• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HURRY UP GIMP I'm using a damn third party Windows release and the Sans bug is totally bjorked on it!

Anyways, didn't a read a little while ago that GNU was going to stop all their non-Linux work or something? That'd suck.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HURRY UP GIMP I'm using a damn third party Windows release and the Sans bug is totally bjorked on it!

Anyways, didn't a read a little while ago that GNU was going to stop all their non-Linux work or something? That'd suck.

Honestly while it's not nearly GIMP or Photoshop I just use Paint.net in Windows because it's free and GIMP seems to always have issues on non Linux platforms.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't call them issues but it definitely feels about as out of place as an application can possibly feel.

If they just used the native open/save dialog things would feel sooooo much better, it's crazy. Maybe I should file a bug report or something.

Vanillalite

I wouldn't call them issues but it definitely feels about as out of place as an application can possibly feel.

If they just used the native open/save dialog things would feel sooooo much better, it's crazy. Maybe I should file a bug report or something.

Yeah issues is the wrong word. It just doesn't feel like a native app and so for what use I use programs like this paint.net works for me.

Negaiido

Should never really happen.

If something was acting odd, you would see something in the dmesg output. Type that in a terminal: dmesg.

Maybe your X driver is acting up, check the log in /var/log/Xorg... what is your fps when running glxgears? What do the first 3 GL_ lines of glxgears -info give you?

check the hdd:
Run a short self test: smartctl -t short /dev/sd[whatever]
Run smartctl -a /dev/sd[whatever] to see status output.

Install dstat and run dstat -v in a terminal while reproducing slowness.

I don't do Mint, so I cannot really comment on performance or drivers etc.

Sorry for the late reponse.

I have multiple xorg logs , the fps of glxgears seems alright with a really high fps(3000+).
What do you mean with the first 3 GL_ lines?

The HDD seems alright atm and the status report didn´t show any errors.

For now I havent experienced any slowness but I will keep monitoring.

I do have an issue with "windows" crashing and can't get anything back nor opening a terminal. I can get tty to show up but when I exit it I still only have 1 window and no programbar or anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question to someone that works with networks.
Similiar companies have told me that if I want to have a job with IT infrastructures then I would need to have experience with Linux(and networking).

Does anyone know what I can do to gain that experience? I dont know what kind of knowledge they want me to require.

Toby

Well, I was looking at using a linux distro for my HTPC (XBMCbuntu specifically), but it looks like the implementations of silverlight on Linux don't support the DRM features Netflix requires. I thought I'd ask you guys if you know another way to get instant streaming on Linux, or if there are plans to bring support to Linux?

Well I guess this is as good of a place to ask as any. I recently put a new hard drive in and fresh installs of windows 7 and ubuntu. On ubuntu however my wifi has gone to shit. I've installed all of the drivers and tried messing around with the settings but I'm at a loss. The wifi also works better in cinnamon enviro but not at all in something like lxde. Any help linux gaf?

-KRS-

Well I guess this is as good of a place to ask as any. I recently put a new hard drive in and fresh installs of windows 7 and ubuntu. On ubuntu however my wifi has gone to shit. I've installed all of the drivers and tried messing around with the settings but I'm at a loss. The wifi also works better in cinnamon enviro but not at all in something like lxde. Any help linux gaf?

You don't use gnome? (or whatever ubuntu uses by default these days)
It could be as simple as you may not have nm-applet running in the other DEs. So try starting that in a terminal if you don't have the network icon on the panel.

Other than that, it would be cool if you wrote what kind of wifi NIC we're talking about here. Also post the output of both "lspci -v" and "ifconfig".

Slavik81

Well, I was looking at using a linux distro for my HTPC (XBMCbuntu specifically), but it looks like the implementations of silverlight on Linux don't support the DRM features Netflix requires. I thought I'd ask you guys if you know another way to get instant streaming on Linux, or if there are plans to bring support to Linux?

There's no good way to get it going under Linux, but support is coming eventually. Back in October they said it would be coming "in the next 12 months". So, the countdown to tears is at 8 months and dropping.

Until then, the only options are:
1. Run Windows as a Virtual Machine under Linux.
2. (Maybe) Run the Wii Netflix under a Wii emulator.

See Also: How to watch Netflix in Linux

You don't use gnome? (or whatever ubuntu uses by default these days)
It could be as simple as you may not have nm-applet running in the other DEs. So try starting that in a terminal if you don't have the network icon on the panel.

Other than that, it would be cool if you wrote what kind of wifi NIC we're talking about here. Also post the output of both "lspci -v" and "ifconfig".

Actually I figured it out. It was my wifi not my computer itself. But thank you :). Also I didn't know about the lspci -v commond. Thank you for that.

Izick

I've been trying Ubuntu off a flash drive since yesterday.

I'm loving everything so far, except for the fact that flash is pretty awful. Sadly, I know that Adobe is ending flash support, but I'm curious as to if flash is just generally sub-par on Ubuntu/Linux, or does it have anything to do with me running of a USB?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've been trying Ubuntu off a flash drive since yesterday.

I'm loving everything so far, except for the fact that flash is pretty awful. Sadly, I know that Adobe is ending flash support, but I'm curious as to if flash is just generally sub-par on Ubuntu/Linux, or does it have anything to do with me running of a USB?

Flash in general is subpar. The sooner it dies, the better.

But *ahem* Linux support for anything is a bit hit and miss. Driver support may/may not be there and support for some stuff like Flash is there but not as good as the "closed-sourced" OS's.

Then again, Flash on OS X is also hit and miss so that's just Flash being shit in general.

Izick

Flash in general is subpar. The sooner it dies, the better.

But *ahem* Linux support for anything is a bit hit and miss. Driver support may/may not be there and support for some stuff like Flash is there but not as good as the "closed-sourced" OS's.

Then again, Flash on OS X is also hit and miss so that's just Flash being shit in general.

Hey, I'd be happy with everything being HTML5, but it's just not there yet.

I'm kind of bummed though because I watch a lot of videos online, and there's no HTML5 option for Blip, Justin.TV, or even all of Youtube.

Massa

If you have an nVidia card you can use video acceleration in Flash. That only works if you install nVidia's proprietary drivers, which is not available from Ubuntu's install in a USB stick afaik, only a real HD install.

There are browser plugins that automatically replace Flash videos to play them with a real video player. This is coming to Totem in GNOME 3.4, and I believe mplayer supports something like it already.

Izick

If you have an nVidia card you can use video acceleration in Flash. That only works if you install nVidia's proprietary drivers, which is not available from Ubuntu's install in a USB stick afaik, only a real HD install.

There are browser plugins that automatically replace Flash videos to play them with a real video player. This is coming to Totem in GNOME 3.4, and I believe mplayer supports something like it already.

Why would Gnome handle that? Is Gnome a separate OS? I thought it ran atop another OS, and changed the UI? (Sorry, I'm a Linux newbie.)

peakish

Why would Gnome handle that? Is Gnome a separate OS? I thought it ran atop another OS, and changed the UI? (Sorry, I'm a Linux newbie.)
Almost, desktop environments like Gnome (KDE and XFCE are other examples) are really sets of packages, including UI's (window managers, panels, etc.) but also other apps sharing the same goals. Gnome includes Totem as a media player, Empathy as an IM client, Epiphany as a web browser and many more.

No shame in asking btw. It's a good way to learn.

Izick

Almost, desktop environments like Gnome (KDE and XFCE are other examples) are really sets of packages, including UI's (window managers, panels, etc.) but also other apps sharing the same goals. Gnome includes Totem as a media player, Empathy as an IM client, Epiphany as a web browser and many more.

So, do you just install it like any other software, or does it install like any other OS?

peakish

So, do you just install it like any other software, or does it install like any other OS?
Like software. You can install individual parts of DE's without the UI stuff, or just the UI stuff, or everything from many different DE's and switch between them as you feel.

Izick

Like software. You can install individual parts of DE's without the UI stuff, or just the UI stuff, or everything from many different DE's and switch between them as you feel.

Do you suggest Gnome over Ubuntu for someone new to Linux? I'm actually quite fond of Unity so far.

peakish

Do you suggest Gnome over Ubuntu for someone new to Linux? I'm actually quite fond of Unity so far.
Well I'd definitely suggest you try it out since I like Gnome Shell a lot, but you may not like it as much as I do. I think Unity is quite good as well, even if it's a bit buggy and boring to use, haha. Ubuntu is already running most Gnome stuff in the background so in fact you only need to get a few packages to test Gnome Shell. Here's a guide: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/gnome-shell-ubuntu-11-10-guide/ You'll be able to switch between Gnome Shell and Unity when logging in and if you don't like it you can just remove it later on.

There's one thing to keep in mind though, Ubuntu focuses on Unity and they've made changes around their systems. It shouldn't be a real problem though, just some minor stuff like different system settings apps etc.

Izick

Well I'd definitely suggest you try it out since I like Gnome Shell a lot, but you may not like it as much as I do. I think Unity is quite good as well, even if it's a bit buggy and boring to use, haha. Ubuntu is already running most Gnome stuff in the background so in fact you only need to get a few packages to test Gnome Shell. Here's a guide: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/gnome-shell-ubuntu-11-10-guide/ You'll be able to switch between Gnome Shell and Unity when logging in and if you don't like it you can just remove it later on.

There's one thing to keep in mind though, Ubuntu focuses on Unity and they've made changes around their systems. It shouldn't be a real problem though, just some minor stuff like different system settings apps etc.

Thanks. All of this stuff is a little overwhelming at first, but very rewarding once you learn the ropes.

I was a bit worried about going to Ubuntu as my main/only OS (my old HDD died and I don't have a Windows 7 disc; waiting for my new one to arrive tomorrow, and testing out Ubuntu on a USB until then) but I'm starting to feel better and better about it.

Vanillalite

Just know that as great as running linux on a USB can be, it'll be infinitely better actually installed on a HDD or SSD. Things just run that much smoother when you get an actual install. It's just how USB and OS stuff works in general.

Izick

Just know that as great as running linux on a USB can be, it'll be infinitely better actually installed on a HDD or SSD. Things just run that much smoother when you get an actual install. It's just how USB and OS stuff works in general.

Oh, of course. I never really knew for sure if that was the case, but I always happily assumed that it would run much better on the HDD itself. I must say that I can say that I'm still quite surprised with how well everything is working, and if it only gets better, then I feel like I'm happy to use it as my main OS.

Blackface

Banned
messing with crunchbang on an old laptop, and it's my linux distro of choice now for underpowered machines. It's faster then almost any other light linux distro installed, WHILE running live from the usb.

freddy

Banned
For anyone who is not happy with Flash in their install and wants an easy way to install the latest and greatest from Adobe Labs you should try this addon. I think it's available for chromium/chrome as well.

I've tested it across various distros both 32 and 64 bit and it does the job nicely. It even works on PCLinuxOS and Mandriva. Ymmv, but it's easy to revert Flash if things go wrong.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/

Izick

For anyone who is not happy with Flash in their install and wants an easy way to install the latest and greatest from Adobe Labs you should try this addon. I think it's available for chromium/chrome as well.

I've tested it across various distros both 32 and 64 bit and it does the job nicely. It even works on PCLinuxOS and Mandriva. Ymmv, but it's easy to revert Flash if things go wrong.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/

Ooh, that looks good. I'll try that out, thanks!

TheNatural

My Member!
Got a question. I'm going to use Google Talk through Gmail and just downloaded a Linux version driver (haven't installed it yet.)

I use a USB phone, when I was using it on Windows, is there a way to get a standard linux driver for this sort of thing? I use this:

yhst-67029451737615_2197_4193499

http://www.xsatshop.com/sk-free1b.html

Izick

Okay so there was an error when I downloaded the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release update), but I dowloaded ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver, and it worked.

Should I be concerned? Is there a large difference in quality?

freddy

Banned
Okay so there was an error when I downloaded the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release update), but I dowloaded ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver, and it worked.

Should I be concerned? Is there a large difference in quality?

I trhink with Linux and Ati you should be happy if things work. Their driver support hasn't been the best. I use Nvidia an had problems with the post releaseupdate version as well. I've been using the recommended one and it works fine.

Izick

I trhink with Linux and Ati you should be happy if things work. Their driver support hasn't been the best. I use Nvidia an had problems with the post releaseupdate version as well. I've been using the recommended one and it works fine.

So I was using the propriatery driver, and everything was sluggish and slow as hell.

Uninstalled the driver, and then after it restarted it was back to it's usual smoothness, so I'm sticking with my standard drivers for now on.

TheFatOne

So GAF I'm currently learning about Linux in school, and I was thinking about making the switch to linux. I just wanted to know about Steam on Linux. I know you can run wine in order to run steam , but I was just wondering if it will play all my games on steam or will I have problems.

peakish

I searched on Google, and it said that GIMP has, or at least had a one window mode. The option just isn't there now for some reason.
I believe this is in an unstable development version now? http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.7.html

So GAF I'm currently learning about Linux in school, and I was thinking about making the switch to linux. I just wanted to know about Steam on Linux. I know you can run wine in order to run steam , but I was just wondering if it will play all my games on steam or will I have problems.
Some games may work okay, others well or not at all, but there will very likely be problems.

Izick

So I tried to update gimp to 2.7 using this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

But it didn't seem to work. Any ideas?

rpg_poser

When you use the apt-get, you are getting updates which are in the official repository for your distribution. The repository won't have that updated version of gimp. You will need to either compile it yourself or find a precompiled .deb file for it. Do some searching and you will find it.
Compiling newer versions of applications for yourself is part of working with Linux.

Izick

When you use the apt-get, you are getting updates which are in the official repository for your distribution. The repository won't have that updated version of gimp. You will need to either compile it yourself or find a precompiled .deb file for it. Do some searching and you will find it.
Compiling newer versions of applications for yourself is part of working with Linux.

So did I update Gimp, but just to a newer stable version, or did I just update something random? It said that it succesfully updated 1 thing.

(I'm sorry :[ I'm an Ubuntu newbie)

rpg_poser

Yea this is the only reason I'm not sure about moving to Linux. I thought about dual booting two operating systems, but that's just pointless. I will at least try it out after I get my ssd.

I think you may be a little confused here. GIMP is a free photoshop-like application. WINE is a windows interpreter, which allows windows programs to run in Linux.

If you are a windows gamer, stick with windows for games. Steam is a platform for digital distribution of games, not a game operating system. Windows games purchased with your Steam account are still windows games, and WINE's ability to run them on Linux will vary.

rpg_poser

So did I update Gimp, but just to a newer stable version, or did I just update something random? It said that it succesfully updated 1 thing.

(I'm sorry :[ I'm an Ubuntu newbie)

The command you used updates your Linux OS files and registered applications to the latest in the official repository, sort of like doing a windows update.
If you want the latest version of an application, you need to compile it yourself from the applcation's source repository (which I feel is the best way) or use a precompiled .deb file which someone provides.
Don't be sorry, you are starting to get into the meat of Linux, and every Linux user goes through it. I find it challenging and fun.

As I understand it, gimp 2.7 is the development version of the program. 2.6 is the current stable version. 2.7 is something you should only install if you're a programmer interested in building the next full version, which is 2.8.

As it's not an actually released revision, it's generally available by (A) downloading the source code from a mirror (like this -- for some reason, ftp.gimp.org is broken right now), unpacking and following the instructions in the INSTALL or README file; (B) adding a repository specifically made for development versions of gimp to your repository list (such as described here); or (C) joining the dark side and installing Archlinux*.

All the above are bad ideas unless you're a crazy programmer person who doesn't mind your libraries exploding. Exploding libraries are one of the things that happen when you use versions of software that are in the middle of the development phase. This isn't always terrible, but the gimp toolkit is the basis for half the graphical apps you likely use (including all of GNOME, LXDE and XFCE).

* (edit) installing Arch won't make your libraries explode -- it's rather good about that, and it's rather good about including everything in the universe as a package, especially if you set up the "yaourt" program; however, it requires constant handholding which understandably is a turn-off for many mindsets

Izick

The command you used updates your Linux OS files and registered applications to the latest in the official repository, sort of like doing a windows update.
If you want the latest version of an application, you need to compile it yourself from the applcation's source repository (which I feel is the best way) or use a precompiled .deb file which someone provides.
Don't be sorry, you are starting to get into the meat of Linux, and every Linux user goes through it. I find it challenging and fun.
Thanks for all the help. It's definitely been a really cool ride so far getting used to Ubuntu, and I'm loving it so far.

As I understand it, gimp 2.7 is the development version of the program. 2.6 is the current stable version. 2.7 is something you should only install if you're a programmer interested in building the next full version, which is 2.8.

As it's not an actually released revision, it's generally available by (A) downloading the source code from a mirror (like this -- for some reason, ftp.gimp.org is broken right now), unpack and follow the instructions in the INSTALL or README file; (B) add a repository specifically made for development versions of gimp to your repository list (such as described here); or (C) join the dark side, install Archlinux.

All the above are bad ideas unless you're a crazy programmer person who doesn't mind your libraries exploding. Exploding libraries are one of the things that happen when you use versions of software that are in the middle of the development phase. This isn't always terrible, but the gimp toolkit is the basis for half the graphical apps you likely use (including all of GNOME, LXDE and XFCE).
So are you saying that I should just forget about 2.7 and wait till they finish 2.8 stable?

rpg_poser

As it's not an actually released revision, it's generally available by (A) downloading the source code from a mirror (like this -- for some reason, ftp.gimp.org is broken right now), unpack and follow the instructions in the INSTALL or README file; (B) add a repository specifically made for development versions of gimp to your repository list (such as described here); or (C) join the dark side, install Archlinux.

I guess I might be a little more open to exploration. I see nothing wrong with compiling a dev version of an application, especially one which gets heavy use, like gimp.
Option "(A)" from above seems like the best to me. You will have to install some libraries to get it to compile, but having libraries on your PC isn't a bad thing unless you are worried about disk space. I was able to download the source code for version 2.7.0 at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7 without any problem. I can't compile it on my windows work PC, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gimp 2.8 shooooouuld be released soon, then again they've been saying that for years so who knows.

I'm running 2.7 on my Windows PCs and it's pretty awesome, although it has a bug with the default Sans font.

I was able to download the source code for version 2.7.0 at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7 without any problem.

Wow, that's really weird. My work computer can directly download it, and my home computer can directly download it, but when I use my home computer as a proxy at work, it can't access the server.

Thanks for all the help. It's definitely been a really cool ride so far getting used to Ubuntu, and I'm loving it so far.

So are you saying that I should just forget about 2.7 and wait till they finish 2.8 stable?

Pfff, it can't hurt to try. I don't recommend doing it by adding repositories unless you've really messed around with repositories before. Doing that is the equivalent of downloading random exe files in Windows and opening them. Chances are, you'll be fine, but sooner or later something bad could happen, then you have to deal with the fallout.

Here's the manly way to do it:
* Browse to ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7/ and download the "gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2" file.
* Expand the file either with your file manager or by visiting the directory in your terminal and typing "tar -jxf gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2"
* In a terminal, visit the directory and type "./configure"
* If the above does not complain, type "make". Then after a big wall of text the program will be available in that specific directory tree, probably by typing "bin/gimp", since it'll likely be in the "bin" subdirectory, which is a name for where programs go.
* Past that, to actually put it on the system so it can be used globally and so it shows up in the app menus and so forth, "make install"

Chances are, the "./configure" step will yell about having the wrong version of something or other. For example, my opensuse 11.4 system at work had the wrong version of intltool. My archlinux system at home was missing the python source code -- when you install something from source, you need the source version of any libraries and such that it uses. This can make the whole process incredibly annoying. So, yeah, waiting might be a good idea, unless you just want to play around. :)

This is, in fact, the reason why Linux won me over with respect to software distribution in '00, having had to create what essentially was a free "app store" more than ten years before Apple did it. It was a desperately needed solution to a problem nobody wanted to deal with quite so often, and it frankly annoyed the crap out of me how primitive the process felt elsewhere for most of a decade.

rpg_poser

Wow, that's really weird. My work computer can directly download it, and my home computer can directly download it, but when I use my home computer as a proxy at work, it can't access the server.

I am not allowed to access my home PC from work, sure would be fun if I could.

Pfff, it can't hurt to try. I don't recommend doing it by adding repositories unless you've really messed around with repositories before. Doing that is the equivalent of downloading random exe files in Windows and opening them. Chances are, you'll be fine, but sooner or later something bad could happen, then you have to deal with the fallout.

True, I only add custom repositories for software I need them for, keep it simple.

Here's the manly way to do it:
* Browse to ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7/ and download the "gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2" file.
* Expand the file either with your file manager or by visiting the directory in your terminal and typing "tar -jxf gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2"
* In a terminal, visit the directory and type "./configure"
* If the above does not complain, type "make". Then after a big wall of text the program will be available in that specific directory tree, probably by typing "bin/gimp", since it'll likely be in the "bin" subdirectory, which is a name for where programs go.
* Past that, to actually put it on the system so it can be used globally and so it shows up in the app menus and so forth, "make install".

This is process of compiling software, you will become familiar with it.

Chances are, the "./configure" step will yell about having the wrong version of something or other. For example, my opensuse 11.4 system at work had the wrong version of intltool. My archlinux system at home was missing the python source code -- when you install something from source, you need the source version of any libraries and such that it uses. This can make the whole process incredibly annoying. So, yeah, waiting might be a good idea, unless you just want to play around. :)

As you compile, there will be a console window open which shows every step of the process as Gimp compiles. There may be errors if the correct libraries are not installed and the errors will tell which ones to install.

This is, in fact, the reason why Linux won me over with respect to software distribution in '00, having had to create what essentially was a free "app store" more than ten years before Apple did it. It was a desperately needed solution to a problem nobody wanted to deal with quite so often, and it frankly annoyed the crap out of me how primitive the process felt elsewhere for most of a decade.

Lots of things to love about Linux, just wish accelerated video for ATI cards was better. This is why I will say again that if you are a windows gamer, stay with windows.

Top Bottom