• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the OLD party, Halo.......

Pakkidis

First off its about time I can post on these boards, for the last few months I couldn't for some reason. Anyway, I finished Halo a few months back (on my PC) and I just couldn't see what all the super hype was about. The biggest killer for this game was the repeating environments, there were just some levels that seemed like an endless loop, like the designers made 3 rooms and just looped them over and over again. Out of all the levels only 3 really stand out, and the only name I can really remember is the catographer(?) I think that was it. The funny thing is, when someone interviewed one of the developers for HALO 2 they said the biggest problem with Halo was the repeating environments.

Probably one of the best aspects I found with the game was that every gun was balanced, and the fact that you could only carry two added alot of strategy to the overall game in addition to some pretty amazing AI and some cool vehicles too.

Overall, it was a great FPS game, however I think the overhype for this game led me to a general disappointment, If this title wasn't a launch title for Xbox I have a feeling it wouldn't have recieved nearly as much press as it did.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Halo was getting game of the show honors from several sites and mags along with MGS2 at E3 2000 before Bungie was even bought by MS.

I used to watch the trailer all the time after that e3... it wasn't just because it was a launch title, it's because it was a damn good game.

Mrbob

The funny thing is, when someone interviewed one of the developers for HALO 2 they said the biggest problem with Halo was the repeating environments.

Well, you have to remember, the Halo that ended up being on Xbox was done in like 9-12 months time. Halo 2 has rectified the repeating enviroment syndrome from the first game.

Sysgen

Halo is all about the AI, the story, the vehicles, the graphics, the presentation, the overall experience. Not enough for you? If you know your Halo histiory you would know that the game was torn down and rebuilt in a year in order to meet the Xbox launch. Yea, it's got some repeating levels and the last level has slow down from hell but the game gets the job done and it gets it done amazingly well. It's easy to nitpick. Give credit where credit is due.

If this title wasn't a launch title for Xbox I have a feeling it wouldn't have recieved nearly as much press as it did.
Bungie needed the Xbox as much as MS needed Halo. A perfect marriage.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sysgen said:
Halo is all about the AI, the story, the vehicles, the graphics, the presentation, the overall experience. Not enough for you? If you know your Halo histiory you would know that the game was torn down and rebuilt in a year in order to meet the Xbox launch. Yea, it's got some repeating levels and the last level has slow down from hell but the game gets the job done and it gets it done amazingly well. It's easy to nitpick. Give credit where credit is due.

Wtf? He IS giving it credit. He said it was a great FPS, but it's nowhere NEAR the level that everyone makes it out to be.

Sysgen

GaimeGuy said:
Wtf? He IS giving it credit. He said it was a great FPS, but it's nowhere NEAR the level that everyone makes it out to be.

After nitpicking he gives credit. Big fucking deal. It was amazing they even made the launch.

Sysgen

He trivializes the game which is his right to do. Only don't tell me his post is giving it credit.

I like you but your fucking ugly. Like the credit I give you?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just finished playing Halo on the Xbox like a week ago, while I agree with you’re opinion I think it’s the multiplayer aspects of Halo that make it an AAA title not just the single player game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sysgen said:
He trivializes the game which is his right to do. Only don't tell me his post is giving it credit.

I like you but your fucking ugly. Like the credit I give you?

"Overall, it was a great FPS game"

Damn it, he SAID IT WAS GREAT. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT? Why are you getting so defensive about Halo? I mean, jeez. He says it's great. He points out the flaws, and you act all like he's not giving it credit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Replaying Halo right now on lengendary

Nooooooo I just got to "The Library"

Worst level ever.

Sysgen

GaimeGuy said:
"Overall, it was a great FPS game"

Damn it, he SAID IT WAS GREAT. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT? Why are you getting so defensive about Halo? I mean, jeez. He says it's great. He points out the flaws, and you act all like he's not giving it credit.

I want blood and then I want you out of my face :)

Gregory

Banned
I love all the people that has just played the game then says it is overrated. Well, it`s almost 2005 now, maybe you should have checked it out in 2001. Ofcourse it doesn`t seem all that 4 years after. What game does?

thorns

Banned
The "nobody would care about halo if it wasn't on the xbox" argument has been beaten with a club, ran over by a train and burned in the fires of hades several times. so long, junior.

Gregory said:
I love all the people that has just played the game then says it is overrated. Well, it`s almost 2005 now, maybe you should have checked it out in 2001. Ofcourse it doesn`t seem all that 4 years after. What game does?
Yea, I think he just ended the argument.

AniHawk

Gregory said:

Gaming really hasn't changed a whole lot in three years, especially on the Xbox. For the single-player game, I can't really see what would limit the player due to issues with the medium or whatever.

Top Bottom