• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
You eliminated the best part of it. :( How could you kill such a fragile, young creature...

It was worse than chrome running inside another os dude, I had to.

(I should reload it again, but it seems like a hassle)

zoku88

Aw man, I've learned to my lesson when it comes to launching things as root. IE, don't do it unless you really have to.

I accidentally launched virtual box and wine as root once and was left wondering, many weeks after the fact, why my / partition was about 10GB bigger than it should be.

Those darn hidden folders in /root >_<

It feels to me that it's kinda of weird to have things that aren't just text files and such as .folders.

peakish

Andrex said:
Looks great. Gnome 3 is shaping up. Just looked at Unity and it's still not appealing at all to me. :/
One thing that I just realised is the step forward 3.2 takes in the integrated messaging. With the Contacts app installed you can use the Overview Search to look people up, see if they're online and email/message them without ever opening an IM client (though it needs to run in the background). It's not quite at the stage when you can do this through the Shell only (the Contacts app is opened when you select the contact so you'll have to do it from there) but it feels like the aim is to make it so.

Which would be incredibly neat. Want to message someone? Search from overview, see if they're online and if not send them an email instead, all from one place. With replying going through the notification area (this looks way better now than in 3.0 as well, as do the standard theme overall).

Haha, maybe I'm a bit too excited for this feature, but it does highlight some possibilities the Shell brings in seamlessly integrating several functions into a single interface.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pctx said:
Starting to migrate over to Fedora and CentOS...... why the F did I not do this earlier? YUM is GODLY!

What were you actually using before? I can see the Fedora migration, but I'm sort of wondering about CentOS.

CentOS seems to usually be a business starting point rather than a point you migrate too.

Pctx

Banned
Brettison said:
What were you actually using before? I can see the Fedora migration, but I'm sort of wondering about CentOS.

CentOS seems to usually be a business starting point rather than a point you migrate too.
I was getting sick of Ubuntu trying to be everything to everyone. Fedora cuts to the chase and I get what I want. YUM is amazing compared to APT or even Aptitude. I feel like Aptitude is trying to be YUM for APT people and it still fails.

CentOS is what I'm learning for Web server environment. I am/still plan to be for a while using Ubuntu headless servers but CentOS is great... meaning its stable as all get out.

thcsquad

Kevitivity said:
If you stay up to date with patches, very. Use Ubuntu server, not desktop! And of course follow all the normal hardening procedures... For starters, stay away from cgi programming unless you're an expert. Keep strict permissions on EVERYTHING. Be extra anal when an SQL server is installed. Lock down your network: TcpWrappers, apache allow/deny rules, iptables. Disable services that are not needed.

Automate backups (I like rsnapshot). Clonezilla for bare metal images.

And most importantly, Keep your setuo Simple.

As a professional admin, I would use RedHat or CentOS, but Ubuntu is perfectly capable if you really know what you're doing.

Also, you can set SSH to only use keys and turn off password authentication entirely.

Vanillalite

Alright my goal is to have the Ubuntu 11.10 OT up by or posted during next weekend.

I'll start working on it this week. Ideally a Thursday release for my thread would be nice to coincide with the RC version of the OS, but it depends on my motivation. None of you probably care about all of that though :p

I am posting this to say please do me a favor and look over my previous two |OT|s for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 11.04

Let me know what you like and dislike about my threads. I tried to go for it more with the latter rather than the former. Also if you have any things you want me to include this time around I shall! Thanks in advance! :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My only complaint is the titles. Make sure it's something like

Ubuntu 11.10 |OT| Subtitle

And make sure the subtitle has correct grammar. :p

Vanillalite

Andrex said:
My only complaint is the titles. Make sure it's something like

Ubuntu 11.10 |OT| Subtitle

And make sure the subtitle has correct grammar. :p

I only played on the grammar to try and get a witty title... not saying it was perfect... it's a thread title though and not a sentence so I figured it was justifiable...

I'll take that to heart though.

Vanillalite

My thread is underway even if not much has been done. Slow going, and haven't hit a big groove yet like I did last |OT| where I had one session that I plowed through a ton of stuff.

I'm also just gonna copy and paste a lot of my tips and stuff because most of that hasn't changed. So I figure no need to retype it all.

Andrex should be happy as I'm typing it and saving it all in Google Docs rather than Office Live despite prefering the latter rather than the former most of the time.

Polari

I've got to say GNOME 3.2 is fantastic. Contacts and Zeitgeist integration (only available as an extension at the moment) makes the whole shell paradigm a lot more compelling. I also love the way Empathy has been implemented in the notification area, it makes IMs so much less intrusive. Online Accounts is a great idea and I can't wait until there's some services beyond Google integrated.

The only real beef I have is the way there's no distribution at the moment that integrates GNOME 3.2 as effectively as Ubuntu used to integrate the 2.x series. They need to get cracking on that GNOME OS, because what they have is fantastic, it just needs be integrated well from top to bottom.

zoku88

Polari said:
I've got to say GNOME 3.2 is fantastic. Contacts and Zeitgeist integration (only available as an extension at the moment) makes the whole shell paradigm a lot more compelling. I also love the way Empathy has been implemented in the notification area, it makes IMs so much less intrusive. Online Accounts is a great idea and I can't wait until there's some services beyond Google integrated.

The only real beef I have is the way there's no distribution at the moment that integrates GNOME 3.2 as effectively as Ubuntu used to integrate the 2.x series. They need to get cracking on that GNOME OS, because what they have is fantastic, it just needs be integrated well from top to bottom.
What do you mean by this?

I used to use Ubuntu and now I'm using GNOME with Gentoo and I don't think the experience is really that different (besides the skin, I guess.)

Polari

zoku88 said:
What do you mean by this?

I used to use Ubuntu and now I'm using GNOME with Gentoo and I don't think the experience is really that different (besides the skin, I guess.)

That integrates it seamlessly in a product directed at the end users. Even installing gnome-shell in Ubuntu 11.10 there's a litany of little bugs which wouldn't exist if the distro was built around gnome-shell rather than (ugh) Unity.

itxaka

Defeatist
Ubuntu 12.04 to be called....Precise Pangolin.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/784

YUM is amazing compared to APT or even Aptitude. I feel like Aptitude is trying to be YUM for APT people and it still fails.

Never understood this. Been using Debian and Fedora/Red Hat/Centos for a few years and I have always used both with no problems.

They are similar to me, and aptitude still has the awesome conflict management that gives points to the best course of action, which yum still doesn't have.

Care to explain a bit what you find better in yum than apt?

Also, Centos is the way to go for a hardened webserver. Just remember to remove as much shit as you can. I still don't know why the freaking default installation runs bluetooth by default on every computer. It makes no sense!

Vanillalite

Polari said:
That integrates it seamlessly in a product directed at the end users. Even installing gnome-shell in Ubuntu 11.10 there's a litany of little bugs which wouldn't exist if the distro was built around gnome-shell rather than (ugh) Unity.

Isn't that exactly what Fedora is now?

Polari

Brettison said:
Isn't that exactly what Fedora is now?

Nah Fedora is and will always be a testing ground for new technologies prior to integration into RHEL despite what anyone says. Red Hat aren't in the business of making a desktop for home users. I don't mind Fedora, but shit like a couple of releases ago when you got countless SELinux alerts and on the last release Totem used to crash constantly demonstrate the lack of true desktop focus.

For me, Ubuntu is the only distro that's come close to being a genuine mainstream alternative to Windows and OS X and now they've gone and fucked it all up with Unity. It's disheartening, because the tools to be on par with Windows and OS X have been there for years, it's just no-one's ever put in the level of care required to fit them all together perfectly. Ubuntu 10.10 was the pinnacle of desktop Linux to date IMHO. I actually think part of the problem is six-month cycles. They seemed like a good idea at first but it's just not enough time to make big changes and deliver the level of polish expected.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Polari said:
Nah Fedora is and will always be a testing ground for new technologies prior to integration into RHEL despite what anyone says. Red Hat aren't in the business of making a desktop for home users. I don't mind Fedora, but shit like a couple of releases ago when you got countless SELinux alerts and on the last release Totem used to crash constantly demonstrate the lack of true desktop focus.

For me, Ubuntu is the only distro that's come close to being a genuine mainstream alternative to Windows and OS X and now they've gone and fucked it all up with Unity. It's disheartening, because the tools to be on par with Windows and OS X have been there for years, it's just no-one's ever put in the level of care required to fit them all together perfectly. Ubuntu 10.10 was the pinnacle of desktop Linux to date IMHO. I actually think part of the problem is six-month cycles. They seemed like a good idea at first but it's just not enough time to make big changes and deliver the level of polish expected.

I completely agree with you. Ubuntu 10.10 was easily the best version of any Linux distro to date.

Then they had to muss it up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On the plus side, GNOME 3 is getting pretty awesome and I love a lot of the design cues for that. GNOME OS needs to happen sooner than later, with an equivalent of the Software Center.

Polari

Andrex said:
On the plus side, GNOME 3 is getting pretty awesome and I love a lot of the design cues for that. GNOME OS needs to happen sooner than later, with an equivalent of the Software Center.

Yeah I feel really positive about GNOME 3 and the direction it's taking generally. This is what irritates me about the Elementary guys, they get the polish thing, but instead of reinventing the wheel they should have just made keeping the GNOME 3 dock always visible an option and made it so you could position it around the screen rather than spending all their time on Apple's nuts. If they'd done that we'd have a genuine contender IMHO.

Vanillalite

Been slack, but got some more work done this afternoon on the Ubuntu thread. It's Friday and I took the afternoon off to spend sometime with my GF. We went to Lunch and the bookstore so she could look at Nursing books, and then I was gonna go back to work. She called me just as we had gotten in our cars and said she decided to go study at Starbucks so I said funk I never take off so I'll take the afternoon off and come with.

I had my CR48 and my Grados in my backpack so I got my pumpkin spiced latte and listened to the Trance Around the World radio show while I worked on the thread and looked up medical terms for my GF. I'm probably 1/3rd done, but of the other 2/3rds 1/3rd of that I'm just gonna copy and paste from last time. I'll put another hour of work in tomorrow before football starts, and then plan on doing the bulk of the rest on Sunday since the Falcons aren't on till the Sunday night game. :p

PS: I don't have a title yet if you have suggestions. I want the name/words Oneiric and Ocelot in the title somehow though.

I'm having some problems installing Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. Tried installing Ubuntu multiple times yesterday, but it failed each time. I let the installer create a new partition, the installation goes along well and even finishes, I get a reboot prompt but then shit happens. When it's supposed to just reboot I instead get a wall of text displaying what looks like some sort of hex-coded instructions with comments like "sending reboot signal" etc. It freezes up there and when I force a reboot, Windows just boots up as normal and Grub doesn't start as I assume it should.

Today I tried installing Linux Mint instead, which as far as I understand is built upon Ubuntu anyway. The installer didn't even finish this time, I got an error message just as soon it was about to wrap up. What is it that shits up my install? I'm on a x64 intel processor and both versions I tried to install were 64-bit.

zoku88

There are people using GNOME 3 right?

Can someone post their NetworkManager.conf files? (wherever that is for your distro.)

I upgraded from gnome 2.32 and NetworkManager has seem odd behavior...

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
PS: I don't have a title yet if you have suggestions. I want the name/words Oneiric and Ocelot in the title somehow though.

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of windows + MacOs best features in free flavour

I'm having some problems installing Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. Tried installing Ubuntu multiple times yesterday, but it failed each time. I let the installer create a new partition, the installation goes along well and even finishes, I get a reboot prompt but then shit happens. When it's supposed to just reboot I instead get a wall of text displaying what looks like some sort of hex-coded instructions with comments like "sending reboot signal" etc. It freezes up there and when I force a reboot, Windows just boots up as normal and Grub doesn't start as I assume it should.

Today I tried installing Linux Mint instead, which as far as I understand is built upon Ubuntu anyway. The installer didn't even finish this time, I got an error message just as soon it was about to wrap up. What is it that shits up my install? I'm on a x64 intel processor and both versions I tried to install were 64-bit.

Are you using a cd? Have you checked the cd for errors?

Where are you installing grub? Should be /dev/hda
If you are installing from usb, sometimes it gets fucked and tries to install the bootloader in the same usb drive you are booting from.

Only thing I can think of, if the installation is correct grub should be installed. The text at the end when rebooting is normal, it's not polished yet so you get the terminal output.

itxaka said:
Are you using a cd? Have you checked the cd for errors?

Where are you installing grub? Should be /dev/hda
If you are installing from usb, sometimes it gets fucked and tries to install the bootloader in the same usb drive you are booting from.

Only thing I can think of, if the installation is correct grub should be installed. The text at the end when rebooting is normal, it's not polished yet so you get the terminal output.

I used a USB, and I assumed grub would be installed automatically. I did check the usb for errors (found none), but maybe grub does get installed to the usb instead. Problem is, I don't have an optical drive hooked up right now, so a usb memory is my only option. Maybe I have to go and install grub manually when I'm in the "live" testing run, but I'm not that familiar with Linux yet, so I don't know if I'll pull it off. It's also interesting that Ubuntu managed to get through the whole installation and Linux Mint gave me a notification of a problem with the installation, since they both seemed to use the same installer.

Vanillalite

Government-man said:
I used a USB, and I assumed grub would be installed automatically. I did check the usb for errors (found none), but maybe grub does get installed to the usb instead. Problem is, I don't have an optical drive hooked up right now, so a usb memory is my only option. Maybe I have to go and install grub manually when I'm in the "live" testing run, but I'm not that familiar with Linux yet, so I don't know if I'll pull it off. It's also interesting that Ubuntu managed to get through the whole installation and Linux Mint gave me a notification of a problem with the installation, since they both seemed to use the same installer.

What did you use to make the usb installer? The official Ubuntu one or a 3rd party one?

clav

Government-man said:

Does your Windows installation boot via UEFI, not the traditional MBR method?

There are some problems dual-booting for Linux and Windows on UEFI systems. The only Linux distro I think that has done a proper boot UEFI scheme is Fedora.

I built a desktop for my friend back in May that revolved around a dual boot Windows 7 and Linux setup. I made sure his Windows 7 used the MBR method, so that Grub would easily create a boot menu.

99hertz

Man, I spend like 1 hour setting up Arch Linux and then went I finally got my network and sudo account up, I remembered that I downloaded the 64 bit install and my laptop is 32 bits. It was running well but I didn't know if it would had caused problems in the future so I decided to install Crunchbang instead. It's amazing. It was easier to set up than Ubuntu or Mint and it detected my wireless card right ahead (something that Ubuntu didn't, because of the drivers). I'm really happy with it, and it looks very good. So if don't have much time and want to try something else, I recommend it.

Now, my netbook has Ubuntu, I still haven't updated because all those horror stories I read a few days ago on /r/ubuntu. How have ,you guys that have updated, been perceiving the changes?

Vanillalite

Oooo we got a new version of Puppy Linux version 5.3 aka Slacko which is now has access to slackware packages. It's based on the woof line.

PS: Man I love Puppy as a distro, but gosh damn there are way to many confusing versions to try and keep track of.

Vanillalite

Would all of you Gnome people like ta Fedora 16 thread next week? I haven't done an |OT| for Fedora before, but I can do one for 16 if you people would like one.

Tworak

Brettison said:
Would all of you Gnome people like ta Fedora 16 thread next week? I haven't done an |OT| for Fedora before, but I can do one for 16 if you people would like one.
some people would (most likely) get pissed if you keep spamming threads about stuff they don't care about.

drama.

DO IT!

peakish

Is anyone else having trouble with Flash 11.0? Sometimes Youtube videos just hang (they go completely white and audio stops) when I'm browsing other sites at the same time. Maybe some other flash stuff is loaded, or it's something with Opera, but it's quite annoying. Present on Arch and Ubuntu 11.10.

Polari

peakish said:
Is anyone else having trouble with Flash 11.0? Sometimes Youtube videos just hang (they go completely white and audio stops) when I'm browsing other sites at the same time. Maybe some other flash stuff is loaded, or it's something with Opera, but it's quite annoying. Present on Arch and Ubuntu 11.10.

Seems OK here, but if it's enough of annoyance maybe switching to Chrome (which uses its own Flash install) might help.

itxaka

Defeatist
99hertz said:
Man, I spend like 1 hour setting up Arch Linux and then went I finally got my network and sudo account up, I remembered that I downloaded the 64 bit install and my laptop is 32 bits. It was running well but I didn't know if it would had caused problems in the future so I decided to install Crunchbang instead. It's amazing. It was easier to set up than Ubuntu or Mint and it detected my wireless card right ahead (something that Ubuntu didn't, because of the drivers). I'm really happy with it, and it looks very good. So if don't have much time and want to try something else, I recommend it.

Now, my netbook has Ubuntu, I still haven't updated because all those horror stories I read a few days ago on /r/ubuntu. How have ,you guys that have updated, been perceiving the changes?

If it's a netbook...stay away from ubuntu. Nothing but problems on my, even with xubuntu. Xorg is totally broken for me taking up 50% of the cpu the whole time.

Changed to arch and it's a bliss. Runs awesomly fast.

BTW, if your PC did install the 64 bit version...

1) You used the mixed arch CD which comes with 686 and x64
or
2) Your PC is 64bit compatible

You aren't able to install a 64bit distro in a non-compliant processor, it just won't work from the start. So im guessing you used the mixed CD which contains both architectures :D

And again, Arch is awesome. SLiM + XFCE4 = Fast as hell with all the comodities of ubuntu. There is nothing better at the moment for netbooks.

I use minitube for youtube videos. Blazing fast, all the options, none of the problems. Give it a try if you want. It's a bit of problematic to having to cut and paste the youtube lnk but well, takes a couple of seconds.

Vanillalite

Tworak said:
some people would (most likely) get pissed if you keep spamming threads about stuff they don't care about.

drama.

DO IT!

My Ubuntu thread is always like 4+ pages so people care. I never do any other threads, but I figured the other big distro to do an |OT| around would be Fedora.

The bigger drama would be the Ubuntu and the Fedora nerds going at it! :p

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
My Ubuntu thread is always like 4+ pages so people care. I never do any other threads, but I figured the other big distro to do an |OT| around would be Fedora.

The bigger drama would be the Ubuntu and the Fedora nerds going at it! :p

Unitytards and gnomedorks going at it? I like it :p

Pctx

Banned
for kicks I'm running lubuntu VM on my workstation--- very very fast and lightweight. Only running it on 256MB of memory. :)

Vanillalite

Pctx said:
for kicks I'm running lubuntu VM on my workstation--- very very fast and lightweight. Only running it on 256MB of memory. :)

Comparison to Xubuntu? Xubuntu was sort of the new hawtness last go round because XFCE finally got the big update to 4.8 which rocks. How is LXDE? Any reason to use one over the other?

Pctx

Banned
Brettison said:
Comparison to Xubuntu? Xubuntu was sort of the new hawtness last go round because XFCE finally got the big update to 4.8 which rocks. How is LXDE? Any reason to use one over the other?
Faster than Xfce IMO. The options and layout is a little different than Xfce but not a bad thing.

I would say that if you had to have a linux distro (ubuntu flavored) on old POS hardware, Lubuntu i the way to go. It can run on a PII w/ 256MB of RAM.... and that is saying something for the "bare minimum" specs. :)

sruckus

So as a Windows and Mac user I tried Ubuntu and Fedora for the first time in a long time this past weekend. I used to play around with Linux a lot in HS (4-5 years ago) and even used to write about it for a small fan site.

However, while as usual I am impressed with how much improvement it has made, it still irks me. Ubuntu looks better (especially with the font changes), but still just has huge gaps in having the UI actually look good. I don't know what to say really other than use Windows 7 or Mac (especially) for awhile..there's a clear difference in how apps look.

Ubuntu was nice enough to tell me there's a restricted driver for my Nvidia card (D830) that would improve performance and allow the UI effects and what not. Ubuntu has always done this really well compared to the others. Years ago it knew about my Microsoft wireless KB/mouse and offered advanced button configuration. However, I installed said driver and that removed my dual monitor and apparently I had to use the hidden nvidia-settings app to now make changes. Seriously...just why? But that's Linux in a nutshell. Wireless and it seems driver support in general is much improved. However, I wonder how much of that is due to me running it on an older Latitude D830.

Fedora is once again really polished and I *much* prefer the blue to Ubuntu's color palette. Splash screen, etc is all really good looking, but that's par for the course for Fedora and Red Hat in general. However, the actual app UIs are very gray and frankly, pretty ugly. Not sure what's up with that.

All in all I'm not going to switch and I never was, but I was interested to see how far Linux made it. Obviously my critiques are very GUI centric now, but I've always been that way and I feel it is more and more important today.

I like computers in general and still strongly prefer Linux for web servers. The technologies there and being developed there are really impressive.

Top Bottom