• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone demo now available at EB & Gamestop.

Preorder only, I believe. Same demo as Circuit City, but not in a DVD case. Apparently, they were hard to come by at Circuit City, so here you go.

It really is an incredible demo. I've played each of the level dozens of times and expect great things from it.

My Circuit City had like 20 of them. I got one the first day they got them in. It is a good demo.

I went back to Circuit City, and got my $10 back...So I literally paid one cent for the Killzone demo. Good deal.

skip said:
which levels are on the demo?

One that is an exterior level with trenches, and another that takes place in a mall of some kind, where the helghast are in control and at one point, repel from a dropship towards the end of the level.

gmoran

skip said:
ah, thanks. the mall level is one of the better ones.

I got the UK OPM Demo yesterday - it only has the mall level, but I loved it. Played it all last night; its a short level because its timed, but I just kept restarting.

My anticipation for KZ had been dropping substantially with forum comments, my mates playing the on-line demo and not that impressed, and Edge have made some digs about unpassable kirbs and scripted Helghast assaults. After playing the demo, I can't wait again.

But you sort of sound like you've played the game and don't like it? What levels have you played? Was it the completed game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grabbed the demo today (along with some other promo crap).

Not too bad, I suppose, but nothing special. The trench level just sucks. It's just a scripted run through a trench area with a bunch of pitstops along the way. Nothing we haven't seen before in other games.

The mall level is actually pretty fun, but once again, it doesn't really stand out.

On the good side, it looks pretty nice and animates very well. The actual screen motion and gun animation is among the best I've seen. Very convincing. The actual levels themselves look pretty solid and the game has a good sense of style. They also have a nice Silent Hill style grain filter applied to everything.

Sadly, the framerate is pretty poor at times.

It was never really a game I was anticipating, but I was always interested to see how it would turn out. Based on this demo, it didn't turn out all that well.

There is no way that Killzone could possibly stand against Halo 2, Half-Life 2, or Prime 2 (attack of the sequels!!!).

gmoran

The UK OPM magazine only has the mall level; I've heard less than favourable comments about the trench level - but I've also heard its a training level as well?

I didn't notice any frame rate issues, it looks 30. But then again I didn't notice any frame rate issues witth PS2 SSX. I'm not senstive to frame rate stalls unless they are bad.

The mall level has great style and atmosphere, and thats what I loved about it. As for FPS gameplay? I don't know, it hasn't got that Halo flow, but few FPS's have, and I'm not an FPS junkie anyway. But I love it's style, and it plays well enough.

I'm not technicaly capable with FPS's, I played through Halo on easy, anything harder and I'd have never made it. But KZ is quite tactical, you have sufficient resources to stay alive as long as you don't soak up too much damage in a short space of time, but throwing grenades and reloading weapons leaves you really vulnerable.

The AI is reasonable as well, youir team fight well by themselves, they support you, and will cover for you, but give them enough time and they can clear areas by themselves. The Helghast are quite canny as well, they run forwards behind cover and give supporting fire, use secondary weapons; and fall back; they will occasionaly get confused and just stand facing the wrong way waiting to get slotted.

Controls are good, not as good as Halo (best joy pad FPS), but the control layout is Halo based, and I had no problems. There doesn't appear to be an auto aim, but I could aim and kill stuff. There's a sprint option, pressing L3, which works great you put your weapon out the way and run. Again it helps you to think tactically.

My overall impression is that KZ is a creditable FPS, wrapped in wonderfully atmospheric visuals and audio; think Ico goes to war.

Based on the Slums level I'm hoping for an Edge 7/10.

EAJAPAN

sonycowboy said:
One that is an exterior level with trenches, and another that takes place in a mall of some kind, where the helghast are in control and at one point, repel from a dropship towards the end of the level.

That's the same as the demo we have in Australia. I have to say I didn't mind the demo at all. Not that I have wild expectations for the game, but it does seem like a decent little number. I put down a pre-order for it.

Top Bottom