• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

b0b

Neo Member
Not quite sure. I want to learn a language... any suggestions? What's a fairly easy language for beginners?

easy to learn:

go with python and maybe lua

if you really want to learn programming - dig into C. if you're when still on it and want to look at object oriented programming - look into C++. object oriented programming can be pure evil and it's actually hard to get it right.

every programmer should at least know what a null-pointer(-exception) is imho. the most java-coder i know don't... (or they simply don't care to actually handle them)

if you program on linux, just use a text editor and look into writing makefiles. if you progress further you can consider using a IDE (i can't recommend you one through) or move to cmake. i personally hate it. you should at least get the idea how this is working. and maybe (i hope so ;) ) you will get to the conclusion that writing *good* makefiles is the best way to go :D

On a side note do any of you Linux users feel safer, happier, maybe vindicated etc... for using Linux now that all of the PRISM stuff leaked about the US Government surveillance?

Do you actually feel more secure than say using Windows or even OSX? Do you even care? Do you think using Linux is even really a benefit in cases like this?

PRISM like operations aren't new.

I feel pretty safe, yes. I'm aware that there is no 100% safety (it never is if you connect to the net), but I'm pretty relax when it's about the safety of my box. I don't compile the packages nor do I read every single peace of source-code for the software running on my box, but I trust the FOSS-developers way more than i do proprietary-software-devs. I don't use facebook, twitter etc. some of my email-addresses are on private-servers (= I'm pretty sure these are fine and not read by the goverment etc), others are on free-mail-providers (I'm aware these could be accessed by 3rds, so i'm not using them for really private and work-stuff). I'm not using cloud-services nor do I register everywhere i see a "register"-button. Never using my real name. or my real birthday. Still - if they want to create a profile of me, I'm sure it'll be pretty accurate. You can try your best to keep it as little data about you as possible but you can't completely avoid it. I'm not from the US and mostly don't use US-located-services.

-> the internet-services I'm using aren't safe whatsoever. I'm aware of that. But I do trust in my own box

@freddy
about firewalls:
most windows-firewalls are closed-source so you can't be *really* sure what it's actually doing. they can have their own backdoors like every other kind of software

please name some windows firewalls you had in mind

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the advice on the programming! I appreciate everyone's help. I decided to use Code Academy for now to learn Python and hopefully I'll stick with it. After that, I'll try coding on the desktop and probably in an IDE.

Also a while back I wrote about how I had to fresh install Ubuntu 13.04 because I tried to upgrade to Gnome 3.8 from 3.6 and it ate up my system instead.

Well, I still wanted to try Gnome 3.8, so I decided to install it. I think I'll use this over Unity for quite some time now.

oOBvVO7.jpg

freddy

Banned
@freddy
about firewalls:
most windows-firewalls are closed-source so you can't be *really* sure what it's actually doing. they can have their own backdoors like every other kind of software

please name some windows firewalls you had in mind

Never using my real name. or my real birthday. Still - if they want to create a profile of me, I'm sure it'll be pretty accurate. You can try your best to keep it as little data about you as possible but you can't completely avoid it. I'm not from the US and mostly don't use US-located-services.

I'm not sure what you're getting at though. It was a minor point I made about firewalls having functions that can block software from phoning home but there's also nothing stopping Symantic, Eset, Comodo, etc from mining your data as well. And as I said processes like svchost are doing whatever they are doing and you need to allow these through firewalls anyway.

My point is Linux is no better than Windows or Mac from protecting anyone from Data mining if the vendor wants to get your data. Even if you find a safe distro your browser(and every addon) and your isp are also filtering everything you do. And then you have servers like cloudfront and akamai which almost everything passes through. Overall though, yes, I would trust most Distro developers more than Microsoft and Google.

Like I said though I'm much the same as you in that I do my best to keep my head down on the net and stay anonymous because I think every little but helps.

O.DOGG

GAF, I'm facing a dilemma.

I'm trying to set up a new web server after my old one croaked and I'm redoing the configuration from scratch. It's a Fedora 18 box.

I'm using Samba to upload files to the web server, as it's on my local network and FTPing the files every time would just be a pain. The only way (that I can think of) to do that however is to add the samba user to the apache group in order to upload the files to the web directory and not have to change permissions afterwards. I think that's what I did on my old server way back when I was setting it up. However I'm not sure that this is a good idea. Even though it's behind the router's firewall, am I running some kind of security risk by doing that? Is there a better way to achieve the same goal? Thanks.

Kevitivity

I'm not sure what you're getting at though. It was a minor point I made about firewalls having functions that can block software from phoning home but there's also nothing stopping Symantic, Eset, Comodo, etc from mining your data as well. And as I said processes like svchost are doing whatever they are doing and you need to allow these through firewalls anyway.

My point is Linux is no better than Windows or Mac from protecting anyone from Data mining if the vendor wants to get your data. Even if you find a safe distro your browser(and every addon) and your isp are also filtering everything you do. And then you have servers like cloudfront and akamai which almost everything passes through. Overall though, yes, I would trust most Distro developers more than Microsoft and Google.

Like I said though I'm much the same as you in that I do my best to keep my head down on the net and stay anonymous because I think every little but helps.

What Linux software are you referring to that is phoning home other than for QC reasons?

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm talking about the OS. Also the lens sends data to Amazon. Any addon you install has access to websites you visit.

Easy, don't use the amazon lens and only use open source addons for firefox -> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/addons.html

That way you can go over the source code and be sure that it's not leaking personal information.

I'm trying to set up a new web server after my old one croaked and I'm redoing the configuration from scratch. It's a Fedora 18 box.

I'm using Samba to upload files to the web server, as it's on my local network and FTPing the files every time would just be a pain. The only way (that I can think of) to do that however is to add the samba user to the apache group in order to upload the files to the web directory and not have to change permissions afterwards. I think that's what I did on my old server way back when I was setting it up. However I'm not sure that this is a good idea. Even though it's behind the router's firewall, am I running some kind of security risk by doing that? Is there a better way to achieve the same goal? Thanks.

Automate it so it ftps the files automatically?

There is this utility, http://entrproject.org/, which will monitor for events and changes and act if they are modified.

You can use it like this:

ls webdir/* |entr ./yourftpscript.sh

This will monitor the files in the webdir and if one of them changes, execute the given script. That way you can just keep modifyinf your files and it will automatically upload in the background.

You can also use python for the same :D

I'd generally just rsync the files to the destination.

But if the only way (for whatever reason) to upload to the specific user with built-in rights to the web serving directory is to use ftp, why don't you just mount the ftp server to a directory using something like curlftpfs? Then you could, you know, drag and drop or use the "cp" command or whatever.

diaspora

So right now I've got Windows 8 and Elementary OS on dual boot on my laptop with the machine booting up to the GRUB OS choice screen. How would I go about safely removing everything linux from my machine?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So I went back into Unity after a day or so of using Gnome 3.8 ... this happens:

lol ... drive issue? I checked and I'm using Open Source drivers so I'm trying to switch to proprietary. I already tried rebooting before without doing anything but it's still doing the same thing.

Kevitivity

What you are doing will work, but in my opinion, only the paranoid survive. Use sftp. Also Fedora is a bad choice for a server in my opinion because of it's short life cycle. Use a distro with long term patch support (Ubuntu LTE, or CentOS for example).

freddy

Banned
Easy, don't use the amazon lens and only use open source addons for firefox -> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/addons.html

That way you can go over the source code and be sure that it's not leaking personal information.
Well, there, you bring to light another problem with distros like Ubuntu. Increasingly they are using software that is not open source and a lot of that software is becoming a must have for a lot of users. Things like Flash, Games, and also online software such as Google Mail, Facebook and the like.
Thanks for that list, btw.
Also, in some semi related news, I tried out the nightly version of Firefox and it seems like it blocks 3rd party cookies by default now. Not much of a change for me since I block all cookies bar a few but for Mozilla to see them as a problem is revealing in itself.

freddy

Banned
So I went back into Unity after a day or so of using Gnome 3.8 ... this happens:

lol ... drive issue? I checked and I'm using Open Source drivers so I'm trying to switch to proprietary. I already tried rebooting before without doing anything but it's still doing the same thing.

I'm not sure from your pic but I had problems on 3.8 with the desktop breaking up into graphical artifacts on boot. For me logging on and off would solve it most of the time. I was using Virtual Box so I think that defaults to the Open Source drivers as well.

Edit: Hmm never mind, I can't read. :p

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You should be thankful your computer didn't pull out a gun and shoot you in the face (the Unity experience™.)

I actually just did a fresh install. I like Gnome, but Unity makes more sense for me personally. Unity on 13.04 is pretty solid for the most part.

Young Magus

Is there any programs that I can use to shorten the space from my windows partition and use the extra space for Mint?

I'm easing the switch to (mostly) full time mint user so any advice or suggestions would be helpful :).

Kevitivity

Well, there, you bring to light another problem with distros like Ubuntu. Increasingly they are using software that is not open source and a lot of that software is becoming a must have for a lot of users. Things like Flash, Games, and also online software such as Google Mail, Facebook and the like.
Also, in some semi related news, I tried out the nightly version of Firefox and it seems like it blocks 3rd party cookies by default now. Not much of a change for me since I block all cookies bar a few but for Mozilla to see them as a problem is revealing in itself.

As far as I know, all the the closed source stuff, like Flash, is completely optional and isn't installed by default. Ubuntu is really geared to the desktop anyway, so this particular issue is low on my radar - I use CentOS, and Debian on my servers and use a Mac as a desktop.

freddy

Banned
Is there any programs that I can use to shorten the space from my windows partition and use the extra space for Mint?

I'm easing the switch to (mostly) full time mint user so any advice or suggestions would be helpful :).

http://www.howtogeek.com/99060/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux-mint-on-the-same-pc/

This should help you out a bit. You should run defragment on windows as well before you shrink a volume.

You can also rely on just the installation DVD to do all the work for you but its not recommended as Windows likes to do it's own housework.

freddy

Banned
As far as I know, all the the closed source stuff, like Flash, is completely optional and isn't installed by default. Ubuntu is really geared to the desktop anyway, so this particular issue is low on my radar - I use CentOS, and Debian on my servers and use a Mac as a desktop.
Yep there are still plenty of options there for people to look at. But it's becoming increasing hard to control and avoid when a lot of the data mining is done on the web through services people have come to see as essential to their computing experience.

itxaka

Defeatist

Yep. Im actually transitioning to everything-open-source and it's a pain in the ass. Fucking google mail, maps, flash...it's almost impossible to find decent alternatives to it and using them are so easy....they use the lock in of users in order to keep them. Not using google maps is one of the most difficult things on phones, it just works perfectly with everything.

Young Magus

http://www.howtogeek.com/99060/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux-mint-on-the-same-pc/

This should help you out a bit. You should run defragment on windows as well before you shrink a volume.

You can also rely on just the installation DVD to do all the work for you but its not recommended as Windows likes to do it's own housework.

Thank you for the link but I'm already using Mint. I want to take the free space I Have on my windows partition and use that for my Mint partition. After messing around with windows 7, I have only gotten 13 GB free and wonder how do I get the other free spaces moved over to mint (if possible?)

freddy

Banned
Thank you for the link but I'm already using Mint. I want to take the free space I Have on my windows partition and use that for my Mint partition. After messing around with windows 7, I have only gotten 13 GB free and wonder how do I get the other free spaces moved over to mint (if possible?)

Windows puts unmoveable files in awkward spots.

Ok, maybe you need to look at doing this but I'd make sure you back up personal files first and defrag before and after. Also as a tip, make sure you boot back into windows a couple of times after reclaiming space and turn back on those functions you turned off. This will let windows replace those sections and get used to the new space. Good luck.

http://www.brandonchecketts.com/archives/how-to-shrink-a-partition-with-unmovable-files-in-windows-7

I've been through this process myself and it worked out fine for me.

After you've done this then you can use the Mint Live DVD and boot into it to access Gparted. You can then claim that unused space for Mint.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It is optional. They ask you if you want to install the close source restricted extras during the install as an extra option. You have to check it if you want to install things like flash and mp3 support.

It's also worth noting while I hate Canonical has stuck to their idea about the web enabled dash it must be said they did add in a specific settings program just to deal with privacy. It's called dun dun dun dun... "privacy."

Honestly most of this just centers around Canonicals recent decisions with Ubuntu and not Linux as a whole. I'd definitely agree the bigger issue is all of the web shit. It's just hard to get around using the most popular services in this day in age. I use Gmail and Gmaps like everyone else cause it just works.

freddy

Banned
What keeps happening is this:
and with that the process stops what its doing, what am I doing wrong?

Honestly, I'm not sure but I would try moving sda5 to the left instead of sda4. It looks like Gparted doesn't want to grow the whole extended partition because it contains both mint and swap and it doesn't know how to grow those two partitions into the free space.

If that doesn't work and no one else here can help try asking here.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/

Edit: replaced ubuntu forums with mint forums. >_>

I know this is a long shot but anybody here ever use Aleph One on Linux? I have Marathon 2 and Infinity working but I can't get Marathon to run which sucks

PandaL

Thanks for all the advice on the programming! I appreciate everyone's help. I decided to use Code Academy for now to learn Python and hopefully I'll stick with it. After that, I'll try coding on the desktop and probably in an IDE.

Also a while back I wrote about how I had to fresh install Ubuntu 13.04 because I tried to upgrade to Gnome 3.8 from 3.6 and it ate up my system instead.

Well, I still wanted to try Gnome 3.8, so I decided to install it. I think I'll use this over Unity for quite some time now.

Could you please post the link to that original wallpaper?

phoenixyz

I got a question, maybe a Linux guy here can help: If I compile the vanilla Kernel as a .deb package via make deb-pkg it only gives me one header-package (the amd64 version). But, for example, the precompiled kernels from the Ubuntu guys have two header packages (one amd64 and one "all" version). How do I get this other package when compiling from source?

Vanillalite

So I'm gonna give my top 5 current fav distros...
List:

5. Mint

4. Xubuntu

3. Debian Stable

2. Ubuntu

1. Crunchbang

Thoughts:

Crunchbang gets rid of the bloat of Ubuntu while pulling from the Debian stable branch while also not being so anal that some common stuff can easily be installed despite not being purely open source (dvd playback, mp3 playback etc...). In that regard it's sort of like Ubuntu, but with a much more nimble OS.

Ubuntu is 2nd despite it's cluster because you can fix a lot of it with the new privacy settings, and everything seems tailored to it. They also seemed to fix a lot of the jank in 13.04 despite not really pushing any real new features.

Debian enters the ring again since they finally got a new stable. I know it takes forever to get a true stable release for a reason, but Wheezy seemed extra long. It would also be my go to for a non business related server OS. Oh desktop Debian moved on to pure Gnome so you get Gnome shell as well if your a fanboy like Andrex. LOL :p

Xubuntu comes in 4th cause IMO it's the best XFCE distro running. It's also Gnome 2 like yet still up to do verses something like MATE which was just trying to hold onto the past. Some of the luster for Xubuntu is gone now that Gnome Shell includes Classic, but I still think it's more nimble as you don't have to have all of Gnome installed. Plus I feel Crunchbang beats out both for lightweightness.

I put Mint 5th. I know many like it, but I just don't see it being as great as it use to. As I said Mate is really not needed when you have Gnome adding in Gnome Classic as well as the latest XFCE versions. That leaves you with Mint + Cinnamon. It's solid, but I'd rather take Openbox for it's nimbleness, straight Gnome + Gnome Shell if I want something slightly heavier, or just roll with Ubuntu since everything made for that + it's about a month or so ahead of the Mint cycle since it's Mint's upstream distro.

Worth Noting:

Fedora just doesn't seem worth it as it still seems to much of a testing ground, and it's not the only place to really get a distro shipped with Gnome 3 + Gnome Shell anymore. Obviously RHEL and Cent still rule the business world though I'd have little qualms recommending Debian Stable as a Cent alternative.

Young Magus

List:

5. Mint

4. Xubuntu

3. Debian Stable

2. Ubuntu

1. Crunchbang

Thoughts:

Crunchbang gets rid of the bloat of Ubuntu while pulling from the Debian stable branch while also not being so anal that some common stuff can easily be installed despite not being purely open source (dvd playback, mp3 playback etc...). In that regard it's sort of like Ubuntu, but with a much more nimble OS.

Ubuntu is 2nd despite it's cluster because you can fix a lot of it with the new privacy settings, and everything seems tailored to it. They also seemed to fix a lot of the jank in 13.04 despite not really pushing any real new features.

Debian enters the ring again since they finally got a new stable. I know it takes forever to get a true stable release for a reason, but Wheezy seemed extra long. It would also be my go to for a non business related server OS. Oh desktop Debian moved on to pure Gnome so you get Gnome shell as well if your a fanboy like Andrex. LOL :p

Xubuntu comes in 4th cause IMO it's the best XFCE distro running. It's also Gnome 2 like yet still up to do verses something like MATE which was just trying to hold onto the past. Some of the luster for Xubuntu is gone now that Gnome Shell includes Classic, but I still think it's more nimble as you don't have to have all of Gnome installed. Plus I feel Crunchbang beats out both for lightweightness.

I put Mint 5th. I know many like it, but I just don't see it being as great as it use to. As I said Mate is really not needed when you have Gnome adding in Gnome Classic as well as the latest XFCE versions. That leaves you with Mint + Cinnamon. It's solid, but I'd rather take Openbox for it's nimbleness, straight Gnome + Gnome Shell if I want something slightly heavier, or just roll with Ubuntu since everything made for that + it's about a month or so ahead of the Mint cycle since it's Mint's upstream distro.

Worth Noting:

Fedora just doesn't seem worth it as it still seems to much of a testing ground, and it's not the only place to really get a distro shipped with Gnome 3 + Gnome Shell anymore. Obviously RHEL and Cent still rule the business world though I'd have little qualms recommending Debian Stable as a Cent alternative.

Thanks to your post, I might take a look at CrunchBang down along the line. I'm getting and external HDD so I might check it out sooner then later. Is there any thing I should know about going from Mint to CrunchBang? Any tips to prepare in advance?

injurai

Banned
List:

5. Mint

4. Xubuntu

3. Debian Stable

2. Ubuntu

1. Crunchbang

I went distro hopping maybe a month back and I have to agree on Crunchbang overall. My only problem is that it did not have as many OS features brought out to the gui like Ubuntu/Mint have. I know many of you guys are command line, but sometimes I just need to quickly flick files and manage things. I care more about ease of development and access at my fingertips then always breaking out a terminal for extra control. So I still have Mint as my main.

the worst had to be Elementary. I know its in alpha, but it really shows. It had my favorite terminal emulator out of all of them though.

Is there any thing I should know about going from Mint to CrunchBang? Any tips to prepare in advance?

My only problem is that it did not have as many OS features brought out to the gui like Ubuntu/Mint have.

Prepare your Google search. Despite my words against it recently I do like it. Its customization options are mind blowing to me (2nd distro for me so take that with a grain of salt). It just taught me how much you can do with command line/how important it is.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my desktop to give you an idea of what it's like

Hieberrr

Wow, source for wallpaper, please?

lmpaler

Prepare your Google search. Despite my words against it recently I do like it. Its customization options are mind blowing to me (2nd distro for me so take that with a grain of salt). It just taught me how much you can do with command line/how important it is.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my desktop to give you an idea of what it's like

That is...beautiful

Vanillalite

The only annoying thing for me with Crunch was the fact that you have to edit the menu file to add shortcuts. That was my only complaint.

Glad to see my list has sparked discussion and interest. :p

The only annoying thing for me with Crunch was the fact that you have to edit the menu file to add shortcuts. That was my only complaint.

Glad to see my list has sparked discussion and interest. :p

When you speak, we listen ;)

I had just come from Windows after a short stint with Ubuntu. I started it up and said, "Where are the menus? How do you find anything?" Eye opening experience for sure.

What do you have displayed on Conky? I like mine but I'm trying to trim the fat to give that wallpaper some breathing room.

Young Magus

I'm trying to back up my info and the Mint Backup program hangs up on me. Anything I can do to fix this issue?

Edit: Solved the issue with xkill.

LaneDS

At work I've moved into a junior Linux sysadmin position and work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems, so tonight I decided to be proactive and install the non-commercial Fedora offering, and boy, it's quite a bit different right out of the box. Going to fiddle with it for a bit and see if I can't teach myself some tricks for work, even if Ubuntu seems much more exciting (wanted to stick with something CentOS based).

Top Bottom