• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

just got Visual Basic.NET (what should I do?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Microsoft just mailed me visual basic.NET and Visual Studio for free.

Though I know the MS.Basic language I have no Idea of what to do with this.

How powerful is Direct X in Visual Basic?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
The Managed DirectX interface with VB.net is really cool so I'd play with that a bit. Though I much prefer C# but thats a topic for another time.

Phoenix

I bet they also told you that Internet Explorer is the best web browser, that Linux is a better server environment is false, that .Net is taking the world by storm, and that open source is for losers.

:D

Phoenix said:
I bet they also told you that Internet Explorer is the best web browser, that Linux is a better server environment is false, that .Net is taking the world by storm, and that open source is for losers.

:D

Well, the part about IE and Open Source is true...

Tenguman

Actually Visual Basic .NET is not that bad. Visual Basic .NET is now full-on OOP (object oriented). it resembles java more than it does visual basic now ;)

it's not an end-all-be-all language. It's slow and a resource hog. The best use for VB is making quick and dirty utilities programs, or for quick construction of program-prototypes that will be converted to C++ later.

For example, I've been working on this program and needed a working prototype ASAP. I got it done in a week, while with C++ it would have taken a month. It's slow and takes up 3x as much ram/cpu but it gets the job done for the time being ;) At least until I get it on C++

If you're looking for a quick lesson on VB.NET, I suggest picking up a book about it.

Phoenix

Tenguman said:
Actually Visual Basic .NET is not that bad. Visual Basic .NET is now full-on OOP (object oriented). it resembles java more than it does visual basic now ;)

it's not an end-all-be-all language. It's slow and a resource hog. The best use for VB is making quick and dirty utilities programs, or for quick construction of program-prototypes that will be converted to C++ later.

For example, I've been working on this program and needed a working prototype ASAP. I got it done in a week, while with C++ it would have taken a month. It's slow and takes up 3x as much ram/cpu but it gets the job done for the time being ;) At least until I get it on C++

If you're looking for a quick lesson on VB.NET, I suggest picking up a book about it.

In the age of GUI builders, that's not really an advantage any more. There are plenty of drag and drop glue-kits out there for putting together a quick and dirty prototype. I do it in Java all the time with IntelliJ IDEA. Hell Sun's Java Studio Creator even lets you do that we entire web applications - and does it surprisingly well for a $99 app.

VB and yes even VB.net need to be put out to pasture... with a bullet.

Phoenix

God's Hand said:
Well, the part about IE and Open Source is true...

Open Source is probably the most useful thing to happen to software in a generation. OSS has helped more developers do more things quickly in the past few months than ever before. How you could come up with that assertion about open source is beyond me.

The IE thing is debatable. I stopped using it over a year ago and haven't looked back since.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
He probably took that survey they offered a few months ago for a free copy of VB.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom