• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West's 'Graduation' is 10 Years Old

Love the dangerous necessity that people seek
Without regard to where they are
The human heart is curious
Above all things, love, the lights are low, your eyes are bright
The music plays, it's sweet delight
It's out of sight, I'm feeling right
Your dress is tight
Oh how, I want you right now

"Drunk And Hot Girls" gave us this magical Mos Def verse.

Moonkid

Not exactly up there in ye's discography but it's still an album I can chuck on whenever and vibe with, more than what I can say for TLOP.

iavi

Gotta be of Ye's most divisive albums. Top 3 tho, after CD and LR

And for me, personally, probably one that brings me back most. I wonder was pretty much my theme song in my late teens early/twenties

I just did a go through of his entire discography and even though the consensus is, I believe, that Graduation is his worst. It's still a really good album. The first six tracks plus Flashing Lights are some of
Ye's best moments.

College Dropout is Kanyes worst album.

Not by a long shot.

For me, College Dropout actually came out when I was in my senior year of college funny enough and I had picked it up in between classes. 'Through The Wire' was a track that made me not only take notice of Kanye but definitely struck a cord with me. Once I finally had the album and listened through everything, even the skits rang true as while I was excited to graduate college, the humorous (yet somber) nature of what the skits were pointing out definitely made me weary of what was to come. Easily my one of my top Kanye albums as it really is a very sentimental album for me.

On-topic, I enjoyed Graduation and some of the catharsis I felt while listening to a couple of tracks but overall, it was a bit uneven for me. Also say what you will about 'Flashing Lights', but I still really love the track and the music video is one of the reasons as to why it tends to stick in my head.

I wish that Barry Bonds and Drunk and Hot Girls were cut down to interludes. I really dig them when they start, especially that Barry Bonds bassline, but they wear out their welcome after a minute or so.

I guess I need to get on this John Legend version of Homecoming.

LionPride

Banned
I was 8 when this album came out, which makes sense when I realize that Stronger was the first song I knew was Kanye. I had heard Jesus Walks before but that was it

I was 8 when this album came out, which makes sense when I realize that Stronger was the first song I knew was Kanye. I had heatd Jesus Walks before but that was it

Man, I was starting my sophomore year of high school when this dropped. It was a hell of a moment for the culture.

megalowho

This is a good album to work out to. Skip tracks 7 + 8 and could take or leave some near the end, but I still fuck with it. The synth work throughout gives it its character.

MrS

Banned
Top 3 Ye album. I enjoy it more than MBDTF. Drunk and Hot Girls and Can't Tell Me Nothing are 2 of my favourite Ye songs.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I love Drunk and Hot Girls. I'll never get the hate for that track. "LahaaAhah that's how the fuck you sound!"

Oozer3993

Good album. Stronger is incredible, Flashing Lights is damn near perfect, and Good Life is a God tier party song. Also, I still hate everyone at the UK listening party.

Kanye had a listening party in the UK for Graduation about a month before it came out. He had been teasing Good Life in interviews and even played a snippet of it at a concert. The internet had started to go nutty with anticipation. At the listening party, Ye told the crowd he'd "leak" the song they liked the best. They chose Barry Bonds. I will never forgive anybody at that party.

Reminder: Timbaland redid the drums for Stronger and Good Life right before the album was released.

Owari

Smh at those saying it's his worst album when his worst is Cruel Summer it's not even close. Second worse is Pablo, but none of his albums are less than 9/10

Smh

I totally enjoy the shit out of Good Life

And Stronger

Wait didn't Stronger have like 80 different versions and Kanye have like 8 different audio engineers work on the track and loads of producers etc? Or am I dreaming??

Also
808's is my favourite Kanye album...

Catvoca

Banned
Smh at those saying it's his worst album when his worst is Cruel Summer it's not even close. Second worse is Pablo, but none of his albums are less than 9/10

Smh

Most people don't count Cruel Summer when ranking Kanye albums since it isn't a solo album.

Though it has some clunkers, his 4th best behind LR, TCD and of course the best album of the decade, MBDTF. Flashing Lights is a top 5 Kanye track.

Definitely my favorite and most listened to Ye album. This album dropped when I finally had a job, hungout all the time with the homies, it was THE album for that time. Love it.

Bruh.... this was the anthem on my last Japan trip. I was out there alone and suddenly I met up with the homies on some straight international random shit. Unbelievable album.

#misstheoldkanye

Kanye's top 3 Everything after is trash..

FTFY

Neophant

I remember seeing Kanye on tour with this album. Went with my sister, the show was one of the highlights of my time going to live music performances...even when he was trying to dance. I still joke that everytime we talk about Kanye, he's always "the brightest star in the universe" because that was one of the skits during the show.

Big fan of the album, but I can see it as being Kanye's most polarizing work along with Yeezus and Pablo.

Top Bottom