• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had this vision about a possible DS design issue

shuri

Banned
flander1.gif

What about left paws? I mean, i'm left handled, but I use my mouse perfectly from the right, but holding a pen is a whole different issue. This is going to affect my gameplay big time! I'm gonna be holding the DS with my left hand, and using my left thumb, use the control pad.

But what about my right hand? I wont be able to move/aim efficiently with a stylus, its gonna be hell for fps games!?

THE LEFT HANDED ARMY DECLARES JIHAD ON NINTENDO!

B'z-chan

Banned
I too just noticed this problem i'm a left paw also and i can see i'm not gonna like the ds if they dont think this out for us Left Paws.

Hooker

It has 4 buttons, in the shape of a normal d-pad

They will probably do the same as with the Virtual Boy, use those buttons as a d-pad instead and hold the stylus in your left hand

Nintendo commented on this issue by saying that the DS will work the same for left-handed people, since it's button layout is symmertical... You can use the four face buttons as directional buttons and use the right shoulder button while using the stylus with your left hand. I expect all or most games to have a Left/Right hand orientation option.

In other words, the buttons on the right half of the unit mirror the ones on the left, there's absolutely no need to worry.

maharg

idspispopd
Even more likely they'll just treat them as mirrored buttons. No need to ask the user, since in a stylus game you won't ever be using both sets of buttons.

No worries. Metroid Hunters was used by lefties and they just used the buttons the same way you would use the d-pad. Problem solved, case closed.

Deku Tree

Is anyone worried that using a stylus and the d-pad (or the four buttons on the other side) at the same time will be in itself alkward or difficult?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Deku Tree said:
Is anyone worried that using a stylus and the d-pad (or the four buttons on the other side) at the same time will be in itself alkward or difficult?

It is. Try playing Doom on a P900. Doesn't work. One thing people didn't experience at E3 was actually having to support the weight of the unit while playing (they were pod-mounted).

To be honest, I think the Prime Hunters demo was merely a 'here's what you can do' demonstration. I doubt they'll make that a mandatory control scheme.

Top Bottom