, character designs are whack, It's in the running for worst part with Phantom Blood and Jojolion.

It's all good though, Part VII is Araki's Magnum Opus.

Last edited:
Take a lod of this take.

Here's we see a sheep thinking something is good just because it's popular.
Take a load of this reach.

I didn’t say popularity inherently means quality, just that popularity attracts the contrarians who think they’re original and have a higher taste than the masses. You can’t say you dislike something if you haven’t heard of it.

If we’re talking good or bad, there are many popular series that happen to be very good which is why they became popular in the first place. You can’t tell me popularity has nothing to do with quality. Some series are popular because they’re good, but not all of course. I just find it baffling that no matter how good something may be, there will always be someone who shows up and says in a condescending manner “this is bad and all of you are sheep for liking it”.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got around to catching up and watching this.

Overall I think things do drop off from part 4 onward. Parts 1-3 are great, especially Part 2 via David Productions and Part 3 via the original OVAs from back in the day (which are just brilliant). 1-3 together make for a classic story.

Part 4 is my least favorite, with such low stakes and annoying characters.

Part 5 is a return to form. Bruno Buccarati is a boss--such creative uses of his ability--and the story makes great use of Italy as a setting. There is too much fighting after fighting with no breathing room and too little plot for a lot of the runtime. And things really go off the rails with Requiem. But enjoyable overall.

Part 6 is all over the place. The characters are generally fun and it's consistently engaging, but the abilities flat out make no sense anymore and Araki has zero understanding of elementary school level science, which is just painful. Zero gravity does WHAT to the air? But, not a dealbreaker despite how dumb it gets at times.

It's bittersweet being done with the main Jojo storyline after all this time. But I'm glad the series is so popular now.

Overall I think things do drop off from part 4 onward. Parts 1-3 are great, especially Part 2 via David Productions and Part 3 via the original OVAs from back in the day (which are just brilliant). 1-3 together make for a classic story.

Part 5 is a return to form. Bruno Buccarati is a boss--such creative uses of his ability--and the story makes great use of Italy as a setting. There is too much fighting after fighting with no breathing room and too little plot for a lot of the runtime. And things really go off the rails with Requiem. But enjoyable overall.

Part 6 is all over the place. The characters are generally fun and it's consistently engaging, but the abilities flat out make no sense anymore and Araki has zero understanding of elementary school level science, which is just painful. Zero gravity does WHAT to the air? But, not a dealbreaker despite how dumb it gets at times.

It's bittersweet being done with the main Jojo storyline after all this time. But I'm glad the series is so popular now.
LET'S FUCKING GO.

Part 5 and Part 7 are my favourite parts and Part 7 is DEFINITELY the best part of the series. Ten years ago the hardcore Jojo fanbase were Part 4 drones and Part 5 used to get shit on hard, which I resented. Kira is the best Jojo antagonist but Part 4 is just... Mid.

Animation quality for Part 6 matches the story quality, the overusage of CGI is so bad but so is Part 6. It also wasn't popular in SJ after Part 5 concluding.

REALLY hope a miracle happens for Part 7. Part 8 starts off mid, gets a lot better then ends up being pretty bad. Part 9 right now has no fanfare and the fanbase sort of shits on it but I REALLY like it, it's very similar to Part 5 and there's more but I can't say due to spoilers. I have been waiting for over a decade for a The Smiths stand in Jojo and Part 9 gave me a character and stand so I'm happy with that.

Last edited:

First one was good, after all it's the one that started me and my friend who I've been watching the series from the start all over these years.
Stardust Crusaders tho is peak series, Joutaro was fantastic, HOWEVER Polnareff was the man, that guy went through so much shit and dealt with so much stuff, we both loved him.
Diamond one was ok, tho I hated the fact that most of it happens in the same area compared to a whole amazing travel adventure in the second series, and it plays kinda safe.
The one with GIo was kinda MEH, and he was absolutely useless the entire show, Buciaratti carried everything.
Star Ocean was kinda eh as well, the ending was absolutely ridiculous.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
LET'S FUCKING GO.

Part 5 and Part 7 are my favourite parts and Part 7 is DEFINITELY the best part of the series. Ten years ago the hardcore Jojo fanbase were Part 4 drones and Part 5 used to get shit on hard, which I resented. Kira is the best Jojo antagonist but Part 4 is just... Mid.

Animation quality for Part 6 matches the story quality, the overusage of CGI is so bad but so is Part 6. It also wasn't popular in SJ after Part 5 concluding.

REALLY hope a miracle happens for Part 7. Part 8 starts off mid, gets a lot better then ends up being pretty bad. Part 9 right now has no fanfare and the fanbase sort of shits on it but I REALLY like it, it's very similar to Part 5 and there's more but I can't say due to spoilers. I have been waiting for over a decade for a The Smiths stand in Jojo and Part 9 gave me a character and stand so I'm happy with that.
Hopefully with how popular Jojo is these days, we get a strong adaptation for Part 7 some day. David Productions has been solid for the whole thing, though I do think it can feel like a motion comic at times. There are moments when they could just be showing rather than stopping to have characters yelling out several minutes of explanations for every single action on screen a la DBZ. Budgetary constraints, but better than a shoddy reimagining compressed into 13 or 26 episodes like hundreds of other manga have been stuck with in anime form. So I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

First one was good, after all it's the one that started me and my friend who I've been watching the series from the start all over these years.
Stardust Crusaders tho is peak series, Joutaro was fantastic, HOWEVER Polnareff was the man, that guy went through so much shit and dealt with so much stuff, we both loved him.
Diamond one was ok, tho I hated the fact that most of it happens in the same area compared to a whole amazing travel adventure in the second series, and it plays kinda safe.
The one with GIo was kinda MEH, and he was absolutely useless the entire show, Buciaratti carried everything.
Star Ocean was kinda eh as well, the ending was absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, Stardust Crusaders will forever be iconic. Re: Giorno, I don't see him as the main character of Part 5. Bucciarati all the way.

YCoCg

I'm still annoyed at how much part 6 was stretched out, killed the hype but the ending was a nice throwback.

Battle Tendancy going into Stardust Crusaders is my highlight.

I've seen JoJo fans come back around to appreciate part 4 in hindsight, and I'm hoping some here on GAF will too. People dislike it at first because it doesn't follow the same formula and stakes as Parts 3 and 5, but I look at it like the season that's most like a sort of Persona game.

It's self-contained, it introduces you to a ton of new unique characters who aren't all villains (most of them just residents with their own quirks, problems, and backstories), you get to know their personalities, Josuke is more of a helper/healer with a prank side, it's not afraid to have moments of seeing the main cast enjoy themselves and have fun times, and he makes a ton of new connections and friends along the way. I also like the fact that the world wasn't at stake this time around and it was just some killer who was threatening Josuke's home town and the people he got to know.

Edit: It also has quite a few memorable funny moments. One of my favorites was the episode where they met the guy who tells them he is an Alien (the show never fully confirms it IIRC and I love that) and after finding out what his power is, Josuke immediately asks him to turn into a pair of dice so that he could win a betting game against Rohan, to which Rohan stabs his own pinky finger in suspecting Josuke as a cheater, all while his house is slowly catching on fire in the background that neither party are paying attention to until the fire has already engulfed his house. No other JoJo part after 3 has moments like this except for that one dancing scene in part 5, because the characters are thrust into a nonstop roller coaster ride of fighting and suspense.

The ending shot with him and the cast of the Morioh standing alongside him (Couldn't find the exact screenshot but it's close to the below) which summarizes his part perfectly:

dasrivd-64bed615-ccb0-4c3f-a939-9c24dcfdf6b4.png

I felt this way even moreso after watching Jolyne's season, which was an entire season that felt like it had to constantly raise the stakes even higher after Giorno's completely broken-yet-cool ability. It made me feel better that the series ended there or else it would have suffered from a powerscale fatigue that shows like DBZ/DBS have encountered before.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Where do they go after this one?
I won’t spoil, but they pulled some shit off in the end that kinda makes DBZ seem tame.

Last edited:

thefool

Stone Ocean with Jotaro is lovely, the stakes are enormous, it's emotional and creative. Sadly he is absent from most of it so everything in-between is, easily, the weakest JoJo Part.

There's still quite a few cool stands. I particularly loved the absurdity that is Dragon's Dream.

SY6f6RZ.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen JoJo fans come back around to appreciate part 4 in hindsight, and I'm hoping some here on GAF will too. People dislike it at first because it doesn't follow the same formula and stakes as Parts 3 and 5, but I look at it like the season that's most like a sort of Persona game.
If I could give you a time machine to go back to 2012 I would. The pre-anime Western Jojo fanbase when concentrated were Part IV shills to the MAX. lol. Persona 4 definitely ripped off Diamond is Unbreakable.

I don't like the lack of direction and the SoL elements, not that they were bad. Araki definitely had no direction after Stardust Crusaders.

I don't even like Parts I-III that much either and while I think Part 6 is shit I love Foo Fighters, Hermes and Annasui. 🤷‍♂️

If I could give you a time machine to go back to 2012 I would. The pre-anime Western Jojo fanbase when concentrated were Part IV shills to the MAX. lol. Persona 4 definitely ripped off Diamond is Unbreakable.
From my own memories of that time, JoJo fans hyped up part 4 pre-release and some of the more casual fans weren't feeling it after finally watching it. I have seen conversations change back around after part 6 released though.
I don't like the lack of direction and the SoL elements, not that they were bad.
This is the unfortunate part. Most fans of the series will constantly dislike it because it took place right after Part 3 and that's what they compare it to. It didn't match that constant adrenaline rush of 3 and 5, so it was disliked by some over time. I think in hindsight part 4 aged much better than most seasons because it wasn't trying to be 'Part 3, but this time with _____'.
I don't even like Parts I-III that much either and while I think Part 6 is shit I love Foo Fighters, Hermes and Annasui. 🤷‍♂️
It sounds like, same as many JoJo fans, you probably liked part 5 the most? That's fair.

Dutchy

This anime started out as a potential new favorite of mine. Loved diamond is unbreakable but I just cannot for the life of me, get through golden wind. It's very repetitive and formulaic imho. And the art style is a huge step down. Just flat-out boring.

Could I jump into Stone Ocean without finishing Golden Wind?

This anime started out as a potential new favorite of mine. Loved diamond is unbreakable but I just cannot for the life of me, get through golden wind. It's very repetitive and formulaic imho. And the art style is a huge step down. Just flat-out boring.

No. Never skip parts and for the record Golden Wind backgrounds are worse in the anime but in terms of actual animation Golden Wind stomps the fuck out of DiE.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I thought it dragged for a while in the middle episodes around the time of Vanilla Ice, which is where I left off years ago, but it’s worth pushing through.

Dutchy

No. Never skip parts and for the record Golden Wind backgrounds are worse in the anime but in terms of actual animation Golden Wind stomps the fuck out of DiE.
I'll give it one more go. And if that fails I will just read up on the seasons conclusion before I move on tbh.

Idk about the animation quality, it's been too long for me to properly remember. But in terms of art style specifically, DiE was incredibly memorable and artistic. Golden Wind seemed very safe in that regard.

I'll give it one more go. And if that fails I will just read up on the seasons conclusion before I move on tbh.

Idk about the animation quality, it's been too long for me to properly remember. But in terms of art style specifically, DiE was incredibly memorable and artistic. Golden Wind seemed very safe in that regard.
Interesting perspective. I thought both parts 4 and 5 were the peak in terms of artistic creativity. 4 was very experimental in a great way and 5 felt like Araki had finally let go of keeping things grounded and decided to fully commit to out-there designs and ideas, from the environments to the characters.

Dutchy

Interesting perspective. I thought both parts 4 and 5 were the peak in terms of artistic creativity. 4 was very experimental in a great way and 5 felt like Araki had finally let go of keeping things grounded and decided to fully commit to out-there designs and ideas, from the environments to the characters.
I definitely like this show for all the wrong reasons it seems lmfao. I had a couple of friends scold me for being sad about stands replacing Hamon. I grew to like stands but I was so down for the combat and such to dive deeply into physics and stuff and I still hope such a show will be created someday

YCoCg

I still like how through the series a lot of it boils down to Dio and Jospeh Joestar fucking around with as many women as possible. That was a weak part of Stone Ocean for me, the three new brothers felt very last minute and just felt like filler.

I definitely like this show for all the wrong reasons it seems lmfao. I had a couple of friends scold me for being sad about stands replacing Hamon. I grew to like stands but I was so down for the combat and such to dive deeply into physics and stuff and I still hope such a show will be created someday
You'd be surprised to know that I'm one the few who actually liked the Castlevania/Fist of the North Star mashup that was Season 1, and I was shocked to see the negative reception online for what was essentially a pretty cool season compared to many other anime out there which fail to bring out such excitement.

