• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knock-Knock |OT| From Midnight Till Dawn

I think that has to do with the
white timer running out (the lighting bar that shows up when the huge monster begins hovering over the house. I think that in order to progress past that point, you have to have some of the timer bar left. I ran into the same thing my first play through and I had to start over.

Crap really? That sucks :(

I think that has to do with the
white timer running out (the lighting bar that shows up when the huge monster begins hovering over the house. I think that in order to progress past that point, you have to have some of the timer bar left. I ran into the same thing my first play through and I had to start over.

Ahh... I was wondering what that did.
Mine ran out when I was in the last house and I wasn't sure if it did anything. I just kept playing and beat the game.

So I beat the game and got the ending where
the Lodger stays in the cabin and remains hidden
. I think that's considered the bad ending. I wasn't presented with a choice at the end, so your prior actions determine the ending. It seems like there are quite a few variables in the game that affect how you progress. It's going to take some time to understand how they all interact.

mrpeabody

I'm in the
last house, and out of timer, and it seems like the game is unwinnable? There's nothing to do but leave the house, and that gives me a game over.

Honestly the game is pretty tedious to play, so I'm not interested in doing it all again from the beginning.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey OP, is this game on Steam? If not, where can we buy it and for how much?

Looks amazing btw, never heard of Ice-pick lodge.

ViviOggi

This is the only game I've backed on Kickstarter but I haven't gotten around to playing it much yet. What I can say though is that they've done some really interesting things with the shadows and placing 2D assets in an actually 3D environment. Looks amazing in motion, the screenshots make it look more like the typical glorified flash game.

Will be playing more today, glad that it's finally out.

Man, this is one stressful game. I keep on "dying" at stage 3, can't find a place to hide in time. Feeling out the systems like the waiting mechanic is kinda an Ice Pick Lodge thing by now, so am interested to play more. Is there more to the forest other than just going around in circles? Nothing happened, but maybe that's later in the game.

iy7GYjxp7I1W.gif

I love the look, lighting, and sound design. The door knocking, ooh boy.

iixkCyTucQEz0.gif

Is there more to the forest other than just going around in circles? Nothing happened, but maybe that's later in the game.

Yes, listen to the background and shadows in the different layers. You'll find different people that you can merge into

And the purchase link is in the op ;-; Maybe I should make it more obvious.

Really hoping that given this succeeded on Kickstarter that they will use it for a Pathologic remake which they've hinted at. Of course, it'd be nice if they didn't have to use Kickstarter at all but I suppose we'll see how it works out. Hope they keep on doing bigger projects like the Void.

In any case, really looking forward to spending more time with the game this weekend. It's a game I have to play at night and the past week I've been actually going to bed which has prevented me from progressing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Really hoping that given this succeeded on Kickstarter that they will use it for a Pathologic remake which they've hinted at. Of course, it'd be nice if they didn't have to use Kickstarter at all but I suppose we'll see how it works out. Hope they keep on doing bigger projects like the Void.

In any case, really looking forward to spending more time with the game this weekend. It's a game I have to play at night and the past week I've been actually going to bed which has prevented me from progressing.

I would settle for a new translation, honestly

just like 5k kickstarter to pay a translator and be done with it :)

I would settle for a new translation, honestly

just like 5k kickstarter to pay a translator and be done with it :)

Heh, that would certainly be serviceable but I think it'd be nice to have more modern graphics and refined mechanics to go along with it. The Void remains gorgeous(or well, striking) in its own bizarre, creepy way to this day so I'd be interested to see what they could do with Pathologic using modern tech.

If nothing else as you said, put up a re-translation kickstarter and work on something new. Shame that fan translation project fell through years ago, actually seemed hopeful for a bit.

zkylon

zkylewd
Heh, that would certainly be serviceable but I think it'd be nice to have more modern graphics and refined mechanics to go along with it. The Void remains gorgeous(or well, striking) in its own bizarre, creepy way to this day so I'd be interested to see what they could do with Pathologic using modern tech.

If nothing else as you said, put up a re-translation kickstarter and work on something new. Shame that fan translation project fell through years ago, actually seemed hopeful for a bit.

yeah I wouldn't say no to a full-redo, it's just that I think creative crazies like IPL must surely rather do new stuff

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played the game in a few days, but I still can't beat the second level

I'm starting to feel like an idiot

maybe I'll restart it to see if I missed something

I kinda enjoy trying out theories but I wish some of them would come true

the game should probably be a bit more forgiving with the monster damage, so far it's pretty brutal, but that's IPL for you

Anyone else bought the game now that it's on gog and have some impressions? Need to get back into the game, been in a mood the past few days so I haven't gotten back to it because the atmosphere is so strong.

Edit: Added new images, will go through reviews later. Some of the ones I saw that were negative seemed to kind of shame the game for asking you to experiment but I suppose they must go up all the same.

zkylon

zkylewd
so a new patch just rolled out

Good news! We're glad to announce that Knock-Knock supports Big Picture now, so you can play it with a gamepad!

Also, the game has been patched, so several issues are no longer an issue. Here's the list of things that have been fixed:

1. Haunter-related achievements ("Something in the way", "They are legion") are now fixed;
2. clocks no longer fail to turn up when needed, so you won't get stuck without them;
3. endless corridors are no longer bugged, so you're free to explore them as long as you wish;
4. The Lodger now can die in the haunted corridor, like he's supposed to;
5. The "Knowing the flip side" achievement seems to be fixed, but we're not 100% sure, so your feedback is welcome;
6. various minor fixes.

Have fun!

I'm pretty pleased with the game now having controller support, from the start I felt I wanted to play this thing on a controller. also it seems like they're adding a few more clocks for us useless people that keep getting stuck at the second level :p

I need to get a longer headphones cable so I can use them on the couch. In any case, the clock change should help a lot of people continue on with the game. Seemed to be a major stumbling block for many.

Meia

Well, I bought it after seeing the OP and looking at it motion(looked neat), and wasn't sorry I did. I really did like the game, but it is kind of crap about explaining game systems. Hiding never seems to work at all, and I had to research how the holes in the house work as well as some of the sound cues.

No spoiler for the story itself, just for gameplay, so if you don't want to know, don't highlight:

When the camera pans out and zooms on a room, that's where a hole with an eye is going to appear. You have roughly 15 seconds when this happens to get there and fix the light in the room before it appears. If you make it in time, the hole never appears. If you don't, it appears and fixing the room makes you lose like an hour of time(as it appears, a LOUD knock happens, this is what it means). However if you don't, this is what causes the roaming guests to appear(you know you haven't made it in time if you hear one whispering suddenly). They're confined to one floor for the most part, but since they can go through doors, it's hard to do anything on the floor with them. Touching a guest makes you lose like 8 hours(the ghost one makes you repeat the day I think), and fixing a light with a guest currently in the room warps you to a different room and a loss of like 5 hours.

Still not sure how
fragments
relate to anything, or even how to find
diary pages
(got the "bad" ending and didn't pick up a one), but definitely want to play again to find out.

The_Monk

Cross Posting from the Steam Thread with some impressions after playing for some time:

yPPifbMl.png

After some hours I may be somewhat stuck in Knock Knock. The game is not clear on what you must do or how you must do it. It's okay, many games do this and it's nice for us to discover on our own (Dark Souls). However I reached one of the last levels and it seems that if you do not proceed to the next level/room/dream/nightmare whatever you want to call it you may be getting a Game Over screen the next time you will try to advance to the next level just like you normally would do.

Knock Knock have a very creepy and depressive atmosphere. Seems to be a great game to play in the upcoming Halloween. You will always feel that you are surrounded by someone or something, yet, you feel alone at the same time.

Now this is very clever: There are things that really help to create a tense mood in the game with such basic gameplay elements. Let's say something is approaching you. You hide but you are still visible. It's okay, because it does not matter if they can see you since it's you that can't see them because if you see them/it then it means they are real and if you believe they are real, then you must be hallucinating meaning you are losing it.

The game have more than one way to end, or to not end at all, in fact. Depending on some actions across the game, when you proceed further a larger enemy may be something for you and a very different one for me.

Immersion tip: In this game the sound of doors opening and closing are quite regular. If you have a sound system with a Subwoofer, placing the Sub below your desk near one of the corners gives you a much more real feeling that something is really knocking a door in your house. This adds to the atmosphere giving you a more intensifying experience when everything is silenced and then BAM!, someone shuts a door, and you feel the vibration.

In my opinion you don't get those jump scares we sometimes see (faked or not) on Youtube videos from games like playing Amnesia, in this game instead of "AAAH, Oh my God & Buddha, that is scary!!!" I got something more of: "That is creepy... go away, please, I don't want to look :( Just... leave me alone... :( "

With being said a Patch was recently released fixing a couple of issues, some bugs and something regarding a couple of Achievements not unlocking for some people. I can always start a new game, try to get it right this time, try to get a proper ending or see if I will see more fragments of memories that kinda randomly appear on the game or even to see what will appear when I'm near the end, but for now it's on stand-by.

FjJ0OHg.png

allansm

I played 2.5 hours of Knock Knock today and I loved it. I never played something like it before; it's mysterious, enigmatic and oppressive. I felt oppressed and deeply disturbed while playing but the weirdness and madness intrigues me so much that I couldn't put the controller down.

Game is currently on sale for 5 dollars!

Game was voted one of Rockpapershotgun's best games of the year since its been bumped. Reception was a bit muted in comparison to Ice-Pick's other games, but it did come out in a rather busy period sadly so a lot of sites seemed to have ignored it.

Knock-Knock was able to be made thanks to kickstarter and Ice-Pick will soon be bringing a Pathologic remake to the service as well, hopefully people will support them!

zkylon

zkylewd
also it's had a bit of a rebalancing i hear that fixes some issues like being forever stuck on the second night like it happened to me

i should really give this a second go but i'm scared to

Top Bottom