• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knock-Knock |OT| From Midnight Till Dawn

iDnHMC2fsQOWf.jpg

Buy Knock-Knock

What is Knock-Knock?

Developed by Ice-Pick Lodge using Kickstarter, Knock-Knock is a 2D horror game where you play as Lodger, who must evade the "Guests" while working towards solving a puzzle that might shed light on the mysteries present. Is the Lodger sane? Are the Guests real? What's going on with the family cabin? Ice-Pick Lodge games very much rely on the player discovering the intricacies of the world they've created, so to say any more would be a disservice to them. From what they've chosen to reveal on the steam page:
There is an unusual cabin deep in the woods. It had served as a laboratory and a dwelling for three generations of Lodgers.

But as of late the latest Lodger has been noticing weird changes in familiar surroundings; things are missing, noises and rattle heard. Something odd is coming out of the woods. Come night, it seems like someone's made himself at home in the twilight of rooms, attics, and cellars.

You need to stay awake and sane till dawn.

The Lodger is wandering the rooms, evading the unknown, counting minutes till morning. But it's only in the night that he can solve the main puzzle and find the answers. What's going on? Are the Guests real, ot are they just figments of his insomniac imagination? What'd happened to the forest? What's happening to the cabin? Is there a line between reality and imagination?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay Details:

Ice-Pick's work drops the player into a world which they are forced to learn the rules of if they wish to progress. NPCs might tell white lies and half-truths in order to get what they wish, mechanics might be far more involved than realized, and so on. These are games in which learning how exactly everything fits together is incredibly rewarding and it's an experience unlike any other in gaming. From Knock-Knock's steam page:

Hide! Play hide-and-seek with denziens of your nightmares.
Don't look now! The goal of each night is to reach dawn while still sane.
Fill in the gaps. The house aids the Lodger. You only have to fix it up and keep it in order.
Seek. The Lodger has lost something very important. The reason for what is happening is somewhere inside. Everything that is happening can be explained, you only need to find the key and bring it to light.
Wait. In this game you need to watch and listen carefully. Inspect and scrutinize. You only have to last until the sunrise.
Follow the rules of the game! Of course you must first understand the game being played with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media:
First ten minutes of the game via neogaf user SlasherJPC

Reviews:

Rockpapershotgun Wot I think

Who are Ice-Pick Lodge?

Ice-Pick Lodge are a small Russian studio located in Moscow with a history of releasing innovative games that that challenge the player with unusual mechanics and an unnerving atmosphere. From attempting to survive the a plague while looking for a cure to becoming acquainted with the rules of purgatory after death, no other studio can compare to Ice-Pick Lodge's combination of innovation in mechanics and well-told, surrealistic storylines.
Pathologic
The Void
Cargo: The Quest for Gravity

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
A confusing and simple OP like this is quite appropriate. Good job, ricochetguro.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Can anyone explain what the 47 Machine is?

The email I got (with activation codes) says: "It's wiser to fire up the Modus once the game is finished. Make sure to read the manual before launch! Try to avoid making typos when writing in the book."

1) where is this manual?

2) what?

epmode

I played this for a while last night. It's really strange and definitely a bit creepy. Good sound effects and art style. THANX KICKSTARTER

The email I got (with activation codes) says: "It's wiser to fire up the Modus once the game is finished. Make sure to read the manual before launch! Try to avoid making typos when writing in the book."

1) where is this manual?

2) what?

You've reminded me of my shame in not contributing to one of my favorite developer's kickstarters. At the time I was more wearisome about the whole process where that's not the case now that so many games have come out of it. It seemed they had some interesting kickstarter specific rewards and typical Ice-Pick playfulness so I'm excited to see if anything comes out of that.

Almost done! It's not going to be stunning because of the quick notice and thread misfire but I'll update as needed. Imagine I can contact any mod about the title?

The_Monk

Take your time with the OT fellow GAFfer ricochetguro. I guess I will be playing this game sooner than expected. Will be giving impressions later on.

Glad to see there is a OT. If you would like to use my video from the other thread I made, feel free. As for this game, hoping to get into it deeper this weekend.

Got the bulk of the OT up, will correct as needed and fix the image formatting as they should be displaying side by side. Not nearly as good in terms of presentation as I had wanted to do but the release was very sudden :D Plus with an Ice-Pick Lodge game you don't want to reveal too much.

Edit: And there we go! Suggestions are welcome, quick effort and even more so because of my mispost.

Now to get back to the game! More impressions from people who have played perhaps? I'm about to start after I get some breakfast and find an image that can be made into a better header.

Awesome, this game is out. I'll buy it as soon as I can. I'm a huge fan of ice pick lodge's games but was low on funds when the kickstarter was going on. Really curious about what this game is all about, but it seems like a good time of the year for it.

The_Monk

I'm playing right now fellow GAFfer, but I just started.

I really like the art style. The colors from the character gives me a little peace of mind when everything else is dark and creepy. The game can go from being relaxing to scary at any second. If you have some decent audio setup (nothing fancy, but a subwoofer will add a lot to the experience, even better if it's near your feet) and you turn it up when someone knocks on door your heart will drop too.

In some sort of way you play hide and seek. This reminds you when you were a child and even if there was nothing in the room it was your mind playing tricks on you. Because "if you don't see it, it's not real" it's okay if you are hiding and they can see you. You are still safe because you close your eyes (while shaking) and hope they can go away.

Light gives you comfort but something may turn them off when you leave to proceed to another room. I'll be sure to make further impressions as I advance more through the game.

The art really is beautiful, the downsized steam screenshots I posted in the OP don't do the game justice. Interested to see how the hiding mechanics affect things as I go along. You can also find things in the woods and as of now I'm not really sure of their greater purpose. Sound design is incredible and unnerving.

As for the lights, they mention that you should turn off lights as it makes your character nervous after some time because he feels people from outside can see him. But I'm not sure if that was only for windowed rooms or what. So there's lots of the typical Ice-Pick lodge vagueness around the mechanics, interested to see how that might turn out.

Anyone else pick up the game and have any thoughts yet? A new Ice-Pick Lodge game should be a much bigger deal! I'm waiting until it's darker to put too much more time into it, too much light on the t.v. at the moment.

Anyone else pick up the game and have any thoughts yet? A new Ice-Pick Lodge game should be a much bigger deal! I'm waiting until it's darker to put too much more time into it, too much light on the t.v. at the moment.

The only thing I picked up from the few minutes I played was it's as weird as any other Ice Pick Lodge game, and I love it. Will it top the Void or Pathologic? Not sure yet, but definitely glad a new IPL game is here.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
still waiting for my key

hyped for this

The kickstarter should of emailed me my key by now, yeah?

Those of you who were in the KS for the game, check your spam folders. I've come across a few people who found their email with the Steam key in the spam folder. Just a PSA.

Been enjoying this game a lot, I love the whispering voices that [spoilers redacted]. It's such a beautiful game, not immediately oppressive like Pathologic or dark and isolated like the Void, yet there's still an undercurrent of malaise. Definitely recommend playing it with headphones and in the dark.

I've played about an hour so far and I'm really enjoying it. So far, I've just been trying to figure out how exactly the game systems work, there are barely any explanations and the story is very cryptic. That's not a criticism at all, I'm enjoying figuring everything out. Also, the animations and art are fantastic and the game is very unsettling and creepy. I would definitely recommend taking the game's advise and playing at night, in the dark.

zkylon

zkylewd
Those of you who were in the KS for the game, check your spam folders. I've come across a few people who found their email with the Steam key in the spam folder. Just a PSA.

Been enjoying this game a lot, I love the whispering voices that [spoilers redacted]. It's such a beautiful game, not immediately oppressive like Pathologic or dark and isolated like the Void, yet there's still an undercurrent of malaise. Definitely recommend playing it with headphones and in the dark.

what's the email supposed to say? I checked my spam folder but can't find anything :/

zkylon

zkylewd
it's amazing how this artstyle looked like beginner dribblings to me in pathologic but with some proper budget and development it now looks really special and with lots of personality

now if they would only hand me mah codeeee

The only thing I picked up from the few minutes I played was it's as weird as any other Ice Pick Lodge game, and I love it. Will it top the Void or Pathologic? Not sure yet, but definitely glad a new IPL game is here.

Whoa.

Whoa. Wait a minute.

This is the company that did The Void?

Holy shit, getting my wallet

Good OT. Although I think the title "2D WTF Horror" from the other thread is even better.

I thought about it, particularly due to the eye catching nature mentioned below your comment, but I felt it was a bit crude for the game. Ice-Pick Lodge are some of the more artistic, thought-provoking people in the gaming industry and it just seemed like something that didn't fit. Title I chose plays into the mechanics of the game using its own terminology and references a somewhat well known horror film. Figured it would do.

Whoa.

Whoa. Wait a minute.

This is the company that did The Void?

Holy shit, getting my wallet

Tell all your friends! Then tell them to buy The Void as well.

UrbanRats

Had never heard of this before, i don't think.
Looks very interesting, and the team has quite the pedigree, to boot.

Played a bit more tonight and its all sorts of mind fuckery. The mechanics are simple enough but damn it makes me feel paranoid. Even after shutting off the game. I felt odd walking around my house in the dead of night. Not sure I'll play it right before bed anymore.

Got my key and spend about 1 hour with the game.

Visuals, lightning effects and sounds/music are excellent, giving the game a very unic feel.
Game mechanics seem quite simple...for the first 5 minutes! After that, the more I've played, the less I could understand what was going on, and I'm saying this in a good way.

Great first impressions, happy I've backed this project.

Jac_Solar

Anyone played Cargo? That game was actually pretty great - it has a creation system where you can create a boat, submarine or plane based on the components. There are very few games that let you do that.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok played it for a bit and it is pretty fucking scary with headphones on

at least for the little girl I am

so far it shows promise and I'm impressed with the art and how scary it is :/

1) where is this manual?

2) what?
man I so wish I'd gotten the $47 reward but I was so broke at the time

Anyone played Cargo? That game was actually pretty great - it has a creation system where you can create a boat, submarine or plane based on the components. There are very few games that let you do that.
yeah cargo was something alright

I can't say I liked it, but it was weird and interesting. like really fucking weird

I really wish they'd do a new translation of pathologic, I hear it's fantastic but I couldn't understand a single word people was saying.

I've only put about half an hour into the game so far but I'm enjoying it. Very creepy atmosphere. Still not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing but that's all part of it. Can't wait to dig into it more.

I really enjoyed Cargo, thought it was kinda underrated. Liked The Void a lot too, haven't played Pathologic, just experienced it through a Let's Play kinda deal. Really curious but also intimidated about trying it now that it's available on GOG.

I've played pretty far now, but I'm at a part where every time I go out the door to try and go outside, I instantly die, and I'm trying to figure out why. O_O

I've played pretty far now, but I'm at a part where every time I go out the door to try and go outside, I instantly die, and I'm trying to figure out why. O_O

I think that has to do with the
white timer running out (the lighting bar that shows up when the huge monster begins hovering over the house. I think that in order to progress past that point, you have to have some of the timer bar left. I ran into the same thing my first play through and I had to start over.

Top Bottom