• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals |OT| Preseason’s over, it’s time to take sides

If they're not going to remove Kinect, then they need to give us a reason to want one. This may be a good start depending on how well it's received.

EBE

It would be great if they added archery as an add-on. I could play that all day.
KS2 did add in basketball, so it's certainly possible. Archery, golf, and skiing (I liked it) would be cool. Skiing has the potential to be especially awesome. Im thinking something like that old ps2 game, downhill domination I think it was called.

Installing now. Asked for a 900mb update as well.

Might not have impressions until tomorrow. I'm supposed to help someone move today and I'm not sure if I will want to play after that. I have the morning free tomorrow to dig in though.

Alx

Unfortunately it won't be available here until April 11th, apparently. :(
Main request about the first impressions : are there quirky minigames in it ? That was the best part of the original episodes, and I fear that with the change of tone in KSR they may have removed them.

abracadaver

Can you create offline accounts on X1 like on 360 ?

I want to play this with my girlfriend without creating a live account for her

SystemBug

Can you create offline accounts on X1 like on 360 ?

I want to play this with my girlfriend without creating a live account for her
If you have one member paying for live on Xbox one, all of the others will also be live enabled by default. You don't have to pay extra. *I think*

Well, I managed to have some free time with the game.

The facial scan feature worked out pretty well. It takes a few minutes to go through the process but the results are surprisingly good.

You're asked to take your glasses off during the process but the game remembers that you were glasses and put on a pair that are surprisingly close to my own.

The game gave me a full beard even though I only have a couple of days worth of stubble. That was an easy fix though.

As far as I can tell the game automatically uploads my likeness so I guess it's out there in the Cloud for gaming press and xbox employees to play against this week.

Unfortunately it looks like I have to go through each mode's tutorial session in order to unlock it and you have to go in the order they give you. I don't see a way around this.

The first event is wave racing which most of you will be familiar with via the pre-season download. The controls actually felt somewhat improved over what I played in preseason.

I was able to change my outfit and had a few unlocks from the preseason. I ended up in some sort of skeleton shirt which was kind of nifty. Haven't gone through the DLC outfits yet so I'm not sure if there is anything interesting to select.

When I was done with the tutorial and first race for Wave Racing I unlocked mountain climbing but I won't have a chance to play around with that right now.

Along the way you are gaining XP that unlocks more content. Not sure what I have so far but I will dig into that later.

The final game makes use of a hub like the pre-season hub. This is where leaderboard information appears to be kept. When I select it the game takes me to the pre-season hub so I guess that functionality isn't ready yet.

Gamertag: Proteus

If you have one member paying for live on Xbox one, all of the others will also be live enabled by default. You don't have to pay extra. *I think*

My girlfriend has her own live account under my Xbox One. Seems to have all the functionality I do for the price of one account.

EBE

The facial scan feature worked out pretty well. It takes a few minutes to go through the process but the results are surprisingly good.

You're asked to take your glasses off during the process but the game remembers that you were glasses and put on a pair that are surprisingly close to my own.

The game gave me a full beard even though I only have a couple of days worth of stubble. That was an easy fix though.

As far as I can tell the game automatically uploads my likeness so I guess it's out there in the Cloud for gaming press and xbox employees to play against this week.

Neat. It didnt ask you to change the light levels in your play space or anything like that? I could see that as a reason for maybe picking up a darker, fuller beard when you dont really have much going on at the moment. That tech is what im honestly most excited to see out of KSR, as Rare's previous efforts with Kinect have pretty much proven they're the ones with the best grasp on the hardware (sorry Harmonix).

Anyone who has it, I just want to know one thing: is there more to it than the six packaged sports i.e. do they all have separate mini-games like the first two? If not, it seems like it's pretty low on content compared to the previous Kinect Sports games.

I wanna know this too. I spent much more time on the mini games than the games themselves.

EBE

Yes but I dont want to create an xbox live account for her.

wait, so what are you asking? im pretty sure there's a Guest account she could use like on the 360, but if your xbox one is tied to your Gold profile as your home console then any secondary accounts you make on it will also have Gold, so... why not let her have an account? she could keep any achievements, game progress, and fitness data she makes that way.

JaggedSac

Anybody know if the digital version also gets the Battletoads bonus?

KinectSportsRival_bonusLG.jpg

abracadaver

wait, so what are you asking? im pretty sure there's a Guest account she could use like on the 360, but if your xbox one is tied to your Gold profile as your home console then any secondary accounts you make on it will also have Gold, so... why not let her have an account? she could keep any achievements, game progress, and fitness data she makes that way.

Because I dont want to register her with email and all just to play a few rounds of bowling in KSR.
I want kinect to recognize her and log her in automatically and save her profile but only offline.
Is that possible with guest accounts ?

EBE

Battletoads is a GameStop exclusive :(
maybe sometime down the road in an update, along with more Rare legacy content

Because I dont want to register her with email and all just to play a few rounds of bowling in KSR.
I want kinect to recognize her and log her in automatically and save her profile but only offline.
for quick play sessions, sure, Guest accounts should work. if you want to save unlocks, her Champion, and other odds and ends, then you'll probably need a full account.

EBE

Does it have micro transactions?

i dont believe so. everything seems to point to a more traditional system of leveling and in-game unlocks. poster DoctorWho did manage to get his hands on the game early, so i suppose its up to him to confirm or deny the presence of micro transactions in the game.

Neat. It didnt ask you to change the light levels in your play space or anything like that? I could see that as a reason for maybe picking up a darker, fuller beard when you dont really have much going on at the moment. That tech is what im honestly most excited to see out of KSR, as Rare's previous efforts with Kinect have pretty much proven they're the ones with the best grasp on the hardware (sorry Harmonix).

Yes. It did say the lighting was a bit dark. Still did a surprisingly good job despite that. The beard was the only oddity.

sangreal

You dont have to register with an existing email or real info, etc. You can just create a throwaway guest account and the xbox will create a outlook.com email for it

Sydle

Nice OT, OP. : )

I had a lot of fun with KS and KS2, and the wake racing demo is very promising, so I'll be getting this next week right after I get back from vacation.

I hope they start adding sports soon after release. I'd like to see table tennis, darts, volleyball, and golf return, and then new ones like Frisbee golf, water skiing, and archery.

EagleEyes

Loved KS and KS2, so I'll be getting this next week right after I get back from vacation.

I hope they start adding sports soon after release. I'd like to see table tennis, darts, volleyball, and golf return, and then new ones like Frisbee golf, water skiing, and archery.
Yes, yes. yes. Give me a X1 version of Table tennis and i'll be in heaven. I absolutely loved table tennis in KS1.

Yes, yes. yes. Give me a X1 version of Table tennis and i'll be in heaven. I absolutely loved table tennis in KS1.

Me too. I have no idea why they chose Tennis over Table Tennis. Aside from being more fun in KS, it doesn't rely on simulating movement across an entire court.

jamiept

Banned
It is Kinect only

The latency is still too noticeable

The scan-yourself feature only sorta works

The character limbs sometimes bend in unnatural ways

The shooting game consists of pointing your finger at the screen and slowing moving your arm around

But, dammit.... I'll be getting this game

The most interesting idea is that your Character can challenge other players even when you are not playing. It sounds gimmicky but also neat, IMO.

And if Xbox held more global tournaments like they did recently, with cash or other prizes, this would be the type of game where it makes a lot of sense

EBE

Nice OT, OP. : )

I had a lot of fun with KS and KS2, and the wake racing demo is very promising, so I'll be getting this next week right after I get back from vacation.

thank you! id love to see boxing be patched in. it was by far my favorite event in the first kinect sports (after table tennis, obviously), jank and all. darts and golf in KS2 were good fun as well. if they had to put them out as paid DLC i think 5 bucks per event would be pretty reasonable, given that theyd have to rework them to support equipment and powerups and such.

It is Kinect only

The latency is still too noticeable

The scan-yourself feature only sorta works

The character limbs sometimes bend in unnatural ways

The shooting game consists of pointing your finger at the screen and slowing moving your arm around

But, dammit.... I'll be getting this game

The most interesting idea is that your Character can challenge other players even when you are not playing. It sounds gimmicky but also neat, IMO.

And if Xbox held more global tournaments like they did recently, with cash or other prizes, this would be the type of game where it makes a lot of sense

well theres the Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship that'll kick off at launch. Rare do seem keen on supporting the game with big community events, so here's hoping it has long legs.

i have to wonder if they'll find some way to integrate any fitness data with the Xbox Fitness app. burn calories in KSR and earn stamps in the app, maybe?

Mdk7

Unfortunately it looks like I have to go through each mode's tutorial session in order to unlock it and you have to go in the order they give you. I don't see a way around this.

The first event is wave racing which most of you will be familiar with via the pre-season download. The controls actually felt somewhat improved over what I played in preseason.

I was able to change my outfit and had a few unlocks from the preseason. I ended up in some sort of skeleton shirt which was kind of nifty. Haven't gone through the DLC outfits yet so I'm not sure if there is anything interesting to select.

When I was done with the tutorial and first race for Wave Racing I unlocked mountain climbing but I won't have a chance to play around with that right now.

Along the way you are gaining XP that unlocks more content. Not sure what I have so far but I will dig into that later.

The final game makes use of a hub like the pre-season hub. This is where leaderboard information appears to be kept. When I select it the game takes me to the pre-season hub so I guess that functionality isn't ready yet.

Gamertag: Proteus

My girlfriend has her own live account under my Xbox One. Seems to have all the functionality I do for the price of one account.
Add me dude!
Mdk7

;)

Prine

Banned
Finally!! My body is ready (for full body motion gaming). This will be my wife's "go to" game, I'm not going to be surprised to come home and find her ignoring me completely and playing KS hehe

Tak3n

Banned
Watched the Eurogamer preview, I feel he was a little unfair as the clip with the shooting whilst funny was perhaps a little unkind

I kind of agree with him though as I come from his viewpoint of Kinect, and as a casual game then this is fine but the moment you make it competitive (which they have spent time making sure it is) I find it leads to frustration as you don't get that tactile adjustment you need on a competitive run

and whilst I have no played it, I think it looks like the same case here as when he is racing on the wave race he does not have the tight control to avoid those bombs

Just tried Rock Climbing.

What I love about this is that I can still play it without having to move my coffee table. I thought it would make big use of the legs but it pretty much relies on hands only.

I wouldn't say this event feels like a fresh new use of motion gaming or anything like that but it is a lot of fun. The controls are easy and intuitive. The walls I was given to climb early on were super easy though. They only get interesting when you're required to move sideways instead of straight up. When you're headed straight up the event is easy as pie.

I do like the stretch dynamic and how you have to pull down the hand that is holding a rock while stretching to reach the next one. Feels very natural.

Only issue I found was that the game recognized my palm as closed (hand holding rock) when my hand was open. Didn't cause much of a problem though.

After finishing the tutorial for that I was taken to a Store tutorial. There is a good amount of content to buy with in game currency and it looks like it will take a while to get everything.

There is an Xbox Store button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen so there must be something that you buy with real money. Right now that button takes you nowhere.

The first BIG issue I faced with this game was when exiting out of the store. I couldn't figure out how to get back to picking my next event. I was stuck between locker room, leader board and store options in the main island menu and couldn't see a way back to my next event despite the 10th Doctor telling me that was the next thing I had to do.

I shut the game off and restarted. Not sure if I completely missed something or if there is something genuinely missing to get you back to picking events.

Gong to try and get one more event in before heading to the hospital.

Ok, tried Target Practice next.

Yeah, it's essentially PEW PEW PEW but it's fun. Oddly, this is the event that was most pissy about me being behind a coffee table despite the fact that it doesn't require my legs at all.

I only played the Tutorial event but I think once the pace is up this could be a great event. I really liked the numbered panels that you have to shoot in order and the option to steal the other players panels. The dodge mechanic works really well when you're being fired on by turrets. I think in the heat of a proper game with a shit load going on everything should work well.

When I reloaded the game I couldn't find a way to get to the store from the main menu. I could select events but there was no option to access the store or leader boards. I'm completely confused about the connectivity between the events and the store/locker room options. It's like there is a menu option missing.

Maybe I'm completely missing something. Anyone from Rare on GAF?

Also, I deleted the pre season hub, when I launch the game next I want to see if it installs a new hub for the final game because there is some functionality broken there.

It's a week before launch so some of the issues I'm having could be due to that.

Yeah, it's essentially PEW PEW PEW but it's fun. Oddly, this is the event that was most pissy about me being behind a coffee table despite the fact that it doesn't require my legs at all.

I only played the Tutorial event but I think once the pace is up this could be a great event. I really liked the numbered panels that you have to shoot in order and the option to steal the other players panels. The dodge mechanic works really well when you're being fired on by turrets. I think in the heat of a proper game with a shit load going on everything should work well.

When I reloaded the game I couldn't find a way to get to the store from the main menu. I could select events but there was no option to access the store or leader boards. I'm completely confused about the connectivity between the events and the store/locker room options. It's like there is a menu option missing.

Maybe I'm completely missing something. Anyone from Rare on GAF?

Also, I deleted the pre season hub, when I launch the game next I want to see if it installs a new hub for the final game because there is some functionality broken there.

It's a week before launch so some of the issues I'm having could be due to that.

Thanks bunch for the updates.

I'm liking the use of a "hub", since I can see them adding more sports via the hub, such as what they wanted to do with Kinect Sports gems on 360. If they keep adding sports via the hub and make this game "a game as a service" like MS has been spouting for titles like Fable Legends, then I see this game being supported for quite some time. This game looks like it's right up my alley if they start adding lots more sports. I can see this game being supported for at least 2 years with this type of model, without the need to release a new SKU.

EBE

Just tried Rock Climbing...

I wouldn't say this event feels like a fresh new use of motion gaming or anything like that but it is a lot of fun. The controls are easy and intuitive. The walls I was given to climb early on were super easy though. They only get interesting when you're required to move sideways instead of straight up. When you're headed straight up the event is easy as pie...

After finishing the tutorial for that I was taken to a Store tutorial...

There is an Xbox Store button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen so there must be something that you buy with real money. Right now that button takes you nowhere.

The first BIG issue I faced with this game was when exiting out of the store. I couldn't figure out how to get back to picking my next event. I was stuck between locker room, leader board and store options in the main island menu and couldn't see a way back to my next event despite the 10th Doctor telling me that was the next thing I had to do.

I shut the game off and restarted. Not sure if I completely missed something or if there is something genuinely missing to get you back to picking events.

Gong to try and get one more event in before heading to the hospital.
thats unfortunate about the Xbox Store button. it doesnt NECESSARILY mean there are micro transactions, as plenty of games have an option in the menu for DLC stuff, but its not looking good.. still, if its unobtrusive (i never had a problem with Ryse or Powerstar Golf) then it shouldnt be a problem.

rock climbing sounds fun. checked out your gamer profile. already have some achievements i see. nice. youd figure theyd be locked to prevent people from playing early, but it helps builds hype and awareness i guess.

Yeah, it's essentially PEW PEW PEW but it's fun...

Maybe I'm completely missing something...

a little more receptive of target shooting now. videos didnt look super promising, but if the game regularly keeps throwing harder and more skill based challenges at you then i think it should be alright. weird that youd need to move your table. is it especially high up, blocking the kinects view of your hand? or made of glass that would reflect unwanted light?

hopefully the issues you keep encountering are just because the game isnt technically out yet. you did say you received a 900MB patch though... maybe there will also be another day one fix to enable some of the things you cant seem to access

I'm liking the use of a "hub", since I can see them adding more sports via the hub, such as what they wanted to do with Kinect Sports gems on 360. If they keep adding sports via the hub and make this game "a game as a service" like MS has been spouting for titles like Fable Legends, then I see this game being supported for quite some time. This game looks like it's right up my alley if they start adding lots more sports. I can see this game being supported for at least 2 years with this type of model, without the need to release a new SKU.
definitely. i honestly think Rare will be moving on to bigger things after this game ships (heres hoping for something Banjo related). i think theyll absolutely continue to support the game in a similar model as you described. new sports would be welcome.

thats unfortunate about the Xbox Store button. it doesnt NECESSARILY mean there are micro transactions, as plenty of games have an option in the menu for DLC stuff, but its not looking good.. still, if its unobtrusive (i never had a problem with Ryse or Powerstar Golf) then it shouldnt be a problem.

rock climbing sounds fun. checked out your gamer profile. already have some achievements i see. nice. youd figure theyd be locked to prevent people from playing early, but it helps builds hype and awareness i guess.

a little more receptive of target shooting now. videos didnt look super promising, but if the game regularly keeps throwing harder and more skill based challenges at you then i think it should be alright. weird that youd need to move your table. is it especially high up, blocking the kinects view of your hand? or made of glass that would reflect unwanted light?

hopefully the issues you keep encountering are just because the game isnt technically out yet. you did say you received a 900MB patch though... maybe there will also be another day one fix to enable some of the things you cant seem to access

definitely. i honestly think Rare will be moving on to bigger things after this game ships (heres hoping for something Banjo related). i think theyll absolutely continue to support the game in a similar model as you described. new sports would be welcome.

The store button isn't intrusive at all. Nor have I been asked to conduct microtransactions. So far I have been gaining in game currency for in game content.

The included DLC is an Xbox One Day One Edition outfit for each sport and a power up as well. Nothing special. No Battletoads in my copy. :(

With the Target Shooting, my girlfriend complains that our coffee table is too high so I'm going to assume it must be that. It asks if you want to ignore the fact that it can't see your legs and I chose to ignore it and was able to play without any issue. It could definitely see my hands though. The retical didn't seem to match exactly where I was pointing but I was able to adjust without issue.

I can only imagine that shooting gets harder as the tutorial was way too easy and the preview they show for it looks like it has way more going on. I'll let you know when I get a chance to play some more.

Hawk269

Yes, you can create her account and then go into the preferences where it shows her "offline". this way she still logs into Live when she is signed in, but no one will know she is signed in because of the preferences. I recently did this for my Wife and my friend that got a One and his Wife.

Robin64

You can rotate the island map by grabbing it (make a fist) and moving it sideways to see new areas, which includes the store.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The store button isn't intrusive at all. Nor have I been asked to conduct microtransactions. So far I have been gaining in game currency for in game content.

The included DLC is an Xbox One Day One Edition outfit for each sport and a power up as well. Nothing special. No Battletoads in my copy. :(

With the Target Shooting, my girlfriend complains that our coffee table is too high so I'm going to assume it must be that. It asks if you want to ignore the fact that it can't see your legs and I chose to ignore it and was able to play without any issue. It could definitely see my hands though. The retical didn't seem to match exactly where I was pointing but I was able to adjust without issue.

I can only imagine that shooting gets harder as the tutorial was way too easy and the preview they show for it looks like it has way more going on. I'll let you know when I get a chance to play some more.

Is local co-op just single versus matches with the other person? Or can you compete in circuits that include the computer?

You can rotate the island map by grabbing it (make a fist) and moving it sideways to see new areas, which includes the store.

That's what I was trying but the map wasn't going all the way around.

I just played some more and now I have unlocked all the events and everything is accessible just fine. Not sure what I was doing wrong before but everything is working as it should be now.

Played through Soccer, Bowling and Tennis this afternoon.

Despite the small, low lit, space of my apartment's living room I was able to play these three last events quite well. It's not the ideal condition but I still managed to have a lot of fun. When I get around to moving my coffee table off to the side for serious play I shouldn't have any issues.

They've actually figured out a way to make a soccer game that's fun despite the fact that all your position players are stationary. It's a bit like a fussball table with the other teams players moving back and forth while you try to pass through them.

Soccer took the longest to get use to but when I had the gameplay down I saw a lot of potential. This could be a great multiplayer event but you will definitely want the space to play it. I accidentally kicked my PS4 at one point. :/

Bowling is bowling as you remember it. Not going to go into it much but this generally ends up being my go to sport with other people.

Tennis felt fantastic. I had no problem timing my hits on the ball and backhands felt equally as responsive. Since I'm playing everything through first on the tutorial mode the challenge wasn't there but I could see this being a lot of fun.

Is local co-op just single versus matches with the other person? Or can you compete in circuits that include the computer?

I'll check this out later. Hopefully I can get the girlfriend to play.

There is a quick play mode. You can't unlock achievements, XP or coins in this mode but it's meant for quick access to the sport of your choice.

At some point I'm supposed to join one of these clans. Not sure when that will come up. I guess I have to play through the story mode.

For Great Justice.

Top Bottom