• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shohei Ohtani becomes the first 50-50 player in the history of Major League Baseball

Thaedolus

I played from 1990 to 2000 and know Mark very well once he become a Cardinal

That As team was great though
STORY TIME THREEEEEAAADDD. My first MLB game as a kid in Oakland Mark hit a bomb that landed in the old style coliseum bleachers like four feet from me. My brother got him to autograph two different balls on different occasions. My little league baseball card had him as my favorite player every year. We could walk to BART and take it to the A’s games growing up…

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
STORY TIME THREEEEEAAADDD. My first MLB game as a kid in Oakland Mark hit a bomb that landed in the old style coliseum bleachers like four feet from me. My brother got him to autograph two different balls on different occasions. My little league baseball card had him as my favorite player every year. We could walk to BART and take it to the A’s games growing up…
That 1998 season of his and Sosas and Griffey Jr, many forget the numbers he was putting up early in the season, was insane to watch

I have 5 gallon buckets of baseballs stored especially from that 1990 World Series as I stole so many balls used even in BP and sadly no really way of getting them authenticated other than just my word

One of my more cherished balls was striking out Mark and getting him to sign it.

I display approx 100 balls in cases on my wall as a time line of my career and that ball is up there.

I could talk baseball forever literally but won’t be able to reply again until Monday as getting up early to fly to Indy tomorrow to hang out with a bunch of random old team mates and catch the Colts game Sunday.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't know why this man still insists on being a pitcher, he's already a HOF slugger

Maybe he really loves Tommy John surgeries and wants lots of them, if so then keep pitching I guess
The reason: "The largest contract in Major League Baseball (MLB) history is Shohei Ohtani's 10-year, $700 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The contract includes unprecedented deferrals and is considered one of the largest contracts ever given to an athlete in any sport."

Thaedolus

That 1998 season of his and Sosas and Griffey Jr, many forget the numbers he was putting up early in the season, was insane to watch

I have 5 gallon buckets of baseballs stored especially from that 1990 World Series as I stole so many balls used even in BP and sadly no really way of getting them authenticated other than just my word

One of my more cherished balls was striking out Mark and getting him to sign it.

I display approx 100 balls in cases on my wall as a time line of my career and that ball is up there.

I could talk baseball forever literally but won’t be able to reply again until Monday as getting up early to fly to Indy tomorrow to hang out with a bunch of random old team mates and catch the Colts game Sunday.
I babysat Tarik Skubal when he was a kid. His grandparents lived down the street from us and his family lived next door. His fucking dog bit me once

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Look how fuckin high that pitch he smacked the shit out of was. The ability to do that is just like…mind boggling if you ever swung a bat

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Will you send me a baseball with your signature.

GateofD

Neo Member
don't know much about baseball, but I seen a few interviews with the guy. Seems like a great fellow and really keeps the team morale up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Since you did baseball, I have questions and would like your opinion.

Unlike other pro sports with lots of playoff rounds and best of 7's, or NFL with many rounds too, why was baseball so slow to this?

It took forever to expand playoffs to be more rounds and teams like other sports. You'd think fans want it (I think) and players/owners would love it as it draws more fans amped up for playoffs. Makes more money.

I started following Jays in the 80s when they got good, so for me its fine as Jays were always contending for pennants and then won. But for all those avg teams or worse with no chance, by the 50 game mark a fan from a shitty team would probably tune out as their season is done. At least with more playoff teams they might edge out a WC spot like now if they go on a run. Would keep fans in avg team cities more interested.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Unlike other pro sports with lots of playoff rounds and best of 7's, or NFL with many rounds too, why was baseball so slow to this?

It took forever to expand playoffs to be more rounds and teams like other sports. You'd think fans want it (I think) and players/owners would love it as it draws more fans amped up for playoffs. Makes more money.

I started following Jays in the 80s when they got good, so for me its fine as Jays were always contending for pennants and then won. But for all those avg teams or worse with no chance, by the 50 game mark a fan from a shitty team would probably tune out as their season is done. At least with more playoff teams they might edge out a WC spot like now if they go on a run. Would keep fans in avg team cities more interested.
At least in the nba players talk shit about the play in games. I hate it on both nba and mlb. Seems like a money grab. The seasons are so long that just let tie breakers determine playoffs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Tradition

MLB has always been super slow to try new things because they hate breaking tradition

Not only does it keep fans interested it also keeps players engaged longer

I have been on a few of those bad teams that even starting the season we knew we didn’t have a chance and by that 50 game mark even some were ready for the season to end

Tams

I don't know much about baseball, but I wish football here in England had the same reverence for its statistics. They reset everything in 1991, and a century of all-time great players was effectively swept under the carpet.

