• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

I can't do much in this thread as I've yet to take the alternative OS plunge aside from being oddly curious about Mint, and keeping active tabs on the Haiku, and Icaros/AmigaOS side of things----but on the other hand, seeing this just now and it strikes me as a sign of the times with respect to Linux indeed.

http://indiegames.com/2012/04/linux_tycoon_a_linux_distro_bu.html
http://lunduke.com/?page_id=2646

...the only Linux distro simulation game in existence, and I'm inclined to believe such a claim.

In Linux Tycoon, players are tasked with fixing bugs, choosing software packages, and keeping file sizes low in a Linux distribution package that will be evalutated and rated by your peers. This is all handled in simple, management-focused gameplay that simulates the fun parts of building a distro, however -- no actual programming is involved.

Linux Tycoon is available for Linux and MacOS X, with a Windows version in the works. The game is currently in beta, and can be purchased directly from Lunduke's site for $4.

survivor

Banned
I don't know if it's a problem with my settings or something I screwed up, but does the text on GAF appear small to anyone else when they are using Chrome or Firefox?

I'm using Xubuntu and when I visit GAF, the text for posts and thread titles is smaller than usual, but the text for the navigation thing at the top (User CP, Subscriptions, etc) is normal.

I don't know if it's a problem with my settings or something I screwed up, but does the text on GAF appear small to anyone else when they are using Chrome or Firefox?

I'm using Xubuntu and when I visit GAF, the text for posts and thread titles is smaller than usual, but the text for the navigation thing at the top (User CP, Subscriptions, etc) is normal.

It's fine here. Firefox is probably using the gtk default settings, and Chrome uses whatever your desktop environment's default settings are, which in xfce's case is probably gtk's.

You could try running xfce4-settings-manager → Appearance → Fonts and increasing the size of the default font. That seems like it'd be pretty easy. I'd imagine that you already have this figured out, in fact.

Tangent: I hate that Chrome (or Chromium, as it's named on Arch) uses the desktop environment's proxy settings. On rare occasions (for not illegal purposes), I need to have multiple proxies running at once, and I feel like I'm super limited in terms of what browsers I can use for this.

Further tangent: I hate that Google used the name "Chrome", which was already a browser-related term (that's the name for the gui component of Firefox and other Mozilla software), and I'm annoyed that their development version (used on Linux much more than on any other platform) was named Chromium, as there was already a package with that name in most Linux distros. It just felt like a flagrant disregard of common courtesy, like if I named my GIS presentation software "Gmail" (for some reason).

freddy

Banned

Yea, it was small for me. In Firefox you can zoom a page in and out by holding down Ctrl and using the mouse wheel. If you want to zoom text only you have to temporarily enable the menu bar, then view>zoom and tick zoom text only. There's probably an easier way but that works for me. As long as you don't automatically delete site preferences when you close Firefox the changes will stick for each sub-domain you do it for, forever.

There's also a checkbox in preferences>content>fonts and colours>advanced that lets sites choose their own font settings. Unticking or ticking that can make a difference as well.

survivor

Banned
It's fine here. Firefox is probably using the gtk default settings, and Chrome uses whatever your desktop environment's default settings are, which in xfce's case is probably gtk's.

You could try running xfce4-settings-manager → Appearance → Fonts and increasing the size of the default font. That seems like it'd be pretty easy. I'd imagine that you already have this figured out, in fact.
Yea, it was small for me. In Firefox you can zoom a page in and out by holding down Ctrl and using the mouse wheel. If you want to zoom text only you have to temporarily enable the menu bar, then view>zoom and tick zoom text only. There's probably an easier way but that works for me. As long as you don't automatically delete site preferences when you close Firefox the changes will stick for each sub-domain you do it for, forever.

There's also a checkbox in preferences>content>fonts and colours>advanced that lets sites choose their own font settings. Unticking or ticking that can make a difference as well.

