• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live-action Akira adaptation to get yet another script rewrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Apparently Warners have, from very early on, intended to adapt the actual Akira graphic novels (which the film is based on) rather than a direct live action remake of the animated film itself.

I am lead to believe that these graphic novels have enough source material for a potential franchise/series of films rather than just stretching out the animated film.

Well, let me put it this way: the movie was basically the first two and a half-ish volumes of the manga with whatever ending Otomo had to come up with to fit the runtime and the fact that the manga, at the time, had yet to conclude. There are still three more complete volumes that have as of yet never been seen on screen, and they go in a drastically different direction than the film does. It could definitely wind up as a cool film series.

That being said, I'm not sure how well it could work as a non-Japanese film series.

ElTopo

Banned
why do they want to make this happen so much?

Theres a real fucking strange obsession with the studios about this

Because Akira has a ton of name-brand recognition. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and to a lesser extent Urotsukidoji are very (in)famous around the world.

Also, I could see a live action more horror-focused Urotsukidoji movie being made.

Gonzalez

Banned
Well, let me put it this way: the movie was basically the first two and a half-ish volumes of the manga with whatever ending Otomo had to come up with to fit the runtime and the fact that the manga, at the time, had yet to conclude. There are still three more complete volumes that have as of yet never been seen on screen, and they go in a drastically different direction than the film does. It could definitely wind up as a cool film series.

That being said, I'm not sure how well it could work as a non-Japanese film series.
Well as you know after Tetsuo, and
Akira destroy Neo-Tokyo, the story almost turns into a post-apocalyptic Mad Max book.
So I was thnking with the recent modest success of Mad Max: Fury Road, and with George Miller being under the Warners umbrella that they could somehow get him to direct it, and sell it as the big magnum opus his career has been building to. To me that could be a great way to get people to finally be interested in this adaptation.

abadguy

Banned
I feel that the appeal of Akira is far more due to its masterful animation than anything else. The story itself isn't all that great, and no level of computer effects will match what made the animation special. So, even if this is a good adaptation (which it won't be), by its very nature, it can't be as good as the original.
The animated adaption itself was basically "cliffnotes" of the source material anyway. The movie has amazing animation and the graphic novels it was based on told an excellent story. Problem is you're not going to fit over 6000+ pages of story into a 120 min film. Instead of some shitty live action Akira, i'd rather it got the "Rebuild" treatment and split the story across 4 films.

styl3s

Seriously. You cannot do right by this anime or manga. Just stop.,

Nobody is going to be able to change that...
People said the same thing about comic books for decades. And look how long Watchmen was in limbo.

I don't get upset over remakes or adaptations i welcome them because i like to see other peoples visions of the movie. Take Scarface, brilliant remake. The Thing was another fantastic remake and Watchmen IMO is one the best adaptations from a comic. Will Akira live action suck? Maybe, but if you go into something hating it you are almost guaranteed to have a bad time.

ninjabat

After WB changed All You Need Is Kill's Title to Edge Of Tomorrow, I wonder if they will change Akira's title. I doubt they will end up using a Japanese name as the title for a blockbuster.

Skinpop

I hope it never gets made.

After WB changed All You Need Is Kill's Title to Edge Of Tomorrow, I wonder if they will change Akira's title. I doubt they will end up using a Japanese name as the title for a blockbuster.
"akira" is too recognizable not to use.

G-Fex

Because Akira has a ton of name-brand recognition. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and to a lesser extent Urotsukidoji are very (in)famous around the world.

Also, I could see a live action more horror-focused Urotsukidoji movie being made.

Yeah brand name recognition really worked out for those DBZ guys

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah brand name recognition really worked out for those DBZ guys

It did actually. If that movie wasn't called Dragonball then it would have had even less take at the box office.

Name-brand recognition is why we get so many remakes too.

Arkeband

Banned
Who leaks information about script rewrites for movies with no one attached? Is there a process involved where scripts have been submitted and accepted/rejected and that goes into some record?

Because for all we know the script has been through infinite rewrites and these sites tell us occasionally when they've calculated non-news will get them the most page views.

Though I don't know why Akira would be interesting in live action, the entire draw of the anime was that it raised the bar for animation.

Ke0

R6s5Ebn.jpg

https://youtu.be/t1GO-93Nt3c

Even if they do it, they'll never get close to this one! West always sticking their nose & ruining every japanese masterpiece out there.They make me sick! Reminder: every fighting game live action adaptation, Street Fighter,King of Fighters,Tekken,Dead or Alive, and I don't even wanna recall 'Oldboy'...Disgusting!

Onemic

Considering that Akira's story is pretty terrible anyway, there's no way there could ever be a good live adaptation of this, even in the hands of a good director/screenwirter. The best you could hope for is something like Speed Racer.

abadguy

Banned
*AND Stephen Chow.

Fuck that movie was awful.

It actually managed to be worse than The Last Airbender. One has to work hard to achieve that. Made it even funnier when they explained the Kamehameha, as an "airbending technique". Boy what a shit show.

Seriously though i hope that Akira remains in development hell. It's bad enough they're going to shit up Ghost in The Shell. Battle Angel was the only adaption that had any chance of being remotely good, and that shit ain't happening in my lifetime thanks to Avatar sequels. So far the only decent anime adaption from Hollywood has been Speed Racer.

Considering that Akira's story is pretty terrible anyway, there's no way there could ever be a good live adaptation of this, even in the hands of a good director/screenwirter. The best you could hope for is something like Speed Racer.

Except Akira's story is far from terrible, if you've read the source material. Which the film supposedly would draw from. Thing is they'll fuck it up anyway and not make it to the second book.

Again the animated movie takes a small portion of the overall story and adapts it. It's a companion piece at best.

Onemic

It actually managed to be worse than The Last Airbender. One has to work hard to achieve that. Made it even funnier when they explained the Kamehameha, as an "airbending technique". Boy what a shit show.

Seriously though i hope that Akira remains in development hell. It's bad enough they're going to shit up Ghost in The Shell. Battle Angel was the only adaption that had any chance of being remotely good, and that shit ain't happening in my lifetime thanks to Avatar sequels. So far the only decent anime adaption from Hollywood has been Speed Racer.

Except Akira's story is far from terrible, if you've read the source material. Which the film supposedly would draw from. Thing is they'll fuck it up anyway and not make it to the second book.

Again the animated movie takes a small portion of the overall story and adapts it. It's a companion piece at best.

Shouldve said I meant the anime, not the manga.

Didnt know they were drawing from the manga either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom