• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy soundtrack re-hosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
http://forums.filenotfound.org/KATAMARIDAMACY/

I opted to put the individual files up there instead of one bigass zip file, in the hopes that it would lead to more people checking out some of the music from the game. For those of you who want the entire thing, it only means a few more clicks.

Those looking to sample the game's soundtrack without investing in a 180 meg DL can now do so. I reccomend #3, 5, 6, and 16.

Also, the server should be able to handle the GAF load, but please don't link to these files elsewhere. GAF use only :)

Edit: Forgot to give credit to bobbyconover for getting the files out there in the first place. Thanks Bobby :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Katamari on the Rock, Getsu to Oji, LONELY ROLLING STAR, and Sakurairo no Kisetsu are some of my favorites. The children in Sakurairo really put it over the top though...it's just an amazing song, video game or no.

Also of note is the fact that this rip doesn't include Wanda Wanda, which is fine since it's one of my least favorite songs on the soundtrack.

Ozchin

Getting files is kosher as long as you BUY THE GAME.
Thank you for your financial support of quality entertainment.

I don't want to see Katamari Damacy become another Ico/Rez/GrimFandango. If you want to see quality games in the future, spend money NOW on the good stuff.

No credit for me in the thread and no text file hosted along with the mp3s. Thanks buddy!

Edit: Another minor gripe - you probably shouldn't call this a "soundtrack." I know it's nitpicky, but it could lead to confusion somewhere down the line as it is copied and re-copied from computer to computer. Since it's a rip, "game rip" and "original game audio" are usually the preferred terms.

Thank you for putting this up.

bobbyconover said:
Edit: Another minor gripe - you probably shouldn't call this a "soundtrack." I know it's nitpicky, but it could lead to confusion somewhere down the line as it is copied and re-copied from computer to computer. Since it's a rip, "game rip" and "original game audio" are usually the preferred terms.

So this isn't the sountrack, obviously. I looked it up at Amazon.jp, and noticed a few obvious differences.

I'm sure I'll buy the official sountrack as soon as I have a few other things to put with it to save shipping, but I was wondering if you could tell me what any other differences there are between the "game rip" and the "soundtrack"?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Yeah, I had this on my webspace, but after consulting with mods it was decided not making a topic for it was the best idea. Nice going, Justin. :p

bobbyconover said:
No credit for me in the thread and no text file hosted along with the mp3s. Thanks buddy!

Yeah, bobby really deserves a nod for the being the guy for getting the music out there when the buzz was just starting, and I dare say it played a good part in adding to the momentum.

It's also the only quality audio rip from a game I've ever encountered (I've compared bobby's rips to the actual soundtrack audio and both are the same quality), plus it was his first attempt ever at such a thing!

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
heavy liquid said:
I'm sure I'll buy the official sountrack as soon as I have a few other things to put with it to save shipping, but I was wondering if you could tell me what any other differences there are between the "game rip" and the "soundtrack"?

The game rip tracks are a good deal longer than the official soundtrack (12 minute Katamari on the Rock vs. 6 minutes on the OST), and the OST has an extra track, Katamari March Damacy, which rules supreme.

Definitely worth a buy.

Anyone interested in ordering the cd for a bit cheaper than amazon.jp and with a more western friendly interface can get it here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCX-32760

brandonnn said:
The game rip tracks are a good deal longer than the official soundtrack (12 minute Katamari on the Rock vs. 6 minutes on the OST), and the OST has an extra track, Katamari March Damacy, which rules supreme.

Definitely worth a buy.

Thanks for the description, it sounds good.

I actually just broke down and ordered the OST. I'm looking forward to hearing Katamari March Damacy, as well as the shorter versions of some of the other songs.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover. I love bobbyconover.

I've had it since he originally hosted it and I've been rocking out to it since release. Hell it's even convinced a few people to purchase the game, piracy isn't always evil!

Where is the OST?

TekunoRobby said:
I've had it since he originally hosted it and I've been rocking out to it since release. Hell it's even convinced a few people to purchase the game, piracy isn't always evil!

Mermandala said:
I've also used bobbyc's rip to sell 3 different friends on the game who were indifferent.

Yeah, I have the same grey-area view on so-called piracy, as you can probably guess. Obviously it's heavily debatable, but in my opinion getting this kind of recording out there can only help games like Katamari gain exposure, which will in turn lead to people buying the game and possibly even the OST.

The original point of the rip, though, was to give the few of us who bought the game early-on a way to listen to the music - which we were all doing backflips over - outside of the game. The OST wasn't due out for a few months and we simply couldn't wait. The idea was that the OST would replace the rip once it arrived. When it showed up lacking some of the extended portions of the rip's tracks, it turned out that the rip still had relevance after all.

Besides, it hasn't been established when exactly posting content from a game becomes "piracy." Is recording 2 or 3 music tracks, as many so-called professional gaming sites often do, acceptable, while recording the entire sound test isn't? Until we reach some kind of conclusion, it'd be nice to not be labeled as a thieving pirate. As far as I know, that term is meant to apply to those who distribute copyrighted works, like the OST or the game itself, in their entirety. Yanking out a song, video clip, or character sprite doesn't come close to that in my book.

Anyway, thanks for the propz (Brendan, my ripping partner and unsung hero of the rip, says thanks as well), and boo to the haterz! We're all trying to help spread the wonderful Katamari love here, for the benefit of all. I'm confident that enough people will end up buying the game to make it all worthwhile.

Jesus, this soundtrack is awesome. Thanks bobbyconover. Awesome stuff.

Is there somewhere I can get the text file you want included? I might put this up somewhere. I think it might really interest a few people and help get them a bit more excited about this game.

Semjaza Azazel said:
Is there somewhere I can get the text file you want included? I might put this up somewhere. I think it might really interest a few people and help get them a bit more excited about this game.

Edit: Someone else already posted it, never mind. :)

Which version is being hosted by GDJustin, anyway? I'm guessing 192kbps VBR. I have it encoded in 320kbps as well if you're interested, though the 192 version sounds fine.

Bog

Junior Ace
Sweet, so are you guys gonna post the full game, too?

Because that's no fucking different.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Katamari Taino is definitely my favorite. Just awesome stuff.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about Katamari Taino. That's another really great one.

You know I was in a Carrefour store in Makuhari, and they were showing a sort of "behind the scenes" on the soundtrack to Katamari Damacy on this big ass Bose system. It was pretty awesome and completely random. :)

Anyway, I bought the OST outright when I was in Japan thanks to this rip, and I even convinced someone who had never seen or heard anything of the game to buy the soundtrack too, which he ended up loving.

You do some good work, bobbyconover.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The files are the soundtrack of the game, correct? The soundtrack of the game is available for purchase, correct? Much as it pains me, GA/GAF cannot risk the liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom