• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Shurs

Larson Conway said:
Dude, I wish

At least you are being transparent.

Larson Conway said:
I'm not sure where this is coming from. All OTs are threads and are therefore easily open to facilitate discussion. I'd like to know what you think particulary makes the thread (or the other OTs) looke like PR pieces -- that they present comprehensive information?

They look like PR pieces with their fact-sheet rundowns of games. I also don't see the point in promoting Avatar items and Themes while linking back to Xbox.com for easy purchase. I guess maybe I've just had enough of these comprehensive Official Threads in general, yours just happens to be the latest.

Larson Conway said:
EDIT: And on the point you raised that I acknowledged someone from SE/Eidos, I only thanked Keir for promptly responding to my headsup that I wanted to make the OT for which he offered to give me logos/other info I needed, which I didn't. Seems I should be more careful acknowledging people.

I guess I'm wondering why you need to contact a company to tell them that you're making an OT on a message board in the first place? I mean, if you didn't need anything from Square-Enix, why contact them at all?

Will most likely grab it on release week for PC, otherwise I'll just wait for it to hit an inevitable sale on steam with the dlc.

It sounds like Trine: Tomb Raider

Shurs said:
I guess I'm wondering why you need to contact a company to tell them that you're making an OT on a message board in the first place? I mean, if you didn't need anything from Square-Enix, why contact them at all?
Uh, for the customary 'arrangement' of knowing who's gonna make the OT? Avoiding the possibility of making a duplicate thread. I'm not sure though why this should be such a big deal. And it seems the idea of OTs in general rubs you the wrong way, maybe you should reconsider going over an OT OP so you won't annoy yourself?

Gowans007 said:
Also will Larson Conway make a cameo in this game? ;)
Too bad he's dead, Gowans. He's dead and gone. :(

derFeef

Do not listen to the haters, Larson. Epic OT is epic
There is no measurement which game "deserves" such an OT or not.

Shurs

Larson Conway said:
Uh, for the customary 'arrangement' of knowing who's gonna make the OT? Avoiding the possibility of making a duplicate thread. I'm not sure though why this should be such a big deal.

Talking to a developer about making an OT on GAF is customary?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hmm, will by from Steam. Not sure how soon though, but it definitely won't be before the DLC is released.

Shurs said:
At least you are being transparent.

They look like PR pieces with their fact-sheet rundowns of games. I also don't see the point in promoting Avatar items and Themes while linking back to Xbox.com for easy purchase. I guess maybe I've just had enough of these comprehensive Official Threads in general, yours just happens to be the latest.

All valid points. It reads closer to 'PR ejaculate' than 'fan-made excitement'.

Nothing new though. We crossed that line years ago.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Very nice OT. Being a huge TR fan, I can understand why you would put this much effort into it. I'm day 1ing this from Steam and can't wait.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't wait for this. Going to get the PSN version.

Which reminds me, I really need to pick up Underworld and finish up Anniversary. :lol

Shurs said:
Talking to a developer about making an OT on GAF is customary?
Shurs, the guys isn't a developer, he isnt the company either. He's the community rep. And yes, coordinating with people who might also be doing an OP for the same game is customary. Being he's the community person around here, what do I have to lose to make sure spending an hour or two on Photoshop for the OP won't be wasted when someone else magically puts up an OT?

Stallion Free said:
Very nice OT. Being a huge TR fan, I can understand why you would put this much effort into it. I'm day 1ing this from Steam and can't wait.
High five!

TheSeks said:

Which reminds me, I really need to pick up Underworld and finish up Anniversary. :lol
Between Underworld and Anniversary, Anniversary all the way. You SHOULD finish up Anniversary; Atlantis is bound to frustrate you.

fernoca

Shurs just let it go.
Many users around here spend more time than others on making their 'OTs" and is not the first time that users from here, contact the developers/publishers/etc. either on making threads or other things.

Plus, that kind of exchange should be through private messages, not to drag the (quite awesome) thread. Geeze. :lol

Zozobra

fernoca said:
Plus, that kind of exchange should be through private messages, not to drag the (quite awesome) thread. Geeze. :lol

QFT

Totally sold on this game. I really like that concept art as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Larson Conway said:
Between Underworld and Anniversary, Anniversary all the way. You SHOULD finish up Anniversary; Atlantis is bound to frustrate you.
I had heard some serious rage about Atlantis before playing Anniversary, but it didn't end up frustrating me as much as I thought it would. I only failed the room of the wall grapple a couple times, but I can definitely see it getting frustrating if I had failed a couple more times.

Curufinwe

The worst thing about this game is having to hear American game journalists call it Laura Croft. You would think they would have learned how to pronounce the character's name properly in the past 15 years.

