• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazlow Jones: “GTA 6 has a lot to live up to, Vice City was so accurate I could use it as a map to get around real-life Miami”

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
XSDZoZZZ5EuSS73knMT8s5-1200-80.jpg.webp

Speaking to comedian, actor, and radio personality Dan Soder on his podcast, Lazlow Jones the Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption veteran recalls a press trip to Miami to promote GTA 4 that was made all the easier not because Jones has visited the city before, but because he helped create GTA: Vice City.

"Me and this guy who worked at Rockstar are driving, and I go, 'This is starting to feel really familiar,'" he says. "I go, 'If we go around this corner, there's a strip club.' Went around the corner: strip club. I was like, 'Yo! I know how to get around town.'"

Now, you might think the achievement isn't that impressive – I imagine Miami has heaps of strip joints – but it's not the first time it's happened. As we previously reported, one professional footballer said playing GTA 5 made his move to Los Angeles easier because he already knew his way around. Uncanny.

Dating Couples GIF by BuzzFeed

StereoVsn

Vice City was by far my favorite GTA game, followed by 4 with the DLCs.

The other games just didn’t do it for me. But Vice City’s storyline, 80’s Miami, music and visuals meshed just right.

I expect GTA VI to be of course decades ahead of Vice City in visuals and yet not come even close “in the feels”.

Plus I have a feeling Rockstar DEId the shit out of the game since it’s what large western publishers do now days.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member

The other games just didn’t do it for me. But Vice City’s storyline, 80’s Miami, music and visuals meshed just right.

I expect GTA VI to be of course decades ahead of Vice City in visuals and yet not come even close “in the feels”.

Plus I have a feeling Rockstar DEId the shit out of the game since it’s what large western publishers do now days.
Nostalgia will do that

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Do we know if he is involved with 6? If not, a major element of the humor aspect of these games (which contributed massively to my enjoyment of this series) will be painfully absent and this won't be a real GTA to me.
Nah, neither are the Housers. All the original people who made these games great seem to have abandoned ship since GTA 5.

Edit: Never mind, one Houser is still there.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Speaking to comedian, actor, and radio personality Dan Soder on his podcast, Lazlow Jones the Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption veteran recalls a press trip to Miami to promote GTA 4 that was made all the easier not because Jones has visited the city before, but because he helped create GTA: Vice City.

Now, you might think the achievement isn't that impressive – I imagine Miami has heaps of strip joints – but it's not the first time it's happened. As we previously reported, one professional footballer said playing GTA 5 made his move to Los Angeles easier because he already knew his way around. Uncanny.

Him, benzies and Dan houser not being there does make me worry.

But I also feel they probs already did most the heavy lifting before they left. I imagine most of gta6 was already written before they left (not benzies since he bounced before rdr2)

So unless they've done the complete nuke option (which i don't see dei hires doing, they aren't good at their jobs as we all know) I think gta6 will hold out and still be great. I do forsee it being a buggy launch though, just the nature of what hiring these types of people bring to your product.

Last edited:

RickMasters

No it wasn’t. Stop the cap! I’m in Miami all the time.

Edit: that said…. GTA 6 a seems to capture the vibe of modern Miami in the way vice city did 80s Miami….. but don’t ever kid yourself and think it’s anything like a 1:1…. You will fuck around end up in the wrong part of dade county. 😅😅🤐

And if you don’t have wet willys in your version of south beach…. A bag of rappers and half naked girls outside… No G5 strip club…. With D- boys throwing black bags full of 1 dollar bills on some strippers….. it’s not Miami. 😅

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Animated GIF

I never cared about him or most music in GTA games. Only VC and SA nailed it.

True Crime Streets of LA was actually a more accurate LA than GTA V or San Andreas as far as the map navigation goes (I grew up in LA and I worked on this game as a QA tester back in the day). However the visual representation and land marks were done much better in GTA V and San Andreas. They are also much better games obviously.

RPSleon

If rockstar wants gta 6 to be another game that they can monetise for 12 years, then im convinced that they are very aware of the current downturn dei games are taking. They surely have to have people there dedicated to watching and predicting such trends for the longevity of their games.

I dont think theyll force characters that dont make sense for the sake of inclusivity. My guess is if those characters are in the game theyll make sense to the story and setting. R* is pretty unapologetic about how they want to make games, and its always worked.

They dont let anyone pressure them, they wont even talk about their game until they want to. They arent gonna let twitter decide what should be in the game.

Lupin25

Vice City and San Andreas in a 2 year span was a major spoil back in the day.

Lazlow & Dan Houser both left in 2020, so clearly they had involvement with gta 6 since pre-production (directly after Red Dead 2)

This is it though, sadly.

Last edited:

Aesius

I had just been to LA for the first time about two weeks before GTAV came out. Stayed with friends who lived off of Sunset Blvd behind the Laugh Factory. It was wild being able to drive around in-game and know where I was going just from being in the city for a week.

How about you shut your big mouth Lazarus..

Last edited:

Dr Cowley

Neo Member

Been saying for years O&A did more entertaining game talk than the actual gaming podcasts.

Also, Ant is the character Chef and sings the Pisswasser song on the radio :messenger_sunglasses:

alot less involvement from the O and A guys on 5 I think. Loads of people from that crew are in IV, east side Dave makes an appearance on the radio in 4 :eek:
I'd be surprised if ant does the song for 6, his voice is sounding fucked now :( poor nana

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not sure if i got it roght, but I don't give a fuck about the city being super accurate and being used as a map tbh, take all the liberties you want to create a fun map instead.

Catphish

They need to step up their parody/satire game. V was ham-fisted and crude, particularly the radio spots. Good satire is subtle and intelligent, and lets what it's making fun of do all the work.

If DEI bullshit is present, or if they're afraid of offending people with those sensibilities, it's fucked.

It needs to come after everything, and everyone, in equal measure.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Did Vice City have the signs saying not to stop for broken down cars as it's a trick for car jacking, by the airport like the real life Miami does?

Been saying for years O&A did more entertaining game talk than the actual gaming podcasts.

Also, Ant is the character Chef and sings the Pisswasser song on the radio :messenger_sunglasses:

Man, I forgot that O&A were in some of those games. I've subscribed to Compound Media for a while now. I know Ant has his controversies in the past but holy shit the dude can riff like no other. He's just so effing funny.

Top Bottom