I too think that a hamon-based spin off in Jonathan's and Joseph's time periods would be an interesting idea.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You'd be surprised to know that I'm one the few who actually liked the Castlevania/Fist of the North Star mashup that was Season 1, and I was shocked to see the negative reception online for what was essentially a pretty cool season compared to many other anime out there which fail to bring out such excitement.

I too think that a hamon-based spin off in Jonathan's and Joseph's time periods would be an interesting idea.
I'm a fan of part 1 as well. Sure, it wears its inspirations on its sleeve, but that doesn't stop the scenario from being a lot of fun. Dio's such a completely over the top psycho to Jonathan's completely straight laced hero. Vintage storytelling.

Stands are cool and all, but when they start to get convoluted in later parts everything else has to fall by the wayside in order to explain whatever's going on. Parts 1 and 2 keep it relatively straightforward with the power system, and Part 3's stands are simple enough that a lot of it is a psychological battle or being creative with a limited toolset. Part 3 benefits greatly from stands each having their own fighting style, too. Not that keen on how that was abandoned from Part 4 onward so that all of them basically mimic Star Platinum's flurry of blows.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fucking finally someone saying as it is, i was tired of people dismissing the first 3 seasons because they are just simple shonen and not crazy like the later series...

Jonathan and jotaro are the shit.

P.s. and yes, season 4 characters are fucking annoying.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Found this re: Stone Ocean.

“Please read this after finishing Stone Ocean!

Afterword written in the last volume of the second printing of Stone Ocean
translated by twitter user @ macchalion from the Japanese volume

The truth is, I don’t really know what to say about this.
Writing this sixth part of “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure - Stone Ocean”, I started feeling a great sense of satisfaction regarding the stand’s powers. I felt like I had reached the peak of my
creativity, as an author I had drawn everything my capabilities allowed.

‘Time’ that got faster and faster for humans’ senses to perceive, getting closer to the concept of infinite – given we can’t really comprehend much of it. How could there possibly be a stand power bigger than this? “There’s nothing more incredible, my creativity has reached the highest point”, that’s what I thought.

I normally think that feelings like a sense of satisfaction or personal realization are extremely scary. Finding yourself in a situation where you think everything’s going well and you don’t need to do anything more is without doubt a terrible situation, as a person and as a mangaka, but also if we think about society and the development of science, philosophy, art and culture in general.

People act to achieve something, to obtain satisfaction above all else, but what do they do when they reach it? This contradictory feeling crept up my heart while I was coming up with an ending for ‘Stone Ocean’.

Jolyne Cujoh, our protagonist, felt a deep void in her heart too because she was missing the paternal love that brought her to befriend the shady guy that caused her to be imprisoned, after causing a car accident. But what’s important is the progress she makes because of that, because of the actions she has to do to save her father she becomes the strong woman she is. If we look at this story as a telling of the protagonist’s growth, her story had ended.

So now what should I do for the accomplishment of this manga?

In other words, I don’t have anything more to draw. It’s over.

‘Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure’ has reached its summit.

This is ‘Stone Ocean’.
The end.

But this is not right, not at all, it feels wrong. The fact that I’m feeling accomplished should not be a good thing.

It’s like a red light is in front of me, what should I do?

This is what I was thinking then, until I had an idea.

Go back to the origins! Isn’t this how Renaissance happened in Italy, going back to Greeks and Romans concepts in classic art? The French painter Gauguin also built a whole new painting going back the origins that Tahiti represented for him.

I need to strengthen further Father Pucci’s stand power. This way time, the characters, the bloodlines and the whole universe will have a turnaround and go back to their origins.

For ‘Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure’ I had to leave modern days and return to nature. I had to change Stone Ocean’s ending right before the last chapters for this reason, I brought out all the nostalgic feelings I had in my soul and this is why it came out like that. Jolyne Cujoh’s memories might be different in the reset of the universe but her love and her feelings are still there, they became something eternal and I’m sure she’ll keep growing wiser and stronger.

I want the protagonist for the seventh part to be fighting against nature in a way that teaches him how to be mature.

This were my thoughts upon writing the sixth part, maybe these things shouldn’t be said or written but this is the author’s afterword, right? It came out like this.

–Hirohiko Araki”

Top Bottom