• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Massa

That seems weird indeed. One thing you could try is umount the drive as root, turn it off, unplug it, then log out as root, log in as user and plug it back in. You can use the gnome-disks utility too.

Persona7

Banned
That didn't work either. I just got mad and wiped the drive and reinstalled the OS and it works now.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Dazza

Did you have the drive previously mounted in Windows, with it set as a non removable drive and with fast boot enabled? I'm finding that Windows 10 locks drives from other OSes in these conditions

Prez

I desperately need a CD ripper to rip music from an external USB drive but I can't find any at all... Here's what I've tried:

Sound Juicer: works well for FLAC, no paranoia mode for accurate rips (especially important for scratched CDs), can only rip straight to MP3 at 32kbps which can't be changed.
Asunder: doesn't recognize external drive.
RipperX: doesn't recognize external drive.
Rhythmbox: very unstable, crashes all the time when trying to rip a CD.
ABCDE: only works in Terminal, no idea how to use it, let alone get it configured to work with my external CD drive.

I mean seriously, I'm starting to think I'll have to buy Windows just so I can rip CDs....

Massa

Sound Juicer works perfectly for me. IIRC correctly it uses paranoia mode by default and proper MP3 support should be a matter of having the relevant packages installed. What distribution are you running?

zoku88

I desperately need a CD ripper to rip music from an external USB drive but I can't find any at all... Here's what I've tried:

Sound Juicer: works well for FLAC, no paranoia mode for accurate rips (especially important for scratched CDs), can only rip straight to MP3 at 32kbps which can't be changed.
Asunder: doesn't recognize external drive.
RipperX: doesn't recognize external drive.
Rhythmbox: very unstable, crashes all the time when trying to rip a CD.
ABCDE: only works in Terminal, no idea how to use it, let alone get it configured to work with my external CD drive.

I mean seriously, I'm starting to think I'll have to buy Windows just so I can rip CDs....
I use morituri http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/

Recognizes my external drive. It checks musicbrainz for metadata and looks at the accurip database for accuracy.

Only rips to FLAC. So if you want MP3, you'd need something to convert from FLAC to MP3, which should be easy enough.

Prez

Sound Juicer works perfectly for me. IIRC correctly it uses paranoia mode by default and proper MP3 support should be a matter of having the relevant packages installed. What distribution are you running?

How can I make sure paranoia mode is on? I can't see it anywhere in the settings. Right now the ripping speed is 7-8x and it rips a whole CD in under 5 minutes which is definitely not paranoia mode.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.

I use morituri http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/

Recognizes my external drive. It checks musicbrainz for metadata and looks at the accurip database for accuracy.

edit: just installed it but I can't find it anywhere???

Only rips to FLAC. So if you want MP3, you'd need something to convert from FLAC to MP3, which should be easy enough.

That looks interesting thanks. I have some CDs that will definitely not be in the accurip database though.

zoku88

The command is just 'rip'

rip cds using
Code:
rip cd rip

But for the first thing you want to do is have it record the offset of your drive using:

Code:
rip offset find

you can look at the manpage for rip for more info.

Prez

The command is just 'rip'

rip cds using
Code:
rip cd rip

But for the first thing you want to do is have it record the offset of your drive using:

Code:
rip offset find

you can look at the manpage for rip for more info.

How do I select my external drive? I suppose I'd have to find out what the drive is called first, how do I do that?

This is what I get after typing rip cd rip:

Using fallback read offset 0
Checking device /dev/sr0
eject: CD-ROM tray close command failed: Input/output error
rip: error: cannot read CD from drive.
cdrdao says:
Unable to open SCSI device /dev/sr0: Device or resource busy.
Please use option '--device {[proto:]bus,id,lun}|device', e.g. --device 0,6,0, --device ATA:0,0,0 or --device /dev/cdrom
Cannot setup device /dev/sr0.

zoku88

How do I select my external drive? I suppose I'd have to find out what the drive is called first, how do I do that?

This is what I get after typing rip cd rip:

Looks like you use --device. Usually with my external drive, it's put in dev/sr0 (which is what this looks for by default).

But if you CD is somewhere else, you can put the path like it's shown onthe last line of the error message

Prez

Looks like you use --device. Usually with my external drive, it's put in dev/sr0 (which is what this looks for by default).

But if you CD is somewhere else, you can put the path like it's shown onthe last line of the error message

Okay so I just found out the external drive is sr1. What's the command line I have to use to set Morituri to sr1?

itxaka

Defeatist
Heads up for people with multiple monitors, dont buy "Secrets of Raetikon" or "Interplanetary" on Steam. Their support for decent window positioning is non-existant, the games just go bananas with multiple monitors.
Had to refund them :(

Got a new laptop and I'm about to give my old one over to my brother. I kind of want to just reset the thing to factory settings for him, but will that cause problems if the laptop dual boots to ubuntu at the moment? Anyone have experience with this?

The Linux Mint website was cracked, and on Saturday was made to offer for download modified versions of Linux Mint that have a backdoor (the checksum listings were also changed). The backdoor is Tsunami, which is used to make a botnet.

Personally identifiable information from users from the Linux Mint forum was also taken, and the passwords used PHPass which is crackable (some of these passwords have already been). The entirety of this information has been made available for purchase on the dark web.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Linux Mint website was cracked, and on Saturday was made to offer for download modified versions of Linux Mint that have a backdoor (the checksum listings were also changed). The backdoor is Tsunami, which is used to make a botnet.

Personally identifiable information from users from the Linux Mint forum was also taken, and the passwords used PHPass which is crackable (some of these passwords have already been). The entirety of this information has been made available for purchase on the dark web.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

Well, that's quite ugly. :( What a nasty business. I hope the affected end users can avoid all, or most, damage to their systems and reputations.

What was the means of attack to get in?

Well, that's quite ugly. :( What a nasty business. I hope the affected end users can avoid all, or most, damage to their systems and reputations.

What was the means of attack to get in?

Another article just says that the individual targeted "vulnerabilities in WordPress".

But also:
Researchers who have examined the compromised ISO file say that the backdoor – an IRC bot named Kaiten - doesn't work.

Kaiten has been open source since about 2001, so the code isn't something new or unique. Early reports on the hack said the IRC bot was Tsunami, which is technically correct, as that's one of the names used to identify the bot's core code (AV companies use this name too), but the code itself is Kaiten.c.
http://www.csoonline.com/article/30...ata-up-for-sale-iso-downloads-backdoored.html

Wow, that's nasty for the Mint community. Recently put Arch/Gnome back on my laptop and it's like coming home. Love this distro/DE combo so much.

Massa

Another article just says that the individual targeted "vulnerabilities in WordPress".

But also:

That's the problem with hosting WordPress and your download pages on the same server. Even if you do a pretty good job in admin you should always assume WP may be cracked one day.

Linux Mint has always annoyed me with how poorly they do things, both on the technical side as well as their insistence on illegally shipping software (i.e. shipping stuff they're not allowed to) but this must be pretty bad days for the people working on the project, feel kind of bad for them.

jvm

Gamasutra.
That's the problem with hosting WordPress and your download pages on the same server. Even if you do a pretty good job in admin you should always assume WP may be cracked one day.

Linux Mint has always annoyed me with how poorly they do things, both on the technical side as well as their insistence on illegally shipping software (i.e. shipping stuff they're not allowed to) but this must be pretty bad days for the people working on the project, feel kind of bad for them.
What did they ship that they shouldn't have? I am completely ignorant of Mint in general.

LoveCake

I am a Mint user, this is the statement from the official blog.

The forum was hacked & downloaded & sensitive information is online for sale.

It was confirmed that the forums database was compromised during the attack led against us yesterday and that the attackers acquired a copy of it. If you have an account on forums.linuxmint.com, please change your password on all sensitive websites as soon as possible.

The database contains the following sensitive information:

Your forums username
An encrypted copy of your forums password
Your email address
Any personal information you might have put in your signature/profile/etc…
Any personal information you might written on the forums (including private topics and private messages)

People primarily at risk are people whose forums password is the same as their email password or as the password they use on popular or sensitive websites. Although the passwords cannot be decrypted, they can be brute-forced (found by trial) if they are simple enough or guessed if they relate to personal information.

Out of precaution we recommend all forums users change their passwords.

While changing your passwords, please start with your email password and do not use the same password on different websites.

About the ISO, if you downloaded Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition on 20th February only from a mirror that was linked to on the official site then the chances are you downloaded a compromised ISO.

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.

Finally, the situation happened today, so it should only impact people who downloaded this edition on February 20th.

How to check if your ISO is compromised?

If you still have the ISO file, check its MD5 signature with the command “md5sum yourfile.iso” (where yourfile.iso is the name of the ISO).

The valid signatures are below:

6e7f7e03500747c6c3bfece2c9c8394f linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-32bit.iso
e71a2aad8b58605e906dbea444dc4983 linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
30fef1aa1134c5f3778c77c4417f7238 linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-nocodecs-32bit.iso
3406350a87c201cdca0927b1bc7c2ccd linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-nocodecs-64bit.iso
df38af96e99726bb0a1ef3e5cd47563d linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-oem-64bit.iso

If you still have the burnt DVD or USB stick, boot a computer or a virtual machine offline (turn off your router if in doubt) with it and let it load the live session.

Once in the live session, if there is a file in /var/lib/man.cy, then this is an infected ISO.

What to do if you are affected?

Delete the ISO. If you burnt it to DVD, trash the disc. If you burnt it to USB, format the stick.

If you installed this ISO on a computer:

Put the computer offline.
Backup your personal data, if any.
Reinstall the OS or format the partition.
Change your passwords for sensitive websites (for your email in particular).

Is everything back to normal now?

Not yet. We took the server down while we’re fixing the issue.

Who did that?

The hacked ISOs are hosted on 5.104.175.212 and the backdoor connects to absentvodka.com.

Both lead to Sofia, Bulgaria, and the name of 3 people over there. We don’t know their roles in this, but if we ask for an investigation, this is where it will start.

What we don’t know is the motivation behind this attack. If more efforts are made to attack our project and if the goal is to hurt us, we’ll get in touch with authorities and security firms to confront the people behind this.

If you’ve been affected by this, please do let us know.

If you DID NOT download & install a copy of Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition via a mirror linked from the official site on 20th February then you are ok & fine.

This is the link to the official blog http://blog.linuxmint.com/

Can people please pass this along as this needs to as widespread as it can be to make sure anyone who downloaded an infected ISO is found.

Help! I have installed Elementary OS on a laptop that also has a Windows 8.1 installation on an encrypted harddrive (BitLocker). The installation went fine but I can't find a way to boot into Linux. It doesn't show up in the boot manager and I'm not allowed to modify it using tools like BCDEdit. Manually editing the boot configuration, by running the command below from Windows cmd, only adds another option to boot up the default Windows OS.

Code:
bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\elementary\grubx64.efi

Does anyone here know of a smart trick to boot up Linux?

My understanding is you always have to fix Linux boot related problems from Grub (or whatever bootloader you use) as Windows will always overwrite stuff. I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to help you out but I'd you use Grub look into its boot recovery shell.

Dicer

Banned
So I got the itch and dumped Mint on my SSD, smooth sailing apart from a few lil things I forgot about. (Nvidia display nonsense) I was looking for a different desktop interface, so I went poking around and started reading up on KDE Plasma, mow mind you back in the day I HATED KDE, but I gotta admit this is pretty slick, and the level of customization...it's scary.

Had a small hiccup with Genymotion as well, but that churning along and is my Android on desktop solution for now.

I installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 (64-bit) two days ago.

Steam isn't wanting to install, either from the deb from the website or from the multiverse repository. I am not on my computer now so I can't write the exact error at the moment but is anyone else having the issue? I tried the usual 32-bit additions but had no success.

clav

Is this the one that brings AMDGPU PRO?

I installed XUbuntu which uses Kernel 4.4.0-21 at the moment when the current release is 4.4.8.

Something's not right.

I think Kernel 4.5 will be used in 16.10, which will see full AMD optimization, so the answer to your question is sort of. 4.4 is the start. Only exciting since this release is a LTS (long term support for updates). The releases in between LTS are usually supported at most 9 months.

I installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 (64-bit) two days ago.

Steam isn't wanting to install, either from the deb from the website or from the multiverse repository. I am not on my computer now so I can't write the exact error at the moment but is anyone else having the issue? I tried the usual 32-bit additions but had no success.

Today is the official release day. Prior to that, there were dailies.

I've been looking at the kernel changelog over the months, and it's been updating consistently. I'm guessing with what XUbuntu is using what Ubuntu uses, and that's why things are wonky. Read my post above.

Did you install from a clean partition?

Massa

I installed XUbuntu which uses Kernel 4.4.0-21 at the moment when the current release is 4.4.8.

Something's not right.

I think Kernel 4.5 will be used in 16.10, which will see full AMD optimization, so the answer to your question is sort of. 4.4 is the start. Only exciting since this release is a LTS (long term support for updates). The releases in between LTS are usually supported at most 9 months.

I've been looking at the kernel changelog over the months, and it's been updating consistently. I'm guessing with what XUbuntu is using what Ubuntu uses, and that's why things are wonky. Read my post above.

The 'upstream' kernel (what you see in kernel.org) changes too rapidly, meaning bugs may be introduced. Ubuntu takes a version a few months before they ship and use that, only bringing in specific, hand-picked fixes from the newer versions.

clav

The 'upstream' kernel (what you see in kernel.org) changes too rapidly, meaning bugs may be introduced. Ubuntu takes a version a few months before they ship and use that, only bringing in specific, hand-picked fixes from the newer versions.

That makes sense. Hence the dashes in the uname call since it's a fork.

Might be a while then for stability.

I've had some stuttering issues, but this laptop is not powerful at all. Barely scores 200 points on CPU benchmarks.

Thank you for replying. Yes it is a fresh install and I know it was a daily, but it was updated and upgraded. I just tried installing it by command line again today and this time it worked. It is a bit weird that it was cut this close, only being able to be installed from the day of the distribution version's official release.

Something's not right.

Thanks for responding. I just started the upgrade and it's saying it's deleting catalyst and fglrx-updates and is installing AMDGPU. No mention of AMDGPU Pro, though.

Haven't posted in a while, frankly because I haven't had any real issues.

But I bought a 4k TV... And Ubuntu Mate keeps defaulting to 4k resolution even though I keep setting 1080p as default. My HTPC is powered by an Athlon 5350 APU, it runs like shit trying to display that many pixels.

Any ideas?

Hey GAF, quick question: what do you guys recommend as a gamepad for playing steam games in Ubuntu? I assume either Dualshock 4 or Xbox One gamepad depending on personal preference? Is there something better out there?

Hey GAF, quick question: what do you guys recommend as a gamepad for playing steam games in Ubuntu? I assume either Dualshock 4 or Xbox One gamepad depending on personal preference? Is there something better out there?

There's also the Steam Controller, but I'd recommend trying to find someone who owns one so you can try it out before you buy it.

I personally can't stand the thing but there are others who swear by it.

ricki42

I mostly use a DS4. For some reason though the button mapping is all screwed up for me in Mark of the Ninja. I have a Logitech F710, and with that one it works perfectly. The pad is just less comfortable.
The Steam controller is nice for some things, but it takes some getting used to.

Joezie

Got my super old recovered Desktop Box that the neighbors threw away up to Slack 14.2 ;)

XFCE <3

Screenshot_2016_08_11_20_20_49.png

redlegs87

Ok so I am downloading Ubuntu 16.04 I want to install it on my second drive. The 2nd drive does have files and things on it. Can I partition it to have space where I can install Ubuntu too while keeping my other files on it for windows?

-KRS-

Ok so I am downloading Ubuntu 16.04 I want to install it on my second drive. The 2nd drive does have files and things on it. Can I partition it to have space where I can install Ubuntu too while keeping my other files on it for windows?

Sure, you'll need to shrink the existing partition if it takes up the whole drive. Here's a guide for resizing Windows system partitions, but it applies here as well. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions

Top Bottom