• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei announced a PS3 game (2005)

"Production costs are estimated at 3 billion yen - 28million USD"

Daamn..Especially considering Koei was the same company that didn't like how much Kessen was costing them to make for the PS2 launch.

It's based on an Akira Kurosawa movie, for what it's worth.

"Production costs are estimated at 3 billion yen - 28million USD"

Ouch. Small teams and rookies in the businness will have a very tough generation. That's even first generation software and I don't even want to know the budget for a really major killer app.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
oni05.jpg

BlueLegs said:
1. 28 million USD to make a game
2. Be the best of a lousy bunch of PS3 launch games
3. Profit

fixed

duckroll

Oni is based on a posthumous work of Akira Kurosawa. It will be a cross media project with game software, a movie, music releases, etc. The TOTAL PROJECT budget is 28 million USD. Kou Shibusawa is the general producer and superviser of the game while the movie will be directed by Hisao Kurosawa, Akira's eldest son.

edit: The game will be released in 2006 on the next Playstation console, it will have elements of a strong RPG and Action game, and the story will focus on the activities of the main character who because of his large build and blue eyes come to be called "Ogre (Oni)".

PS2 KID

Bah. Akira Kurosawa deserves it and more. Only 28 million for the game, movie, music, etc? Spend more money please! :D

duckroll

PS2 KID said:
Me too. I hope it's more Samurai 7 (anime) than Samurai 20XX.

That's...... not really saying much. I hope it's more like Seven Samurai (movie) than either of those. THis is actually supposed to be a never-released Kurosawa work as opposed to a reintepretation of one of his existing works, so if it's retarded sci-fi or retarded-fantasy it's going to make alot of people angry. :p

Meier

PS2 KID said:
Me too. I hope it's more Samurai 7 (anime) than Samurai 20XX.

Yeah except no since Samurai 7 fucking blows too. Get this futurustic shit out of here please -- thanks!

Mrbob

jarrod said:
So... how long until Oni Xtreme Legends?

8 months after PS3 launch.

Speaking of Koei again, we need a next gen Dynasty Warriors. The series is great, but it has stagnated on antiquated PS2 hardware. With next gen hardware this series can go oh so much further. The possibilities are so great I can't wait. :D

xexex

Banned
GI.biz

Koei announces PS3 title for 2006 launch
Rob Fahey 10:06 28/10/2004

Samurai movie tie-in becomes one of the world's first confirmed PS3 titles

Japanese publisher Koei has announced one of the world's first PlayStation 3 titles, revealing that it is working on a game tie-in for forthcoming samurai film Oni, which is scheduled for release in 2006.

The game, described as a "historical action" title - a genre which Koei, creators of the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors titles is very familiar with - is being created for "the next-generation successor to PlayStation 2," according to the official announcement.

It's intended that it will launch alongside the theatrical release of the movie - which is already stirring up interest in the film industry, as it is the directorial debut of Hisao Kurosawa, son of legendary director Akira Kurosawa.

Oni (which translates roughly into English as Ogre, and describes a type of malevolent spirit or mythical creature) is set in 16th century Japan and is based on a script by Kurosawa senior, which has been completed by his son.

Along with the production of the videogame, Koei has also been appointed to handle the development of other media opportunities for the franchise, including content for mobile phones, books, music and character goods.

While this will be the first time behind the camera for Hisao Kurosawa, it isn't the first time that he's been involved with videogames - he formerly served in an advisory role on Sammy's recent title Seven Samurai 20XX, which was inspired by his father's classic movie Seven Samurai.

jarrod

Banned
Defensor said:
Is this like the first confirmed PS3 title to be in the works?
First from a known publisher... does this mean the first PS3 game was announced before the first Xenon game?

Elios83

I suppose that the game is only in the planning stages.
Not even emulators exist for PS3 currently.Kutaragi promised a first version of developing tools for the end of Sony's fiscal year (March 2005).

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarrod said:
First from a known publisher... does this mean the first PS3 game was announced before the first Xenon game?
I suppose so. Well, here is the first title to your Xenon/Revolution/PS3 game list.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
jarrod said:
Yay!

PlayStation 3
-Oni (Koei)

Man, the PS3 has some pretty sorry 3rd party support. :lol

WarPig

jarrod said:
When it's got a publisher, I'll add it. :p

Oh, it has to have a publisher? Okay, then that disqualifies Dark Sector and Project Avalon. Bethesda Softworks self-publishers, though, so Elder Scrolls Oblivion probably counts.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
Oh, it has to have a publisher? Okay, then that disqualifies Dark Sector and Project Avalon. Bethesda Softworks self-publishers, though, so Elder Scrolls Oblivion probably counts.

DFS.
Yeah, I'm dropping anything without a solid publisher in at least one market for my sanity (did it with the DS & PSP lists, felt much better afterward). Has Bethesda announced a platform for Oblivion yet though? I know Xenon is most likely, but is it official?

WarPig

The cover of GI claimed next-gen MS and Sony platforms, plus PC. I never read the actual article, though, so that may not be firm, true.

DFS.

Arcticfox

Straying off topic: Though I know Microsoft would never let them make such a niche game, it would be great if Bungie made a sequel to their Oni. I thought it was very fun even with its faults.

WarPig

I'm not sure Bungie could make it, actually. If I recall correctly, Take-Two owns the Oni IP now, like they do with Myth.

DFS.

Arcticfox

WarPig said:
The cover of GI claimed next-gen MS and Sony platforms, plus PC. I never read the actual article, though, so that may not be firm, true.

DFS.
I don't have the magazine, but according to the elder scrolls forum:

"We can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is coming to Xbox 2. Barring any sort of exclusivity deal that may pop up between now and the game's release, it's also coming to Playstation 3. We can guarantee here and now that this is the real deal-the start of next-generation gaming."

WarPig said:
I'm not sure Bungie could make it, actually. If I recall correctly, Take-Two owns the Oni IP now, like they do with Myth.
:( The videogame industry would be so much better if IP belonged to the developer, not the publisher.

Top Bottom