• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF2003 (PS2) New screens of the 3D backgrounds

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Courtesy of MagicBox

Link: http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

There are a few other pics via the link but its nothing we haven't seen already. These are the new ones.

kof03i.jpg

kof03b.jpg

kof03c.jpg

kof03d.jpg

kof03e.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
Looks like a completely different game now. Very impressive, and I hope they add onto the animation while they're at it

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The 3D backgrounds in KoF Evolution on the Dreamcast also meshed perfectly with the sprite art. I don't know from these screens if SNK did the same trick as with Evo, but they matched the resolution of the backgrounds to the sprites. While this made the 3D part of the graphics a bit more chunky, it made everything fit together seamlessly.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Takuan said:
These look awful... I can't even tell they're 3D.

That's the point...it's so that the backgrounds don't make the sprites look so "off" against them. You'll be able to see that they're 3D once the game is in motion though....KOF 2002 is the same way in screenshots.

Looks awesome; there looks to be better backgrounds in this game than KOF Neowave. I hope the Czech Republic stage is still there in 3D form though; I love the look of it when it's the night time version (the city street with all the lights), but these appear to be completely brand new stages (and the older 2D stages should be there as well in the options screen)

BenT

Kaijima said:
The 3D backgrounds in KoF Evolution on the Dreamcast also meshed perfectly with the sprite art. I don't know from these screens if SNK did the same trick as with Evo, but they matched the resolution of the backgrounds to the sprites. While this made the 3D part of the graphics a bit more chunky, it made everything fit together seamlessly.
There's a, oh, 99% chance that they went with high-res 640x480 backgrounds this time, meaning the sprites will thus be line-doubled (pixelated). We'll see, but all of their fighters for the last couple years have run in high-res mode. Which is too bad, cuz it makes their formerly nice 2D art look like junk.

mint

Banned
That first pic reminds me of KOF98, cool.

That said, people to get the point that games like this..its not meant for graphic wows and stuff. Its for one thing and one thing only, 2d fighting. Look up some 3d fighting game if you want to be impressed by graphics.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Have you people that are already whining about the visuals not seen KOF 2002 for the PS2? It looks great; you get high res backgrounds and transparent special move with blur effects, and the sprites don't stand out at all. And if you want the original Neo Geo version, it's in ther etoo; turning off arranged options puts the game back to normal. KOF 2003 is going to be the same way, except that this time SNK Playmore is adding an arranged soundtrack and the option to play in the classic 3-on-3 style. I cannot wait to get this game. :)

Top Bottom