Well, it's because stats are the only vaguely interesting thing about baseball.

Scared Running Man GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At least in the nba players talk shit about the play in games. I hate it on both nba and mlb. Seems like a money grab. The seasons are so long that just let tie breakers determine playoffs.
Ya. Those play in games are stupid. Also, that in season mini tournament. I dont think anyone even follows the schedule. I remember some players even laughed at it and didn't even follow it when reporters asked them in the locker room about it. lol

Thaedolus

In other news, I wasn’t ready for how profoundly sad today would make me feel now that the A’s have played their final game in Oakland. I have so many goddamn memories in that stadium. I’ve lost my voice from shouting that chant I don’t know how many times. I was at the 20th game in a row memorialized in Moneyball. I’ve been to playoff games and shouted with joy and slammed my hand on those green plastic seats in frustration. It feels like a billionaire cunt has ripped out a piece of my heart.

Aj8ZmoV.jpeg

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
In other news, I wasn’t ready for how profoundly sad today would make me feel now that the A’s have played their final game in Oakland. I have so many goddamn memories in that stadium. I’ve lost my voice from shouting that chant I don’t know how many times. I was at the 20th game in a row memorialized in Moneyball. I’ve been to playoff games and shouted with joy and slammed my hand on those green plastic seats in frustration. It feels like a billionaire cunt has ripped out a piece of my heart.
Where are they off to? Is it just a stadium move or one of those name change and another city deals?

Thaedolus

Where are they off to? Is it just a stadium move or one of those name change and another city deals?
Supposedly they’ll be in Vegas but that whole deal is clusterfuck for numerous reasons, in the interim they’ll be playing in their old AAA team’s park in Sacramento….fucking lol, just an absolute clown show of an ownership group

Hookshot

Gold Member
Even Sacramento seems too far for a home game, Vegas is a different state. Only 1 football team has done that here. South London's Wimbledon got moved miles north to Milton Keynes because someone decided to take a team rather than build one up there and people still despise them for it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Judge doing insane things. 5 straight games with a homerun. Now 58 with three games to go. He might hit 60 again.

I saw a crazy stat the other day. cant find the tweet. But his offensive war this year is 11.6. Only Bonds in those steroids years and Babe Ruth have posted better offensive WARs. If you take out Bonds, you have 3 years of babe ruth in the 1920s posting a better WAR and then its judge this year. We are seeing quite possibly the best offensive season in the last 100 years. No offense to Othani who will go down as the best overall player of all time, but judge is simply the better hitter this year and probably the best since Babe Ruth.

GYaf9DQboAQj6EI

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Judge doing insane things. 5 straight games with a homerun. Now 58 with three games to go. He might hit 60 again.

I saw a crazy stat the other day. cant find the tweet. But his offensive war this year is 11.6. Only Bonds in those steroids years and Babe Ruth have posted better offensive WARs. If you take out Bonds, you have 3 years of babe ruth in the 1920s posting a better WAR and then its judge this year. We are seeing quite possibly the best offensive season in the last 100 years. No offense to Othani who will go down as the best overall player of all time, but judge is simply the better hitter this year and probably the best since Babe Ruth.

GYaf9DQboAQj6EI
He;s got a little more than 300 HR at age 32. Who knows where he'll finish.

But a shame he's been injury prone and his career didnt start till he was 25 with his huge year (the year before be barely played). If he started earlier and was a bit more healthy he'd have 500 by now.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
He;s got a little more than 300 HR at age 32. Who knows where he'll finish.

But a shame he's been injury prone and his career didnt start till he was 25 with his huge year (the year before be barely played). If he started earlier and was a bit more healthy he'd have 500 by now.

Had no idea he was already 32. He’ll definitely crack 500 eventually. His plate discipline has only improved and he’s clearly in his prime.

Top Bottom