• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge in Stanford swimmer rape trial: Gives weekend jail to engineer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

who beat his fiancee. This is a new case, not reported on this forum. The article mentions how this was heard on the same day as the swimmer's case.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/01/sexual-assault-case-brock-turner-judge-aaron-persky

Dis guy right here

Standing in front of Persky in the small courtroom in Palo Alto, the woman held up large photos showing her injuries. In the images, her face and shirt were covered in blood, and her body was bruised. Her ex-boyfriend, 37-year-old Ming Hsuan Chiang, sat a few feet away.

“Is this acceptable?” Jane Doe said, her voice shaking, as she described the “torture” she faced while displaying the photos to the entire courtroom. Most audience members had showed up for the sentencing of Brock Turner, a former Stanford swimmer convicted of sexual assault. Several gasped at the horrific images; some covered their eyes.

After her speech ended, Persky finalized the sentencing: Chiang, who had pleaded no contest to a domestic violence felony of battery causing “serious bodily injury”, would face so-called “weekend” jail. That meant he would spend roughly 12 weekends in county jail, and that while serving his sentence, he could continue his job as an engineer in Silicon Valley.

The sentencing of Chiang on 2 June – the same day Persky made the controversial decision to allow Turner to avoid prison – did not attract any headlines. But critics of the judge say the case bolsters their argument that privileged men who attack vulnerable women face minimal consequences in his courtroom.

“He hit me nonstop,” the victim told an officer, according to a report. “He was trying to kill me.”

She had scratches on her neck and abrasions in numerous places, photos show. When she ran back inside Chiang’s house hoping to get help from his roommate, the fiance “continued to attack her further … by pulling and throwing her”, she told police, the report says.

After talking to witnesses and reviewing the woman’s injuries, officers arrested Chiang for domestic violence, and prosecutors charged him with a felony of assaulting a “spouse” and inflicting injuries “resulting in a traumatic condition”. If convicted, he could have faced four years in prison.

The woman later told police that the October attack was not the first time Chiang had assaulted her. During an earlier altercation, he had allegedly told her “something to the effect of ‘Don’t think I won’t kill you,’” a second police report says.

A spokesman for the court declined to comment on the case, but noted in an email that sentences in plea deals are “independently agreed to by the District Attorney and defense counsel”.

“As the victim, when I get beaten, can I ask for a better offer? Can I ask for a ‘discount’ beating?” she said. “There’s no opportunity for me to negotiate.”

When she read her lengthy statement in court, the woman struggled at times, since English is not her first language. On multiple occasions, Persky asked her to speed up and finish her remarks.

Some differences: it looks like a plea deal. That speaks to the systemic nature of this.

But the judge also asked her to speed it up, an immigrant. She had quite a bit of evidence, pictures are in the story. She's suffering from PTSD. The convict is an engineer in Silicon Valley, as per the article.

Sorry ladies, just can't win.

Kieli

That fucker better lose his silicon valley job and be barred from any job moving forward.

Oh wait, as if the Silicon Valley has scruples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom