• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 24th Derecho (WI, IL, IN, OH) - Everyone okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So yeah, another pretty bad derecho has made its way across the Northeastern US today. Started in Wisconsin and caused a lot of damage as it moved through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and beyond.

Severe storms, called a derecho by meteorologists, moved through Chicago this morning. The original derecho broke up through eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia, but a dangerous line of storms is now moving towards the Outer Banks and Wilmington, N.C.
A derecho is defined as a widespread and long-lived wind storm that accompanies rapidly moving showers or thunderstorms. The derecho tore through the Chicago area, stirring winds of 60-70 mph, during the morning commute. Thousands of customers are without power across northern Illinois, according to Comed.

300x400_07241538_ayk6fnzciaaeute.jpg

"Chicago had a big storm early this morning. Fortunately no one was hurt when this tree fell," tweeted Servpro Ravenswood on Tuesday July 24, 2012.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/live-storms-with-fierce-winds-aim-for-chicago/68391

5:20 p.m. EDT Dangerous storms just moved through Greenville to Fayetteville, N.C. Damaging winds will head towards the Outer Banks and Wilmington within the next hour or two.
1:10 p.m. EDT More than 740 flights were delayed and nearly 120 flights were cancelled at Chicago O'Hare International Airport today, according to flightstats.com.
12:30 p.m. EDT Trees were downed along Eden Road near Georgetown, Ohio.
12:20 p.m. EDT 1.15 inches of rain fell in only 25 minutes in Madeira, Ohio.
11:48 a.m. EDY Traffic light signals were blown off their wires near I-75 and Liberty Way Exchange 3 miles west of Mason, Ohio.
11:40 a.m. EDT A large tree was downed, blocking a roadway in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
11:50 a.m. EDT Large tree branches have been downed in Fairfield, Ohio.
11:00 a.m. EDT A 66-mph wind gust was measured in Muncie, Ind. The AMA Aeronautical Museum sustained roof damage.
9:55 a.m. EDT Power was knocked out by storm winds at Tri-Central High School in Sharpsville, Ind. Two-foot diameter trees were downed in Sycamore, Ind.
8:33 a.m. CDT A tree and signs were downed in the city of Rochester, Ind. Power lines were downed across other parts of Fulton County as well.
8:01 a.m. CDT Several trees were downed by winds of 60 mph 4 miles east-southeast of Monon, Ind.
7:48 a.m. CDT Winds estimated at 70 mph uprooted trees and threw them onto cars near the county court house in Knox, Ind.
7:12 a.m. CDT Large tree branches came crashing down as 70 mph gusts struck Portage, Ind.
6:58 a.m. CDT Numerous trees and power were downed in Hanoverton, Ohio. Shingles were torn off and siding was ripped from a home in Lisbon, Ohio.
6:56 a.m. CDT Golf ball-sized and larger hail fell in Wellsville, Ohio.
6:44 a.m. CDT A 60-mph gust blew a pole down on Interstate 57 and 167th Street in Oak Forest, Ill.
6:35 a.m. CDT There was a 65-mph gust 3 miles southwest of Chicago Midway Airport, Ill.
6:34 a.m. CDT There have been 35 flight cancellations and 61 delays at Chicago O'Hare International Airport so far today, according to flightstats.com.
6:25 a.m. CDT 5-inch tree limbs were downed in Oak Brook, Ill.
6:25 a.m. CDT Severe storms are causing a ground stop program for incoming flights at Chicago O'Hare and Chicago Midway.
6:17 a.m. CDT A 58-mph wind gust has been measured at Chicago O'Hare International Airport.
6:05 a.m. CDT A 61-mph gust has been measured in West Chicago and another 54-mph wind gust has been measured at Aurora. Estimated winds of 60 to 70 mph downed large tree limbs and power lines on the southside of Elburn, Ill.
5:40 a.m. CDT A thunderstorm wind gust of 65 mph was measured 2 miles northeast of Woodstock, Ill.
5:35 a.m. CDT Tree and power lines were downed, blocking an instersection in De Kalb, Ill. Winds of 70 mph were estimated. Power outages occurred with the wind damage.
5:31 a.m. CDT A wind gust of 67 mph was measured in Harvard, Ill.
5:05 a.m. CDT A swing set was blown across a yard and landed upside down in South Beloit, Ill.

