• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kickstarter] Diluvion - Deep sea exploration / sub combat game by Arachnid Games

Applebite

So some of may have seen this game on GAF or other gaming sites.

The game now finally has a name (Diluvion) and a lot more details, and along with that, a kickstarter campaign. The $10 pledge tier gets you the full game once it is released, as well as any planned expansions, and the $45 pledge tier gets you in on the closed beta.
General overview:
  • Deep sea exploration and submarine combat.
  • Will be released on Windows and Mac via steam.
  • Features controller support.
  • Two expansions planned, backers that contribute $10 or more will receive all planned expansions free of additional charge.
Videos (and gameplay!):
Backer rewards:
  • $5: Digital art collection, be listed on Officical Backer's List on their site
  • $10: Receive full game on release via Steam, as well as both planned expansions. Includes previous rewards.
  • $20: Get Kickstarter exclusive sub #1. Includes previous rewards.
  • $25: Kickstarter exclusive sub #2. Includes previous rewards.
  • $30: Kickstarter exclusive sub #3. Includes previous rewards.
  • $45: Get access to closed beta. Includes previous rewards.
  • $99: Get biggest Kickstarter exclusive sub.
  • $500: 3D printed Lionfish sub and signed poster. Includes previous rewards.
  • $1,000: Get in the game. A character based on you will be designed and put in the game. Includes previous rewards.
More gameplay details:
Diluvion is about commanding your submarine to explore the relics and wonders of the sunken world. As the captain of your sub, you have access to an array of weapons in addition to sonar and salvaging abilities. Sonar is essential for getting information about the world around you. However, it can be a deadly game of cat and mouse. By sending out a sonar ping, you also alert hostile subs in the area to your presence.Combat in Diluvion is derived from the classic space trading and combat simulation genre. We drew inspiration from games like Wing Commander and Freelancer, but added new dimensions to the combat. First, while designing the subs, we put a lot of thought into what's inside. There's a great emphasis on the interior of your sub and the crew that operates it. Different Gunners will give unique firing bonuses, Helmsmen can increase the effectiveness of your ship with advanced maneuvers, and a good Sonar Tech can give you the edge in a long-range torpedo battle. Additionally, your crew can often function semi-autonomously. For example, your gunners can be told to engage previously designated targets while you're busy dodging a torpedo! As you progress through the game, you will naturally find yourself in larger submarines, and to operate them you'll need a bigger crew. There will be also be new job classes you'll discover as you advance.
The game will feature both 2D and 3D sections:
Diluvion contains a mix of 2D and 3D elements. While exploring in your sub, you'll view the open world around you in 3D. When visiting towns and interacting with your crew, a cross-section view reveals intricately painted 2D interiors.
The team (more details on the KS page):
We are a proven team of developers who have shipped games to many platforms including Steam, Desura, Wii U, iOS, and Android. We were awarded the Indie DB 2013 Visuality award for Ballpoint Universe. Our team has a combined total of 19 years of game development experience, 12 years of programming experience, and 13 years of Unity game engine experience.
Release details:
  • Initial release: December 2015
  • Expansion 1: June 2016
  • Expansion 2: December 2016
Budget details:
A $40,000 budget will allow our small team to develop and complete the initial release. Here's a simple budget breakdown of development of the initial release based on a $40,000 minimum:
  • Team / business expenses: $30,500 (team salaries, office workspace/utilities, incidentals)
  • Software Licensing: $2,000
  • Kickstarter & Amazon fees: $3-4,000
  • Packing & Shipping: ~$3,000
Some art from the game:
1IcX0vw.png
RGzzf2t.png

0IubPD2.png
(Let me know if there's anything missing, any formatting issues or anything wrong with the thread in general as this is my first GAF thread!)

Eiderann

Neo Member
I'm really liking the look of this. The use of the sonar ping to bring shape to the world is pretty neat and feels like it'd build up anticipation as you try to figure out whatever you're looking at/running away from.

shandy706

Whatever that "gif" is, I can't get it to load at all...??

Edit**

$40k is such a tiny amount of money. I'm amazed a multi-person team would put in all this work for so little. Hope they pull in more money than that.

Not much hype for this here?

First update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1075607244/diluvion/posts/1255139
This is an initial map of one of the areas, Forgotten Fjords. What was once coastal fjords peppered with farmland and small villages is now a plunderer's dream. The sea level rose well above what it once was, leaving ghostly remnants of the villages that once lay on these coasts. There will be a lot of narrow corridors to explore, shipwrecks to plunder, and crewmembers to find in this map.
ce56Kxf.jpg

Moobabe

I'm not such a fan of the third person under water adventuring stuff as I am the cut away of the inside of your sub. That is pretty cool, still, it's got a low goal and a fairly low entry point. I might back it.

Applebite

Bumping this for anyone who hasn't seen this as there's a week left of the kickstarter and the game is about $5K short of hitting its funding goal.

Keasar

I remember this, glad to hear its coming out soon and it looks really cool.

Hopefully my fear of deep waters won't stop me from playing it.

Sevenfold

I was with it until the combat. Setting style top marks. love the way you interact with your ship, but ugh, lots of twitchy combat. I'll keep an eye on it but man hype up and back down lol

Elandyll

Banned
Very happy it's coming out so soon, was afraid of it being delayed.

Gotta love some underwater/sub action and exploration!

Not only does it look pretty awesome, but it falls right between GR2 and Horizon, at a decent price.
Bought!

Diluvion+underwater+video+game+open+world+deep+sea+exploration+game+still_a9d8d6_5312309.gif

ultrazilla

Unity engine. :(

I'll wait on reviews and since the development team is using Unity(from my understanding, at least one member is a seasoned Unity programming veteran) it'll be interesting to see how the performance is with the engine.

Again, looks *VERY* promising but Unity is such a big ? for me. Even Insomniac had numerous performance issues with it when they developed "Song of the Deep". To their credit, they released a few patches to get performance up to snuff on their game. I believe one of their team said that they would not be using Unity going forward for any future PC releases from them as well.

Will buy if reviews/performance issues are ok.

Wow this looks really good, must have missed the initial thread. I have some steam money so I will buy assuming reasonably positive reviews.

Wait for some reason it is much cheaper on Humble, currently $10.https://www.humblebundle.com/widget/v2/standalone/diluvion/Poialsdkfj1393/ Maybe I will just pull the trigger.

It looks like this is still the Backer price but it hasnt updated yet and you can still buy! It says "Pre-order Diluvion now! Help fund the project, and receive the game for 50% off the expected release price! Estimated delivery Fall 2015."

Machina

Banned
Very happy it's coming out so soon, was afraid of it being delayed.

Gotta love some underwater/sub action and exploration!

Not only does it look pretty awesome, but it falls right between GR2 and Horizon, at a decent price.
Bought!

Diluvion+underwater+video+game+open+world+deep+sea+exploration+game+still_a9d8d6_5312309.gif

Holy shit that is terrifying and incredible all at once

Skelter

Banned
Wow this looks really good, must have missed the initial thread. I have some steam money so I will buy assuming reasonably positive reviews.

Wait for some reason it is much cheaper on Humble, currently $10.https://www.humblebundle.com/widget/v2/standalone/diluvion/Poialsdkfj1393/ Maybe I will just pull the trigger.

It looks like this is still the Backer price but it hasnt updated yet and you can still buy! It says "Pre-order Diluvion now! Help fund the project, and receive the game for 50% off the expected release price! Estimated delivery Fall 2015."

Wow. I've never heard of this game and Gaf is quiet on it. I might pull the trigger too.

RedFury

Man game looks really good. Wish I had known about the Kickstarter because my OCD self NEEDS those extra ships!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wait is that a giant sea spider that is disguised as a submarine?

Elandyll

Banned
Welp, guess Diluvion didn't quite make a splash (pun intended).

67% MC
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diluvion

63% OC
http://opencritic.com/game/3887/diluvion

The consensus seems to be that while the game itself is stunning, it is also very frustrating and suffers from some technical issues (camera) and design choices (checkpoint saves, no dynamic map, survival mechanics like hunger or Oxygen management detract from exploration aspect...).

I started the game last night myself and in fact had a blast with it.
The first 10-20 minutes were a bit frustrating between learning to navigate, O2 management, not always knowing where to go (most of the time, at first, orange schools of fish will guide you, but not always) and having a map but it does not show you where you are on it (devs want you to use the compass and points of interest). Quest elements were also not always updating. Think about talking to everyone, on your sub, but also in bases.

Save points (being rare) were also an issue but they have already patched more in, or so I hear.

Game is stunning though, the music is just incredible, and the crew management (introduced progressively, I think there's also a customizable base later on) is great.

Looking forward to play more, and the devs sound like they are going to fine tune as we go and listen to player feedback.

Ps: click on everything in bases and subs you board. Not all containers with loot will be bright yellow.

prudislav

^^^
apparently they are already trying to solve bunch of issues and revealed some upcoming plans

Hey guys! This is an update log so you can see what's in the works for the next build and what the most recent updates were.

Latest Build: 1.15b (uploaded 2/1/2017)
  • Tweaked navigation so 'waypoint fish' are more precise and will guide for longer
  • Extended FOV slider - up to +35 degrees (~90 degrees total)
  • Fixed font & icons in compass to be less intrusive
  • Added checkpoints by all landmarks, tweaked checkpoint radius
  • Reloading to checkpoint when save file has no air will refill one air tank

Requested Features (for future updates)
  • Restricted manual save
  • Indicator for new waypoint added (when not near a landmark)
  • Saving dialogue status (reloading file after save won't show read dialogue as 'new')
  • Camera position slider (left, center, right)
  • Alternate 'no resources' play mode
  • Control updates - sub movement independent of camera direction
  • Current crew / max crew indicator
  • Location & route indicator on map

Bugs
  • FOV slider not saving between loads
  • Mouse sensitivity slider affects interior cursor but not camera speed
  • Manta & Deringer crush depth are displaying incorrectly
  • DOF shader still renders on Mac for fast & good quality settings

For further suggestions, feel free to post here and we'll take it into account.

Happy sailing!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/446790/discussions/0/133256080237546641/

Top Bottom