• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy confirmed for September

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ohh, even closer!! This is good too, since EGM said November, and lots of games are coming in November. My wallet feels good

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Exclusive Annoucements? WTF?

oh... and
I LOVE THIS NEWS

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
But it hasn't been official till now, and I don't remember anything saying a Sept. release or budget price

Dragona Akehi said:
They are SO going to rape the soundtrack. :\

I dunno. They seem to be going with the "embrace the import-oddity weirdness" plan, so far. If they're actually releasing it under the name "Katamari Damacy," I'd say pretty much anything is possible.

In short, I want to believe!

FortNinety said:
I just want to know if the music will be at all touched.

As long as it isn't licensed then it should be fine. I'm pretty sure everything was composed for the game so it shouldn't change.

SolidSnakex said:
As long as it isn't licensed then it should be fine. I'm pretty sure everything was composed for the game so it shouldn't change.

I think he was probably talking about the Japanese vocals in almost every song.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I actually believe that the soundtrack won't be touched. Why would it be, and what music can possibily replace the soundtrack? I'm pretty sure this is gonna be a niche title and will only target a small group of gamers anyway.

bobbyconover said:
I think he was probably talking about the Japanese vocals in almost every song.

I doubt they'd change it. Would they really go through all that for a game that'll likely be budget priced? I think they'll leave everything alone.

shibbs said:

Quit whining and learn to appreciate your Beatmania, Bishibashi Special, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mr Driller 2, Poy Poy 2, Doshin the Giant, and Ico Limited edition, AKA the nicest packaging of any game.. ever!!

Ill Saint

bobbyconover said:
Quit whining and learn to appreciate your Beatmania, Bishibashi Special, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mr Driller 2, Poy Poy 2, Doshin the Giant, and Ico Limited edition, AKA the nicest packaging of any game.. ever!!

If those games listed above are out in PAL territories, they must have come in under some drastically different names... care to point them out for us common folk?
I think some nice packaging every now and then is to be expected when you're saddled with months (or years) of waiting, crap conversions, or general no-shows (Xenosaga, Suikoden 3 etc.)

Ill Saint said:
If those games listed above are out in PAL territories, they must have come in under some drastically different names... care to point them out for us common folk?

Nope, those are all the actual Euro release names. Honest!

But yeah, you're right - Euros probably get screwed harder than anyone. I'm just bitter that quite a few of my personal favorites (especially Poy Poy 2.. that one really stung) made it there and not to the US.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
YAY!

You have no idea how hard it was to stop myself from buying a Japanese PS2 and Katamari Damacy since I've been here with the uncertainty of its US release. Finally my already empty wallet can breath a deep sigh of relief.

And I don't expect the music to change. They said the whole localization was done already for the E3 version, and I don't remember anybody saying anything about soundtrack changes (though I imagine it might be difficult to hear on the E3 show floor). Besides, they are almost certain to treat this as a budget title, and changing virtually the ENTIRE soundtrack in order to eliminate Japanese vocals is just way more work than it is worth.

Ill Saint

bobbyconover said:
Nope, those are all the actual Euro release names. Honest!
Seriously? I've never once come across any of those names... I usually scour websites for the more obscure Japenese games that might come to PAL land, but none of those are familiar. But if I've somehow missed them, I'd sure as hell like to track them down!

MetatronM said:
They said the whole localization was done already for the E3 version, and I don't remember anybody saying anything about soundtrack changes (though I imagine it might be difficult to hear on the E3 show floor).

Huh? Yes, the version on the show floor had the original music, but I think the "done already" bit is a stretch. I talked to the Namco rep at some length about the game, and he gave me a look like I was completely insane when I suggested that they leave the music alone, saying that as long as it's in Japanese something will likely have to be done. I'm not saying that'll necessarily happen in the final version, but he certainly seemed to think it would.

Also, all this budget-game talk is kinda getting out of hand. Has anyone actually said anything to suggest that it'll happen? I could see $40, sure, just like the Japanese release, but assuming $20ish is a bit premature.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Let's look at this from another perspective...

Creating music requires time and money to be invested. Is the game even important enough for Namco to consider re-creating all of the tunes? It seems to me that they are fully aware of how crazy this title is (as we can see by the lack of a name change) and would probably keep the original soundtrack.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bobbyconover said:
Huh? Yes, the version on the show floor had the original music, but I think the "done already" bit is a stretch. I talked to the Namco rep at some length about the game, and he gave me a look like I was completely insane when I suggested that they leave the music alone, saying that as long as it's in Japanese something will likely have to be done. I'm not saying that'll necessarily happen in the final version, but he certainly seemed to think it would.

Also, all this budget-game talk is kinda getting out of hand. Has anyone actually said anything to suggest that it'll happen? I could see $40, sure, just like the Japanese release, but assuming $20ish is a bit premature.
Well, that's what I seem to remember people saying back when the game showed up at E3. I think it was 1up.com that said the localization was complete, but I might be wrong.

dark10x said:
Creating music requires time and money to be invested. Is the game even important enough for Namco to consider re-creating all of the tunes? It seems to me that they are fully aware of how crazy this title is (as we can see by the lack of a name change) and would probably keep the original soundtrack.
See, the pessimist in me thinks "Creating music requires time and money to be invested. Is the game even important enough for Namco to consider re-creating all of the tunes? They'll just replace them all with total generic crap."

Kobun Heat said:
See, the pessimist in me thinks "Creating music requires time and money to be invested. Is the game even important enough for Namco to consider re-creating all of the tunes? They'll just replace them all with total generic crap."

Katamari Dragulacy

SolidSnakex said:
You know it'd also have to have "Rollin'" by Limp Bizkit. That'll be its new theme song.

Let's come up with the Namco of America Katamari Damarcy replacement soundtrack! I'll start:

Dragula by Rob Zombie
Rollin' by Limp Bizkit
Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones
Houses in Motion by the Talking Heads

I dont care that much about the music. I already have the soundtrack. It's cool but it's *very* Japanese.

I could like with some rock tunes. Just keep the sound effects and I'm good :)

Dragula by Rob Zombie
Rollin' by Limp Bizkit
Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones
Houses in Motion by the Talking Heads
Bone Crusha - Never Scared
Coolio - Fantastic Voyage

If they do change the songs, this list won't be so funny anymore. :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*pre-orders*

I gots to get my Damacy on, you know? But damn you guys for having me worried about the music...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, great news! Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about :)

and Ico Limited edition, AKA the nicest packaging of any game.. ever!!
Which now works on your good old' US console. See my thread here, for details ;)

Just a note: plz. try to relate the songs you choose to Katamari Damarcy somehow, and not just list songs you like. ;) ("Dragula" was just a joke because it's in about every bad licensed game soundtrack ever.)

Dave Brockie Experience - Too Much Stuff
Devo - Snowball
Man or Astro-Man - Journey to the Stars
The Aquabats - Pinch and Roll
DOA - Smash the State
The Briefs - C'mon Squash Me Like a Bug
The Cars - Let the Good Times Roll
Presidents of the USA - Lump

Top Bottom