Any GAFfers affected by this storm? Hope everyone is okay. Personally I got lucky, as the storm went just south of my city (which still isn't done cleaning up from last month's derecho). Also hope there aren't too many more of these kinds of storms this summer. We definitely need the rain, but the damaging winds are certainly getting tiresome.

zeioIIDX

Holy crap, I had no idea this even occurred. My mom lives in the northwest suburbs of Illinois and I talked to her on the phone this morning but she didn't mention anything about any storms...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We got hit with something earlier here in the Burgh. Every morning I get up and check my radar app. These are the same things that have been causing havoc on the midatlantic this summer I believe.

Guevara

Why do all these weird weather phenomena have Spanish names?

El Nino
Derecho
even Hurricane originally comes from Spanish

Just because they were the world's great navigators at the right time?

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I was running around my house looking in every direction for a funnel cloud this morning around 6:00 a.m. It was nasty for just 15-20 min before calming down.

Stayed up to watch it. Pretty wicked winds, couple of gusts of 45+ winds and the power was gone (still hasn't returned), some trees came down but no real significant damage where I live. Storm looked terrifying as it was coming in though.

Woke up this morning and noticed it was dark to the west of us. Guess this must have been it.

And Fort Wayne got hit again? Poor folks; they got smacked on June 29, too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Some pictures from the Chicago area:

W3SCM.jpg

CV5Ms.jpg

8KI6L.jpg

iRhkv.jpg

Also there were an estimated 300,000 without power in Chicago early today, down to 80,000 by this afternoon.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
It's a shame the storm didn't wipe that hell hole of a city off the face of the earth.

Have you ever lived there? I have. It's a terrible soul crushing place.

Yeah. Fuck that place! Everyone that lives there and everything that is there should have been killed and wiped off the face of the earth because I did not enjoy the time I lived there! FUCK 'EM.

/sarcasm (just in case it isn't apparent enough)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah. Fuck that place! Everyone that lives there and everything that is there should have been killed and wiped off the face of the earth because I did not enjoy the time I lived there! FUCK 'EM.

/sarcasm (just in case it isn't apparent enough)

Yes, I clearly wasn't being the least bit sarcastic either. Because wishing death on an entire population is a normal thing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
those pictures are crazy. It takes a hell of a wind gust to tear a trees roots right out of the damn ground

The derecho last month ripped a much larger tree than that straight out of the ground five houses down from my apartment. First time I'd ever seen something like that. Nature really is scary/wonderful.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Yes, I clearly wasn't being the least bit sarcastic either. Because wishing death on an entire population is a normal thing.

Yeah, you're right. Making a sarcastic comment wishing such facetious death on many people in an area struck by a very powerful storm that may have caused casualties is certainly and most definitely excusable and should not be subject to any criticism or scrutiny. My bad!

siddx

Yeah, you're right. Making a sarcastic comment wishing such facetious death on many people in an area struck by a very powerful storm that may have caused casualties is certainly and most definitely excusable and should not be subject to any criticism or scrutiny. My bad!

Oh boo hoo. Using sarcastic exaggeration to describe ones opinion of a person, place, or thing is common, especially on gaf. I'll make sure to hug kittens and chase rainbows in every post from now on though, in case I offend your fragile sensibilities.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Oh boo hoo. Using sarcastic exaggeration to describe ones opinion of a person, place, or thing is common, especially on gaf. I'll make sure to hug kittens and chase rainbows in every post from now on though, in case I offend your fragile sensibilities.

I'm allergic to cats, so if you're worried about me you'd be better off wishing some great storm would wipe them all off the earth or chuckin' them off some cliff I guess.

siddx

I'm allergic to cats, so if you're worried about me you'd be better off wishing some great storm would wipe them all off the earth or chuckin' them off some cliff I guess.

Then may a million cats get swept into a tornado tearing them into little bits of fur and claws and deposit their remains into your home while you sleep.
- "ancient celtic curse"

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
First time I have ever heard the phrase "Derecho"

32 years living, 26 in USA, first time reading that, crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom