• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure STONE OCEAN on NETFLIX December 2021

Found this re: Stone Ocean.

“Please read this after finishing Stone Ocean!

Afterword written in the last volume of the second printing of Stone Ocean
translated by twitter user @ macchalion from the Japanese volume

The truth is, I don’t really know what to say about this.
Writing this sixth part of “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure - Stone Ocean”, I started feeling a great sense of satisfaction regarding the stand’s powers. I felt like I had reached the peak of my
creativity, as an author I had drawn everything my capabilities allowed.

‘Time’ that got faster and faster for humans’ senses to perceive, getting closer to the concept of infinite – given we can’t really comprehend much of it. How could there possibly be a stand power bigger than this? “There’s nothing more incredible, my creativity has reached the highest point”, that’s what I thought.

I normally think that feelings like a sense of satisfaction or personal realization are extremely scary. Finding yourself in a situation where you think everything’s going well and you don’t need to do anything more is without doubt a terrible situation, as a person and as a mangaka, but also if we think about society and the development of science, philosophy, art and culture in general.

People act to achieve something, to obtain satisfaction above all else, but what do they do when they reach it? This contradictory feeling crept up my heart while I was coming up with an ending for ‘Stone Ocean’.

Jolyne Cujoh, our protagonist, felt a deep void in her heart too because she was missing the paternal love that brought her to befriend the shady guy that caused her to be imprisoned, after causing a car accident. But what’s important is the progress she makes because of that, because of the actions she has to do to save her father she becomes the strong woman she is. If we look at this story as a telling of the protagonist’s growth, her story had ended.

So now what should I do for the accomplishment of this manga?

In other words, I don’t have anything more to draw. It’s over.

‘Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure’ has reached its summit.

This is ‘Stone Ocean’.
The end.

But this is not right, not at all, it feels wrong. The fact that I’m feeling accomplished should not be a good thing.

It’s like a red light is in front of me, what should I do?

This is what I was thinking then, until I had an idea.

Go back to the origins! Isn’t this how Renaissance happened in Italy, going back to Greeks and Romans concepts in classic art? The French painter Gauguin also built a whole new painting going back the origins that Tahiti represented for him.

I need to strengthen further Father Pucci’s stand power. This way time, the characters, the bloodlines and the whole universe will have a turnaround and go back to their origins.

For ‘Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure’ I had to leave modern days and return to nature. I had to change Stone Ocean’s ending right before the last chapters for this reason, I brought out all the nostalgic feelings I had in my soul and this is why it came out like that. Jolyne Cujoh’s memories might be different in the reset of the universe but her love and her feelings are still there, they became something eternal and I’m sure she’ll keep growing wiser and stronger.

I want the protagonist for the seventh part to be fighting against nature in a way that teaches him how to be mature.

This were my thoughts upon writing the sixth part, maybe these things shouldn’t be said or written but this is the author’s afterword, right? It came out like this.

–Hirohiko Araki”

I heard Steell Ball Run is one of the most praised mangas so I guess he nailed it. I dont read mangas, but I'm excited for the day they announce the anime version.

I heard Steell Ball Run is one of the most praised mangas so I guess he nailed it. I dont read mangas, but I'm excited for the day they announce the anime version.
It came out in 2004 as an "original series" then switched from weekly format to monthly in a different magazine then Araki was like "PSYCHE! THIS IS PART 7 MOTHER FUCKER." The best Zeppeli and JoJo are both in Part 7. 🐻🐻

YCoCg

The issue for me is that Part 7 is brilliant, a great reboot, really tackles the bloat that crept into the previous parts.

But then part 8 and so far part 9 are convoluted messes and pretty bad, those of you saying part 4 was the worst well part 8 is a worse more confused version of that!

The new universe started with such promise but the rest has just been lacking and easily the worst stuff of all of it.

The issue for me is that Part 7 is brilliant, a great reboot, really tackles the bloat that crept into the previous parts.

But then part 8 and so far part 9 are convoluted messes and pretty bad, those of you saying part 4 was the worst well part 8 is a worse more confused version of that!

The new universe started with such promise but the rest has just been lacking and easily the worst stuff of all of it.

Thats ok, by the time they make the anime version of part 8, the world is burning.

Magister

Neo Member
Jojo is actually my favorite anime/manga series.

Part 1: Hilarious Mexican telenovella with kung fu magical breathing super powers.
Part 2: Very good and hilarious too. Joseph is one of the best Jojos. I just love how over the top the final fight is.
Part 3: Best final boss fight ever. Best classic Jojo trilogy story. Also Jotaro is the best bad boy.
Part 4: The one that influenced Persona 4. Loved the villain. Loved this Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town atmosphere. I'm one of those who loved almost everything about part 4, don't hate me for this. Josuke is also a good Jojo.
Part 5: Best fights, best animation. Worst villain and worst Jojo (the only impressive thing about him is his ruthlesness and kill count).
Part 6: Worst animation, not very impressive story telling. Jolyne is ok. The villain is ok. Overall, it is just ok.
Part 7: This manga was so good that I'm buying its physical version when it finally releases oficially. This one has the best supporting characters and story. I also loved that it was basically Jojo Western. Also, this one is when Araki finally switched switched to adult manga magazine and it shows. It is the Jojo part with most complex characters. The art is also top notch.
Part 8: I love Yosuke as a Jojo because I like blank slate type of characters. This part has a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff too. But it also has complex characters. The villain sucks, but his stand was so op. Definitely one of the strongest stands. I also love this part because it is a part of Jojo Seinen (adult magazine) trilogy.
Part 9: They took Giorno and completely tranformed him. That is who the new Jojo is. I won't spoil more. Overall, good, but still not enough chapters for me to form a final opininion.

That's all.

Last edited:

Coconutt

When part 7 anime comes out I'll be eating so good. I think part 6 has the best ending but part 7 is the better overall story/experience.

Excited Feed Me GIF by Faja Lobi

Wolzard

Neo Member
I recently saw Stone Ocean, here is my brief review of the 3 parts:

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 6: Stone Ocean Part 1

I was surprised at how this season grabbed me, I saw the 12 episodes in 2 days, it had been a while since that happened (including the fact that 4 episodes were on a Monday).

I really liked Jolyne, I hadn't seen a good female protagonist in a long time. The prison plot is very interesting, as it poses a degree of difficult environment that requires a little more strategy to deal with. The stand is very useful, although it doesn't have recovery powers like previous Jojos.

Last edited:

Wolzard

Neo Member
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 6: Stone Ocean Part 2

I liked this arc more, it revealed a lot of the villain and I liked the enemies more, although the stands are increasingly complicated to understand, they are full of rules and details that become confusing for a while.
Even though the setting was a prison, they managed to create several different environments, the swamp was a visual treat. Curious to see how it ends, despite the repeated plot, after all it will be the same villain for the 3rd time in the series

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 6: Stone Ocean Part 3

I hated part 3, after the prision the season fell apart. The villain Pucci was very repetitive, every time they invented something different that his stand did, it seemed cheating.
Now the final solution was extremely far-fetched, the author probably ran out of ideas and threw this one out of the infinite universe in order to fit anything into it. And putting Emporio to solve everything was terrible, I find him extremely annoying.

They managed to make this season the worst, overcoming the terrible parts of the desert in Stardust Crusaders and the search for Kira in Diamond is Unbreakable.

Just got around to catching up and watching this.

Overall I think things do drop off from part 4 onward. Parts 1-3 are great, especially Part 2 via David Productions and Part 3 via the original OVAs from back in the day (which are just brilliant). 1-3 together make for a classic story.

Part 4 is my least favorite, with such low stakes and annoying characters.

Part 5 is a return to form. Bruno Buccarati is a boss--such creative uses of his ability--and the story makes great use of Italy as a setting. There is too much fighting after fighting with no breathing room and too little plot for a lot of the runtime. And things really go off the rails with Requiem. But enjoyable overall.

Part 6 is all over the place. The characters are generally fun and it's consistently engaging, but the abilities flat out make no sense anymore and Araki has zero understanding of elementary school level science, which is just painful. Zero gravity does WHAT to the air? But, not a dealbreaker despite how dumb it gets at times.

It's bittersweet being done with the main Jojo storyline after all this time. But I'm glad the series is so popular now.

I think for a lot of western audience new to the whole JoJo series since the anime came out, have not really thought of how long this series had been around. this started back in 1987. that's 37 freaking years.

at the beginning, this was basically copying Fist Of The North Stars, just with vampires. Stand power was basically to distinguish it from all the other muscle man martial artist manga at the time and to prevent power creep. and even then, it was still not different enough for Araki's taste. that's where part 4 came in. the Stand powers are much less battle focus now and the stake is smaller too for the same reason. for me, that's really the best part. you have all the "save the world/humanity" stuff for so long, and you'll get worn out on it eventually. Diamond Is Unbreakable turn it around to just saving the peace in the town you live in and saving your daily life. that's a lot more relatable to many people than saving the world. slap on in my opinion one of the best villain in manga/anime, and you get something really special.

as for the science in the series, it's always BS make up stuff. the well know "that's bullshit, but I believe it." meme was there for a reason. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I won't put too much thought in it. as for part 6, I like it overall and I accept it's flaws. though I still prefer the previous parts more.

GateofD

Neo Member
I didn't like part 5 that much. I remember starting to read the manga chapters after reading the other parts and I dropped it.
watched the anime part 5 and still didn't like it much.

part 6, never read it so anime version first time seeing everything, I liked it.

know nothing about part 7+

Mossybrew

I was into JoJo for quite a few years and had been looking forward to Stone Ocean, but about halfway through I just lost interest and never went back. Maybe I finally just got JoJo'd out.

Top Bottom