Tried all your suggestion and nothing seemed to increase the font for the posts text. I did notice, however, that it was a little bigger on Firefox. I'm honestly tempted now to try another distro and see if it will be different

Thanks for the help

Massa

Tried all your suggestion and nothing seemed to increase the font for the posts text. I did notice, however, that it was a little bigger on Firefox. I'm honestly tempted now to try another distro and see if it will be different

Thanks for the help

Do you have Microsoft fonts installed? If you don't have Verdana then GAF falls back to a standard Linux font that looks a little smaller.

freddy

Banned

Code:
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
will get you all the Microsoft fonts so you can try the suggestion above.

I'm not sure why your Firefox zoom isn't working but, in Firefox, try going into preferences>content and in fonts and colours>advanced. One of the settings there is set minimum font size.

Izick

Do HTML 5 Youtube (video) pages crash on Google Chrome Chromium for anyone else?

It's not even a matter of once every couple times, it's every single time as soon as I open the page and the video begins to load. I get the "He's dead, Jim." page within seconds as the page begins to load, every time.

Do HTML 5 Youtube (video) pages crash on Google Chrome for anyone else?

It's not even a matter of once every couple times, it's every single time as soon as I open the page and the video begins to load. I get the "He's dead, Jim." page within seconds as the page begins to load, every time.
It doesn't work for me either.

Izick

It doesn't work for me either.

It's kind of funny, because everyone tells me not to worry about Flash being shit on videos because HTML 5 is the future, and the damn thing won't even work on Youtube. :p

(I'm going to check Firefox and Opera to see if this persists.)

hitsugi

Does anyone have a strange tint on certain YouTube videos? Started maybe a week ago.. Cant seem to find a legit solution to it. Using Ubuntu 11.10

Izick

18.0.1025.142 (Developer Build 0 Linux)

I'm using the same version but compiled on my own machine. Could be an ffmpeg related issue. Did the issue just start today?

Seeing blue people?

No, it's been persisting for a while now. I've had "HTML5 trial" turned off, but there's always the rare video that goes to HTML 5 anyways and crashes Chromium.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

ki2oM.jpg

It's kind of funny, because everyone tells me not to worry about Flash being shit on videos because HTML 5 is the future, and the damn thing won't even work on Youtube. :p

(I'm going to check Firefox and Opera to see if this persists.)

One important difference is that there's only one Flash renderer, and if that's broken, it's broken. There are a bunch of HTML5 renderers, so if one breaks you can just use another. Hell, sometimes you can even change the renderer in the same browser!

freddy

Banned
Does anyone have a strange tint on certain YouTube videos? Started maybe a week ago.. Cant seem to find a legit solution to it. Using Ubuntu 11.10

There's a few solutions to this. It seems to only affect people with Nividia cards. Adobe released their last flash version for Linux with colours inverted. It was like this for months in beta but they don't support Linux now sso they don't care.If you can right click a flash video and turn hardware acceleration off then that should fix it. If it doesn't there's a few other methods.

PS: sometimes Compiz won't let you right click in flash so log in Ubuntu 2d and do it from there.

edit: This is of course if you've tried the fixes in Angelfly's post and they don't work.

Apparently, the Banner Saga guys are going to be porting the game to Linux at some point. :)

Excellent. I personally plan to generally pledge on games that support Linux (at least, if they look like they'd be my kind of fun!).

I'm still sad that I totally missed out on helping along FTL. It looked like it had promise, but I had a big weekend thing and totally forgot about it! :(

zoku88

So, out of curiosity, what's everyone's Linux history?

My first experience with Linux was pretty much on my school computers in 2006. They all had Athena Linux (version 9, I believe).

Then, during the summer of my first year, I decided to try out Linux on my own computer. For that, I chose Kubuntu, because "it looked prettier". HAHA

I didn't really stick with it, though. I never really used it as my main OS.

I didn't really start to use Linux more until my senior year. During the spring semester, I was working on a lot of projects at the same time that were hosted in my home directory of campus servers. So, I installed Kubuntu on my netbook and just ssh'd into the campus's servers.

Later, I found that I actually didn't like KDE at all (well, more like, I knew I didn't like it since 2007...) so I uninstalled the kubuntu packages and isntalled the ubuntu ones. I don't recommend this though, the keyring stuff turns into a mess, it feels like.

Anyway, after graduation and while I was job searching, I installed Ubuntu on my main laptop. (The 10.10, I think.)j Then I started really getting into it.

Then I ran into annoyances with Ubuntu's package management system. I wanted to update empathy, but the update wasn't available for the current version of Ubuntu (but was for Natty, which wasn't released yet.) After failures of trying to get packages to support building it myself, I basically just got frustrated with Ubuntu's release philosophy.

That, and I tried Unity on my netbook, and it sucked. So, I went searching around in Wikipedia and found that Arch and Gentoo had rolling releases. So, I picked Gentoo almost randomly and here I am now. :) That was around January 2011.

Izick

Well, mine isn't as long as interesting as yours, but basically, earlier this year, for some reason my HDD blanked off and died out of the blue.

Being a student, I don't have much money, but I managed to scrape together enough funds for a brand new HDD, but barely. Much to my chagrin, I realized that Windows 7 came pre-installed on my HDD, and I didn't, nor did anyone I know, have a spare disc. I was considering Linux before I realized this fact, but this basically solidified that I'd be using a Linux distro as my main OS on my laptop and new HDD.

So, after investigating a couple of distros, mostly beginner stuff like Linux Mint and a few others, I stumbled upon Ubuntu/Unity and I fell in love with it. Not only did it feel different, but to me, it didn't feel like a Windows knock-off like a lot of the other desktop manager GUI's. It felt like a cross between some Windows 7, Mac OS X, and something completely different. The style is what drew me in, but once I learned that it was very user friendly, and would work as a great gateway into learning about Linux, I decided on it, and I've been very, very happy ever since.

angelfly

First version I ever used was a copy a Caldera that the guy who ran the community center where I lived installed on one of the machines. It was running KDE and I still remember thinking "Wow, this is pretty cool". I was cool with the guy and we'd always discuss things like programming and network security so naturally after that we starting talking more about Linux. After about two weeks of using it for long periods I really wanted to use it on my own PC. At the time however I didn't have internet at home and I was only about 13 or 14 so downloading or buying a $100 boxed copy of any distro was out of the question. So I went down to the local CompUSA and picked up an intro book cheap simply because it included a distro with it. It was Red Hat Linux 5.2 and that was the 2nd distro I used.

I stuck with Redhat for a good while and eventually starting buying it in stores. At some point I switched to Mandrake (now Mandriva) which at the time was advertised as "Red Hat with upgrades". I didn't really stick with it long and at that point I started to doing a bit of distro hopping (as well as a short stay with FreeBSD) until I settled on Slackware. It was around that period I started to focus more on other matter like the GPL and other free software licencses.

After about a year with Slackware is when I stopped dual booting with Windows and went fulltime with Linux. After about 5 years I decided to try something new. Since by this point I felt I could use any distro without any problems I gave Linux from Scratch a try. It was an awesome experience and awesome feeling to use a distro I built myself from the ground up. About 3 or 4 months later I decided that maintaining it wasn't hard but just too much work so I went distro hunting again. I settled on Gentoo since it was getting great word of mouth at the time and the idea of a rolling distro as well as how customizable it is was a big win in my mind.

Fast forward about 6 1/2 years later I'm still running it. Over the years I've tried a couple of other distros like Ubuntu (which I think was Dapper Drake) and Fedora on test machines just to get a feel for them and see what they bring to the table. For the foreseeable future I don't see myself moving away from Gentoo.

Aside from that I've also worked with various *nix systems (AIX, IRIX, Solaris, etc) on the job.

zoku88

angelfly: Is that like, 11 total years @_@ That's impressive. I hadn't even heard of Caldera before. (though, I had heard of SCO... of course.....)

izick: Out of curiosity, what kind of computer do you run Ubuntu on? I thought Unity used full screen applications by default. I thought that would be kind of annoying on a bigger monitor.

Izick

angelfly: Is that like, 11 total years @_@ That's impressive. I hadn't even heard of Caldera before. (though, I had heard of SCO... of course.....)

iznik: Out of curiosity, what kind of computer do you run Ubuntu on? I thought Unity used full screen applications by default. I thought that would be kind of annoying on a bigger monitor.

I've been running it on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I could definitely see where it could be a problem on larger monitors.

zoku88

I've been running it on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I could definitely see where it could be a problem on larger monitors.

I used to run Unity on my netbook (10"?) and full screen applications make sense for that.

Not sure how big the satellite is, but I'm guessing a normal 14-15 inch laptop.

I would think, if they were smart, that they would change whether or not applications launch fullscreen or not based on the resolution. Maybe they already do. I actually heard that applications launch full screen in GNOME 3.4, as well.. :-/

Krelian

I love reading about you guys' Linux history! Here's mine:

My first introduction to Linux was with SUSE Linux 6.3 in 1999 that was bundled with a special edition of the Chip magazine (a German computer magazine). From a schoolmate I learned about other Linux distributions and that "SUSE sucks", though it was fine in my opinion. It was more Windows like than some other Linux distributions back in the day, which he considered inferior.

Then came my time with Red Head, where I learned to love GNOME. Before that I always used KDE because I was more familiar with it since SUSE. I bought (and still have) a boxed version of version 7. At the time I only had dial up, downloading a whole distro was impossible.

I didn't stay with Red Head very long and started distro hopping. I remember that I used a 2.2.x kernel for a while before trying out the bleeding edge 2.3 kernel on Rock Linux (which was a distro itself once, now not so much) that eventually became kernel version 2.4. I also tried Mandrake and Slackware. Slackware was the first distro I used for a long time without changing distos.

All this time I tried to use Linux as much as possible and it was while using Slackware that I ditched Windows completely. I also played games under Linux. I was blown away when I could first use my old ATI card's 3D capabilities. It wasn't a powerful card though, so I used an old Voodoo 2 card in conjunction. Playing mostly Unreal Tournament there was no downside with using Linux.

With my new PC in 2003 I also changed distributions and made sure to get an Nvidia card since it was simply the best supported driver-wise. Times haven't changed in all this time in this regard. I also switched distros again after using Slackware for a while. This time I installed Gentoo and boy did I love it. It had the same BSD style init system and it was amazing how simple installing new packages was, even though some took a long time compiling.

I used Gentoo the longest without ever having Windows beside it. I tried some other distros and OS's on separate partitions though. Linux from Scratch, Mandrake, FreeBSD, whatever new one got released. I don't know when but I also tried Ubuntu and outright hated it. No root as separate account? What madman invented this? :p

After a while I had to stop using Linux because my job required Windows and I had to spend so much time in Windows that it was pointless to even have a Linux install.

I eventually switched to a Mac (with Bootcamp Windows installed) and am now mostly using Mac OS X. As someone coming from Linux I love that OS X is a Unix at its core and that I can use the commandline as much as on Linux.

At work I still use Linux (Ubuntu now which I don't hate as much anymore :) and I got it on my server. One day I may install it as my main OS again.

Seems like angelfly had a similar history with Red Head and Slackware :)

So, out of curiosity, what's everyone's Linux history?

I got a PC second hand in 2003 that had SuSE Pro installed, used that for couple of years and then the system went and shit on itself, used a Ubuntu Live-CD to salvage to save all the files and installed Ubuntu. And been rocking on that since then.

Izick

I used to run Unity on my netbook (10"?) and full screen applications make sense for that.

Not sure how big the satellite is, but I'm guessing a normal 14-15 inch laptop.

I would think, if they were smart, that they would change whether or not applications launch fullscreen or not based on the resolution. Maybe they already do. I actually heard that applications launch full screen in GNOME 3.4, as well.. :-/

Yeah, that's right about the size of the screen. I'm not sure if they change that up, since I've only used it on my laptop, but I would think that's something Canonical would be looking into. They seem to be cleaning up a lot of mistakes and overlooks with the upcoming 12.04, so it may be a unsung upgrade packaged in.

Also, I love hearing about everyone's history with Linux here. It's really cool because I'm a newbie, and it's awesome hearing about all these different distros and experiences, but instead of reading them from a straightforward Wiki page or something, you get to hear real people's experiences with them and how they affected their lives. Awesome stuff!

-KRS-

My history with Linux starts in 2004 IIRC. My friend was studying IT stuff in college and they started learning how to use Linux. They had Fedora Core 3 on their laptops, and he brought his laptop to my place one time and I tried it and became intrigued. I had heard about Linux before but I had never actually thought about using it myself for some reason.

But now that I had cut my teeth a little, and because I was a bit tired of Windows, I downloaded Fedora Core 3 and installed it as my main OS just like that. I quit windows cold-turkey. I found though that I didn't really understand how things worked. I didn't even completely understand how to install new applications, even though yum is so easy to use. Package managers was completely new for me and I didn't feel comfortable, so I switched back to WinXP after about 3 weeks.

Then I used XP for 6 more months before I was bored with it again. This time I had heard about this distro called Ubuntu which was supposed to be good for beginners, so I downloaded that and installed it as my main OS. That time it really clicked with me, and since then I haven't used Windows on any of my machines.

I used Ubuntu for a year or two, until I felt comfortable enough with it. Then I started looking at distros for more advanced users because I wanted to learn more. I could use Ubuntu but anytime X11 broke, I had to reinstall Ubuntu because I didn't know how to fix things in the terminal. So I looked at Slackware and installed that as my main OS. I chose the install that also installs the complete KDE desktop because I didn't know enough to install everything myself at that time.

I chose Slackware mainly because of this saying I heard back then: "If you learn how to use Ubuntu, you know how to use Ubuntu. But if you learn how to use Slackware, you know how to use Linux." And I have to say that that saying is completely true.

Then at the start of 2006 or so, there were talks about creating a new distro on a Swedish IT forum that I used to frequent back then. They were looking for help, and I thought that since I had a 10mbit upload rate on my internet connection, I could help out with an FTP mirror for their stuff because they needed one. So that's how I became involved in that project at the start. Later I became a tester for them and I helped out with tons of other stuff as well, and after a while we had become such good friends that they put me in charge of package maintanence (e.g. creating and updating packages for applications and deciding which repository to put them in, etc.) and I also became the admin of one of their servers.

So naturally I started using this distro on my computers, so that's what I ran for a couple of years. That distro is called Enlisy btw, for anyone interested. It has been inactive for a while since we never got many devs other than us, but I've noticed that some of the guys has started updating stuff again recently. So maybe we'll have a comeback soon. :)

Enlisy was in some ways inspired by Arch Linux, so when activity died down a couple of years later, and because I had used Slackware before which also uses bsd-init, I switched to Arch on all my computers and that's what I'm still using today.

So yeah, that's my story. I've never dual-booted Windows and Linux btw. Once I decided that I wanted to learn how to use Linux I switched completely and never looked back. It meant that there were a lot of frustration in the beginning, but I don't regret it for one second nowadays.

Some dates may be a bit off.

That Linux Tycoon game I posted a little while back? Now works on Windows and has an amusing Beta 2 out!

http://lunduke.com/?p=2721

-You can now pause the game (see that button in the top right?… pause button. Revolutionary, right?)
-The “Assign Workers” view now shows the bug count for each package (so you don’t need to hop back and forth between there and the Edit Packages view all the time).
-Events and messages are now displayed in a central area, with a scrollable history.
-You can set the icon for your Distro (right click on the tux icon and set that icon to whatever you like). 32 pixels by 32 pixels.
-A bit of a visual update throughout the game – including new buttons that fit in better with the overall look and feel, and a new “Main Menu” when you first launch the game.

All of those are awesome.

But there’s one more new goodie that is super awesome: Scenarios.

You can now build your own “Linux Tycoon Scenario” file that has your own list of packages and distros to play against (that completely replaces the built-in ones).

The possibilities are… just plain awesome.

-Build a scenario that consists of real-world packages and real-world distro’s. Compete against “Ubuntu”, “Fedora”, “OpenSuse” and whatever else you’d like! Heck, you could even mirror DistroWatch’s list!
-Build a scenario where you compete against “Windows”, “MacOS X” and… just for the heck of it let’s say “AmigaOS”.

-Build a scenario that I haven’t even thought of yet that is so awesome my head explodes.

A Scenario is a simple XML file, that you can edit with any plain old text editor, with a “.ltx” extension (“Linux Tycoon XML”). The format is pretty simple to follow. See the Example.ltx file here for more information. If you have questions on this, don’t hesitate to ask in the Linux Tycoon Forum.

And, because it’s a single file, you can share it with the world.

FACT: There is no better path to fame and glory than to create awesome Linux Tycoon Scenarios.

Just a reminder: Linux Tycoon is still “Beta”. It’s a load of fun and being enjoyed by mobs of people around the world… but there are still new features and new game-tweaks coming. If you’d like to help shape the future of Linux Tycoon, the forum is the place to be.

Izick

So Chromium has been fucking up for me over the past few days (I mentioned some of the problems in this thread earlier), and I was thinking about downloading Chrome. I'm kind of against it because I thought the whole open-source part of Linux was great, but I guess it's not a huge deal.

My question is, I downloaded the .deb file of Chrome stable, and I'm about to install it through the software center, can I uninstall everything through there if everything doesn't work out, just as easily as I installed it? Also, does Google pack in any weird shit like Google Updater, like they do for the Windows version of Chrome?

zoku88

So Chromium has been fucking up for me over the past few days (I mentioned some of the problems in this thread earlier), and I was thinking about downloading Chrome. I'm kind of against it because I thought the whole open-source part of Linux was great, but I guess it's not a huge deal.

My question is, I downloaded the .deb file of Chrome stable, and I'm about to install it through the software center, can I uninstall everything through there if everything doesn't work out, just as easily as I installed it? Also, does Google pack in any weird shit like Google Updater, like they do for the Windows version of Chrome?

I'm not sure how the Chrome works (I haven't had Chrome for a while), so I'm not sure if it will have some type of updater daemon running or something.

As far as the uninstalling things goes, since you're getting it from a .deb file, your package manager should recognize it, so it should be easy to uninstall from the package manager.

freddy

Banned
I think the .deb file on Chrome installs repositories now so it updates via those. The speed on them was atrocious last time I used them. Software Center handles .deb so it'll be in there if you want to uninstall.

Izick

Alright, I just installed Chrome.

I'm not sure why, if it's having less add-ons or it just being a brand new install, but everything is noticeably faster than it was in Chromium. I think it's just the lack of add-ons or new install though.

(I wish I could import my bookmarks from Chromium. Only gives me the option to import from Firefox.)

freddy

Banned
Have a look for something like this .config/google-chrome/Default/Bookmarks and something like this .config/chromium/Default/Bookmarks in your home folder and copy paste them across.

zoku88

What laptop company makes the best Linux computers?

Is System76 good?

I would think that as long as the hardware isn't too exotic, all would be pretty much the same.

I guess the only catch, in my experience, is networking and bluetooth.

So, whenever you buy a computer or something, I would just do a quick search to see how the particular network devices work in Linux.

I would think that as long as the hardware isn't too exotic, all would be pretty much the same.

I guess the only catch, in my experience, is networking and bluetooth.

So, whenever you buy a computer or something, I would just do a quick search to see how the particular network devices work in Linux.

The thing is though is that some laptop act sketchier than others. For example my current one has a problem of not sleeping at times when I close the lid, or freezing after I close.

anyone tried mosh yet? [ssh "improvements"] http://mosh.mit.edu/?#about

I feel bad for the guy who wrote the scheme interpreter which is also called "mosh". Way back when, it was considered bad form to take a name that's already been used for another app on similar platforms.

Nonetheless, this looks pretty great. For my purposes, it's not too functionally different from "while [ true ]; do ssh <host> -t screen -Rd <sessionname>; done", but it's probably a more elegant solution. :)

edit: Hrm, the version available on the Arch User Repository just pukes out exceptions and quits. Bummer. I'll have to try later on.

Top Bottom