• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

papluh

As a kid I remember having a split storage rules. All the nice (and at that time expensive sets) - airport, harbour, gas station, mini post office, mini hospital ... had to be packed separately after the play.
And then there was a lot of the universal Basic bricks and supplementary sets (roofs, windows,...) plus mixed bricks given by family. These were free to mix. We had red and blue such storage case closed by baseplates (really like those, see pic), one of the bigger basic set's box with plastic sorter and a big bucket to put them all in. Organization was up to ourselves and evolved over time.

Back to present. I'd say to keep the display sets intact - the ones made primary for display - those are the Creator Expert models, top SW models, Ideas and such. All the CITY , small SW, Creator, ... I'd consider as material for mixing.
To be honest, even a 5y old can make better buildings than the part and cost saving ones from LEGO if he has 2-3 spare sets. Maybe not some of the more complex vehicles, but the simple ones too...

Pic for old time's sake
3936.jpg

Haines

Banned
Thanks guys.

I'm going to mix the smaller sets and just keep my nice sets for display.

Storage is going to have to happen soon to. Going to check out the useful stuff

ghostmind

The Thanksgiving and Christmas seasonal sets are available now from LEGO stores and S@H.

I'm waiting 9 more days for 2xVIP and the LEGO VIP promo set.

wetwired

Lighting makes SUCH a difference! Amazing stuff... what kinda lights are you using for most vignettes there? I really need to get into that sort of thing more to spruce up my display sets hmmm...

All of them are LED Strips with the exception of the little LED bulbs underneath the fires/torches in the lazarus pit.

To colourise them I just put coloured cellophane around the LEDs. I'll probably eventually buy some coloured strips as they colours on those are more vivid

I just added on the mandibles too. I had to take a break after that I’m having concerns if my desk is even big enough to continue building on at this point.
I pulled out my 3x6 folding table just for this. The Falcon is at the point I don’t want to pick it up or move it until the weight is more balanced. After dinner I start bag 9.

Bag 10 of Falcon done. Yeah, about that last step. You have to either slide the Falcon about half way off the table, or lift it to slide the underside gunner station in. That was a bit tense.

Ponn

Banned
The Thanksgiving and Christmas seasonal sets are available now from LEGO stores and S@H.

I'm waiting 9 more days for 2xVIP and the LEGO VIP promo set.

Same. Basically going to order all the seasonal sets including train station to get the promo.

Toys R Us didn't have an ad today but I see TLBM Bricktober set is going to start next week with purchase of $50. Does anyone know if that's one per person or not?

Agreed. I took my youngest to see it yesterday and while it was enjoyable, the whole thing was super "meh".

If you told me Garmadon was voiced by Will Arnett I'd believe it.

Yeah, “meh” is an actually way to described it. Looks like a glorified tv special. Spoiler tags just in case:

I know it is a father and son story, but all other characters are underdeveloped. The meta cat is fun but also underused. Plus the story does not tie with the live action scenes, the kid has bully problems, not father issues.

Also.... the backstory from Garmadon and Lloyd’s mother different in the trailers or am I remembering it wrong? In the trailers it seems that they met before Garmadon started his supervilain career (there is even a line like “he said that he wants to conquer the world, I did not think that was literal” or something like that) and in the movie they met in the battlefield as she was a warrior princess from the good side, they join forces, later she quit and Garmadon dreamed of doing the same but never did it,

ghostmind

Same. Basically going to order all the seasonal sets including train station to get the promo.

Toys R Us didn't have an ad today but I see TLBM Bricktober set is going to start next week with purchase of $50. Does anyone know if that's one per person or not?

It usually is one per person, but I’ve seen TRU bend the rules in the past.

Again, if anyone ends up with an extra, I will be looking for one, as I am travelling on Friday.

TRU has no ad information about those exclusive minifigure sets on their website. Google comes up with nothing informative either. If TRU doesn't market better, they may go bankrupt.
sarcasm

Seems like The BrickFan is the only source I could find that states is starts in the U.S. this week.

October 1-7: Ninjago (5004938)
October 8-14: The LEGO Batman Movie (5004939)
October 15-21: City Jungle (5004940)
October 22-28: Minifigures (5004941)

Must get the Batman set.
Ninjago and Minifigures sets are possible if I can find other sets worth paying MSRP.

Koren

All of them are LED Strips with the exception of the little LED bulbs underneath the fires/torches in the lazarus pit.

To colourise them I just put coloured cellophane around the LEDs. I'll probably eventually buy some coloured strips as they colours on those are more vivid
I'd suggest looking into neopixels, with not much work, you can have interesting effects.

Will definitively do it with the Falcon, if only for the engines (but unstable lighting fits the Falcon well to :) )

_Rob_

Pic for old time's sake
3936.jpg

I still have one of these! I'd totally forgotten what the packaging for it was, but I was always impressed at the idea of base-plates serving as the lids!

My trigger finger is itchy, but I seem to remember hearing that there was a double VIP week on the 10th; does anyone know if this is true for EU/UK too?

So we had a sort of disaster with the Falcon last night. Needed to start adding the plating to the bottom of the set, no clue what the best way to do it was, and through various means, it kinda fell. Casualties were minimal, as the clip on bit under the thrusters was the only big break. Had to repair an interior doorway, and it took me 30 minutes to find out where the last piece went, but needless to say, called it quits after that. Starting bag 9 tonight, figure I'll be done by Wednesday at this rate.

So we had a sort of disaster with the Falcon last night. Needed to start adding the plating to the bottom of the set, no clue what the best way to do it was, and through various means, it kinda fell. Casualties were minimal, as the clip on bit under the thrusters was the only big break. Had to repair an interior doorway, and it took me 30 minutes to find out where the last piece went, but needless to say, called it quits after that. Starting bag 9 tonight, figure I'll be done by Wednesday at this rate.
The clip on bit under the thrusters sag a bit, and I had to make sure I wasn’t putting pressure on the side studs as it wrapped around.
For the underside plating, were you flipping the Falcon over or reaching under to attach? Only thing that wouldn’t slide under to attach is the gunners station. That was terrifying to line up since you have to lift the ship over it.

And side note, when you attach the top mandible plating, make sure to snap it onto the blue studs near the front. They don’t call it out in the manual to secure it there too.
Is that NYCC exclusive or regular retail?

ghostmind

The clip on bit under the thrusters sag a bit, and I had to make sure I wasn’t putting pressure on the side studs as it wrapped around.
For the underside plating, were you flipping the Falcon over or reaching under to attach? Only thing that wouldn’t slide under to attach is the gunners station. That was terrifying to line up since you have to lift the ship over it.

And side note, when you attach the top mandible plating, make sure to snap it onto the blue studs near the front. They don’t call it out in the manual to secure it there too.

Is that NYCC exclusive or regular retail?

It’s the exclusive. I think LEGO is going to piss off a lot of people with this, myself included.

Yeah I was trying to pick it up and do it but lol it didn't work out. Finally moved the Falcon to a separate table than the one I'm building on and added them under. This shit is so much more intricate than I'm used to. I'm having a lot of fun, nothing really boring yet. I feel like if the back is easy to disassemble I might do the mod to the thrusters someone in here did earlier. I don't like how the tubing isn't perfectly symmetrical and tends to sag a big in spots.

willp2003

Yeah adding the sections to the underside of the falcon was horrible. I ended up getting a hoodie or two and just turning it upside down and placing it on the hoodies. A couple of bits fell off, but managed to find where they went. I'm just waiting on some LEDs and another bricklink order so I can start tinkering again.

Love the Nutcracker freebie, it actually makes me want a large, full sized nut cracker set.

Need to think of $100 of LEGO I want in order to get this one. (Milano, Arc de Triumph, and at least one more thing...).
NYCC exclusive:

FpTg6sp.jpg
All the good ones are exclusives. :(
These two, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman (hopefully we'll get WW with the Justice League ones) and a few others I've wanted were all exclusives.

The only officially released ones I like are Hulk (love his bulky arms), and the Beauty and the Beast set. The recent Ninjago ones are meh, the wide released Marvel ones are mostly too simple (like Iron Man and Captain America, I would prefer a Hulkbuster Iron Man personally), the LEGO Batman ones are fine (Robin's the only one I like), and Captain Jack sparrow was OK but who cares about the villain from the latest movie? (they should have done Davy Jones, or half man half skeleton Barbosa from the first movie).

I'll hold my judgment, but I dont have much faith in the upcoming Last Jedi Brickheadz (if it's just Rey, New Emporer dude, Finn, or Kylo Ren, I don't think they'll look that good).

Ponn

Banned
I just want my Spider-Man BrickHeadz. I dont care about Venom, but they cant hold Spider-Man hostage forever.

Still waiting on freaking Superman and WW so yeah, don't hold your breath. I was pretty into Brickheadz at first but that went downhill super quick when the exclusives outnumbered the retail releases. Can't recommend them at all now.

My memory is hazy but doesn't Lego have double VIP on brick Friday? Why is it the weekend before? Know they like spreading stuff out. They probably don't want people getting double VIP on joker Manor too.

DonShula

Diabolical timing of promos this month.

I need to go get that Thanksgiving set now.

Still waiting on freaking Superman and WW so yeah, don't hold your breath. I was pretty into Brickheadz at first but that went downhill super quick when the exclusives outnumbered the retail releases. Can't recommend them at all now.

My memory is hazy but doesn't Lego have double VIP on brick Friday? Why is it the weekend before? Know they like spreading stuff out. They probably don't want people getting double VIP on joker Manor too.

Makes more sense for them not to have double VIP on the biggest shopping day of the year. The people will come regardless.

I was about to get the water strider but decided against it so I could put that money towards the fire mech since I have the parts to mod it with knee articulation. Gotta stay strong.

(Also if you're wondering about my avatar I lost a bet in the rick and Morty thread)

I was about to get the water strider but decided against it so I could put that money towards the fire mech since I have the parts to mod it with knee articulation. Gotta stay strong.

(Also if you're wondering about my avatar I lost a bet in the rick and Morty thread)
You have Green Mech Dragon already, right?

Top Bottom