• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just wondering... question about smoking and fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs7k

Is it possible to be a smoker and still continue to do well in sports (like not run out of breath so quickly)? I don't have a desire to quit, so let's leave quitting out of the option for now. My question is this, with a regular working out schedule, including cardio training, is it possible to get to an acceptable level of fitness, comparable or better than when I was a non-smoker? I've never been that fit, I'm just your average joe when it comes to sports.

Btw, no haters please.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Well I'm just going to state the obvious

If it is possible, the smoking certainly isn't going to help.

How much do you smoke, I guess is the big question?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The answer is clearly "Yes but you will be an amount less fit than if you didn't smoke"

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
rs7k said:
Anywhere from 4-7 a day.

Well it's certainly better than a pack a day.

God, way too many people I know smoke a pack a day. They look and smell disgusting because of it.

miyuru

Badabing said:
Well it's certainly better than a pack a day.

God, way too many people I know smoke a pack a day. They look and smell disgusting because of it.

Haha that's no excuse, I'm not hating on you, I'm being serious :p

way more

I think it's possible but much more difficult, and it may be unhealthy. The day after I smoke, (I usually smoke at night) I notice a difference in preformance. One of my army buddies gave up smoking because he said it was a drag on his running.

miyuru

The longer you've been smoking, it's effects will show more. So don't think you're invincible if you've recently begun smoking and are working out, etc..

You cant condition your lungs to run as good as they used to while fundamentally 'broken'.

Its like trying to condition a man with two festering gunshot wounds to run as fast as he used to. Its always going to hurt and will possibly make things worse if you press the issue.

MonkeyBoy

hey i have an idea..lets ask Mr. Black Lung

black_lung_cr.jpg

honestly though if you really want to know if you can be active and smoke, by those little coffee straws and run a mile only breathing through it.

White Man

Yeah, it's possible. I've ramped down since moving, but I used to run on average 6 miles a day, in addition to stuff like biking and rock climbing. Just don't smoke directly before you exercise, because that really flattens my capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom