• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig didn’t learn a damned thing about DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-Duo

Be careful about the news narratives that we see on social media.

So when the earnings news came out, along with the news that Keurig would be bringing back My K-Cup, people cheered. Down with DRM and crappy coffee! Up with consumer choice and limited DIY opportunities!

Except it’s not that simple. Keurig blames their customers, and not themselves, for their current financial woes. Instead of removing the poorly-thought out DRM from their 2.0 coffee makers, they’re going to double-down on consumer (re)education and teach us all to love Big Coffee.
Brian Kelly — CEO: With any new product introduction they are always challenges that are front end loaded and our transition to 2.0 was particularly complex…. Some of this was due to consumer confusion around pod compatibility which we’ve mentioned in the past…. beginning in June of this year 2.0 brewer packaging will more prominently communicate the fact that the Keurig 2.0 brew is more than 500 varieties across more than 70 brands, including the top 10 brands. We expect this to help clear up the misperception the system only brews Green Mountain or Keurig owned brands.
Translation: our customers misunderstood the DRM and thought that they had to buy OUR coffee. Actually they can buy any coffee from an approved vendor. We need to make this clearer to our customers. They will thank us for it.

https://medium.com/message/keurig-didn-t-learn-a-damned-thing-about-drm-972912b13243

So basically, the CEO:
Zp7ybBT.png

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How the fuck does coffee have DRM?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I thought there was a work around for this almost immediately?

Anyway, fuck keurig forever. When the keurig I paid $40 for like 5 years ago takes a shit I'll buy one of those Mr Coffee things and continue to use Costco K cups.

How the fuck does coffee have DRM?

It's a somewhat poorly applied shorthand. The Keurig 2.0 only works with pods that have a special white ring printed around the lid. If you put in a pod that doesn't have this ring, it doesn't work. You can cram a lid from any pod into the machine so it always "sees" the ring and any coffee pod will work.

Kittygirl

My boss has a Keurig for the office, Since I can't drink coffee, she's the only who uses it.

I'm getting a kick out of her being baffled by these DRM issues.

I've tried to explain the DRM stuff to her, with no success. Having her tell me earlier today that she sort of gets it, after her 15 year old daughter explained it, cracked me up.

I'm old, so not to be trusted. Even though I told her the same things her daughter did about DRM, I found her baffled acceptance of her daughter's (annoyed) explanation funny. At least, I didn't explain things with disdain. Teens can be the best when technology comes knocking.

Something tells me she'll listen to me in the future. It's one thing to have a glorified secretary trying to help, as opposed to your child rolling their eyes at your stupidity.

I'd argue against these things but because I grind my own beans, I've learned that make me an elitist and I can't offer valid opinions on the subject.

Tenebrous

They did spend millions on the whole Kuerig infrastructure and development. They do have a right to protect their investment. I'm not sure they went about it the right was as the customers shouldn't be the ones navigating through the landscape they created.

Why can't they just be satisfied with making a good coffee maker and selling it at a profit? If the coffee itself isn't good enough to make money, stop making that and do something else.

I don't drink coffee, and have no idea if Keurig devices are actually good or not.

cDNA

I thought there was a work around for this almost immediately?

Anyway, fuck keurig forever. When the keurig I paid $40 for like 5 years ago takes a shit I'll buy one of those Mr Coffee things and continue to use Costco K cups.

That is what I don't understand they don't seem to have a patent on the actual machine, so other companies can sell their own models cheaper and without DRM. They can lose the leverage have the big brands to license their coffee if other companies' model sells better

forrest

formerly nacire
They need to quit trying to figure out how to limit their machines to specific cups and figure out how to brew a halfway decent strength cup at a decent size. For the life of me, I have yet to have a k-cup brewed cup of coffee that wasn't watered down. I need my coffee machine to shit crude oil into my cup to get going in the morning.

3TSdVUC.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
Damn, Keurig, why can't you just sell a damn coffee maker, and shut the fuck up?

Just trying to squeeze every penny out of it that you can, instead of simply making a great product, and creating good customer will.

Why can't they just be satisfied with making a good coffee maker and selling it at a profit? If the coffee itself isn't good enough to make money, stop making that and do something else.

I don't drink coffee, and have no idea if Keurig devices are actually good or not.

It is like asking Apple to stop taking 30% of App Store revenue and allowing anything into their walled garden even though they went to the trouble of developing the OS, hardware, and infrastructure. Kuerig is more than just coffee, it is a coffee ecosystem whether that is a good or bad idea for a product is up for debate.

They need to quit trying to figure out how to limit their machines to specific cups and figure out how to brew a halfway decent strength cup at a decent size. For the life of me, I have yet to have a k-cup brewed cup of coffee that wasn't watered down. I need my coffee machine to shit crude oil into my cup to get going in the morning.
Not crude oil strength but you can adjust the settings for it to steep longer in the ground before pouring.

You're so cool
Haha... nah. Just salty. I've actually been told that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom