• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Spotify is quite good for playing music although it doesn't handle Ogg Vorbis or FLAC. It's fairly lightweight and the search is faster than anything else I've tried.

Goggle Music Manager has that foobar2000 feel, so good.

If that's not fast enough you should instead look for some user made packages (the ppa's), but never use AMD's scripts on an actual production system. This is most likely the cause of your breakage with Ubuntu, and will happen again with Linux Mint when a new kernel version is pushed to the repositories.
Thanks, that was informative.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Goggle Music Manager has that foobar2000 feel, so good.

DeadBeef is basically Foobar for Linux. Check it out! Btw make sure you are using the latest version from the web as it fixes things.

I personally haven't found it to be buggy.

PS: Next version of Ubuntu hits this week. I've been accused of being an Ubuntu shill though so I'll probably not be making a thread this go round.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of music, more Gnome Music stuffs!

Screenshot-from-2013-04-20-194024.png

Screenshot-from-2013-04-20-193930.png

Screenshot-from-2013-04-20-194108.png

Looks HAWT.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
To me it looks more like a WMP knockoff but I guess it's dependent on what you've used the most, lol.

The biggest thing it has going for it is simplicity, looks great and isn't overloaded with 100 gimmicky functions on screen.

b0b

Neo Member
updated my box and got gnome 3.8

where should I start?
it looks good and i don't have this weird flickering and graphic artifacts then starting gdm and switching from gdm to the actual gnome session. dats gud

Highlights for GNOME 3.8 include:

A redesigned application launching view, which makes finding applications easier than ever.

in fact - it doesn't. i can see their problems with "categories" - it does get messy if you have A LOT of programs installed - but it's also fact that "groups" aren't working properly right now. in fact the gui-based group-management-tool wasn't finished before release so it was completely left out. WELL DONE! jee, it took me some time to figure out how to actually create groups - alacarte and dconf-editor. and it has some other backslashes, too.

for now you can click&hold an app-icon but you can't do anything with it besides of dragging it to you "dock" (the workspaces pane does not appear either in that mode). you can't sort them, you can't properly group them. maybe it will be possible some day, but it makes the handling in 3.8 just worse than in 3.6. if the intended way of function isn't implemented yet, why merge it to your big release?

btw it's a shameless rip-off of apples "groups" on ios...

why copy all the touch-based interface designs? gnome won't be on touch-devices anytime soon. it's too heavy and gtk3 doesn't get the attention it needs. (if i would develop a cross-platform gui based application i wouldn't use gtk3 for sure)
i don't like ios-groups btw

oh
and i still can't choose whether i want my background centered, zoomed or whatever...

Enhanced search, with an updated search results view and new controls for results.
New privacy settings let you contol who has access to the content on your computer.

both are fine

A new classic mode for those who prefer a more traditional desktop experience.

didn't tried it. and honestly i don't care either, just let it die. xfce is working better as "traditional desktop experience" than this one.

Improved animation rendering, resulting in smooth transitions and window resizing.

didn't really felt this one. same as before for me.

A new Clocks application, which provides world clocks for different time zones as well as alarms, a stopwatch and timer.

+ weather application
and it has to be a joke. both aren't even worth mentioned in a "Big News", as they are both very simple (you can't even switch to celsius instead of fahrenheit).
and i don't want to start a weather application. i liked the "weather"-extension sitting in my upper bar, showing me the actual temperature and one simple nice icon. If i want so see more i click it to see more information. of course the extension isn't working anymore with 3.8. it tooks some month for it to work on 3.6. so every gnome version breaks extensions. gnome isn't firefox there you can put stuff like this - it's much bigger and distributors takes months (~ 4-6) or even years (debian :) ) to adapt...
the "extensions"-support as it is right now simply sucks

epiphany (aka "web") supports flash now. why? why now? 11.2.x is the latest version linux got. security fixes are released from time to time but that plugin is simply horrible. it's running much much much worse than on windows. it doesn't matter how good your hardware is, it's just *adobe*-bad. just let it die

after all - it's not a bad release. i like gnome 3. i'm fine with it. but it could be sooooo much better already.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The one thing I don't like about Gnome 3.8 is they changed the alt+tab to be more "traditional" right when I got super efficient with the "old" way.

Leucrota

elementary OS is not as lightweight as I want/need.

Will be giving Lubuntu a try next week when the semester ends. Anyone else have any recommendations?

1.73 GHz Dual Core Intel Processor
1 GB of RAM
From like 2006. :(

zoku88

Will be giving Lubuntu a try next week when the semester ends. Anyone else have any recommendations?

1 GB of RAM

I'm not really familiar with *buntu distros, but here is what I would do.

1) Install distro of your choice
2) Install a window manager of your choice (awesomewm, i3, openbox.)
3) Just the above, don't use a DE.

That will probably be the lightest weight solution. DEs are heavy in general.

Massa

Personally I prefer a weather application, I don't need that information always visible as it's nothing but a distraction. That said the Weather application is still in "preview" mode in 3.8, one of the first features they've already added for the next release is a preference dialog for setting the units used... but that said, it should detect the correct setting for your locale. If it didn't it's most likely a bug - what language do you use on your system?

Epiphany now supports Flash because they switched to WebKit2. That support comes basically for free with this version, as plugins now run on a separate process (that's what was stopping Flash from working before in GTK+3 versions of WebKit1). Maybe they'll support the Pepper plugin system eventually, but I honestly hope Flash just dies already. As an aside HTML5 videos work great in Epiphany.

Lol, yup. Though to be fair, the concepts for it have been pushed around long before 11 released.

Also, less crap than Itunes which needs it's storefront :p

Yes, iTunes is complete crap nowadays. It used to be such a great and simple music app, hopefully that's what they'll achieve with the GNOME one.

1 GB of RAM

That machine doesn't sound bad at all. If it uses Intel graphics you should be able to comfortably run a modern GNOME or XFCE based desktop on it.

Leucrota

I honestly don't even know what that means. What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? Is a window manager hard to control?

Lubuntu is specifically geared towards running on older hardware.

Polari

1 GB of RAM

Lubuntu's pretty great. Has a few odd bugs from time to time, I'm guessing because it doesn't have a whole lot of resources behind it, but apart from that I definitely recommend it. Crunchbang is another one you might want to look at.

Massa

I honestly don't even know what that means. What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? Is a window manager hard to control?

A desktop usually provides more services than a simple window manager - for example, the ability to recognize and properly mount a USB key when you insert one, things like that.

Polari

Yeah ignore that advice. Lubuntu is easily minimal enough for the hardware you listed and much more user-friendly.

1 GB of RAM

LXDE should be plenty fast enough. Your problem would more likely be the apps. Run a lightweight web browser, for one thing. Do all your productivity apps on google drive instead of running a hoggish spreadsheet and word processing app (or use Siag and Pathetic Writer). Turn off any file indexing dæmon that tries to sneak into your computer.

In my opinion, memory and I/O are your biggest potential enemies. If you can spare the change to add even just another gigabyte of memory or replace the hard drive with a small SSD, I suspect you'd notice a big difference.

A window manager is like a desktop environment except that it just handles the minimum necessary stuff, like controlling where windows go and giving you a title bar and often providing virtual desktops. Usually the launcher is very very basic (like windows 95 basic, which is frankly still rather good even compared to today) if it exists at all, and there are no other fancy features, like file indexing or widgets or global keyboard shortcuts.

Leucrota

That machine doesn't sound bad at all. If it uses Intel graphics you should be able to comfortably run a modern GNOME or XFCE based desktop on it.

The thing CHUGS on Vista, which it came installed with, and is not playing to kindly with elementary OS, which is in Beta, granted.

Maybe if I use a more stable distro, I will not have problems. I just don't want to change before school is out.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
With 13.04 coming out I'm getting excited to fresh install, but also worried because I haven't done it in a while; and fear that I'll royally screw up my system.

Joy!

So besides Unity, in 13.04 does Gnome 3.8 come with it as a desktop environment or do I have to update it from 3.6?

freddy

Banned
The thing CHUGS on Vista, which it came installed with, and is not playing to kindly with elementary OS, which is in Beta, granted.

Maybe if I use a more stable distro, I will not have problems. I just don't want to change before school is out.
On a PC like that Lubuntu or a prebuilt arch distro with Xfce or LXDE Desktops will fly. They usually top out at around 200 MB ram usage. One of the problems these days for older computers is not finding a lightweight OS. You will find when you run into problems will be when you try to run the latest and greatest web browser from Mozilla, Google and co or a shiny music player that has 3 different storefronts open at once by default.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser-lightweight.htm

Check out some of those browsers and see if they suit your needs.

itxaka

Defeatist
wow Andrex, I tried Fedora 18 with gnome and it's kind of cool. Still not working as good as it should but at least its fast, its nice, doesn't get in the middle.

Some horrible Fedora things:

- 520Mb of updates. Like seriously?
- Software store...kind of crappy to be honest. Yum works perfectly thougth.
- Graphics installer...jeeez, why won't they make it easier?
- Icons still fucking suck. They should come with some new ones because they are crap crap and low res. I want crisp icons!

freddy

Banned
Also I have to say Ubuntu is now off my list for the foreseeable future. I thought I'd mistakenly installed Amazon OS. Unity is still a mess and Compiz seems to have regressed over the last few years as well.

I gave up on the install completely and went with a minimal CD and Gnome 3.8 and that seems to have come a long way from when it was first introduced. It still took a bit of messing around to get the all import transparent task bar but with Nautilus managing the desktop, it's almost bearable now. For every day use though I've found nothing to top Xfce as desktop environment.

freddy

Banned
Trying out Manjaro Linux and I have to say it's easily one of the more polished distros out there in terms of installer and user interface. Mint flavoured across all the desktop environments sitting on Arch. The Pre-installed steam was a nice surprise. It auto detected graphic card installed the latest drivers and let me resize the swap file during install as well.

Edit: However the usual hassles with Arch and updating the mirrolists occurred again and left me with error messages that needed googling so I could update. Poor form.

Polari

wow Andrex, I tried Fedora 18 with gnome and it's kind of cool. Still not working as good as it should but at least its fast, its nice, doesn't get in the middle.

Some horrible Fedora things:

- 520Mb of updates. Like seriously?
- Software store...kind of crappy to be honest. Yum works perfectly thougth.
- Graphics installer...jeeez, why won't they make it easier?
- Icons still fucking suck. They should come with some new ones because they are crap crap and low res. I want crisp icons!

- You'll get the same level of updates after first installing with most distros this long post-release
- Yeah it blows. A new solution is being worked on by a Red Hat developer for GNOME more broadly.
- First release with that installer. It had already held up the release date so much they just had to get it into a state where they could ship. Will be vastly improved next time around apparently.
- I don't really understand what you're on about. I think most of the icons in the UI are vectors anyway.

itxaka

Defeatist
- First release with that installer. It had already held up the release date so much they just had to get it into a state where they could ship. Will be vastly improved next time around apparently.

Not with the installer sorry. The installer was pretty good actually. Except the partition manager, which was less intuitive than fdisk. OMG what were they thinking?

I meant the graphics card installer for propietary drivers. Is inexistent. If you want your distro to be more mainstream you need to facilitate some things and graphic drivers are one of the most important thing nowadays.

Polari

Not with the installer sorry. The installer was pretty good actually. Except the partition manager, which was less intuitive than fdisk. OMG what were they thinking?

I meant the graphics card installer for propietary drivers. Is inexistent. If you want your distro to be more mainstream you need to facilitate some things and graphic drivers are one of the most important thing nowadays.

Ah OK. Yeah Fedora isn't the most user-friendly of distros. It's a strange beast in the sense that the main reason it exists is to provide a testing ground for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution. As such there's not as much of an impetus to fix things that would normally be handled administrator-side like driver and software installation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

75bs7Dh.gif

Edit- Speaking of Gnome, some cool stuff from a recent hackfest. Most importantly, the file picker is now actually like Nautilus. FINALLY

places-sidebar.png

Also, they've been adding Gnome 3-ish widgets to GTK+ proper (they had been in libgd):

(WebM video)

PandaL

Trying out Manjaro Linux and I have to say it's easily one of the more polished distros out there in terms of installer and user interface. Mint flavoured across all the desktop environments sitting on Arch. The Pre-installed steam was a nice surprise. It auto detected graphic card installed the latest drivers and let me resize the swap file during install as well.

Edit: However the usual hassles with Arch and updating the mirrolists occurred again and left me with error messages that needed googling so I could update. Poor form.

The Manjaro team post everything in the forums. So if you're stuck with something, please check the forums. :)

freddy

Banned
The Manjaro team post everything in the forums. So if you're stuck with something, please check the forums. :)

It's all good and besides that forum, I think Arch is one of the most documented distros out there, so it wasn't something that was a real problem, just an annoying thing. In Arch I can live with it, but in a distro designed for ease of use, it was a disappointment to see the same problems I had a few years ago. Especially since everything else went so smoothly.

Anyway, besides that and a couple of problems with AUR programs interfering with pacman, I highly recommend this distro. Its a very nice looking and easy to use install of Arch if you want to familiarise yourself with pacman and Arch.

itxaka

Defeatist
Any one of you jabronis gonna make a new thread for the Ubuntu release this week?

It should be you, as usual!

Even thougth, I don't know if thisw release deserves one. I been there since the start and there is not a lot more different.

Like some icons are different, and ligthdm is nicer and nautilus kind of suck but apart from that...I can't think of anthything that different.

Mint 14 KDE edition has sold me on changing all my machines, except for the gaming beast, to Linux forever.
Does no-one here use KDE? God, its just fantastic, especially with the Search & Launch desktop layout enabled. It should be standard for Mint, instead of that dated-looking MATE, and incomplete mess that is Cinnamon.

With the Steam client and netflix-desktop working great i'm never switching back to Win now.

I use KDE quite extensively, largely because I like being able to mold a desktop into something that suits me rather than mold my behaviors into what the developer thinks I should be doing. Other options seem comparatively rigid in what they allow you to do.

I have not, however, tried out the specific layout you're referring to. That's the one made for tablets and such, isn't it?

Mint 14 KDE edition has sold me on changing all my machines, except for the gaming beast, to Linux forever.
Does no-one here use KDE? God, its just fantastic, especially with the Search & Launch desktop layout enabled. It should be standard for Mint, instead of that dated-looking MATE, and incomplete mess that is Cinnamon.

With the Steam client and netflix-desktop working great i'm never switching back to Win now.

I like KDE4 a lot but something feels off about it. I can't quite figure out why I don't want to use it as my main DE but I've been using it a lot more recently to mess around and compared to the earlier releases it's pretty damn awesome. I used to use KDE2 over everything else back in the day, but switched to GNOME when KDE3 came out.

Could you elaborate on Cinnamon being an 'incomplete mess'?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It should be you, as usual!

Even thougth, I don't know if thisw release deserves one. I been there since the start and there is not a lot more different.

Like some icons are different, and ligthdm is nicer and nautilus kind of suck but apart from that...I can't think of anthything that different.

People were saying I was some sort of Canonical/Ubuntu shill so I just figured I should pass on the thread.

b0b

Neo Member
skip the Ubuntu Thread and make one for Debian. Wheezy (7.0) will be finally released next week. Thats far more important then another buggy Ubuntu release :D

if you have old hardware - this

is the right answer. it doesn't really matter if you use ubuntu, debian, arch, fedora or whatever - performance wise there is little to no difference. just use something lightweight as your desktop environment. KDE, GNOME (2/3), MATE etc aren't lightweight. XFCE isn't. LXDE is the first one that I would call lightweight, but I don't like it, so...

There are openbox, icewm, jwm and some other more traditional managers but i prefer tiling window managers myself.

awesome wm is a great choice. just don't expect the same experience like with other wms or desktop environments. tiling window managers are completely different. if you "gets" it you will love it. I use awesome on my machine at work, at home i have awesome and gnome 3 installed. awesome is very configurable but you have to a lot manually (the config file are simply lua code, so it's nice if you already know lua...).

Personally I prefer a weather application, I don't need that information always visible as it's nothing but a distraction. That said the Weather application is still in "preview" mode in 3.8, one of the first features they've already added for the next release is a preference dialog for setting the units used... but that said, it should detect the correct setting for your locale. If it didn't it's most likely a bug - what language do you use on your system?

my systems locale and interface are utf-us, but i'm in europe - i just don't like the translations for my native language (i prefer english in terminals, logs, error, gcc messages...). my computers at work are set to us-english as default (international institute)...

i'm not a fan of too much information on the desktop too. besides of gnome-defaults i had only two - temperature sensors (for testing purposes, not daily use) and the weather. it would be nice if the new weather application would offer this feature...

Epiphany now supports Flash because they switched to WebKit2. That support comes basically for free with this version, as plugins now run on a separate process (that's what was stopping Flash from working before in GTK+3 versions of WebKit1). Maybe they'll support the Pepper plugin system eventually, but I honestly hope Flash just dies already. As an aside HTML5 videos work great in Epiphany.

yeah. epiphany isn't my default browser so honestly i don't really care about it's future. i have the default gnome programs (epiphany and evolution) installed. at least you see some progress on epiphany - it's fine and fast, html5 runs good - so it's usable. evolution is still slow, hard to see any progress here

Massa

Well, while GNOME 3.10 isn't out with the stable version of Weather that will offer a graphical interface for setting units you can do it manually with dconf-editor. The keys you need to change are in org.gnome.GWeather.

The Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Scorpionfish. Not.
Thursday, April 25th, 2013
Congratulations and thanks to the entire extended Ubuntu community for today’s release of Ubuntu 13.04, the Raring Ringtail. Feedback over the past few months on raring has been fantastic – pretty much universal recognition of the performance and quality initiatives Rick’s team have lead and which have been embraced across the platform and the community.

In the work to underpin a rolling release, we made huge strides in automated quality assessment and performance testing. From here on our, I’m going to treat the cutting edge of Ubuntu as a rolling release, because the team have done such an amazing job of making daily quality a reality. That’s a value that we have all adopted, and the project is much better off for it.

Slipping the phrase ‘ring ring’ into the codename of 13.04 was, frankly, a triumph of linguistic engineering. And I thought I might quit on a high… For a while, there was the distinct possibility that Rick’s Rolling Release Rodeo would absolve me of the twice-annual rite of composition that goes into the naming of a new release. That, together with the extent of my travels these past few months, have left me a little short in the research department. I usually spend a few weekend afternoons doodling with a dictionary (it’s actually quite a blast, and I recently had the pleasure of actually knowing what some ponce was talking about when they described something as ‘rugose’).

So today I find myself somewhat short in the naming department, which is to say, I have a name, but not the soliloquy that usually goes with it!

Which is why, upon not very deep reflection, I would like to introduce you to our mascot for the next six months, the saucy salamander.

The salamander is one of nature’s most magical creatures; they are a strong indicator of a pristine environment, which is a fitting way to describe the new world emerging around Ubuntu Touch – new applications, a new SDK, a gorgeous clean interface. You’ll find salamanders swimming in clear, clean upstreams – which is exactly what’s forming around Ubuntu’s mobile ecosystem. It’s a way of saying ‘thank you’ to the tremendous community that has joined the effort to create a single unified experience from phone to PC, with tons of crisp and stylish core apps made by people from all over the world who want to build something fast, fresh and free. And we’re saucy too – life’s to short to be stodgy or stilted. Our work is our play – we make amazing things for a huge audience, we find space for pretty much every flavour of interface and do it with style.

Happy release day everyone! Here’s to a super saucy cycle.
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1252

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
New Gnomey goodness!

Contacts:

Character Map:

Web Apps:

Cheese:

Transfers:

No Title Bars:

Allan Day said:
So what’s the story with the close buttons?

Those of us who work on GNOME design have been pushing to reduce the presence of window titlebars for some time. The main driver for this is to use screen space more efficiently. The average titlebar includes big swathes of empty space, and they take up valuable vertical pixels. We’ve already seen the result of this direction in our treatment of maximised applications, where the titlebar is hidden.

Now that Wayland and client side decorations are on their way, we are able to realise our ambitions for screen efficiency even further. So far we have only been able to hide the titlebar when windows are maximised. In the new world of Wayland, windows can permanently lose their titlebars, whatever state they are in. Not only that, but they can also present window controls – like the close button – inside the window itself. This means that we can consistently show the close button on the right side of the toolbar, whether the window is maximised or not.

One of the drivers for my recent application design work has been to test out this approach to titlebars in an array of different contexts, and me and the other designers will continue to examine how it will work in different applications as we move forward.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You still running regular Ubuntu with Gnome installed or are you running the Gnome remix now?

The former, I'm lazy. It does make certain things a bit lamer though, like two update systems, two online account settings screens, and Software Center has some hard to read text.

Massa

The former, I'm lazy. It does make certain things a bit lamer though, like two update systems, two online account settings screens, and Software Center has some hard to read text.

I believe those are issues with the Gnome remix as well, it's a result of the lazy-ass job Ubuntu did of forking Gnome. Hopefully it'll be fixed eventually.

Top Bottom