• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Trudeau to Meet With Trump on Monday in Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump will meet in person for the first time on Monday in Washington, D.C., the Prime Minister's Office has confirmed.

In a statement emailed to the Parliamentary Press Gallery, Kate Purchase, Trudeau's director of communications, said that the leaders "look forward to discussing ‎the unique relationship between Canada and the United States of America and how we can continue to work hard for middle class Canadians and Americans, together."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-meet-monday-washington-1.3973964

jtb

Banned
u mispelled drumpf

in all seriousness, the tweets that are bound to come out of this... I can only imagine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow, I missed a lot of Doctor Who.

tJFI0oI.gif

Socreges

Banned
I have a feeling this is going to be bad either way. If he stands up to Trump, Trump will get virulent and make threats, etc etc. If he doesn't stand up to Trump, he will get flogged by Canadians and politicians.

jelly

I hope he embarrasses Trump if he tries that arm yank.

We are building a wall and the US is paying for it :p

Is there anything Canada loses by standing up to America? People might say trade, but if Canada is more likely to open itself up to visa applicants and have more stable policies, what is stopping Canada from stealing US business?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Either he's gonna stand up to him or he's gonna take it like a bitch.

Either way, I'm scared of the outcome.

Moppeh

Banned
Either he's gonna stand up to him or he's gonna take it like a bitch.

Either way, I'm scared of the outcome.

I'm leaning more towards taking it like a bitch.

I don't hate Justin or anything but I really can't see him being the more assertive person between the two of them.

darscot

It will be very interesting to see these two people together. It's like a social experiment, one being a good looking charismatic guy the other not so much. They are like polar opposites on both message and delivery.

Trudeau just needs to have the upper hand and wield it like a stone cold mofo.

But I know very little about Canada's upper hands. Oil pipelines? Some sort of trade benefits that Canada doesn't especially rely on but USA does? Trudeau threatening to go on a series of virulent anti-Trump tirades and corraling together an anti-Trump coalition of nations?

CazTGG

I'm sure it will be an interesting, eye opening experience

Donald will learn that Pierre Trudeau, much like Frederick Douglas, has been dead for some time:
"Wow, you're a lot younger-looking in person, Pierre. Perfect hair!"
"I'm his son, he passed away 17 years ago..."
"So you're saying Eric has a shot, a tremendous shot, at becoming president?"
"I'm stuck with this guy for how long?"

But I know very little about Canada's upper hands. Oil pipelines? Some sort of trade benefits that Canada doesn't especially rely on but USA does? Trudeau threatening to go on a series of virulent anti-Drumpf tirades and corraling together an anti-Drumpf coalition of nations?

Oil, mostly. It was suggested in another thread that a tariff on oil (which is being considered) could severely damage the U.S. economy. Considering Canada is their largest overall trading partner and their largest exporter of oil, it shouldn't be understated how reliant the U.S. is on Canada for certain natural resources. It's also worth noting that Trump does seem to like Canada and has businesses across the country so I doubt he'll do anything drastic considering his re-negotiating would be the dozenth time they've tried and failed to do so. Couple that with Chrystia Freeland's tough talk on trade and experience with CETA and you can see how Canada's not as helpless as people would like to believe in this economic relationship.

ezekial45

Banned
I feel like this is going to be an important moment for the upcoming election in Canada. I really hope Trudeau comes out on top from this one, because O'Leary will take advantage of any signs of weakness from this for his campaign.

Please Canada GAF, stay vigilant and on top of things for this upcoming election.

But I know very little about Canada's upper hands. Oil pipelines? Some sort of trade benefits that Canada doesn't especially rely on but USA does? Trudeau threatening to go on a series of virulent anti-Trump tirades and corraling together an anti-Trump coalition of nations?

On the one hand, 75% of Canada's trade is with the US.

On the other hand, Canada is the #1 trade partner for 35 states, and in the top three for another 13. So both of them have an incentive to keep things light and not start a trade war, since it would destroy both countries.

Governors can apply pressure on the President about his protectionism nonsense,

pissing off all northern border states and then some, isn't in the President's interests

This should be fun. Look forward to all the salty CPC fanboys and girls complaining on social media regardless of what comes out of this meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom