• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krispy Kreme to Pay New CEO $760/Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...5&u=/nm/20050124/bs_nm/leisure_krispykreme_dc

Struggling doughnut chain operator Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. (NYSE:KKD - news) said on Monday it will pay its new chief executive, Stephen Cooper, the standard hourly rate of $760 charged by his financial consulting group.

Krispy Kreme last week replaced former CEO Scott Livengood with Cooper, who is chairman of Kroll Zolfo Cooper LLC and most recently oversaw the dismantling of scandal-ridden Enron Corp. (Other OTC:EONPQ - news)

The company also said in a regulatory filing it will pay Steven Panagos, its new president and chief operating officer, at the hourly rate of $695. Panagos is the head of Kroll Zolfo's restructuring practice.

0_ó

keiichi

Days like these... said:
That figure sounds stupid. Anyway executives are salaried or at least they should be
Wait... are you saying that you're happy that he isn't making 1000+ per hour OT just because he's salaried? I'm sure whatever stock incentives they give him will make him feel better about it.

I might be bitter because I'm salaried and don't get paid OT :(

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
And yet I would've done the same job for payment in doughnut form alone. Screw you Krispy Kreme, this ship has sailed!

Being a CEO is hard, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress. But should their salary be THAT many times higher than that of normal workers? Isn't it Ben and Jerry's that has a cap on CEO salary? Something like it can't be more than 75x the salary of the company's lowest paid worker or something like that? I think I remember reading it about them, when they were having trouble finding a qualified CEO who would accept such a low salary...

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
keiichi said:
Wait... are you saying that you're happy that he isn't making 1000+ per hour OT just because he's salaried? I'm sure whatever stock incentives they give him will make him feel better about it.

I might be bitter because I'm salaried and don't get paid OT :(

No I'm just saying it sounds odd. it's a strange way of stating what he is getting paid. We're all out there grindin' more power to him wish i was making that much

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
A CEO getting paid through the ass? Oh the shock and awe.

Loki

Count of Concision
Here's an interesting article on soaring CEO compensation (and the larger issue of our runaway economic stratification) and its social effects.

Needless to say, I don't agree with everything on that website (after all, I've never been called a "radical leftist" :D), but this is pretty much spot-on imo.

Fifty

Krispy Kreme is struggling? Serves them right! They don't have a single location in downtown Toronto (where they would make a killing) and their only locations are in the far reaches of the suburbs. They deserve to be punished for that decision.

explodet

Fifty said:
Krispy Kreme is struggling? Serves them right! They don't have a single location in downtown Toronto (where they would make a killing) and their only locations are in the far reaches of the suburbs. They deserve to be punished for that decision.
There are a couple of kiosks downtown (Richmond-Adelade building and BCE Place) - it ain't the same as the fresh stuff, but it's better than nothing.
One time I ate six of them in a row and had to swear off them for a while because of the heart attacks. :D

If this is a situation like most, he isn't some guy on the inside who's sucking the shareholders dry. He was employed for a salary that roughly what they expect he'll bring to the table. Often the "ROC" (return on ceo ;)) is intangible. They make crucial decisions all the time and the corporation is banking on the probability of him making the best decisions - which in this case has justified the given salary.

The decision to employ him for that given wage is what the board of directors determined to be in the best interest of shareholders. That is the criteria by which they judge an acquisition/contract, unless there's some serious shady business going on (which doesnt seem to be the case here).

To those saying that such a salary is somewhat justified since of the importance and risk of the job- How come they get paid vast amounts when they get the golden handshake for doing an inadequate job?

Thanks

Loki

Count of Concision
Abba:

That's a somewhat spurious argument that's typically advanced by pro-business types. Now, it may or may not be the case here (I dunno), but I'd advise you to check out this pdf for a critique of current CEO compensation schemes as well as prevailing corporate policy (such as oversight and internal regulation of such compensation) in these matters.

I'm not interested in a debate on this; I just wanted to get something from the "other" side out there. :)

Phoenix

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Fresh Krispy Kreme Donuts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other donuts.

Not-Fresh Krispy Kreme Donuts are unfortunately worse than many donuts though. Once that sugar batter cools off, you might as well eat some sugar packets - paper and all.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
in case you guys aren't aware, their new CEO is actually a consultant from a major management consulting firm. Hence the hourly wage. It's not really that big. I remember back at the peak of the economic boom for IT guys were doing consulting work at $500 an hour. And these were people only 2-3 years out of college.

edit: And yes, the CEO will have to fill out a timesheet and submit it just like every other consultant.

That's a somewhat spurious argument that's typically advanced by pro-business types. Now, it may or may not be the case here (I dunno), but I'd advise you to check out this pdf for a critique of current CEO compensation schemes as well as prevailing corporate policy (such as oversight and internal regulation of such compensation) in these matters.

It's not an argument. It's an explanation. Within the system of laws that we have coupled with the prevailing status quo, that level of CEO compensation is (assuming no fraud) in the interest of shareholders. Whether lower level of CEO compensation would be in the interest of society as a whole has nothing to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom