• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA-GAF, you OK? The, uh, the Hollywood Hills are on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda surprised there isn't a thread about this yet considering there's a decent chunk of Gaffers in the area.

Los Angeles Times said:
Brush fire near 101 Freeway spreads to 18 acres, prompts voluntary evacuation in Hollywood Hills

More than 200 firefighters battled a brush fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon and swiftly spread to 18 acres, authorities said.

The blaze was reported about 3 p.m. near the northbound 101 Freeway and Cahuenga Boulevard, according to Margaret Stewart, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The grass fire tore through moderate brush on a hillside near the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre and pushed toward San Marcos Drive, a ribbon of homes in one of the city’s most exclusive neighborhoods. The blaze sent a plume of smoke that was visible in Los Angeles, Burbank and surrounding communities.

More at the link. As of 6pm it was 50% contained, they had to completely shut down the 101 Freeway. Here's a pic from Twitter:

CnwuaAPUAAAG8oD.jpg

I was driving into Glendale around the time the fire broke out, going south on the 5 (the other side of the hill from the fire, for those not familiar with the area) it looked as if the Hollywood Hill was erupting. I heard reports that the Hollywood Sign had burned down but I can't find any proof yet. I just took the trash out and it's 8:30pm and still hot as hell, remembered the fire and came to see if there was a thread about it yet. Searched "hollywood fire" and found nothing.

Hope everyone is ok!!!

Is this still burning? Today in Burbank there was ash and smoke everywhere, but by 5:00 the worst had seemed to be over. When I came back into Hollywood I could see the burned hillside but it didn't look like it was actively burning.

Is this still burning? Today in Burbank there was ash and smoke everywhere, but by 5:00 the worst had seemed to be over.

I'm looking for more info, I'll update the OP as I find it. less than 3 hours ago it was 50% contained so hopefully it's out but as someone who lives in Burbank it might as well still be going, my throat was burning a little from all the ash in the air when I took out the garbage a bit ago.

Sawneeks

Banned
This sand fire is enormous.

1400x788

Santa Clarita area fire grows to more than 22,000 acres; 14 Freeway closed in both directions

The brush fire raging in the rugged mountains in the Santa Clarita Valley has burned more than 22,000 acres, threatening hundreds of homes as firefighters battled Sunday to keep the fire from spreading.

Fueled by 20 mph winds and hillsides carpeted with tinderlike chaparral, the wildfire was burning in hills toward Acton by late Sunday afternoon. Hundreds of residents were ordered to evacuate.

Mandatory evacuations were still in place Sunday for about 1,500 residents in parts of Sand and Placerita canyons, as well as for others along Little Tujunga Canyon road.

So far, 18 structures have been destroyed and another damaged in the Bear Divide and Sand Canyon areas, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. One fatality has been reported, but it is not yet clear if it is fire-related.

The 14 Freeway in the Santa Clarita Valley was closed in both directions late Sunday afternoon as a precaution because of strong winds and the fire, authorities said.

The northbound lanes of the freeway, from the 5 Freeway to Santiago Canyon, and the southbound lanes, from Avenue N to Soledad Canyon, have been closed to traffic, according to the California Highway Patrol. It was not clear when the freeway would be reopened.

Just as an FYI to anyone planning on using the 14; don't. Not sure how this is affecting the 5 at all but the main road here that is being used as a detour ( Sierra Highway ) is all backed up.

This fire is really bad, worst I have seen in years around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom