• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG TVs start showing ads on screensavers

Shtef

LG TV owners may have already spotted the ads or learned about them via FlatpanelsHD, which today reported seeing a full-screen ad on the screensaver for LG's latest flagship TV, the G4. “The ad appeared before the conventional screensaver kicks in," per the website, “and was localized to the region the TV was set to.” (You can see images that FlatpanelsHD provided of the ads here, here, and here.) The reviewer reported seeing an ad for LG’s free ad-supported streaming channel, LG Channels, as well as third-party ads.

This is stupid, everyone is super aggressive with ads, i am not sure how long this will last.

Last edited:

calistan

Here's how to turn it off.

Ovoh3Rt.jpeg

Mistake

On my Samsung TV, the advertising on the startscreen got bigger and bigger until enough people complained and it is now just a small window. I have not found an option to turn it off yet
I would have taken that back day 1. My start screen should only have what I want on it.

We're going to see a large push in ads everywhere. I say this because I lived it. Over in China it's basically ad hell. Unless consumers return products or complain enough, it will happen faster than you think

Last edited:

calistan

On my Samsung TV, the advertising on the startscreen got bigger and bigger until enough people complained and it is now just a small window. I have not found an option to turn it off yet
You can block the ads on a Samsung by adding various domains to a blacklist in your router. Check online for the current list.

I used to do that on my old Netgear but haven't been able to since moving to a new router supplied by my ISP, which doesn't seem to support that feature.

Quasicat

My LG has the original firmware and it still looks amazing. I have an Apple TV for streaming so I have no need for the ads or anything extra they add to it.

It’s pretty gross, it would be different if they made the tv cheaper… but they sure don’t.
TV's are actually basically the only things which have been constantly getting cheaper, even when everything else was inflating to the Moon

And the reason why TV's are so dirt cheap compared to literally everything else is because of all the ads

Bojji

TV's are actually basically the only things which have been constantly getting cheaper, even when everything else was inflating to the Moon

And the reason why TV's are so dirt cheap compared to literally everything else is because of all the ads

Oleds aren't cheap at all.

Trogdor1123

In no way am I an expert in supply chains for tv but my understanding is that TVs were getting cheaper mostly due to the tech for panel manufacturing changing drastically in the last few years massively increasing efficiency and reducing price. I could easily be wrong but I think tv margins are larger than they were a decade ago.

Regardless, TVs are pretty much the only thing going down in price, I agree, and as a consumer that’s really all that matters.

Dr.Morris79

LG really fucks me off even having to 'sign in' to update apps

Yea yeah, 'Everyone does it you old bastard'

It still fucks me off. This just takes the piss. This TV was fucking expensive, I don't want adds! Why are we even paying for this?! :messenger_unamused:

Peter303

LG really fucks me off even having to 'sign in' to update apps

Yea yeah, 'Everyone does it you old bastard'

It still fucks me off. This just takes the piss. This TV was fucking expensive, I don't want adds! Why are we even paying for this?! :messenger_unamused:

You have to 'sign in' to a TV!? Well, that's another reason for me to not buy another tv.

Dr.Morris79

You have to 'sign in' to a TV!? Well, that's another reason for me to not buy another tv.
To update the apps aye. I literally only use mine for gaming, or YouTube. Had an annoying 'update' for YouTube keep bugging me, I'd had enough and went to update..

'You need to sign into your LG account first..'

Ffs.

Trilobit

Yeah, I can turn off all ads on my B2. But once it's not possible, fuck you LG, I will never buy your product again.

I will have to think about not installing future firmwares, so far they only added useless stuff and almost all the bugs from day 1 are there. Useless fucking cunts.

I didn't know that they would be able to top the awfulness of Trumotion with Promotion.

Top Bottom