Dynoro

TheSeks said:

I only played a bit of Anniversary; but really enjoyed Underworld seemed to strike a chord with me and never let up on the stunts and admittedly easy puzzles. I even grabbed the DLC but it was over way too quickly for my liking (given the price)

fernoca

Curufinwe said:
The worst thing about this game is having to hear American game journalists call it Laura Croft. You would think they would have learned how to pronounce the character's name properly in the past 15 years.
Well, that's not excluisve to "american game journalists'. Heck ,the original name of her was like Laura Cuz so is not like they are that far or crazy anyway. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dynoro said:
I only played a bit of Anniversary; but really enjoyed Underworld seemed to strike a chord with me and never let up on the stunts and admittedly easy puzzles. I even grabbed the DLC but it was over way too quickly for my liking (given the price)
I wish they would release the DLC for PC, just throw them together and call it an expansion or something :(

eshwaaz

Curufinwe said:
So, so true. Despite some serious missteps in the series, Lara is still one of the biggest, most recognizable characters in video game history. Seeing her name still being misspelled is embarrassing.

I'm looking forward to Guardian of Light, but I hope the single-player is solid. I just don't care for co-op games.

Dynoro

Stallion Free said:
I wish they would release the DLC for PC, just throw them together and call it an expansion or something :(
It is a shame for the non-360 owners to miss the DLC; especially as the second involved playing as a different character and brought a bit of a twist to the standard TR formula in the use of powers.

Nizz

Nice job with the OP, OP. :D Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider games will always have a special place in my heart. Haven't played many of her recent games (well, I played through most of TR:Anniversary) but I've always liked the character plus the exploration.

This looks like a nice little change of pace for the games. I'm not much of a fan of co-op but I definitely want to play through the single player. I'll have to wait till Sept. 28 though...

Curufinwe said:

Um... How is her name supposed to be pronounced?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lumine said:
Does anyone know if the Steam version will have local co-op? I hope they won't remove it. :(
It should, it's not even splitscreen and all of the Lego games have kept their 2p ability on PC (very similar gameplay to this).

We Are Ninja said:
Um... How is her name supposed to be pronounced?
Lair-uh.

Wow great OP Larson I didn't expect that coming into the thread.
I missed that latest trailer somehow but I have to say the co-op looks way more fun than I remember. I am going to have to give this a shot.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Holy crap! That's an awesome OP. Great stuff Larson.

For those that are interested, I'm running a couple of community days at Crystal Dynamics in the next week.

If there's anyone in the SF/Bay Area who'd like to play the game early, meet the team and have some free grub, let me know. We're based near Redwood City. The days are from 3pm onwards on Friday the 13th of August and Monday the 16th of August. If you're interested drop me a PM.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Larson Conway said:

Oh, I have Anniversary DD/Legend DLC, I'm up past
Rome and Peirare
, which is like the third act of four, I think?

In any case, not a bad game for nostalgia tripping but I kinda prefer the Core original as it doesn't fuck with my sense of the levels. :lol

Adam J.

This looks really good, but I'm uninterested in the co-op. I'd like to play it SP, but it sounds to like that campaign may be gimped. What do you guys think?

Adam J. said:
This looks really good, but I'm uninterested in the co-op. I'd like to play it SP, but it sounds to like that campaign may be gimped. What do you guys think?
It was emphasized time and again by CD in interviews that the SP campaign will feature slightly different level design, and Lara will also be able to use Totec's spear, which is essential in traversing the environment.

On a different note, GM review is out. It's not allowed to link to scans, is it?

TripOpt55

A couple of good reviews so far. Nice. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm going to wait for the PSN version though I'll definitely try the XBLA demo when it comes out. I'm surprised how cool I think this looks because I was kind of meh about it when it was first announced.

legbone

i am looking forward to this one. don't know why but when i first heard about it and saw some screens i was like "meh". but it just keeps growing on me. after reading the game informer article my hype has reached a moderate bubble. i really hope this ends up being the best game of the summer of arcade.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I will buy this immediately in order to get my 400 MS point rebate, but then I'll probably wait until the Live co-op is enabled to play it.

eXistor

I'm not much of a Tomb Raider fan, but this looks hot. I'm definitely getting this. It's like Dark Alliance with Lara Croft.

Decado

Love this part of the summary:

"combat requires aiming at enemies and shooting until they are dead, then moving on to the next enemy"

:lol :lol :lol

FrankT

miladesn said:
Gameinformer
9/10
review is on site now.

Hmm, well I guess my new 1600 point card will come in right on time then. This was pretty much a lock for my second SOA title until the whole co-op thing. This may have redeemed that.

tjohn86 said:
Did the QL get taken down? That goes to starcraft 2 now.

Yea, what happened here.

Top Bottom