• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League: The First Mission', a different DCAU Justice League

Youtube link.

On the "Justice League: The Complete First Season DVD" release, an extra shows the original network pitch for the Justice League series. "Justice League: The First Mission: Watch this exciting "Never Seen Before" promo which helped Justice League leap into action." This footage showed Robin, Impulse and a girl Cyborg as part of a Justice League team, which also included Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, J'onn J'onzz, and Hawkgirl.

Found it in this article: Comic Legends: What Was the Surprising ORIGINAL Justice League Lineup?

Very soon into the development process, though, Timm realized that he needed more diversity. Plus, he did not want the Justice League show to really be seen as a continuation of Super Friends, so he replaced Aquaman with Hawkgirl to give the team another female member and he replaced Hal Jordan with John Stewart to give the team an African-American member.

This became the classic lineup for the Justice League, along with Flash, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman.

However, before they had even worked out the designs for all of the characters (John Stewart wore a mask, for instance), Timm had animator James Tucker put together a quick pitch video for Warner Bros. At this point, they had decided to change the lineup once again! They knew that KidsWB were interested in younger heroes, so he had Robin, Impulse (who would be replacing the Flash) and a new teen female version of Cyborg join the roster, giving the team a nice mix of adults and teens!

As it turned out, though, WB approved the Justice League pitch over the phone, so Timm never had to use the Tucker-created pitch video, and thus they did not have to commit to using the young heroes, so they went back to an adults-only League (that sounds dirty).

Was really surprised to see Hal etc.

bman94

I'm glad they went with what they did. I never liked Timm's children designs, they always looked awkward. His art style fits adults way more.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Coincidentally I've been watching Justice League and JLU all week. Putting in Hawkgirl and John has gotta rank up there with some of the best calls of all time.

SOLDIER

The definitive DC canon.

Is it true that the DC execs constantly shit on Timm and his animated team out of spite? I've heard all sorts of horror stories, including how they retroactively fuck with their animated franchises (Batman Beyond, JL, etc) through the comic reinterpretations.

It's like Konami levels of pettiness: DC legit angry that all the fans flock to the animated division.

They weren't kidding about the Batman Beyond reusing, hehe.

The female Cyborg looks cool. The only black female superhero in the cartoon was Vixen, right?

Top Bottom