• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Urban becomes Doom marine in motion picture

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/15/news_6107445.html

urban_screen001.jpg

Several weeks ago, Variety reported that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was in negotiations to star in Universal Pictures' upcoming adaptation of Doom. Today, it seems that the lead role has been given to an actor with less physical and more dramatic muscle. The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Karl Urban has been cast as the film's hero.

Hailing from New Zealand, Urban first drew public attention as the handsome-but-cruel war god Ares on Xena: Warrior Princess. Since then, though, he has found far greater renown as the Rohan prince Eomer in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Most recently, he appeared in the ill-fated The Chronicles of Riddick and the well-received The Bourne Supremacy.

Interestingly, the Reporter article spilled some plot details about the Doom film. Instead of a nameless space marine taking on the legions of hell solo, "Urban will play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team." The Reporter also said "when dealing with alien demons," Urban's character "is forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths." The article did not mention the film's screenwriter, although Cinescape's ever-useful Development Heck feature credits one Dave Callaham with the script.

Directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak, Doom is currently in pre-production and is tentatively set for a 2006 release date.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wario64 said:
"Urban will play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team."

"when dealing with alien demons," Urban's character "is forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths."

wariodog.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ridiculous. Not the casting - he's got chops - but shoehorning this emotional parental shit in there is typical Hollywood idiocy. Asshats.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
superb choice. That dude can be intense and give this movie the serious edge it needs to be better than the crap that most movies like these turn out to be.

hobbitx

Blech, I would have liked the Doom movie to come out fun and kinda campy with the Rock in it. Plus the Rock has that same eyebrow thing just like the Doom guy, but whatever.

Neo_ZX

My God. Must there always be some cheap sob story for the hero. Who thinks up this garbage?

Why don't they just let the Resident Evil idiot direct this?

I can already see it... Evil corporation leaves son to cry over dead parent's bodies. Transition to present day where he's an elite soldier, cold yet caring. Eventually finds out the truth and blows up the demons and the evil CEO at the same time.

GODDAMN HOLLYWOOD

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Neo_ZX said:
I can already see it... Evil corporation leaves son to cry over dead parent's bodies. Transition to present day where he's an elite soldier, cold yet caring. Eventually finds out the truth and blows up the demons and the evil CEO at the same time.
ooooh sounds good

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
For once I agree with MrSingh.
And if they casted Bruce Cambpell for the role based on the Comic, it would rule even more :D

Neo_ZX

I wonder if it will end with him having the choice of whether or not to kill the bad guy and then he lets him live. Then the bad guy goes for one last shot at killing him and he unwittingly kills himself. That'd be original and fresh.

Bog

Junior Ace
The Xena geek in me has to correct the article. The guy who played Ares died in 2002. This guy played Caesar.

Flynn

bishoptl said:
Ridiculous. Not the casting - he's got chops - but shoehorning this emotional parental shit in there is typical Hollywood idiocy. Asshats.

Yeah, Doom's deep story will be able to stand on its own.

pestul

I loved his cold edge in The Bourne Supremacy.. good choice, probably not a good career move on his part though.

Top Bottom