• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazuo Ishiguro wins Nobel Prize for literature

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is this the first time someone who has won a major sci-fi award (Clarke, Nebula, ) wins the literature Nobel?
I think it is.

I'll go read Never Let Me Go.

Iksenpets

Banned
You can send in an audio recording like Bob Dylan.

I see.

Pynchon would probably find some way to send in a blatant forgery as his recording, just so everyone would know he got one over on the Nobel people.

Lol Murakami :(

Not even joking, I think Murakami is happier living in the universe where Bob Dylan has a Nobel than in any universe where he has one himself.

As for Ishiguro, I've read Never Let Me Go and liked it, though it had me depressed for a good day or two afterwards. I need to check out The Remains of the Day at some point.

Pepboy

What the fuck

Will spoiler tag stuff for those who still want to read the book. But for fans interested in it from a dystopia / sci fi element I'd recommend just about anything else of note.

The whole idea of "what happens to the discarded bodies/clones if we let the rich and powerful harvest body parts" is not particularly novel. The movie The Island more or less covers the same ground, and Orson Scott Card had a lovely little short story 20+ years ago. That's just off hand, I'm sure even 20 years ago this stuff had been around for a while.

Once you remove the supposed novelty of that idea, the book became a drudge of youth gaining experience and tragic young love,
not that different from any Sparks book where one character is fatally ill. Actually having read one Sparks book, I think he did a better job of conveying relatable emotions (even if saccharine) compared to this author.

I can't imagine anyone reading or recommending Never Let Me Go in 20 years time. I'm not sure if this prize could be the result of marketing and PR for the movie or if critics actually feel this work has literary merit, but I would not recommend it as one of the ~1000 books you might have time to read in your life. I don't know about his other works, but I'd recommend just reading the plot summary on wikipedia instead.

I'm sure many people feel otherwise. Indeed it was the warm reviews for this book on GAF that got me to read it. Especially when people mentioned it as a sci fi book, a genre I am very fond of. However I wanted to give my contrary, but honest, opinion on it so people don't feel like they have to read the book or risk "missing out".

Kuraudo

Banned
I swear Murakami is the only literary author GAF knows.

Ishiguro is a good choice. Really surprised they went with another English language writer so soon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Never Let Me Go is a masterpiece.

This is incredibly well-deserved.

Murakami next, for Christ's sake.

Sean C

Will spoiler tag stuff for those who still want to read the book. But for fans interested in it from a dystopia / sci fi element I'd recommend just about anything else of note.

The whole idea of "what happens to the discarded bodies/clones if we let the rich and powerful harvest body parts" is not particularly novel. The movie The Island more or less covers the same ground, and Orson Scott Card had a lovely little short story 20+ years ago. That's just off hand, I'm sure even 20 years ago this stuff had been around for a while.

Once you remove the supposed novelty of that idea, the book became a drudge of youth gaining experience and tragic young love,
not that different from any Sparks book where one character is fatally ill. Actually having read one Sparks book, I think he did a better job of conveying relatable emotions (even if saccharine) compared to this author.

I can't imagine anyone reading or recommending Never Let Me Go in 20 years time. I'm not sure if this prize could be the result of marketing and PR for the movie or if critics actually feel this work has literary merit, but I would not recommend it as one of the ~1000 books you might have time to read in your life. I don't know about his other works, but I'd recommend just reading the plot summary on wikipedia instead.

I'm sure many people feel otherwise. Indeed it was the warm reviews for this book on GAF that got me to read it. Especially when people mentioned it as a sci fi book, a genre I am very fond of. However I wanted to give my contrary, but honest, opinion on it so people don't feel like they have to read the book or risk "missing out".
The relative novelty of the plot isn't the reason people recommend it, it's how good the writing is, and the way he explores
the way the characters have been inculcated with the philosophy of resignation to their fate and are unable to conceive of rebelling against the system

GSR

Great choice. I got to see him give a talk and briefly meet him a few years back.

Still need to get around to The Buried Giant.

Never read his stuff but seen his name featured prominently in reading lists etc.

Was going to go on a sci fi binge but may well check out Remains of the Day.

On a Murakami related note, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is one of the best books I've ever read.

Valhelm

contribute something
Really a shame Murakami didn't get this, but now I have another author for my list

Should I start with Never Let Me Go? How worthwhile are his other novels?

Famassu

I read Never Let Me Go, what an absolute disappointment. Virtually nothing of note from a sci fi perspective, and it boils down to something that could be written by Nicholas Sparks.
It's an amazingly atmospheric & well written book. The base idea may not be novel but it's still an absolutely beautiful book.

Timbuktu

Really a shame Murakami didn't get this, but now I have another author for my list

The best one would be Remains of the Day. I also liked When we were Orphans. The settings and genres changes, but Ishiguro dwells on similar themes.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

That or Remains of the Day.

He is an author that isn't really about the plot. He captures the small moments, the feel of the wind or the recollection of an old memory, with a dignified and quiet beauty.

I can easily see people getting bored if they expect big revelations or dramatic moments in his books. But his books feel so real and relatable.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I haven't read his novels, but I absolutely love his short story "A Village After Dark".

It gives nothing away.

juicyb

I've only read Never Let Me Go from him, but I absolutely loved it. Happy for him and I hope to get around to his other novels, specifically The Remains of the Day, as that seems to be mentioned a ton.

Never Let Me Go is absolutely incredible. No book has ever captured the feeling of love better than this book, for me. And there are a lot of books out there about love, so that's a huge accomplishment.

Well deserved.

I read Never Let Me Go, what an absolute disappointment. Virtually nothing of note from a sci fi perspective, and it boils down to something that could be written by Nicholas Sparks.

I don't like Never Let Me Go because of the sci-fi. I like it because it's a love story. The way it expresses the feeling of love, the feeling of never wanting to let go, resonated with me so much.

maomaoIYP

Ishiguro is my favourite author so this was incredible news!
Lol Murakami fans are probably crying again, try again next year. It's almost becoming a meme at this point, where every year they declare Murakami the most likely winner, and then someone else wins it.

Edit: Everyone new to Ishiguro should start with Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go. A Pale View of the Hills and When We Were Orphans are good too. Whatever you do, do not start with The Unconsoled. In fact you can probably skip it completely.

Peru

Great to see someone who holds Charlotte Brontë as his foremost inspiration and reason for his career win the Nobel.

Top Bottom