• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Costner's Horizon- An American Saga

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It oooks like they canned the second movie because the first one bombed on box office.

Did they filmed both movies back to back? Can we expect at least a direct-to-streaming on the second one?
Both movies are in the can. But 3 and 4 may not get filmed.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
I love westerns, but man was this movie insanely boring. Nearly fell asleep multiple times. They really should have cut out quite a bit of it, or at least added something to keep you engaged earlier rather than trying to set up for 2, 3, and 4.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Apparently there are plans to convert all the movie footage into a TV series to capitalize on Yellowstone....

"
The ultimate destination of “Horizon,” he acknowledged, was always going to be on TV.

“They’re going to break this up into a hundred pieces, you know what I mean?” said Costner. “After four of these, they’re going to have 13, 14 hours of film and they’re going to turn into 25 hours of TV, and they’re going to do whatever they’re going to do. That’s just the way we live in our life but they’ll also exist in this form. And that was important for me, to make sure that happened. And I was the one who paid for it.”
"

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Apparently there are plans to convert all the movie footage into a TV series to capitalize on Yellowstone....

"
The ultimate destination of “Horizon,” he acknowledged, was always going to be on TV.

“They’re going to break this up into a hundred pieces, you know what I mean?” said Costner. “After four of these, they’re going to have 13, 14 hours of film and they’re going to turn into 25 hours of TV, and they’re going to do whatever they’re going to do. That’s just the way we live in our life but they’ll also exist in this form. And that was important for me, to make sure that happened. And I was the one who paid for it.”
"
I think it would probably work better as a tv series anyway. But I would like to see that second film as it was initially cut. But after seeing the film there is easily a couple tv episodes there where you spend 20 minutes an episode with each group. Then probably by the end or midway thought season 2/movie 2 they begin to converge.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Honestly I felt the movie was really the first three parts of a TV series. When the sudden ending came I felt the movie had hardly begun because there were still new plots being introduced. I really want to see Horizon completed, I hope Costner gets enough funding to finish his script as a TV series. It's a story worth telling.

Raven117

I absolutely love westerns. Love them.

But they can suffer from their own pretension and weight too much. All trying to these sweeping sagas.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Honestly I felt the movie was really the first three parts of a TV series. When the sudden ending came I felt the movie had hardly begun because there were still new plots being introduced. I really want to see Horizon completed, I hope Costner gets enough funding to finish his script as a TV series. It's a story worth telling.

The first two parts are done and he's in the middle of filming parts 3 and 4.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Taylor Sheridan is the man.
I've liked his movies but couldn't stomach Yellowstone or 1883 past a couple of episodes.

near

Gold Member
I've liked his movies but couldn't stomach Yellowstone or 1883 past a couple of episodes.
As a writer I think he is quite brilliant, Sicario and Wind River had well polished screenplays. I only got up to season 3 of Yellowstone and I enjoyed most of it. He's established in the genre as far as I'm concerned and I'm always willing to consume anything he works on. He's TV work tend to be slow burners, but I don't mind because he is able to flesh out sub plots and evolve he's characters in a more satisfying way you won't see in he's films.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As a writer I think he is quite brilliant, Sicario and Wind River had well polished screenplays. I only got up to season 3 of Yellowstone and I enjoyed most of it. He's established in the genre as far as I'm concerned and I'm always willing to consume anything he works on. He's TV work tend to be slow burners, but I don't mind because he is able to flesh out sub plots and evolve he's characters in a more satisfying way you won't see in he's films.
It was that his TV shows were too fast paced on plot that I found off putting. Everything escalated rapidly in what felt like really unrealistic ways which clashed hard with the more ponderous approach to everything else.

KaiserBecks

You really need to see „Hell or high water“ if you like his stuff!

near

Gold Member
You really need to see „Hell or high water“ if you like his stuff!

I've seen it. I honestly can't remember how it ends and some of the scenes in that trailer are completely wiped from my memory, I do remember enjoying it though. I should probably rewatch it at some point.

Top Bottom